• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zeliard said:
Dunno. I think it was Zefah earlier saying the exclusive side quest was pretty dope.
Nah, apparently it's a small area with a couple guards, you rescue the dude and then you head back. Uneventful and tacked on.

Zeliard

Aw.

Still, stuff like that shouldn't be locked out, and I hope they decide to release it to everyone eventually (for free).

OG Kush

Just finished the 2nd boss. How much longer left?
Also this game is so fucking amazing, atleast for me. I lvoe the whole atmosphere, the storyline (illumanity, new world order etc).. the dialogue is great - heard ppl talking about how the moon landing was staged haha i love this game.
Also had a really surprising moment where i threw a gas grenade at all the guards who come after you just after you meet the chinese lady and she gets away. I never knew one grenade would take them all down. Was an extremely cool moment.

OG Kush said:
Just finished the 2nd boss. How much longer left?
Also this game is so fucking amazing, atleast for me. I lvoe the whole atmosphere, the storyline (illumanity, new world order etc).. the dialogue is great - heard ppl talking about how the moon landing was staged haha i love this game.
Also had a really surprising moment where i threw a gas grenade at all the guards who come after you just after you meet the chinese lady and she gets away. I never knew one grenade would take them all down. Was an extremely cool moment.
I'd say you're 60-70% through the game.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well I've reached
Panchea (sp?)
. Will do that tomorrow. The game has been amazing.

The two missions prior to that were so awesome. I loved
the Hengsha docks, and just hacking into robots and turrets, letting them destroy everything in their sight. Love having so much control over the level. Very refreshing.

Darklord

Banned
2 things about the end game area(I think?).

After the crazy people run loose I got a message saying Sarif and that human front guy need help. Is it easy to stumble across them or do you have to search? I don't want to accidently miss that.

Secondly, is there a 4th boss? I dumped by plasma rifle for a non-lethal weapon but I see ammo everywhere like it's preparing me for a boss.

Solo

ezekial45 said:
Quick question about Jensen's pilot, after leaving Detroit the second time.

is it possible to save her from the ambush? They'res a lot of heavily armed soldiers there. I'd like to keep her alive if possible.

Only if you're a boss.

Darklord said:
2 things about the end game area(I think?).

After the crazy people run loose I got a message saying Sarif and that human front guy need help. Is it easy to stumble across them or do you have to search? I don't want to accidently miss that.

Secondly, is there a 4th boss? I dumped by plasma rifle for a non-lethal weapon but I see ammo everywhere like it's preparing me for a boss.
I stumbled across both of them, but you might have to search around.

Second, yes.

Solo

Wallach said:
My biggest complaint with this game is definitely the XP system. It really did not get enough consideration.

At least there is no MIBs in this game, though. Dumbest shit ever.

Men In Black? Yes there are...

Treemonkeys said:
Been going through my second playthrough, my first was no alarms/no kills and now I'm just fighting my way through.

It really brings out the problems with the games exp system and it's hindering my enjoyment of a 2nd run.

First of all - lethal takedowns - what on earth is the point? Apparently to look cool at the detriment of the player. Less exp, more noise, zero benefit. WTF were they thinking with this?

This of course is tied to the bigger problem of overall less exp for non-stealth, I know other people have complained about it but I didn't realize how annoying it was until I actually started playing differently.

Another think that has been brought up, hacking. It was kind of fun during the first play, but now its annoying, so even less exp even if I found the code or whatever. Also, the original game did it right where you could control turrets/bots via the password but had to upgrade to be good enough at hacking to do it. In this game even if you have the code you still can't shut down the turrets or bots, so nevermind that I gained full access to the security console, let me crawl through the vent to get past the turret. Stupid.

Something I haven't really seen brought up - exp for crawling through vents and other such crap. I HATE this. The first game did this right where you get exp for reaching a LOCATION regardless of what path was used. The result of this is you have to decide if you want to proceed with the game or backtrack to kill immersion but better your augs.

Exp system could really use a overhaul, and the game feels a little rushed as you get closer to the end. More varied enemies and locations should have been there, did not have any of the WTF IS THIS SHIT moments of the first game ...
Overall an amazing game but does not live up to the greatest of the original. I'd like to see a sequel to this game where they are allowed much more time to flesh out the details of the gameplay and story.

Definitely agree on every point.
If they do make a sequel I hope they drastically refine some parts of the game.

Hacking is a nice mini-game, but not nice enough to playing it hundreds of times for the hundreds of terminals, doors & PC's in the game. This game is so heavily dependent on stealth they should have advertised it as a stealth game rather than an RPG.

Solo

jim-jam bongs said:
Those are actual Men In Black though, not augs spliced with alien DNA (i.e. MIBs).

For sure. Gotta love the blue-ish grey color of the DX1 MIBs.

Anyways, time to beat this bitch!

/XX/

jett said:
Is it me or is the sound balance kind of bad? At least on the PC version. Music volume seems too low, some sound effects are also too low, while others too high.
Yeah! It is like that in general, but I specially noticed it with that much louder sound effect when recharging the Heavy Rifle, such a eardrum-piercing metallic noise!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Pixel Pete said:
whats the deal with the 'hard', 'easy' ratings on doors? not the hacking console, but the actual door themselves?

How much force/firepower it takes to bring the door down.

ProfessorMoran said:
If I hate the graphics is it worth getting this game? I'm kind of debating whether it's worth picking up.

There are some nice parts to the graphics.

Really hit & miss on the environment, animation, lighting & set pieces, but they do hit sometimes.

Nome

Solo said:
For sure. Gotta love the blue-ish grey color of the DX1 MIBs.

Anyways, time to beat this bitch!
Who were the guys with
Hugh Darrow when he visited Sarif HQ? They looked a lot like the IETs from Invisible War.

Question, Foxiest of Hounds, if you're fighting cops/gangs in hub areas, there are no physical alarms for them to set off, will this affect the achievement?

The Stealth Fox said:
DX1 as a shooter - a janky version of Half-Life
DX:HR as a shooter - Rainbow Six Vegas

Rainbow Six - all enemies die within a single gun burst, like you. No headshot would be armored protected.
You had squad commands.
The entire focus of the gun battles in it was suppression & flanking.

DX:HR is a MUCH more janky version of R6.

33-Hit-Combo said:
Question, Foxiest of Hounds, if you're fighting cops/gangs in hub areas, there are no physical alarms for them to set off, will this affect the achievement?
Foxiest is basically for getting the Smooth Operator bonus every time it's available. If it's not possible because an area has no alarm panels or cameras then you can do whatever you like.

33-Hit-Combo said:

I believe if they turn hostile at all (or anything does) you can't get that achievement.

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
Foxiest is basically for getting the Smooth Operator bonus every time it's available. If it's not possible because an area has no alarm panels or cameras then you can do whatever you like.

Be careful with this though because you aren't guaranteed to get Smooth Operator even if you didn't set off an alarm.

jim-jam bongs said:

So... Yes I can make all the hubs ghost towns? WINNAR.

See You Next Wednesday said:
I believe if they turn hostile at all (or anything does) you can't get that achievement.

Oh. Shit.

Mindlog

33-Hit-Combo said:
Have you beat the game? If not only highlight this post to the appropriate level.

To get Foxiest of the Hounds you just need to be a Smooth Operator on the following missions.

Special note for a level after the second hub.
Picus
M1 - Confronting Eliza Cassan

Summon the Funicular

If you arrive at the Funicular and the camera is in the red state you tripped the alarm and will not get the achievement. Do not wall punch your way into the basement. Hack the door.

I got the achievement with plenty of dead hostile guards. You just need to get smooth operator on those missions.

Yeah just so you know, my Foxiest was with zero hostile or alarmed enemies unless the game forced it. I'm just going by what I read online about how it's meant to work.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
See You Next Wednesday said:
Rainbow Six - all enemies die within a single gun burst, like you. No headshot would be armored protected.
You had squad commands.
The entire focus of the gun battles in it was suppression & flanking.

DX:HR is a MUCH more janky version of R6.
Personally I think DX:HR is more similar to James Bond Quantum of Solace than R6 Vegas.

Deadbeat

Banned
Damn I just saw free weekend of black ops. Looks like my second playthrough ends at montreal for now. I got over 400 pistol bullets fyi.

Mindlog said:
Have you beat the game? If not only highlight this post to the appropriate level.

To get Foxiest of the Hounds you just need to be a Smooth Operator on the following levels.

Special note for a level after the second hub.
Picus
M1 - Confronting Eliza Cassan

Summon the Funicular

If you arrive at the Funicular and the camera is in the red state you tripped the alarm and will not get the achievement. Do not wall punch your way into the basement. Hack the door.

Thanks, was just wondering regarding hubs. I'm not fussed if I've messed it up anyway, was just curious. Gives me another reason to play again :D

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The scene at the Tai Young Medical headquarters where
Zhao flees into the panic room was really lame. I didn't believe her BS and was disappointed Jensen got played so easily. It's a shame there wasn't a split path there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Dunno. I think it was Zefah earlier saying the exclusive side quest was pretty dope.

Wasn't me. I got the game from Steam.

Wallach

33-Hit-Combo said:
Thanks, was just wondering regarding hubs. I'm not fussed if I've messed it up anyway, was just curious. Gives me another reason to play again :D

It's kind of jank anyway because Smooth Operator is not working quite right. Even on the missions he listed you can wind up not getting Smooth Operator and still have the achievement pop. You just kind of have to keep track of it yourself.

KorrZ

Wallach said:
It's kind of jank anyway because Smooth Operator is not working quite right. Even on the missions he listed you can wind up not getting Smooth Operator and still have the achievement pop. You just kind of have to keep track of it yourself.

I'm doing a Foxiest run right now and I never got Smooth Operator on the Police Station because I talked my way in. I swear if I don't get the achievement because of that then fuck this game.

Wallach

Swifty said:
Are there a set of guidelines as to what a player can use on a door to breach it depending on it's strength levels?

They just have HP (as do breakable walls) so you can use anything you want that causes damage. Heavier just implies they have more HP.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
A Human Becoming said:
The scene at the Tai Young Medical headquarters where
Zhao flees into the panic room was really lame. I didn't believe her BS and was disappointed Jensen got played so easily. It's a shame there wasn't a split path there.

There are alot of moments in the game that make me wonder just how Jensen manages to breath on his own.

KorrZ said:
I'm doing a Foxiest run right now and I never got Smooth Operator on the Police Station because I talked my way in. I swear if I don't get the achievement because of that then fuck this game.

Talking your way in removes the Smooth Operator bonus and replaces it with the Silver Tongue bonus you got for the persuasion. There are a couple of places like that.

Lakitu said:
Well I've reached
Panchea (sp?)
. Will do that tomorrow. The game has been amazing.

The two missions prior to that were so awesome. I loved
the Hengsha docks, and just hacking into robots and turrets, letting them destroy everything in their sight. Love having so much control over the level. Very refreshing.
Get ready for a really bad level gameplay-wise.

Mindlog

KorrZ said:
I didn't take any chances and just snuck (fuck you Firefox spell checker) in through the basement.

The two missions where it is almost impossible to tell because of weird structure or extended cut-scene.

Mission location spoilers.
Heng Sha Mission 4 - Part 2. After you complete the objective a long cut-scene interrupts the mission report.
The Ranch Mission 1 - Part 1. Another sub-mission can give you smooth operator status before you complete this mission. You can't really know if you got it.

Both of these missions can be completed really quickly with cloak.

KorrZ

Mindlog said:
I didn't take any chances and just snuck (fuck you Firefox spell checker) in through the basement.

The two missions where itis almost impossible to tell because of weird structure or extended cut-scene.

Mission location spoilers.
Heng Sha Mission 4 - Part 2. After you complete the objective a long cut-scene interrupts the mission report.
The Ranch Mission 1 - Part 1. Another sub-mission can give you smooth operator status before you complete this mission. You can't really know if you got it.

Both of these missions can be completed really quickly with cloak.

*Sigh* Something will get broken if this achievement fucks me like that. I've just been making sure I've never been seen once and figuring I can't set off an alarm if I'm never seen. I reload even if I get one person doing there "I think there's someone over there".

Pancakes

Pixel Pete said:
you are saying this whole time I could have been destroying inanimate objects!?!?

Did you play Deus Ex 1? I committed cardboard box genocide in HR.

Rufus

On that note: why the hell are there cardboard boxes everywhere? Just to hide goodies under?

jim-jam bongs said:
Talking your way in removes the Smooth Operator bonus and replaces it with the Silver Tongue bonus you got for the persuasion. There are a couple of places like that.
I talked my way in and still got Foxiest, which would support that you only need to get it where it's possible. Talking your way in basically takes it off that list, I guess. All kinds of uncertainties surround this and the Pacifist achievement.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I just threw a trashcan into a group of people. All 4 of them died.

I have strength augs.

Rufus said:
I talked my way in and still got Foxiest, which would support that you only need to get it where it's possible. Talking your way in basically takes it off that list, I guess. All kinds of uncertainties surround this and the Pacifist achievement.
Yup, that was what I meant. If you talk your way in it's disabled, same with Ghost. Otherwise they would be free XP.

Top Bottom