• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Zeliard said:
I'm fairly annoyed that they limited an entire side quest to a retailer exclusive. Doing that with weapons is bad enough, but a mission? And apparently it's supposed to be quite good and ties in with the overall plot.

So lame that the shitty trends of this gen still have to impact an otherwise fantastic game.

I hope they have some exclusivity window with the retailers and will just release this shit for free eventually.

I have that exclusive side quest

honestly, I'd rather not have it for my second playthrough. It's a bit shit. About one room with a couple enemies to deal with, but you need to backtrack to the opposite end of Hengsha to reach it.

it's not an entire side quest. it's maybe one objectives worth, but nothing substantial. it's about involved as taking the sewer approach for a given objective.

edit: it's also not a side quest. it's a mandatory part of a mission.

_woLf

Question about the PC version.

I got a code for the Onlive version, and while it plays well for the most part, the aiming feels laggy and sometimes unresponsive. Feels like a software mouse type deal.

I'm curious if it's that way in the DVD/steam versions of the game, or if it's just lag from Onlive.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
_woLf said:

I got a code for the Onlive version, and while it plays well for the most part, the aiming feels laggy and sometimes unresponsive. Feels like a software mouse type deal.

I'm curious if it's that way in the DVD/steam versions of the game, or if it's just lag from Onlive.

It is quite laggy inputwise, regardless of triplebuffering.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
_woLf said:

Did you turn off mouse smoothing in the menu? (Is that even possible with onlive?)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Yea...about that...

(Read the hotel lady's email)

MNC

I fucking love the bickering between Jensen and Pritchard.

FP: "Meanwhile, I'm going to backtrace that signal."
AJ: "If you find anything, let me know."
FP: "You mean 'when' I find it."
AJ: "Pretty sure I didn't."

The delivery in the last line is great.

Solo

I just beat the game. The final boss is all sorts of underwhelming and frankly, none of the endings were very exciting. The use of live action clips/historical footage with voiceover really did nothing for me at all. Having said that, my favorite ending was
destroying Panchaea
. I don't know what it says about me, but my favorite DX1 ending was
New Dark Age
. I guess I like to
destroy corruption and decadence and reset things back to square one
! Hearing that classic Alexander Brandon DX1 theme post-credits... nom nom nom! So good.

Anyways, final verdict is that its an excellent game. It doesn't come close to the original for me at all, but its very much a worthy sequel that earns the Deus Ex name and doesn't bring shame to it. That alone needs to be commended. It's my probable runner-up to my probable GOTY The Witcher 2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is an example of how you resurrect an old franchise the right way.

Broseybrose

Just picked it up and working my way through chapter 1. Considering I consider Deus Ex the Greatest Video Game Of All Time, and after the burn of Invisible War, I'm both relieved and EXCITED. The game is GREAT so far. I love how hard it is (for me) on Normal, too.

And I can MAX it (DX10) no prob @1920x1200 on my 2007 PC. AMD Athlon 64 X2 @2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 8800GTX, Vista32bit. That surprised me a little. Games like Metro 2033 occasionally force me to turn a setting or two to medium or off, but not this AAA title. Boy has that initial investment in the 8800GTX paid itself off ten-fold!!!

If youre still on the fence, grab it, experience it, love it, before Dark Souls comes out!

Just beat the game as well. Really enjoyed it, but like Solo it still doesn't hold a candle storywise to the first Deus Ex. But, I sort of expected that. I mean they had to make a Deus Ex game that was not only marketable to modern gaming sensibilities, but appeal to fans of the original who were wary of this one due to the horrendous IW. So I never expected a story with as many layers as the first. It's still a great story though and I really like how there were many things in the game that showed the first steps to what was going on in the world of Deus Ex 1. Especially the after credits sequence.
Page wasn't that big of a surprise due to that fact you could tell it was him in the opening

I personally think Eidos could do very well if they remade Deus Ex 1. I would have no problem with them doing that. The franchise is in very good hands with them.

Finally, does anyone know what Warren Spector thinks of HR? I would like to think he would give it a seal of approval.

Shouta

Grisby said:
Murdering everyone on my second playthrough and not caring about stealth is fun.

I'm gonna try that on my next run I think.

But right stealth and smooth talking is pretty fun. Anyway, I'm back in Detroit in the game and my favorite moment so far have been entirely my own doing. I did the Ning quest in Hengsha and asked the bodyguard for her location, he says pay him so I did. Of course, I didn't like the lip he was giving me so I did a takedown on him and took my 2000 credits back.

Same thing happened in the Hive. Paid that asshole bartender to leave the girl alone but didn't like him at all so I jumped behind the counter, punched him in the face with a take down, took my 5000 credits and took cover so the mooks with the guns couldn't hit me. Tossed a concussion grenade, and then ran for it. No one dead, finished the quest, and got my 5000 creds back.

SHAZOOM said:
Spent some time in Detroit just exploring. Ended up in gang territory. So I massacre all these red shirt gang members and end up on the street walker street. Talk to a undercover cop who gives me a quest to get "evidence" from the gang area I JUST massacred.

YES that happened to me. I thought it was hilarious.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Solo said:
I just beat the game. The final boss is all sorts of underwhelming and frankly, none of the endings were very exciting. The use of live action clips/historical footage with voiceover really did nothing for me at all. Having said that, my favorite ending was
destroying Panchaea
. I don't know what it says about me, but my favorite DX1 ending was
New Dark Age
. I guess I like to
destroy corruption and decadence and reset things back to square one
! Hearing that classic Alexander Brandon DX1 theme post-credits... nom nom nom! So good.

Anyways, final verdict is that its an excellent game. It doesn't come close to the original for me at all, but its very much a worthy sequel that earns the Deus Ex name and doesn't bring shame to it. That alone needs to be commended. It's my probable runner-up to my probable GOTY The Witcher 2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is an example of how you resurrect an old franchise the right way.

Considering how many companies have tried to do this and failed with other franchises, Eidos Montreal is to be commended for succeeding so famously.

CF_Fighter said:
Finally, does anyone know what Warren Spector thinks of HR? I would like to think he would give it a seal of approval.
He played it at Gamescom I believe, and apparently loved it. He said it "looked and feels like Deus Ex".

thetrin said:
Considering how many companies have tried to do this and failed with other franchises, Eidos Montreal is to be commended for succeeding so famously.

They should resurrect something else next. It's been a while since we got a Thief game, I wonder if they'd be interested in making one?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jim-jam bongs said:
They should resurrect something else next. It's been a while since we got a Thief game, I wonder if they'd be interested in making one?
Isn't another team at Eidos Montreal doing exactly that?

thetrin

~Kinggi~ said:
Where have you been man, we've known about thief 4 for a while now.
Obviously not enjoying the party like we have!

Mordeccai

So, I just bought this game, haven't put it in yet, should I play the original one first? Its super cheap on Steam and I'd assume it'll run on my shit laptop.

Of course I knew they were making it, I was being facetious in order to express excitement at the thought that the studio which did such a good job on DX is now doing Thief.

LAYERS

Okay it just wasn't very funny.

Lactose_Intolerant said:
I just said it because of your avatar. Though I do enjoy the series and want some more. Half the fun in the game is just listening to your enemies conversations.

It's a damned shame that comedy is ignored when people talk about the best writing in games. It's always games like Planescape which get the most attention. Not that I think it doesn't deserve it, but NOLF and NOLF2 have some of the best written dialogue in any game ever, but because it's comedic it's generally overlooked.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My pipe dream would be for EM to revive the Bloodlines series, but they would need to hire some better writers first.

Grisby said:
Murdering everyone on my second playthrough and not caring about stealth is fun.
Murdering every cop in a police station was cracking me up at first, but it ended up bumming me out, what with the dead bodies everywhere and the lamentations of their women.

Uchip

Banned
Lactose_Intolerant said:
I just said it because of your avatar. Though I do enjoy the series and want some more. Half the fun in the game is just listening to your enemies conversations.

Thief series was best for that imo
especially that-one-dumb-guard that is everywhere

Solo

If Eidos Montreal is really gonna double over the new few years, then perhaps they will work on Thief 4 and DX4 simultaneously. Release Thief 4 in 2013, DX4 in 2015, profit.

cackhyena

Amir0x said:
SECOND TIME IN HENGSHA SPOILER:
Saving the pilot with only a Tranquilizer sucked ass lol. Damned pacifist run
Man, I'm about to have to hop in and do this. My first run through, still. Can't wait to get done and restart as a killing machine with no mercy.

Tanolen said:
Isn't the vampire MMO set in the masquerade setting and not the new one.

Negative, its set in requiem. EM should just reuse lots of the assets for this game spend 6-12 months redesigning it and release it as shadowrun!

Its hard to believe nobody picked up where the Genesis game left off. So much potential.

Solo said:
If Eidos Montreal is really gonna double over the new few years, then perhaps they will work on Thief 4 and DX4 simultaneously. Release Thief 4 in 2013, DX4 in 2015, profit.

yeah, that would be great. As it stands, in about four years, Eidos Montreal went from nothing to making Human Revolution. It shouldn't take as long to make a sequel, even with Thief 4 underway.

I'd like for them to take as much time as needed. Human Revolution was pushed back several months and it still sounds like they couldn't do a lot of what they wanted.

Amir0x

Banned
cackhyena said:
Man, I'm about to have to hop in and do this. My first run through, still. Can't wait to get done and restart as a killing machine with no mercy.

My first run too. I actually did it on my third try, so it wasn't the worst thing (that chalked up to annoying point where I saved in a bad place and like five seconds after the load someone would spot me in the police station and that ruined my foxiest hound shit, so it took me like 40 reloads to get out of there without setting off the alarm thanks to that save lol). But it was annoying because occasionally the damned tranq wouldn't properly penetrate the enemies padding as far as I could tell, so sometimes I'd be frequently retrying. I got a bunch of run up and knock outs too, though. And I had to do that robot the old fashioned way, since I didn't have an EMP grenade.

grendelrt

MNC said:
I fucking love the bickering between Jensen and Pritchard.

FP: "Meanwhile, I'm going to backtrace that signal."
AJ: "If you find anything, let me know."
FP: "You mean 'when' I find it."
AJ: "Pretty sure I didn't."

The delivery in the last line is great.

When the last line came out I about lost it...it was perfect

cackhyena

Amir0x said:
My first run too. I actually did it on my third try, so it wasn't the worst thing (that chalked up to annoying point where I saved in a bad place and like five seconds after the load someone would spot me in the police station and that ruined my foxiest hound shit, so it took me like 40 reloads to get out of there without setting off the alarm thanks to that save lol). But it was annoying because occasionally the damned tranq wouldn't properly penetrate the enemies padding as far as I could tell, so sometimes I'd be frequently retrying. I got a bunch of run up and knock outs too, though. And I had to do that robot the old fashioned way, since I didn't have an EMP grenade.
Ugh, that sounds awful. Especially if it was pre faster loading patch. Sounds like the type situation where fully upgraded cloaking would have made it a breeze...if it were possible that early on.

So the main menu music. When I load this game up, it's very hard for me to not just let it play for a bit. I can't find it on Youtube, though. Can someone point me in that direction?

Derrick01

Banned
Solo said:

They've already had a full team working on Thief for quite a while now. I think there's 3 teams there right now and we don't know what the 3rd one is working on yet. They're already working on both at once.

Top Bottom