• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

ctrayne

boredofcanada said:
has anybody ordered and received the collectors edition guide from Future press?
Yes, I managed to get my hands on it, but barely. Very, very nice. Has some cool info, like (minor pre-game spoilers) [spoilers]Adam wanted to have a family, Megan wanted to continue research, and that is part of why they broke up.[/spoilers]

Enco said:
The soundtrack is beautiful.
Yeah, it really is. They mixed it way too quiet. I turned down voices and SFX and turned up my system volume. There's some amazing stuff that gets lost in the mix otherwise. And it's also a lot more in-your-face and melodic if you aren't playing stealth. I prefer stealth, but the music is even better when you get caught.

gdt5016 said:
The game is, overall, but you certainly shoot at the bosses. And DX is a FPSRPG.

Seeing as I like never use my gun, outside of boss battles- btw, beat second boss today, P.E.P.S. and Typhoon makes life a breeze- I'd say it's just an RPG. Like in Metroid Prime, using the guns is simply a means to an end.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
gdt5016 said:
The game is, overall, but you certainly shoot at the bosses. And DX is a FPSRPG.

Haha I know, I was just teasing. They just feel out of place with the rest of the game. And don't forget:

i-jJRZhDr-XL.jpg

teepo

and now i can't fucking leave the sewers because everytime i reach the surface it crashes regardless of what the options are.

terrible,

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
dmshaposv said:
A friend of mine had the problem with Dx 11 enabled. Maybe that is the problem?

The game only ever locks up for me in the menus so I've kept DirectX 11 on. If that's where it is happening for most people the sacrifice is probably worth it.

Replicant

Am I the only one who think that this game would be so much more fun, better-looking, and functional as 3rd person shooter? While I'm getting used to the FP view, some of the confrontation in later part of the game suits a TPS game better. I also always prefer to see an Adam Jensen doing the job instead of being an Adam Jensen. That way his character model appears most of the time on screen.

A Human Becoming said:

Oh LAWL. Brb, making sure that I spend points on Typhoon and other battle-related upgrade instead of more hacking.

alex chilton said:
Damnit I just met the news anchor and I feel like I'm gonna reach the end soon. I don't want this game to ever end!!

There is still a decent amount left, but I completely get the feeling haha.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I just got debriefed after the first mission and stepped out onto the streets of Detroit...

What can I say? It feels like Deus Ex :)
It's definitely a modern game, with all the bells and whistles of a modern game, but so much care has been taken to retain that classic Deus Ex feel. I haven't even found the radio that plays the UNATCO theme yet, and already I'm getting nostalgia chills.

First, the music, as you guys have been discussing. Particularly the menu/Sarif Industries theme is gonna be one that sticks with me for a while. Not in the same way the original Deus Ex theme did, but in a subtle, elegant way that no other game this generation has quite achieved.

Second, Jensen's voice. It's got that distant 'Neo-like' woodenness, and a slight husk that reminds me of good ol' JC. But it just teeters on the edge of cool, without collapsing into cheesy. I love it. I also find his facial hair strangely fascinating.

Leading on from the voice is the dialogue choices. It obviously wouldn't be Deus Ex without them, but I didn't think they would be implemented this well. I am still early in the game, but I already feel like I've created a character for myself and am playing/acting the way I want, and expressing this through the way I interact with NPCs.
I was especially impressed with
the hostage situation at the end of the first level. As soon as I saw the guy, I knew I didn't want to kill him, and I knew I wanted the hostage freed. Carefully making my way through the dialogue, I was able to achieve this, and it felt amazing.
It was a nice surprise, and I can't wait to see how decisions like this play out later on.

Furthermore, I am playing on a laptop at 1024x768 with everything set to minimum (shadows normal and edge AA), but this has no impact to enjoyment at all. I would love it to look better, but as long as it runs consistently smooth, it feels like the true successor to Deus Ex should. Really, really impressed so far. I hope others share my views and that it continues like this!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Replicant said:
Am I the only one who think that this game would be so much more fun, better-looking, and functional as 3rd person shooter? While I'm getting used to the FP view, some of the confrontation in later part of the game suits a TPS game better. I also always prefer to see an Adam Jensen doing the job instead of being an Adam Jensen. That way his character model appears most of the time on screen.

I wish they could just stick with a single perspective. It's a little jarring whenever Adam goes into a 3rd person takedown or Icarus landing and then back to first person mode.

klownboots said:
There is still a decent amount left, but I completely get the feeling haha.
(I beat the second boss and am now at the entrance of the Convention Center to start that quest. How much left you think? % wise)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Heavy said:
(I beat the second boss and am now at the entrance of the Convention Center to start that quest. How much left you think? % wise)

I'd say you're 60-70% done.

Alucrid

Banned
Replicant said:

Oh LAWL. Brb, making sure that I spend points on Typhoon and other battle-related upgrade instead of more hacking.

If that's the
first boss you don't even need any. emp grenade then throw green barrel, red barrel, green barrel, red barrel, dead.

Replicant

Pancakes said:
I wish they could just stick with a single perspective. It's a little jarring whenever Adam goes into a 3rd person takedown or Icarus landing and then back to first person mode.

Yes, and then you not being sure if Adam is still crouched or suddenly standing up and giving away his position to all other nearby enemies. Actually that crouching thing bothers me greatly. In TPS, you can always be sure if your character is crouching or not because you have the point of reference right in front of you in the form of the character crouching. In FPS, your only indicator that you're crouching is the height that you see, which is not always obvious at times.

Also, this was my FPS game that I've played this long and thorough. Sure I played a bit of Wolfenstein or Doom back in the old days but usually never longer than 1-2 minute before I got bored. As a result, the first time I played DXHR, I got motion sickness.

ctrayne said:
Yes, I managed to get my hands on it, but barely. Very, very nice. Has some cool info, like (minor pre-game spoilers) [spoilers]Adam wanted to have a family, Megan wanted to continue research, and that is part of why they broke up.[/spoilers]

How's the packaging when they sent the book to you? I want to order but I'm afraid the book will have scuffed edges by the time it arrives here (Australia).

Replicant said:

Yup, I'd prefer to play in 3rd person, particularly so the cutaway melee scenes could be done away with, I really hate them. I'd also appreciate the consistency of always having the same view of the action, rather than the current system where you have the magic ability to see around a wall only when you have your back stuck to it. Plus Jensen just looks awesome, sneaking around and cloaking and shit.

Pure first person stealth wouldn't work like it does in the original and the Thief games, not with these mechanics, enemies that behave like this, and level layouts like these. If they were to choose one perspective to stick with, it would certainly have to be 3rd.

duckroll

Dachande said:
I read through the last couple of pages but didn't see any mention of this, but did we know that DX:HR's boss fights were made by a totally separate company?

http://www.elecplay.com/watch/21/191/3/14

http://www.gripent.com/

I don't think that's the case. It's more likely that they were designed by Eidos Montreal, and GRIP simply provided the implementation of the scripting routines for the AI. They're not a game design company, just a technology firm.

Dachande said:
I read through the last couple of pages but didn't see any mention of this, but did we know that DX:HR's boss fights were made by a totally separate company?

http://www.elecplay.com/watch/21/191/3/14

http://www.gripent.com/

"If you throw down the controller in frustration, we have completely failed. On the other hand, if you beat the boss in the first thirty seconds, we've failed too."

well, at least both are possible.

gdt

gdt5016 said:
Quick sidequest questions.

How many sq's are in Hengsha? I've only found 1-3, I think.

Also, any other way to complete the sidequest with the bar keep? He keeps asking for 5000 credits, but I don't have them.

Anyone? I ask because I'm at the point where I can go forward, but that would cancel out sidequests, I want to finish them all before I do so.

Eusis

Alucrid said:
If that's the
first boss you don't even need any. emp grenade then throw green barrel, red barrel, green barrel, red barrel, dead.
Hell, it sounds like JUST the Typhoon system is enough for bosses in general. I'll have to test that though, I ignored it before the first boss but if it's the "fuck up bosses" button then I'm definitely powering it up.

eek5

Eusis said:
Hell, it sounds like JUST the Typhoon system is enough for bosses in general. I'll have to test that though, I ignored it before the first boss but if it's the "fuck up bosses" button then I'm definitely powering it up.
Typhoon is all you need for bosses. Just make sure you have multiple batteries charged up so you can press it twice in a row lol

Wallach

gdt5016 said:
Anyone? I ask because I'm at the point where I can go forward, but that would cancel out sidequests, I want to finish them all before I do so.

There are 3 the first time you go to Hengsha I believe.

O'Malley's sidequest resolution question:
Is there any way to get him to jail through conversation without him going hostile and attacking? If he goes hostile, does it count as getting "caught"? Should I just hit him with the stun gun or physical attack to knock him out without even talking to him?

gdt5016 said:
I have
paid her debt, convinced her to give me the chip using the CASIE aug and shot her in the back of the head and ripped the chip out.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just bought the game on Steam, but what's with the blinking UI after i got "killed" during the prologue? Anything to fix it?

Damnit, I
want to save Malik but I just dont have the weaponry for it, and the previous autosave is Sarif Industries which doesnt seem to have an exit now that its locked down. The next save after that is all the way back at the convention centre so buying a bunch of weapons seems impossible now. Is there a decent pay off for saving her?

CaLe

Bisnic said:
Just bought the game on Steam, but what's with the blinking UI after i got "killed" during the prologue? Anything to fix it?

It's part of the story... It will get fixed.

Listen to what Adam says :)...

CrankyKong said:
Damnit, I
want to save Malik but I just dont have the weaponry for it, and the previous autosave is Sarif Industries which doesnt seem to have an exit now that its locked down. The next save after that is all the way back at the convention centre so buying a bunch of weapons seems impossible now. Is there a decent pay off for saving her?

Melee everyone.

Top Bottom