• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
jorgeton said:
Jesus. That is satisfying.

Here's hoping it will work even though all of my augs are messed up due to that chip I got in Hengsha.

You just have to stun him and punch him after that, I think

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I really like this game, but I have to admit, the AI is downright atrocious. I was crouching next to a guy's head while he was sitting on the couch... and he didn't see me. So, I punch him and knock him out. His buddy, sitting next to him, sees me and goes "hostile". I run and crouch in the bathroom, and 10 seconds later, his buddy just returns to the couch like nothing happened.

>.>

Andrew.

Banned
commish said:
I really like this game, but I have to admit, the AI is downright atrocious. I was crouching next to a guy's head while he was sitting on the couch... and he didn't see me. So, I punch him and knock him out. His buddy, sitting next to him, sees me and goes "hostile". I run and crouch in the bathroom, and 10 seconds later, his buddy just returns to the couch like nothing happened.

>.>

come on bro...thats hilarious...i find that stuff lie that happens a lot. Like all you have to do to avoid "HOSTILE" is run around like 2 corners and crouch. just exploit the hell out of their "atrociousness".

commish said:

>.>
Has there ever been a stealth game that wouldn't handle the situation like that? I'm not trying to justify it necessarily, I'm just saying that it's at least not atrocious relative to other games in the genre.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The_Darkest_Red said:
Has there ever been a stealth game that wouldn't handle the situation like that? I'm not trying to justify it necessarily, I'm just saying that it's at least not atrocious relative to other games in the genre.

It's not impacting my enjoyment of the game - I still call this probably my favorite game of 2011 so far - but it was pretty bad. I feel like Splinter Cell used to handle it a little better, but perhaps my memory is failing me.

Salaadin

The_Darkest_Red said:

The enemies definitely arent as aggressive in searching for you as they should be. In this, it feels like all you need is a door between you and the enemy and theyll rarely hunt you down to find you. There are times when they will spot you in one room and take a few minutes before they even enter the room they saw you in.

You are partially correct though. Any stealth game out there has AI issues. Part of learning how to play a stealth game is learning how to exploit the AI to your advantage. I hope some dev out there has some ideas to take the genre to a new level. It really hasnt been expanded on much.

Salaadin said:
The enemies definitely arent as aggressive in searching for you as they should be. In this, it feels like all you need is a door between you and the enemy and theyll rarely hunt you down to find you. There are times when they will spot you in one room and take a few minutes before they even enter the room they saw you in.

You are partially correct though. Any stealth game out there has AI issues. Part of learning how to play a stealth game is learning how to exploit the AI to your advantage. I hope some dev out there has some ideas to take the genre to a new level. It really hasnt been expanded on much.
I was inspired to make a thread about this topic:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=30744621&posted=1#post30744621

I agree that the enemies could be more aggressive in searching for you. There is definitely some room for improvement before the game would cross the line into pure frustration territory.

subversus

subversus said:
I don't know but they searched for me pretty agressively if I made a sound.
Generally they will come to the exact spot where the sound originated from but not much farther. So you could basically throw something, take cover at the wall 10 feet behind you, wait for the enemy to investigate, and then walk up behind him and take him down when he is returning to his patrol.

I love HR and I don't have any serious issues with the A.I. but there are definitely some consistent and obvious behaviors that you can notice and take advantage of.

Dries

In some developer interview one of the devs said they tried to make the stealth as natural and organic as possible. As in, when a move succeeds, you know how come or if you get caught, you realize why and stuff like that. Did they succeed?

subversus

The_Darkest_Red said:
Generally they will come to the exact spot where the sound originated from but not much farther. So you could basically throw something, take cover at the wall 10 feet behind you, wait for the enemy to investigate, and then walk up behind him and take him down when he is returning to his patrol.

I love HR and I don't have any serious issues with the A.I. but there are definitely some consistent and obvious behaviors that you can notice and take advantage of.

you know that's the point of stealth game. If enemies were unpredictable gameplay would be beyond frustrating.

and if you heard a sound will you come to investigate its source or will you go investigating in the opposite direction??

Did the QR thing last month to help boost it up to 1 million and just got the code the other day. Only problem is I thought I would have a new computer by now to buy the game on and I don't. Not sure what it unlocks really, but if some one wants it, it's here.

So here you go: CL5N-KFNC-2CT5

Just reply letting me know whoever takes it!

jorgeton said:
OMG, screw that third boss. Like, for reals.

and screw that goddamn chip I had implanted. it makes the fight incredibly obnoxious.
any tips on how to beat this ass? I might just knock the difficulty down to easy, because after many retries and thrown controllers, I just can't be bothered.

you can also throw mines at the same spot in the exact center of the room and he'll die in a few seconds as he keeps jumping over the central wall at the same spot.

Andrew.

Banned
Can this game be played effectively as more of a FPS if the player were so inclined...or would they just fail every mission and/or die in a blaze of gunfire?

any opinions?

Digishine

Banned
Capital_Five said:
Did the QR thing last month to help boost it up to 1 million and just got the code the other day. Only problem is I thought I would have a new computer by now to buy the game on and I don't. Not sure what it unlocks really, but if some one wants it, it's here.

So here you go: CL5N-KFNC-2CT5

Just reply letting me know whoever takes it!
code aint working or is it for ps3?

subversus

Aconn1283 said:
Can this game be played effectively as more of a FPS if the player were so inclined...or would they just fail every mission and/or die in a blaze of gunfire?

any opinions?

it's piss easy as FPS/TPS

I'm playing on Give Me Deus Ex and have no problems clearing out rooms with my shotgun and a revolver. It's VERY easy if you upgrade right.

Kazzy

Playing stealth and Praxis points have quickly become a non-issue. I've just returned to Detroit for the second time and have maxed out all the necessary abilities, now I'm just dumping them into anything that's left.

I have gained a ridiculous amount of bonuses in the last few missions due to a stealthy/pacifist approach.

Solo

Aconn1283 said:

any opinions?

Easy as a FPS, easy as a stealth game. Easy game.

pringles

Solo said:
Easy as a FPS, easy as a stealth game. Easy game.
I don't agree. Playing on Give Me Deus Ex and if I get spotted the guards shoot me down in 3 seconds. Some rooms take a long time to get past trying to go stealthy; watching patrols and cameras, seeing an opening where they don't see you, moving to a new position or taking out a guard, and so on. Maybe it's easier as a stealth game if you only focus on getting around guards, but that's not my style :p I have to pretty much knock out/kill every guard. Doing it without setting off any alarms or having the guards go hostile on you is a challenge imo.

But maybe I just suck at gaming. I've probably played 15-20 hours already and I'm only at
Tai-Yong Medical or whatever it's called, in Hengsha, just met the hacker in the Pod-hotel
. Which I'm guessing is pretty early since people are talking about
4 bosses and I've only faced one
. But then I reload saves a lot of times even if I don't die just because I feel I can handle certain situations better ;)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Can you do all of the following in the debug menu or by other means:

-Regenerate power cells
-Keep enemies on alert until they find you
-Infinite items in shops/just limb clinics

pringles said:
I don't agree. Playing on Give Me Deus Ex and if I get spotted the guards shoot me down in 3 seconds. Some rooms take a long time to get past trying to go stealthy; watching patrols and cameras, seeing an opening where they don't see you, moving to a new position or taking out a guard, and so on. Maybe it's easier as a stealth game if you only focus on getting around guards, but that's not my style :p I have to pretty much knock out/kill every guard. Doing it without setting off any alarms or having the guards go hostile on you is a challenge imo.

But maybe I just suck at gaming. I've probably played 15-20 hours already and I'm only at
Tai-Yong Medical or whatever it's called, in Hengsha, just met the hacker in the Pod-hotel
. But then I reload saves a lot of times even if I don't die just because I feel I can handle certain situations better ;)
The thing about the stealth is that it's just as easy on "tell me a story" as it is on "give me Deus Ex" if you're trying to not get spotted. MGS will add additional guards and give the AI:s much better senses on harder difficulties, Deus Ex will only add damage to their guns (maybe they see a bit better?) which won't affect your stealth run. It is harder if you're going in guns blazing, but the AI is very easy to exploit, won't be reinforced and the game has a cover system. It's fairly easy all-round, though you die very quickly if you fuck up bigtime.

Shouta

pringles said:

If you aren't making proper use of cover, then the game is hard but if you are, it's relatively easy even on Give me Deus Ex. It's because enemy placement and AI patterns aren't nearly as brutal as they could be, they just upped the damage or so.

If they changed the enemy groupings and had the AI work more towards breaking your cover by circling you or flushing you out with grenades, this game would be a lot harder.

I just got an e-mail from Amazon. Due to the initial $20 credit listing fiasco, they're giving me an additional $10 gift certificate to complement the $10 credit I received. Very happy about this customer service
and eager to use these credits and gift certificates towards Battlefield 3
. I hope everyone else who only got $10 has heard something similar.

Syracuse022 said:
I just got an e-mail from Amazon. Due to the initial $20 credit listing fiasco, they're giving me an additional $10 gift certificate to complement the $10 credit I received. Very happy about this customer service

Got the same email. This is why I buy from Amazon, great customer service.

Syracuse022 said:
Yep I got the same email, very nice and unlike credit, gift 'cards' don't expire.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Man I am loving this game. I usually play games like this as the sneaky ninja who doesn't let anything get to him, but currently having a blast playing as an absolute cock.

Got to Adam's apartment last night. Reached the door after a lot of running around Detroit, dodging gang bangers and getting an earful from police about not letting SWAT do their job... It had been a long day, and just as I was about to turn the key, I hear a woman down the hall going "Why defile your body!? Be happy with what God gave you!!"

Adam the dick definitely didn't ask for this...
Walked right up to her and hit 'Q'.
The game probably picked the best takedown animation of the lot - just a straight haymaker to the mouth. YOU BEEN AUGMENTED BITCH.

I dropped her body in front of the janitor, who started cowering, and then proceeded to go get drunk at home. Good times.

pringles

Shouta said:
If you aren't making proper use of cover, then the game is hard but if you are, it's relatively easy even on Give me Deus Ex. It's because enemy placement and AI patterns aren't nearly as brutal as they could be, they just upped the damage or so.

If they changed the enemy groupings and had the AI work more towards breaking your cover by circling you or flushing you out with grenades, this game would be a lot harder.
It would also be a lot more frustrating. I don't know if it gets easier or more difficult later in the game but I've already come across several situations where you need almost perfect timing to take a guard out in the small window where none of the others are watching. Makes you feel like a badass when you succeed. In one location 3 heavily armed guards were patrolling and they were always in vision of atleast one of the others. Taking them out with a combination of an explosive mine, silenced pistol shot to the head and a takedown was one of the most satisfying gaming moments I've had in a long time and it didn't feel easy.
I'd love to see how people saying it's so easy would have played that, maybe I'd learn some useful tricks to help reduce the amount of save->reload-ing I'm doing now.

Shouta

pringles said:
It would also be a lot more frustrating. I don't know if it gets easier or more difficult later in the game but I've already come across several situations where you need almost perfect timing to take a guard out in the small window where none of the others are watching. Makes you feel like a badass when you succeed. In one location 3 heavily armed guards were patrolling and they were always in vision of atleast one of the others. Taking them out with a combination of an explosive mine, silenced pistol shot to the head and a takedown was one of the most satisfying gaming moments I've had in a long time and it didn't feel easy.
I'd love to see how people saying it's so easy would have played that, maybe I'd learn some useful tricks to help reduce the amount of save->reload-ing I'm doing now.

I don't remember that situation but when I was up against multiple enemies I'd use some misdirection then grenade them or sneak around takedown one or two and then duck behind cover again. At other times, I'd just shoot step out of cover shoot and then get back in quickly. Gas Grenades are hlariously powerful in this. Frags are ok but you sometimes need two to get as much coverage as a Gas one

Sober

malfcn said:
How long till I learn why Zeke was in Sondoval's apartment?
They are
brothers; if you drop Zeke you will find a datapad on him talking to his brother- email is IS-something other

jett

D-Member
oh my fucking god how can the developers not realize their boss fights are fucking garbage and go against everything the game stands for

i'm at boss numero dos, btw. Even worse than the first one. Other than these two aberrations, it's been pretty awesome.

Recarpo

Did anybody else who preordered from amazon get an email from them giving another $10 credit to their account?

"Before the game was released we incorrectly stated that a $20 promotional credit was available for pre-ordering the game. As a result, we'd like to offer you an Amazon.com Gift Card in addition to the $10 promotional credit you've already received for ordering the game."

Salsa

from the steam thread

SalsaShark said:
last week:

da4e5495f228f6c2dab97a3da21ae16ab8390522.PNG

today:

7afedd54c7f1689116fd7739e5fa0a17317745d0.PNG

im really getting tired of this crap

;_;

happens with every fucking game lately

Card Boy

Banned
SalsaShark said:
from the steam thread

;_;

happens with every fucking game lately

I noticed it only ever happens with games that are in the last 2 weeks played. It never has done it for games outside the 2 weeks, at least for me anyway.

It's being going on for acouple years now and i still can't belive Valve haven't fixed it yet.

Salsa

Gez said:
I noticed it only ever happens with games that are in the last 2 weeks played. It never has done it for games outside the 2 weeks, at least for me anyway.

It's being going on for acouple years now and i still can't belive Valve haven't fixed it yet.

oh im well aware of it. Its like every game gets reduced to your last 2 weeks playtime, instead of adding to the total.

Played Duke Nukem Forever for about 20 hours and it came down to 2.9 after two weeks.

inky

Let the world know that Salsa spends way less time playing games than he claims. I say we find out where he lives and take away his computer. Who's with me? :p

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
inky said:
Let the world know that Salsa spends way less time playing games than he claims. I see we find out where he lives and take away his computer. Who's with me? :p

SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!

(Today, 11:15 PM)
Reply | Quote

Top Bottom