• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Septimius said:
Only weak-point of the game - pacifists are in for a HARD time with boss-battles.
I feel like this is a common misconception that really just isn't true. If you understand the bosses you can beat them easily no matter what your augment and weapon choices are. One of the essential pacifist abilities, the invisibility cloak, is absolutely phenomenal in boss fights.

I get what you're saying about being able to subdue instead of kill them, though. I loved that option in MGS3 and I do think it would have been an interesting addition to this game.

garath

Septimius said:
What, no social enhancer??

Lol. Nope. I still managed to get silver tongue on all of the conversations except one. I did want to try it out but by the time I felt like putting some points into it I was out of conversations.

The bosses weren't that tough for me. The first one was the worst because I actually tried to fight toe to toe. Once I started playing to my strengths (sneaking and capping from behind) I was in better shape. Plus keeping 15+ frag mines on me at all times trivialized any boss encounter.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Also, I respect your aug choices. No typhoon, no social aug, and a fully upgraded cloak. Aww yeaaah.

Lol. Truthfully I even avoided using cloak until the very end of the game where I just got tired of dodging
crazies
. For the most part I just really enjoyed the stealth in the game.

Salaadin

Septimius said:
I wish there was a bigger incentive to be pacifist like in MGS - each has its benefit, and you can choose to beat bosses by subduing them, and then you receive a bonus item. I really, really enjoy that take on it, as I absolutely loath achievements, and I do not not kill people just to get an achievement. I choose to.

One thing that I hope the next DX game does that MGS fails to do is have tranqed bosses affect the story in some way. Thatd be kinda cool to see...even if its not a major plot point, just have something little in there to acknowledge them as still alive.

MGS type rewards for tranqing a boss would be nice too. Maybe even an XP bonus of some sort.

Carbonox

Yah I'm on a Pacifist run and I'm only armed with a Tranq Rifle, Stun Gun and Shotgun. I keep the Shotgun for bosses otherwise I use the other weapons and takedowns to do the job on regular enemies.

So i preordered this on Amazon and they only gave me $10 in credit, so right away I asked why it wasnt $20, and they gave me an extra $10.

Just today I got an email saying they gave me ANOTHER $10...so $30 for the preorder...this happen to anyone else?

Edit: Yup, on the previous page! Nvm..

Sullichin

Lord Fruity said:
Wow, turns out you can actually turn the cameras off using security hubs. I found out in
Singapore
, I must be the slowest motherfucker alive.

Haha, I wasn't quite in
Singapore
yet when I realized this but I was pretty far. Felt like an idiot.

I fucking love this game. The last area is the worst part of the game, then the bosses, but even they can't detract from how awesome it is on the whole. Can't wait for the DLC, and might go back in very soon to beat it again and make totally different choices.
Sorry Malik, I'm just going to let you die this time!

The industry needs more games like this!

kaskade

HammerOfThor said:
So i preordered this on Amazon and they only gave me $10 in credit, so right away I asked why it wasnt $20, and they gave me an extra $10.

Just today I got an email saying they gave me ANOTHER $10...so $30 for the preorder...this happen to anyone else?

Edit: Yup, on the previous page! Nvm..
Happened to me as well. It's is 45 on amazon right now so I still made out better than waiting. I'll probably save it and use it on the Arkham City collectors edition or something.

Kazzy

Playing through as a stealth build has led me to make some 'mistakes'

Detroit II spoiler:

Instead of going into the press conference (and getting the cool confrontation) I presumed you had to sneak around the building if you didn't want to blow your cover. It makes me feel stupid when you can go with a direct approach and I miss it due to over-thinking my objective.

Kazzy

Relax.MX said:
I'm in the achievement of "pacifist." If I use the turrets or robots, to kill the enemies, I removed the achievement?

There is a bit of a grey area concering that, a few guides say they don't whilst others say they do count as 'your' kills. I don't think the wording used in the achivement itself helps, "by your hand" suggests it should work.

Its the reason I never...

Killed the detective via an overdose, although it seemed like the choice I wanted to make.

Its little things like this that make me continually complain about the lack of general stats.

Relax.MX said:
I'm in the achievement of "pacifist." If I use the turrets or robots, to kill the enemies, I removed the achievement?
Earlier in the thread someone said that doing this would restrict you from getting Pacifist. I suggest disabling them and sneaking past the enemies.

Watanabe Kazuma said:
Its little things like this that make me continually complain about the lack of general stats.
Man, you are completely right about this. I would love to know where I supposedly triggered an alarm so I could just load one of my saves instead of playing the entire game over again just to get Foxiest of the Hounds.

I really need to get back into this game. I only finished the first mission and kind of lost interest. Reading everyone's thoughts on it makes me think I am missing out.

garath

The_Darkest_Red said:
Earlier in the thread someone said that doing this would restrict you from getting Pacifist. I suggest disabling them and sneaking past the enemies.

Man, you are completely right about this. I would love to know where I supposedly triggered an alarm so I could just load one of my saves instead of playing the entire game over again just to get Foxiest of the Hounds.

Mm. yeah stats would be nice. I'd pull open that page every so often. Seeing something like "People killed: 1" would make me want to go back.

garath said:
Mm. yeah stats would be nice. I'd pull open that page every so often. Seeing something like "People killed: 1" would make me want to go back.
Don't tell anybody but I'm still bitter about not being able to see my playtime on the PS3 version...

Enco

Zenith said:
emails and such are still stored in your "Notes" in DX1.
I know. They don't display on the screen when you load up the keypad though.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Sure, basic streamlining that improves the game is 'hand holding'. Maybe someone will release a mod that makes it so you have to go into a menu to activate your health regeneration or make plot-items take up space in your normal inventory or something to satisfy you and your kind.
Hey now, I didn't say I don't like the changes and I never said that I personally think it's hand holding. I just said I can see why others could think that.

DX1 is still outdated as heck and the improvements in DX3 are pretty great (can't comment on the story or openness yet).

F!ReW!Re

Just finished the and I'm really impressed with the ending I chose :)
This is definitely GOTY material for me and therefor I applaud Eidos Montreal.

I chose
Sarif's vision/message and was not sure about my choice, but the cinematic that followed where Adam talked about the choice; it was just perfection. It really made me appreciate my chosen ending.
Also loved the after credits "flash" that set it up for either another prequel or for the original Deux Ex

Again, Kudos to Eidos!

F!ReW!Re said:
Just finished the and I'm really impressed with the ending I chose :)
This is definitely GOTY material for me and therefor I applaud Eidos Montreal.

I chose
Sarif's vision/message and was not sure about my choice, but the cinematic that followed where Adam talked about the choice; it was just perfection. It really made me appreciate my chosen ending.
Also loved the after credits "flash" that set it up for either another prequel or for the original Deux Ex

Again, Kudos to Eidos!
I really didn't like that ending. Not only are you blatantly lying to everyone, you're also opening the door for future tragedies brought on by completely unregulated augmentation. The equivalent in 2011 would be completely unregulated nuclear weapon programs.

Humanity can't even handle the responsibility of complete freedom that comes with something like guns, how can you expect them to handle it with something as powerful as augmentations? It just seems ridiculously idealistic to me.

Then again, there's another thread for all of this business. ;)

On my no alarms, no killing, hard difficulty run and I have a question:

Regarding the Malik part:
I know it's possible to save her without killing anyone...but is it possible to save her WITHOUT triggering hostility? I don't want to fail on the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement.

Thanks.

So I'm finally playing this for real, after a few false starts and start overs due to another game I needed to finish first. Watching the scene where Adam get's injured could have been a lot deeper and more detailed. I understand the glass was thick and you could see the shards in his hand. He was in the wall Dragonball Z style and he got shot in the head. Brutal, but showing the damage done to his body and internals through a slowmo exray scene as it happens or a vicious Robocop style beating where you see Adam getting torn apart by the augmented merc would have really drove the point of how bad it really was. It could have added 20 to 30 seconds to that scene, tops. As it is now, it could almost seem like they cut his arms and legs off simply because he would have been cool as an aug.

Wallach

TenshiOni said:

I know it's possible to save her without killing anyone...but is it possible to save her WITHOUT triggering hostility? I don't want to fail on the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement.

Thanks.

Not sure if you can or not, but hostility status doesn't really matter for that achievement. You can have hostiles, you just can't have triggered alarms.

TenshiOni said:

Thanks.

The area is in a permanent state of alarm. Remember that foxiest is only for when enemies or drones or cameras actively trigger an alarm. RE: Malik, just go buck wild, kill them all, cold cock them all, tranq em, rocket launcher them, doesnt matter, you wont lose foxiest.

Kazzy

TenshiOni said:

Thanks.

You can still do it yes, they are hostile as default due to hunting Malik. As long they never see you to open fire you should be fine. In theory you should be okay for the entire section as there is no 'alarm' to raise, knowing how sketchy some the definitions are in this game though I didn't leave it to chance. I used a cloak the entire way through and just used take-downs and the stun gun. To this end I had to reload a save in Sarif HQ beforehand so I could hoard enough candy bars to keep my battery up (I really hate that mechanic).

I know if we want to be entirely confident you could just hightail to the lift, but no one wants to leave her for dead, right?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dark Octave said:
As it is now, it could almost seem like they cut his arms and legs off simply because he would have been cool as an aug.

you know... ah well, play the game.

Okay, I beat the game a while back, and I've forgotten some of the codes for the earlier missions to the doors. Anyone made a competent list of all of them?

Ricker

Lol(very minor spoiler)
FFXXVII
:p

Awesome game so far,I have only one regret that I will adress in the spoiler thread...

Game definitely deserves a 8.5/10.

I only managed to get the Foxiest of the hounds achievement on my first play-through for some odd reason. I was definitely trying to get pacifist first though....

The only reasons I would fail the pacifist would be:

Dropping a unconscious body into the sewers

OR

There seems to be a few gang members in Detroit (First time visiting) that when shot with the tranquilizer rifle, they actually are DEAD for some reason. I remember in the sewers where there was a group of 3 gang members chilling until I shot a few with my rifle and noticed that one of the bodies was called "DEAD body". At first I thought it was some glitch and I wouldn't be affected but by the end of the game I didnt get the achievement but instead got foxiest of the hounds :) "
I could be proven wrong about this but seeing as I put about 50 hours in my play-through just being stealthy and everything, I am almost certain this may be the case why I havent gotten pacifist. Has anyone else here have the same problem as me?

For those who are concerned about whether or not they wont get the foxiest of the hounds, just make sure the enemies do not sound the alarm. Its okay to have them hostile but if they do, take them out quickly. There has been speculation about the turrets but just make sure they don't see you in the first place.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
the way they did augmentations in this game is brilliant. With the exception of hacking maybe, you never feel like you're putting points into something for the sake of "leveling it up." Every augmentation gives you a new ability and its up to you to make use of it to your advantage. I really dont think I've ever played an RPG style game that was this satisfying to "level up" in.

Replicant said:
I thought Boss battles don't count towards Pacifist achievement. In that sense, I thought you can kill them. Am I wrong?

I think what they meant was that killing them didn't ruin your chances for getting pacifist. You have to kill the bosses to get through the game. But once you get in the boss fights, use whatever means necessary to take them down :)

This game is amazing.

At the conference center. The Bill Taggart confrontation was amazing. Seriously, the "social takedowns" so to speak are some of my favorite parts of the game. Really masterfully done.

CatPee

Aug Edition for $50. Fuck yea!

Game is absolutely amazing. Dat ugly artifacting in the videos though. Goddamn, they could've at least made it not look like 360p blown up to full screen.

Alright quick question. When I equip my gun a little box with a pistol and a + sign comes up above and says HOLD X TO ACTIVATE. Activate what?

Amir0x said:
i'm going through Deus Ex withdrawl

i've done it all now...DLC can't come soon enough...

I can imagine bro this is truly the most fun I have had in forever....Now one of you rat bastards answer me!

When I equip my gun a little box with a pistol and a + sign comes up above and says HOLD X TO ACTIVATE. Activate what?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BruceLeeRoy said:
I can imagine bro this is truly the most fun I have had in forever....Now one of you rat bastards answer me!

When I equip my gun a little box with a pistol and a + sign comes up above and says HOLD X TO ACTIVATE. Activate what?
What gun is it? Some of the guns have attachments that add extra features that that's the toggle for it. It varies from weapon to weapon.

Wallach

BruceLeeRoy said:

Which gun? Some weapons have mods that require you to activate them, they're not passive. Like the tranquilizer rifle and crossbow's unique mod will give you a tracker that shows you where to lead your shot on your current target (since the shot will arc/falloff) when you hit the button.

I love all of the little connections to the first game.

Versalife, all the references to the Illuminai, Morgan Everret, Joseph Manderly, the NSF. I just hacked Athena's computer for the first time as well and read an email with Sarif referencing Lucius DeBeers.

I can tell the writers really knew the first game. I mean, even Lucius DeBeers? He's an entirely missable character in the first one, with only a small role in the game (a rather interesting one I might add, though).

I thought the fact that Morgan Everret being the CEO of Picus was brilliant, especially when you discover Eliza is an AI. Everret designed the initial prototypes that led to Daedalus and Icarus, so it only makes sense that he did so while being the CEO of the most influential news company in the world. Remember, Daedalus was based on Echelon IV, a means of monitoring and controlling communications.

Really fascinating stuff.

JEKKI

Im sure someone already talked about this,

but awww man that Jaya sidequest was maad cool!!!!

u can pay off her debt and get a Praxis point, then knock the bartender out and steal your money back!!

jus lay low til the Alarmed status goes away, then walk away safe!!!

also it's funny how u can go around opening doors and knocking foolz out, then go do like a bunch of missions, come back, and all those doods are still knocked out!!

even funnier when ppl come home in the rooms where u already opened the doors, yet didnt bother to close them lol.

JEKKI said:
Im sure someone already talked about this,

but awww man that Jaya sidequest was maad cool!!!!

u can pay off her debt and get a Praxis point, then knock the bartender out and steal your money back!!

jus lay low til the Alarmed status goes away, then walk away safe!!!

also it's funny how u can go around opening doors and knocking foolz out, then go do like a bunch of missions, come back, and all those doods are still knocked out!!

even funnier when ppl come home in the rooms where u already opened the doors, yet didnt bother to close them lol.

Holy crap, I didn't even think of that!
I'm playing the game as much of a "nice guy Jenson" as I can, so I just took the hit and payed off her debt. I didn't even think of knocking him out.

That's some high class Deus Ex material, right there. I'm hoping this game will surprise me like the first did: that everytime I replay it I'll discover some thing that I never had any idea of.

Top Bottom