• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Neiteio

I finished last night and still have the warm fuzzies. What a wonderful experience! The final act was great, too. The installation you explore is amazing (last level spoiler -- it was neat to see
iron seeding tech
taken to such an extreme), the look was refreshing (
crisp daylight and cool air!
), and I actually liked the "twist" with the enemies at the end, which gave the gameplay a horror/suspense slant. The last two bosses were conceptually cool, imo -- I dig the (third boss spoiler)
muscle mannequin merc
and the (fourth boss spoiler)
human drone-driven security system

The dialogue face-off with
Hugh Darrow
was top-notch, as were the appeals by
David Sarif
and
Bill Taggart
, and best of all is the way the game handled the endings, allowing you to choose between four very hard decisions, each leading to a different conclusion. I really had to think about my last decision... I thought about it really hard, and I went with
Darrow
. It'll be interesting to revisit that save and see how the other three options would've panned out (though it's hard for me to bring myself to try the fourth option, the one down the passageway)...

The post-credits surprise was great. I got chills when, after hearing the conversation with
Megan Reed
, you catch a brief glimpse of
Bob Page
. Great way to bring the game full-circle. And I'm new to Deus Ex, so tell me,
was that theme that plays on the title logo at the end the main theme from the first game
?

My brother is looking to start a file this weekend. It'll be great to see how he goes through the game. I played it non-lethally, with one major exception (
I did what any cop would do and used force when Malik's life was on the line
), and there was another point at the end where my PEPS detonated an explosive barrel and killed a few
crazies
, but at that point I was like, "Well, I already forfeit the Pacifist achievement in Hengsha, so whatevs."

Fantastic game, through and through. Never a dull moment. It's as immersive as Red Dead Redemption, probably moreso, but doesn't have any boring stretchs like Mexico. What's more, the game is so subtle. It doesn't start with a bombastic, hanging-from-a-train-wreck/scaling-a-Titan-while-fighting-Poseidon-type bang, but rather slowly envelopes you in its warm embrace, hooking you without you even knowing.

This game is so much more than the sum of its parts. It's a masterpiece and modern classic.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Holy FUCK! I'm 85% through my second time and just figured out that you can disable cameras by going to them in the security hubs and clicking X. Why was that notice hidden in the bottom interface instructions?!

AAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH

Knowing this before could have saved me sooooo much trouble.

kuroshiki

Dan said:
Holy FUCK! I'm 85% through my second time and just figured out that you can disable cameras by going to them in the security hubs and clicking X. Why was that notice hidden in the bottom interface instructions?!

AAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH

You mean hacking the security hub?

JEKKI

Im confused.

I think I upgraded my Persuasion and it lets me use Phermones or something...

does doing that consume anything??

or is it free? which makes all arguments winnable with no effort...

coz I was arguing with Tong and I failed,

but I reloaded and used the phermone and won and got a lot of XP...

Wallach

JEKKI said:
Im confused.

I think I upgraded my Persuasion and it lets me use Phermones or something...

does doing that consume anything??

or is it free? which makes all arguments winnable with no effort...

coz I was arguing with Tong and I failed,

but I reloaded and used the phermone and won and got a lot of XP...

It can not only fail, but using it to "win" may not always cause a result that you are happy with. That may be an immediate result or something down the road.

Quick edit - When I say it can fail it's one of those things that either works or does not work. Not that the right option has a chance to fail.

Dan said:

AAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH

I had the exact same revelation during my first playthrough (PC version) and it made me feel so stupid. I was wondering why the hell the only interaction with cameras in the security hubs was to watch them.

I don't know how it is on console, but on PC clicking the video feed did nothing but switch the view, you had to click on the tiny green power circle in the corner of the thumbnail to turn it off.

JEKKI

Wallach said:
It can not only fail, but using it to "win" may not always cause a result that you are happy with. That may be an immediate result or something down the road.

Quick edit - When I say it can fail it's one of those things that either works or does not work. Not that the right option has a chance to fail.
so I guess you're saying is it can fail in the sense that it shows Alpha mood so u choose the Alpha response and get it wrong,

but what I am wondering is, am I using an item when I do it?? or is it like Jumping, where I can do it whenever I want as long as I press the button

or like takedown, where I just need to wait for my meter to refill

Wallach

JEKKI said:
so I guess you're saying is it can fail in the sense that it shows Alpha mood so u choose the Alpha response and get it wrong,

but what I am wondering is, am I using an item when I do it?? or is it like Jumping, where I can do it whenever I want as long as I press the button

or like takedown, where I just need to wait for my meter to refill

You'll know when you can and cannot use it (it simply won't give you the option to do so). It does not consume anything or have any kind of cooldown if you can use it though. Just know that depending on the person it may not be a good idea, you'll have to gauge that for yourself or just do it and deal with whatever happens later.

Sciz

Neiteio said:
And I'm new to Deus Ex, so tell me,
was that theme that plays on the title logo at the end the main theme from the first game
?
Precisely.

edit:
Which is to say that for those of us who've played the hell out of DX1, having it finally show up after waiting the entire bloody game was incredibly cathartic.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
kuroshiki said:
You mean hacking the security hub?
Well, I obviously knew how to hack security hubs. But I didn't see the deactivate button until like 40-50 hours of playtime. It's not done the same way as modifying the settings for turrets, robots or doors. It's not very intuitive to have you interact with those items by going through the on-screen menus, but then have the camera controls just set to a button.

10qxlid.jpg

EmCeeGramr said:
I had the exact same revelation during my first playthrough (PC version) and it made me feel so stupid. I was wondering why the hell the only interaction with cameras in the security hubs was to watch them.

I don't know how it is on console, but on PC clicking the video feed did nothing but switch the view, you had to click on the tiny green power circle in the corner of the thumbnail to turn it off.
Yeah, the option for deactivating the camera is shown on the very bottom, alongside the buttons for fundamentals like navigating the screen and interacting with it. I never saw a reason to look at that stuff since the in-game screen showed me the options for what I could do with turrets, robots and doors.

That's a really odd interface choice.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Holy shit, Amazon never ceases to amaze me. They just sent me an email saying that they accidently put a $20 promo credit on Deus Ex (I never even knew this) when they meant $10 so they gave me a gift card code for another $10 just now. I FUCKING love Amazon so much.

Jerk

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

Actually, clicking on the screen itself will turn the camera off. Hovering changes views.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have "illicitly extend your Steam gameplay hours by forgetting I left something open" syndrome.

I love this game and Portal 2 dearly, but I certainly don't have 210 hours between them.

Syracuse022 said:
I just got an e-mail from Amazon. Due to the initial $20 credit listing fiasco, they're giving me an additional $10 gift certificate to complement the $10 credit I received. Very happy about this customer service
and eager to use these credits and gift certificates towards Battlefield 3
. I hope everyone else who only got $10 has heard something similar.

This is awesome! I called Amazon customer service the day before release to tell them about this mistake. They gave me an additional $10 that day for the slip up to bring me to $20. I just checked and had the email everyone received so I have $30 credit now from buying this game new. Thanks Amazon!

Dries

Buying this game today. Two questions:

1) I wanna play stealthy MGS style. What can I do to not get frustrated with the bosses?

2) What's the best anti aliasing mode?

Card Boy

Banned
Dries said:
Buying this game today. Two questions:

1) I wanna play stealthy MGS style. What can I do to not get frustrated with the bosses?

Take some EMP grenades/frag mines/or Level up Typhoon to level 2

2) What's the best anti aliasing mode?

Performance wise while still have a good amount of AA = FXAA Low

Dries

Gez said:
Take some EMP grenades/frag mines/or Level up Typhoon to level 2

Performance wise while still have a good amount of AA = FXAA Low

Performance won't be an issue, I want the best quality. Still FXAA?

red731

I have CASIE but I only see the bar on left side with alpha beta omega or something, but nothing on the right side?
What gives? I've seen pictures with the persons traits and whatnot.

Enco

Just downloaded the DX1 New Vision pack and it's now playable. There's a load of clipping issues/overlapping textures but I'm part way through the first island mission and it's good stuff.

I can see why people think DX3 holds your hand now. It feels pretty awesome having to write codes down on paper so you can type them into machines. I just emptied 200 credits from a new couple's bank account (husband to be left a sweet note with the bank details).

Daeda

red731 said:
I have CASIE but I only see the bar on left side with alpha beta omega or something, but nothing on the right side?
What gives? I've seen pictures with the persons traits and whatnot.

You only see it for the social boss battles, while you see the bar for almost all conversations.

red731

Daeda said:
You only see it for the social boss battles, while you see the bar for almost all conversations.

Thank you for clearing that out Daeda.

Also at top of the TYM:
Before that "bitch" activates her panic room and soldiers come in, I threw one remotely activated explosive on the other side of the room in the corner and when the soldiers came in, I ran to the shaft, sneaked thru it, detonated explosive 'attention to the corner', cloaked and ran to the elevator. Awesome. But not like the vending machine awesome.

Enco said:
I can see why people think DX3 holds your hand now. It feels pretty awesome having to write codes down on paper so you can type them into machines.

Sure, basic streamlining that improves the game is 'hand holding'. Maybe someone will release a mod that makes it so you have to go into a menu to activate your health regeneration or make plot-items take up space in your normal inventory or something to satisfy you and your kind.

Zenith

Banned
Enco said:
Just downloaded the DX1 New Vision pack and it's now playable. There's a load of clipping issues/overlapping textures but I'm part way through the first island mission and it's good stuff.

I can see why people think DX3 holds your hand now. It feels pretty awesome having to write codes down on paper so you can type them into machines. I just emptied 200 credits from a new couple's bank account (husband to be left a sweet note with the bank details).

emails and such are still stored in your "Notes" in DX1.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It would be totally awesome if all boss battles could be resolved through extremely hard verbal battles.

subversus said:
It would be totally awesome if all boss battles could be resolved through extremely hard verbal battles.

More like totally conceited. Maybe one could be, and another could be avoided through stealth, and another could have had you running away from the fight if you wanted, but you would lose something if you did:

Imagine if one of the people attacking Malik was a boss. You could run away and avoid the fight, but she'd die for sure.

There is no real issue with making the fights unavoidable as far as I'm concerned, I just wish they weren't terrible. Making them optional would be a way to fix it, but it wouldn't be the only way, not by a long shot.

subversus said:
I don't understand. Why?

It would be really, really silly if every boss character in the game (all of whom under direct orders to kill you, most of whom attack you without a chance to talk, as you would expect when they're TRYING TO KILL YOU) could simply be talked out of it. And not just because the social aug is a single two point investment that would "kill" every boss in the game for you.

beelzebozo said:
probably meant contrived.

and i agree with that assessment.

Sorry, yes, I did mean that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
beelzebozo said:
probably meant contrived.

and i agree with that assessment.

may be not all boss fights but 1-2 at least. You could make them angry so they would make more stupid mistakes i.e. influence their tactic through dialogue.

Just finished, went with the Darrow ending.

Didn't get pacifist as I just discovered it counts kills from the prologue, which I didn't know before. Shame.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The lack of space for the inventory(fully upgraded on top of that) and the lack of vendors after you reach the higher levels of Hengsha is frustrating. A whole level with a full inventory and no vendor and it seems that now that im in Montreal, i shouldnt expect another vendor either, unless someone is hiding somewhere in that building. If only some weapons didn't take so much space, like that huge machine gun.

I started my third playthrough last night, this time going for all the Darrow books and the Foxiest of The Hounds trophy (which I still swear I should have gotten on my last playthrough).

I'm incredibly paranoid about it this time, to the point where it's making me act a little ridiculous. In the strategy guide for HR there is a chart that shows each objective in the game where you can get the Smooth Operator experience bonus, and this is a good indicator that you made it through the area without setting off an alarm. One of those bonuses is awarded for (early spoiler)
getting the neural implant from the terrorist in the police station morgue. So basically I won the conversation battle with Wayne Haas and was able to freely walk into the morgue and complete the objective, only I didn't get the Smooth Operator bonus. I'm guessing this is only because the game won't reward you for not setting off an alarm when guards and cameras aren't even bothered by your presence but my paranoia wouldn't let it be. So what did I do? I reloaded my save and snuck in through the sewer, just to make sure that I got that freakin' bonus.

I'm not letting this game screw me again.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
It would be really, really silly if every boss character in the game (all of whom under direct orders to kill you, most of whom attack you without a chance to talk, as you would expect when they're TRYING TO KILL YOU) could simply be talked out of it. And not just because the social aug is a single two point investment that would "kill" every boss in the game for you.
I completely agree. The action-focused bosses were a nice addition to the game, especially considering the fact that there are still plenty of great dialog battles with prominent characters.

I love Amazon, they just gave me another 10 credit for this game. Here is what the email said.

Hello,

We're contacting you about order for "Deus Ex: Human Revolution". Before the game was released we incorrectly stated that a $20 promotional credit was available for pre-ordering the game. As a result, we'd like to offer you an Amazon.com Gift Card in addition to the $10 promotional credit you've already received for ordering the game.

Anyone who ordered from them and didn't get this email may want to contact them.

EDIT: Seems I am not the only one but still want to bring it more attention

garath

The_Darkest_Red said:
I started my third playthrough last night, this time going for all the Darrow books and the Foxiest of The Hounds trophy (which I still swear I should have gotten on my last playthrough).

I'm incredibly paranoid about it this time, to the point where it's making me act a little ridiculous. In the strategy guide for HR there is a chart that shows each objective in the game where you can get the Smooth Operator experience bonus, and this is a good indicator that you made it through the area without setting off an alarm. One of those bonuses is awarded for (early spoiler)
getting the neural implant from the terrorist in the police station morgue. So basically I won the conversation battle with Wayne Haas and was able to freely walk into the morgue and complete the objective, only I didn't get the Smooth Operator bonus. I'm guessing this is only because the game won't reward you for not setting off an alarm when guards and cameras aren't even bothered by your presence but my paranoia wouldn't let it be. So what did I do? I reloaded my save and snuck in through the sewer, just to make sure that I got that freakin' bonus.

I'm not letting this game screw me again.

I completely agree. The action-focused bosses were a nice addition to the game, especially considering the fact that there are still plenty of great dialog battles with prominent characters.

Regarding your spoiler:

I convinced wayne haas to let me in and I walked right in to get the implant and I ended up with Foxiest of the hounds. So don't let that deter you

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
A Human Becoming said:
Can you do all of the following in the debug menu or by other means:

-Regenerate power cells
-Keep enemies on alert until they find you
-Infinite items in shops/just limb clinics

Still wondering if these are possible.

garath said:
Regarding your spoiler:

I convinced wayne haas to let me in and I walked right in to get the implant and I ended up with Foxiest of the hounds. So don't let that deter you
Yeah, I was basically 99% sure that it wouldn't be an issue but when you play through the entire game thinking that you didn't set off an alarm and fail to get the trophy it makes you do crazy things. It's fine though, I'm done with that part now.

It is at least nice to know for sure that it's not an issue.

garath

So I finally beat it last night. 30 hours total according to Steam.

My augmentations looked like this:

06A6DA9F7E587E2C19FAA023B7560ED4EDA6B012

In the end I was just putting points in random places lol.

I did get the foxiest of the hounds achievement which was a big surprise. I was sure I set off alarms. Guess not though.

I was disappointed I didn't get pacifist though. Unless I got nailed with the tranq bug, I suspect it happened when
I was saving Malik and I blew up the mech. I think a heavy trooper got caught in the explosion. I just never checked. I was just happy I got through it so smoothly.

Ending was ok.
it's a little disappointing that there's no real branching other than that final decision. I'm asking too much from an already excellent game but it would have been fantastic to see some of the decisions I made throughout the game impact the ending more. Like if I was constantly questioning Sarif and the corporation then the "truth" I uncover would be biased against corporations. Something like that.

Game of the decade for me though. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in I don't know how long.

garath said:
Game of the decade for me though. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in I don't know how long.
Yeah, at this point I can confidently say that HR is my favorite game this generation. I'm not sure where it ranks all time and I don't want to make any brash statements based on how fresh the game is but there aren't many 30+ hour games that I feel like playing 3 times back to back to back (in fact, this is the only one I've ever played).

Also, I respect your aug choices. No typhoon, no social aug, and a fully upgraded cloak. Aww yeaaah.

Septimius said:
What, no social enhancer??
I didn't get it my first time through. It makes the conversation battles much more thought-provoking and interesting in my opinion.

zonezeus

Wow, turns out you can actually turn the cameras off using security hubs. I found out in
Singapore
, I must be the slowest motherfucker alive.

ToD_

Lord Fruity said:
Wow, turns out you can actually turn the cameras off using security hubs. I found out in
Singapore
, I must be the slowest motherfucker alive.
Same here, I was about halfway through the game before I realized I could click the little green button to turn off cameras. I remembered it was mentioned in one of the tutorials that you could turn off cameras, and I just kept wondering how as I spotted cameras!

Septimius

Yeah, I don't use the pheromones to win a conversation, but I did enjoy having visual confirmation that I did the right conversational choices. Only once did I mess up a convo.

I got the camera thing pretty early. The first times, I didn't really get it, but I think I got it back in Adam's office at his security hub.

Somehow, I think I managed to miss the Explosive pack bonus mission. Then again, I'm not killing anyone, so what do I need a grenade-launcher for? Well, boss-battles, I suppose. Only weak-point of the game - pacifists are in for a HARD time with boss-battles.

I wish there was a bigger incentive to be pacifist like in MGS - each has its benefit, and you can choose to beat bosses by subduing them, and then you receive a bonus item. I really, really enjoy that take on it, as I absolutely loath achievements, and I do not not kill people just to get an achievement. I choose to.

Also, I'm definitely going to have another play-through where I just rip through anything and everyone.

Top Bottom