• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
SenseiJinx said:
That's some high class Deus Ex material, right there. I'm hoping this game will surprise me like the first did: that everytime I replay it I'll discover some thing that I never had any idea of.
I've gone through Detroit a total of four times (twice in leaked version and twice in full version), and I found something new every time.

I can tell the writers really knew the first game. I mean, even Lucius DeBeers? He's an entirely missable character in the first one, with only a small role in the game (a rather interesting one I might add, though).

I thought the fact that Morgan Everret being the CEO of Picus was brilliant, especially when you discover Eliza is an AI. Everret designed the initial prototypes that led to Daedalus and Icarus, so it only makes sense that he did so while being the CEO of the most influential news company in the world. Remember, Daedalus was based on Echelon IV, a means of monitoring and controlling communications.
I missed many of the references to DX1 because I forgot about many of the characters you mentioned, and only learned about them after talking with friends.

RoboPlato said:
What gun is it? Some of the guns have attachments that add extra features that that's the toggle for it. It varies from weapon to weapon.

Its the Tranq Sniper Rifle.

Wallach said:
Which gun? Some weapons have mods that require you to activate them, they're not passive. Like the tranquilizer rifle and crossbow's unique mod will give you a tracker that shows you where to lead your shot on your current target (since the shot will arc/falloff) when you hit the button.

So when I activate it I should be able to use the tracker?

jett

D-Member
Finished it, must've taken me 30 hours or so, surprisingly lengthy game. Overall I'm left with mixed feelings, but it was pretty awesome most of the time. I didn't like where the story went though, a bit too much for me. I thought it was gonna be more...sophisticated than that.

Forkball

I'm in (Hengsha spoilers)
Tai Yong Medical
right now. After
escaping the Alice Pods raid
I realized that the upgraded 10 MM pistol is god mode. I could easily kill any enemy I came across with a single headshot. I still like playing a stealthy character, but it's nice to always have a trump card.

I really hope Eidos Montreal releases some kind of art collection devoted to the augmentations. Seeing the different styles and varieties on people was great, and it would be really cool to see stuff explaining the history of augs from older to newer generations, which belongs to which manufacturer, etc.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Captain Pants said:
Any tips for the third boss fight,
Namir
? I die immediately.
I think he lobs an EMP/Concussion grenade immediately, so run from that if you don't have the necessary shielding against it. Move from cover to cover and don't go into direct firefights with him. Smart vision is good for keeping tabs on him if he cloaks. I think it's possible to bug him out by positioning yourself so that he jumps over the same wall back and forth repeatedly.

Without Typhoon, I found lobbing grenades and the explosive revolver worked well.

Do NOT try to do a takedown on him.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm enjoying my 2nd Terminator run A LOT. I don't wanna bother with hacking at all, is that even possible ? like to avoid it in my whole run ?

I've hacked too many terminals in my stealth run :(

Captain Pants said:
Namir
? I die immediately.

I hear that you can kill him in 3 seconds with the Grenade launcher.

I typhooned him though.

EmCeeGramr said:
I really hope Eidos Montreal releases some kind of art collection devoted to the augmentations. Seeing the different styles and varieties on people was great, and it would be really cool to see stuff explaining the history of augs from older to newer generations, which belongs to which manufacturer, etc.

I would buy both full soundtrack and artbook for this game. The ones included in the Augmented Edition are thin.

I kinda want to pick up the book to read more of the lore.

Captain Pants said:
I avoided the Typhoon since I've been purely stealth.

I know this has been said before, but Typhoon is an awesome weapon to have as a stealth character. You don't have to carry an actual weapon and it destroys all bosses. Was great to have on my pacifist run because I didn't upgrade my carrying capacity and was able to use those points in other areas. All you carry is the typhoon ammo.

Reave

Yurt said:

I typhooned him though.
Yep, I grenade launcher'd the shit out of him on the first try and I was done with the fight in a matter of moments. It was a pretty lame thing to do, but at the time I had no idea it would be enough to win the fight.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Watanabe Kazuma said:
Its little things like this that make me continually complain about the lack of general stats.
Yeah, UGH.

Just finished my second play. Got the Pacifist trophy but somehow failed Foxiest. I have absolutely no idea when or how that happened. Games should make it easy to figure out if you've failed goals like these.

A game like this is already set up for it, too. Even without full stats, you should be able to go into the objectives menu and activate optional goals, like not killing anyone or setting off alarms. Then the game will just notify you when you've failed that objective.

I'm not sure anything is more frustrating in a game than believing you've achieved something only for the game to say otherwise.

TheBear

Just curious guys about how far I have to go (want to finish it before I start Dead Island).
Just went through the sewers to sneak onto some big boat in Hengsha

hlhbk

While I love this game (I am going through my first playthrough) but man the reviews weren't kidding. THE BOSSES ARE AWEFUL!!! I tried the first one like 4 times and got frustrated so I used the debug to get past it. Don't take away players choice on the bosses!

JEKKI said:
Im sure someone already talked about this,

but awww man that Jaya sidequest was maad cool!!!!

u can pay off her debt and get a Praxis point, then knock the bartender out and steal your money back!!

jus lay low til the Alarmed status goes away, then walk away safe!!!

also it's funny how u can go around opening doors and knocking foolz out, then go do like a bunch of missions, come back, and all those doods are still knocked out!!

even funnier when ppl come home in the rooms where u already opened the doors, yet didnt bother to close them lol.

HA! I did the exact same stuff. I was very short of money and needed it to pay off a dude who would tell me where this girl is.

Problem is, I had already paid my money to bartender. I decided to not only punch the bartender but also punch the guy who was bribing me to pay him for the information. So good!

bigjimmystyle said:
Just curious guys about how far I have to go (want to finish it before I start Dead Island).
Just went through the sewers to sneak onto some big boat in Hengsha

Close to the end. 5 hours max I think.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
hlhbk said:
While I love this game (I am going through my first playthrough) but man the reviews weren't kidding. THE BOSSES ARE AWEFUL!!! I tried the first one like 4 times and got frustrated so I used the debug to get past it. Don't take away players choice on the bosses!

Consider them as a Mini-game :p That's what I did.

They weren't that terrible imo though, just felt out of place.

Linkzg said:
I would buy both full soundtrack and artbook for this game. The ones included in the Augmented Edition are thin.

Has anybody here read the book? Most video game tie in books are terrible, but I'll admit I'm curious to see if it's decent at all.

Oh, God this game appeals to the worst of the OCD in me. I spent about three hours in the post prologue mission. Love it, but I can tell I'm going to spend a very, very long time with this game.

wilflare

GillianSeed79 said:
Oh, God this game appeals to the worst of the OCD in me. I spent about three hours in the post prologue mission. Love it, but I can tell I'm going to spend a very, very long time with this game.

dun remind me, i restart every time i get spotted during my pacifist run

I just finished the game. Towards the last quarter I was pretty sick of it, as it got pretty repetitive, and there weren't any interesting new ideas.

I don't really understand the tips people are giving about boss 3:

During the fight, all my augmentations were deactivated by Zhao. In particular, Typhoon didn't work. Is that because I got the "new" biochip, and it wouldnt have happened otherwise? Lucky me. I just ran, hid, and shot him, over and over.

Mako_Drug

SenseiJinx said:
Has anybody here read the book? Most video game tie in books are terrible, but I'll admit I'm curious to see if it's decent at all.

I read it before I played the game and it a nice warm-up. Its not the most sophisticated read but neither is it melt you face off awful and keeps you engaged with a lot of action and background on the antagonists from the game. Recommeded if you enjoyed the games narrative.

I also read through the comics and although they weren't as good I'm eating up anything Deus Ex at the moment.

Nugg

Dan said:
Holy FUCK! I'm 85% through my second time and just figured out that you can disable cameras by going to them in the security hubs and clicking X. Why was that notice hidden in the bottom interface instructions?!

AAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH

Knowing this before could have saved me sooooo much trouble.
Didn't know that either. Mind blown. O.O

Sotha Sil

Damn, loving the terminator playthrough. Playing HR as a shooter turns into a whole new game at times. A bit sad that no one blamed me for all those SWAT/civilian casualties, though. Jacobson would have flipped.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Damn I never tried shooting it with my stun gun. and my friend accidentally found that you can stop cameras, I didn't know it either.

voltron

Curious how much more I have left... I just got to
Picus

Also are there any more city hubs?

Loving the shit outta this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
voltron said:
Curious how much more I have left... I just got to
Picus

Also are there any more city hubs?

No more hubs, but a return or two, and you're ~2/3 through the game.

DodgerSan

Linkzg said:

By book do you mean Icarus Effect? I'm only about 1/3 through at the moment, so it's a lot if setup. But if you enjoy the world it is pretty interesting reading.

FeD.nL

Just finished it, loved every second of it and can't wait to start my second playtrough.

One bummer though, I was going for pacifist but didn't got it.. Is emping a robot not considered pacifist? (probably a retorical question).

Narag

FeD.nL said:
Just finished it, loved every second of it and can't wait to start my second playtrough.

One bummer though, I was going for pacifist but didn't got it.. Is emping a robot not considered pacifist? (probably a retorical question).

Did you kill in the prologue?

Doomrider

FeD.nL said:

I think if a robot explodes and kills someone in the process, it counts towards your kill count.

FeD.nL said:

EMPing a Robot is fine, it's others getting caught in the self-destruct backblast that's the problem. So, it may be the case that some stupid guard got killed, counted against you and you may not have been aware of it.

Dmax3901

Finished it tonight. Ending spoilers ahead.

WTF, seriously. I think this game peaked when you climb Tai Yong Medical and reach Upper Hengsha because everything afterwards fell apart and was, let's be honest, bizarre.

Panchaea(sp)... The zombie workers reminded me of the crazy dwarves in Dragon Age Origins. It seemed they got lazy toward the end, they laid all the groundwork and then didn't know how to tie it off.

I was so overpowered the last boss fight was a joke, I was basically just waiting for the glass to break. I was so disheartened I didn't even care about the final decision. I was enjoying the game so much too! :(

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Yurt said:
I'm enjoying my 2nd Terminator run A LOT. I don't wanna bother with hacking at all, is that even possible ? like to avoid it in my whole run ?

I've hacked too many terminals in my stealth run :(

I typhooned him though.

Yep, kept the launcher because of possible bossfights and after one EMP nade I 3 shotted him in 2 seconds.

LordAlu

Captain Pants said:
Namir
? I die immediately.
Run forward and to the left and get up against the wall. He'll jump over the wall to his right. Run to where he was standing when the fight starts and face the wall he jumped over. Wait for him to jump back over and press B whilst he's doing it. Punch to the face. Fight over. :)

Loved this game, although I made the mistake of killing someone in the first section so I couldn't get my Pacifist achievement... sooo tempting to go through the game again :)

So I'm thinking about putting together a Deus Ex site. (I work for a webhosting company, and thus get free hosting and cheap domain registrations. And I've been wanting to design a site so as to get some more experience in the field anyway, and this seems like a good opportunity.) I'm thinking of domain names, and here's the one that's available that I'm leaning towards:

godoutofthemachine.net

For those of you that don't know, deus ex machina means "god out of the machine" which is reflected by many themes in the series.

What do you guys think? Any better ideas?

Not sure exactly what it'll turn out as. I think I'll start it off maybe as a simple blog with articles on the games, fan stuff, and and cool (read: hilarious) things you can do in the games.

Speaking of, I remember a great site that had an absolutely hilarious walkthrough of the first game. Showed you all of the hilarious things you could do, like grenade climbing to find Max Chen on the roof in Hong Kong, or having dogs eat your legs off and the blowing yourself up right before taking off with Jock so that you could walk around being effectively dead. Does anyone remember what that site was? I can't seem to find it for the life of me.

SenseiJinx said:
So I'm thinking about putting together a Deus Ex site. (I work for a webhosting company, and thus get free hosting and cheap domain registrations. And I've been wanting to design a site so as to get some more experience in the field anyway, and this seems like a good opportunity.) I'm thinking of domain names, and here's the one that's available that I'm leaning towards:

godoutofthemachine.net

For those of you that don't know, deus ex machina means "god out of the machine" which is reflected by many themes in the series.

What do you guys think? Any better ideas?
UNATCO.net

Neuromancer said:

I like it, the only problem is it's registered with GoDaddy. =/ Meaning either someone actively owns it, or GoDaddy themselves own it and would charge through the nose to get it.

Dresden said:
ineveraskedforthis.com

I never asked for that domain.

(In all seriousness, I may just register that domain for the sake of having it. Could come in handy. lol)

Bliddo

Captain Pants said:
Namir
? I die immediately.
Strafe left as soon as the fight starts, toss all the explosive mines that you have at his feets (3 should be enough) and enjoy the cutscene

Top Bottom