• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Ah, I was misreading it. Rather than tell me how many XP it takes total, and then how many I have, it shows the total and then the number needed; I was misreading it. Thanks.

There are also a limit amount of Praxis kits you can acquire in the game that give you an extra point each and completing certain missions during the game will reward you with a Praxis point. So there's three methods to get them.

Just got it yesterday, and it's great. I love the fact that even though they tell you where to go (which you can turn off), that's just one of the many ways you can get to a mission objective.

I've barely started out in the open world and I've already done things that make me go "man I feel awesome", like sneaking under camera blind spots instead of disabling/hacking them, stacking up dumpsters to jump a fence when I didn't have the passcode, tossing an object at a motion laser to draw the guys out of the room and slipping in while they're looking for me.

Haven't noticed any stuttering, playing on a GTX 470 with DX11. I do notice these slightly annoying little black dots that flicking on character faces when in-game cutscenes play, but other than that I've got everything cranked up in 1920 x 1080 and it's running fine.

squidyj

How come I can find and buy Typhoon ammo everywhere? I thought it was supposed to be a top secret DoD contract still being developped by my people? I can however find ammo for it right next to the candy bars at my local limb clinic?

AlphaDragoon said:
Just got it yesterday, and it's great. I love the fact that even though they tell you where to go (which you can turn off), that's just one of the many ways you can get to a mission objective.

I've barely started out in the open world and I've already done things that make me go "man I feel awesome", like sneaking under camera blind spots instead of disabling/hacking them, stacking up dumpsters to jump a fence when I didn't have the passcode, tossing an object at a motion laser to draw the guys out of the room and slipping in while they're looking for me.

Haven't noticed any stuttering, playing on a GTX 470 with DX11. I do notice these slightly annoying little black dots that flicking on character faces when in-game cutscenes play, but other than that I've got everything cranked up in 1920 x 1080 and it's running fine.

Those black dots are coming from tesellation. If you disable it they'll go away.

AlphaDragoon said:

Yeah, I had the same problem with those annoying black dots. You can fix it by either turning of tessellation, or changing MLAA to FXAA. (I did the latter so I could keep tessellation. The game still looks great with FXAA, I didn't see a difference.)

Hixx

squidyj said:
How come I can find and buy Typhoon ammo everywhere? I thought it was supposed to be a top secret DoD contract still being developped by my people? I can however find ammo for it right next to the candy bars at my local limb clinic?

LIMB clinics are the only place you can buy it, which makes sense as Sarif made special requests to let Jensen have access to things most wouldn't have. Only other places you find it is where augmented enemies or whatever hang out too, as far as I can remember.

pakkit

Banned
squidyj said:

BECAUSE THE AMMO IS CANDY

db52c19fb034c70ea1916b89061b4e80.image.250x133.jpg

Jerk

Banned
Wallach said:
You'd have to be pretty careful considering Typhoon kills anything it hits.

Yeah.

You have to angle your approach such that there are not stunned bodies about when you typhoon the mech.

Luthos said:
Amazon has console version for only $35. Not sure if I want to grab it.

Grab it. It's the GOTY so far for myself and many, many other GAFers. I felt it more than deserved the full price I paid for it at launch, and for that price it's foolish not to pick it up.

Durante

Is it just me, or is (spoiler last 1/4 of the game I guess)
saving Malik
pretty hard when doing a pacifist run on Give Me Deus Ex?

So far I managed to do it once and then had to reload when finding out that the mech blowing up killed a soldier.

MNC

Jesus Christ it feels so good to just sidle sidle sidle ROLL OVER PAST GUARD sidle sidle sidle SILENCED HEADSHOT sidle sidle sidle DOUBLE QUIET TAKEDOWN sidle sidle Bam. Or another area sidle sidle sidle ROLL PAST GUARD sidle sidle sidle TURN TURN sidle BAM GHOST BONUS NOBODY SAW ME. I love taking every approach possible in a single playthrough, makes me feel like a total bad ass.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This game really reminds me of Vampire: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines. Yes, that game is basically Deus Ex with vampires, but I feel the HUB in Human Revolution is far more akin to Bloodlines than the first game, or any other game for that matter. The layout of the city streets, the general bleak, sleazy atmosphere, the back alleys, the prostitutes and thugs, the homeless, the ridiculous amount of entrance points throughout many of apartment complexes, the quest layout, etc.

Durante

MrOogieBoogie said:
This game really reminds me of Vampire: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines. Yes, that game is basically Deus Ex with vampires, but I feel the HUB in Human Revolution is far more akin to Bloodlines than the first game, or any other game for that matter. The layout of the city streets, the general bleak, sleazy atmosphere, the back alleys, the prostitutes and thugs, the homeless, the ridiculous amount of entrance points throughout many of apartment complexes, the quest layout, etc.
I agree completely. Even the overall way the game is laid out is very reminiscent of Bloodlines. When running through the hubs on some side quest or when entering the Hive I couldn't help thinking about VTM:B. Which is somewhat regrettable, since Bloodlines is basically the only game I could be thinking about and feel like Deus Ex HR is slightly lacking in comparison. Don't get me wrong, it's easily still my favourite game so far this year, but Bloodlines is one of my top 3 favourite games of all time.

Kazzy

Durante said:
saving Malik

So far I managed to do it once and then had to reload when finding out that the mech blowing up killed a soldier.

If you're quick enough that one guard shouldn't get near the mech, alternatively if you reveal yourself they often back away leaving you free to disable it.

Durante

Durante said:
saving Malik
Over 2 hours and 50 tries later I've done it. That wasn't very fun towards the end.

I had 2 "wins" earlier where one of the bodies I checked ended up dead for some reason. Happy that's over with.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Durante said:
saving Malik

Did it my second try.

Exact route
1. Ran right on the top part. Took out the first guy with the Stun gun and just ran right pass
2. Keep going and you run into the one guy already up there and another running up the ramp. Either double melee or melee the one and stun gun the other.
3. Run down and take out heavy one and guy to the left. Melee or stun gun, your choice. You may need to move the body on one of them for the robot explosion.
4. EMP robot, and follow up by back tracking on the ground level to finish up the last 2 on the ground.
5. Only thing left were snipers which barely do any damage.

Basically a candy bar, few stun rounds, and an EMP grenade.

Non spoiler here, but if you're doing a pacifist run be very careful on the catwalk before the last boss. Guys fall over the edge really easy.

Swifty

Durante said:
saving Malik

Jesus, tell me about it. It came to the point where I had to drag two unconscious bodies out of the blast radius before the mil-bot exploded. I felt like some cliched boyscout comic book hero at that point.

Just beat it today, game was great, I did stealth pretty much the whole way but I have to say it did feel like I could run and gun, is it possible?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Finished my 2nd playthrough on Friday, cleaned up everything but the No Alarms(Don't recall setting any off). Anyways, I think after 52 hours in 3 weeks, I'm about done with the game. But not forever, most likely I'll hit it up again in a year once all the DLC came out.

Can't recommend it enough.

GhaleonEB

I have a lot of issues with the game mechanics - more on that another time - but I just spent an hour ignoring the mission objectives to break into some random apartments, tranq the occupants and drape them over the sofa (TV's on after all), then looting the place.

That sort of thing goes a long ways with me. I'm enjoying the game despite how it plays rather than because of it, and in that way it reminds me a bit of Fallout 3. Inelegant to control, but it lets me do lots of stuff I like doing.

I wonder if I get XP for knocking out piles of hobos....

Jerk

Banned
shintoki said:
Did it my second try.

Exact route
1. Ran right on the top part. Took out the first guy with the Stun gun and just ran right pass
2. Keep going and you run into the one guy already up there and another running up the ramp. Either double melee or melee the one and stun gun the other.
3. Run down and take out heavy one and guy to the left. Melee or stun gun, your choice. You may need to move the body on one of them for the robot explosion.
4. EMP robot, and follow up by back tracking on the ground level to finish up the last 2 on the ground.
5. Only thing left were snipers which barely do any damage.

Basically a candy bar, few stun rounds, and an EMP grenade.

So the EMP will completely take down the
Mech
? Wish I'd known that at the time. :(

DryvBy

Shanghi Side Mission - It felt so good to get everything right and ruin Lee. "You watching the Hive?" Blue Screen!

This is a fine game they've made. Well done.

woober

Durante said:
saving Malik

I had the mech blowing up kill a soldier and still managed to get the Pacifist achievement. I think as long as characters don't die by your hand or you don't get points for killing, you're good to go.

I tried so many times trying to get the soldier not to die by letting him walk further out, dragging his body before emping the bot , etc. but gave up in the end. Glad it still worked out though :p.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You got more XP for knocking someone out manually than you do using a weapon or killing them, and if you gonna kill someone, you got more for headshot kills.

You also get XP for exploring, like finding alternate routes and stuff. Was so happy that the encouraged you to do that kind of thing.

Anyone else spend a lot of time moving unconscious or dead bodies into amusing poses and positions? I spent maybe too much time making human patterns on the ground.

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Any plans to release the soundtrack outside of the Augmented Edition? It's absolutely one of my favorites of the year next to the Sword & Sworcery LP.

Michael McCann, the composer, has mentioned he's working out the details for a soundtrack release.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
You got more XP for knocking someone out manually than you do using a weapon or killing them, and if you gonna kill someone, you got more for headshot kills.

You also get XP for exploring, like finding alternate routes and stuff. Was so happy that the encouraged you to do that kind of thing.

Anyone else spend a lot of time moving unconscious or dead bodies into amusing poses and positions? I spent maybe too much time making human patterns on the ground.
So far I've draped a few apartment dwellers plausibly on their sofa. I also stuffed five guys into a small tube. My preference is to just pile four or five dudes into a pile behind a desk. I like to picture the secretary wandering in and finding them.

Curious if anyone else does this: for my first play through of a game, I play on default difficulty and without looking at the Achievements ever; the ones I get are incidental. I then do a play through on the hardest setting, deliberately trying for as many as I can notch along the way.

(On this first run, I'm deliberately taking a non-lethal approach; I didn't even know there was an Achievement for it until some one mentioned it.)

dankir

Just beat it this afternoon.... FAN FUCKING TASTIC.

The the story, the gameplay, the visuals, the design, the environments all were just flat out fantastic.

The only thing that need alot of work was the lip syncing and the boss battles.

BRING ON THE DLC!

Bloodsent

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Michael McCann, the composer, has mentioned he's working out the details for a soundtrack release.

Thank God, didn't feel that some of the really great music was in the Augmented Edition, or at least the full versions.

Ken

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Any plans to release the soundtrack outside of the Augmented Edition? It's absolutely one of my favorites of the year next to the Sword & Sworcery LP.

Isn't the music that's packaged with the Augmented Edition just two minute snippets? Sounds more like a preview soundtrack than a full one.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Durante said:
I agree completely. Even the overall way the game is laid out is very reminiscent of Bloodlines. When running through the hubs on some side quest or when entering the Hive I couldn't help thinking about VTM:B. Which is somewhat regrettable, since Bloodlines is basically the only game I could be thinking about and feel like Deus Ex HR is slightly lacking in comparison. Don't get me wrong, it's easily still my favourite game so far this year, but Bloodlines is one of my top 3 favourite games of all time.

yeah, I agree with you. Quests are also less free form which is more akin to Bloodlines than Deus Ex.

Writing in Bloodlines is much better. I wish they did a game with Mitsoda.

MrOogieBoogie

subversus said:
yeah, I agree with you. Quests are also less free form which is more akin to Bloodlines than Deus Ex.

Writing in Bloodlines is much better. I wish they did a game with Mitsoda.

I don't want to start a debate here over which game is better (because they're both great in their own ways), but Bloodlines is severely marred by its atrocious combat. For Deus Ex, the combat and stealth is one of the game's high points.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MrOogieBoogie said:
I don't want to start a debate here over which game is better (because they're both great in their own ways), but Bloodlines is severely marred by its atrocious combat. For Deus Ex, the combat and stealth is one of the game's high points.

shitty combat was par for the course for old PC games. Jank, jank and more jank. I think that's because they weren't compared to japanese console counterparts which featured polished combat. Now they are.

and before someone says something like "japanese games don't influence anybody this gen" - they had influenced anybody before this gen.

HolyTaco

Finished the game a while ago, need to do my second play through still but I lent it to a friend first. Nearly everything was great, I didn't even mind the boss battles lol (well I didn't mind them because I had typhoon to spam and won near instantly :p) but the last level sucked. And I didn't like ANY of the endings. Boring cinematics with Jensens boring ramblings ZzzzZzz didn't do every sidequest so next time I have to figure out which ones I missed as well as do a passive stealth run. Really looking forward to playing through it again, such a great prequel to Deus Ex, there were graphical elements that annoyed me like the piss filter and the swaps to 3rd person when you fall from heights with that ability but I got over them and the game was incredible.

MrOogieBoogie

subversus said:
shitty combat was par for the course for old PC games.

That's not completely true. Bloodlines was released around the time of Half-Life 2, Call of Duty, and Doom 3. No excuse.

Top Bottom