• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MrOogieBoogie said:
That's not completely true. Bloodlines was released around the time of Half-Life 2, Call of Duty, and Doom 3. No excuse.

I don't think they were compared directly. People compared it to System Shock 2, Deus Ex. At least I think they were. And all these games had shitty janky combat. I remember people were ok with that. STALKER also had its solid amount of jank - certainly not COD, Doom (and so on) type of shooting. It's just different.

also it was released on time with these games but was developed at the same time so they had not anything to compare or emulate.

Durante

MrOogieBoogie said:
I don't want to start a debate here over which game is better (because they're both great in their own ways), but Bloodlines is severely marred by its atrocious combat.
People say that about many of my favourite games. I never seem to notice, probably because I don't do "combat" as such in these games. And when I'm forced to (eg. the boss fights in HR) it seems to suck in all of them.

Rapture

Just finished the game yesterday and i gotta say probably one of the most thought provoking endings to a game I've played in a long time.

*End Game*
I went with destroying the entire station for my first play through and i have to say it was my favorite ending, mostly due to something Jensen said along the lines of "no man can decide the future for all of man kind, not Darrow, Taggart, Sarif or even me".
Brilliant writing in my opinion. The whole game had a lot of great moments that made me really think on "What does it mean to be Human?"... at least in a world where that technology exists.

Never played the first game but i understand that this game is supposed to be sort of a spiritual prequel to it. Might have to go out and pick it up now.

angrybus

Banned
For anyone having trouble with the bosses--whether you're playing stealthy or otherwise--take this PRO (obviously) tip:

Save up as many frag mines as possible. Disable and take the ones during the Derelict Row satellite mission; buy them from vendors; make your own with the mine templates and frag grenades.

Just store as many as you can. As soon as a boss fight starts, all you have to do is throw all the mines you have at their feet--I defeated every boss in the game in less than five seconds using this method. It isn't a "fun" solution per se, but it gets the job done.

Enco

Dries said:
So when doing a stealth/hacking build, what's the best way to deal with the bosses?
Get the typhoon with some ammo (2 or 3 is enough for all bosses I think).

Also, carry a pistol/machine pistol/shotgun with some ammo. Just one or two will do. Also a couple of grenades will help.

Zenith

Banned
Rapture said:
*End Game*
I went with destroying the entire station for my first play through and i have to say it was my favorite ending, mostly due to something Jensen said along the lines of "no man can decide the future for all of man kind, not Darrow, Taggart, Sarif or even me".
Brilliant writing in my opinion.

Except that means
Darrow's ending is the best as that gives everyone an accurate telling of events and allows them to decide for themselves whilst suicide ending hides the truth from everybody and no one knows any better vis-a-vis augs and the Illuminati.

Ken

Dries said:
So when doing a stealth/hacking build, what's the best way to deal with the bosses?
EMP grenades or EMP mines and the Typhoon augment.

An upgraded pistol is very handy overall as well.

Now fully giving myself to this after some side distractions

Currently
escaping Van Buren's apartment in China
. I'm so in love with this game ...it's scary
Also, I dunno know, didn't have a problem with first boss. Basically
Used 3 EMPs and shot him in the head with a Combat Rifle. suprised how easy he was honestly

I'm just doing a mostly non-combat/stealth/hacker build. I keep my offensive augs up though so I can "go loud" when the time comes and not F5/F9 my way through stuff. Not the way it should be played your first time through I believe.

Watched Ghost in the Shell 2.0 over the weekend. Terrible. Buy the Bandai Special Edition DVD if you can and avoid "2.0" nonsense.
Anyway, sooo many influences Eidos took from this (among many others obviously). Gonna have to track down Bandai DVD of Innocence as blu-ray has been out of print for awhile and both versions are identical anyway aside from PQ upgrade. Not to mention I already have the rest on the series on DVD (SAC, 2nd GiG).

Durante

Dries said:
Spam Typhoon. Seriously, I was trying to do it "right" for a bit, but it's just annoying. 3 praxis points and the inventory space for a few typhoon ammo is well worth not dealing with the hassle.

What should I go for early on then to make playthrough easier? Playing a stealth build with tranq/shock gun.
Good general stuff with lots of use, cheap to get:
- heavy stuff lifting
- jump height increase
- radar level 2
For hacking:
- stealth and capture, the rest is unnecessary
Crazy broken awesome:
- cloak (breaks stealth gameplay)
- typhoon (breaks boss fights)

YMMV.

HolyTaco

Is silent running worthwhile to get early on? I'm on chapter 5.

I really liked it, especially later when it got harder to remain stealth with so many duders around. There a few points with 5 guys around, and sure I could've taken longer without it staying stealth but with silent sprint I could be literally right behind a guy and sprint right past him without him turning around. Was awesome, I rate the ability for stealthy players

What should I go for early on then to make playthrough easier? Playing a stealth build with tranq/shock gun.

I haven't done a passive + stealth run yet, though I was very stealthy on my do whatever I want play through. My plan next run was to pump my batteries, invisibility and silent run/jump/sprint asap, haven't played for nearly a week so I may be forgetting something important but they seem like the best stealth abilities from memory. I found the silent ability great and ended up using it a lot, I didn't even try invisibility but maxed out I can imagine it's pretty useful as long as you've got enough batteries and drugs to replenish them.

Also can you use the silence and invisibility ability simultaneously? If not this would diminish the usefulness of getting both

Balphon

Level 1 Cloaking (or more, if you want), Reflex Booster (dual takedown), Lift Heavy Objects, Hacking Capture Level 2-3. Maybe Radar Level 2 if you want guards to show up on the radar before you see them. Don't bother with the "stealth" upgrades, though; they largely do more harm than good.

Dries

Thinking about going to DX9 because of the stuttering bug (there seems to be a DX9 fix). How is the comparison? Will I miss the DX11 graphic features a bunch?

HolyTaco

Yup upgrading the radar and the heavy lifting was really useful too. High jump let me take a fair few alternate routes that bypassed heavily patrolled areas too

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Branson said:
Does going hostle against (near end I guess?)
the crazies count against foxiest?

Quite possibly. By that point I had full cloaking, full power upgrades, extended, faster sprinting, etc, so it wasn't a huge issue to avoid them.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Branson said:
Does going hostle against (near end I guess?)
the crazies count against foxiest?

No it doesn't. I went full stealth but at that part I was just like "fuck this" and dashed through and got the achievment. (Didn't even know about it lol)

Foxiest is about "alarms" afaik, so as long as no one presses the alarm button you're good.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i just wiped out the whole Detroit police station building(RIP poor guy at the reception), went outside and all the cops acted like nothing happen. Talk about weak communication in the police. :p

I also punched Megan's mother after i completed her sidequest. And the woman who didn't want to replace my mirror. Damn her. And killed everyone else in the lobby. No witnesses. Fun. :D

Des0lar said:
Foxiest is about "alarms" afaik, so as long as no one presses the alarm button you're good.
That's right, and it can also be lost if a turret or camera goes hostile on you, even if it's only for a split second. I suspect that's what prevented me from getting the trophy on my second playthrough even though an alarm never went off.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Bisnic said:
So i just wiped out the whole Detroit police station building(RIP poor guy at the reception), went outside and all the cops acted like nothing happen. Talk about weak communication in the police. :p

I also punched Megan's mother after i completed her sidequest. And the woman who didn't want to replace my mirror. Damn her. And killed everyone else in the lobby. No witnesses. Fun. :D
Haha, way to go!

That poor bloke at reception. I am playing like an absolute dick as well, and I thought I'd just try my luck at marching into the police station (for one of the first main quests in Detroit) and see how it went. I was stopped by that guy...

Upon engaging him in conversation, I hit "Crush" on every single option, hoping I'd come across as a horrible person and would have to kill my way into the morgue. But at the end of it he was literally crushed, and feeling sorry for himself just said "Go on in."

Gave me a good chuckle, completely went against my expectations. Considering how this is a sequel, and how it uses a lot of modern game design, the amount of originality and surprises this game is throwing out is fantastic.

although i am slightly annoyed by it, i can't help but laugh when bystanders freak out and scream/run when they witness me hacking a door of any kind. sometimes they don't care, sometimes they absolutely melt down and run away. if i find them they cower on the corner begging me not to hurt them.

it's also odd how sometimes i will open a freshly hacked door, see WHITE icons on my radar (indicates they are enemies that aren't aware of me) and then when i walk in they suddenly all turn green. dude wasn't even mad at me for breaking into his place.

a lot of people are acting like these types of things break the realism or whatever but i think it's perfectly fine. if they had an oblivion-esque system of NPC's attitudes toward you based on your actions it would severely bog down the game.

i have a quick question though, for those that have finished Hengshah part 1:
which mission or sidequest requires me to give some guy a gun to protect himself? a buddy of mine mentioned it but didn't specify which quest it was. said he had to give up an awesome gun to some dude. i picked up a spare pistol just in case, but would like to know when this is going to go down. i just finished M1 and S1 in Hengshah, and i'm about to enter the Hive.

Balphon

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i have a quick question though, for those that have finished Hengshah part 1:
which mission or sidequest requires me to give some guy a gun to protect himself? a buddy of mine mentioned it but didn't specify which quest it was. said he had to give up an awesome gun to some dude. i picked up a spare pistol just in case, but would like to know when this is going to go down. i just finished M1 and S1 in Hengshah, and i'm about to enter the Hive.

The main mission in
Alice Garden Pods, a little past where you are. You don't actually need to give him the gun, but the person in question will give you money later on if you do.

Balphon said:
The main mission in
Alice Garden Pods, a little past where you are. You don't actually need to give him the gun, but the person in question will give you money later on if you do.

well i appreciate this persons sentiment, but i dunno if the two of us can fit in a pod...???

thanks for the info. loving Hengshah so far and im glad i listened to you guys and got the icarus landing aug.

Dennis

Banned
Boris released a new stuttering fix. I have no idea if it works or will blow up your PC.

ENB said:
Deus Ex Human Revolution 0.085 SPEED IMPLANT - version for fixing "stuttering" bug in this game and increase performance. No FX applied.

B-Genius said:
Upon engaging him in conversation, I hit "Crush" on every single option, hoping I'd come across as a horrible person and would have to kill my way into the morgue. But at the end of it he was literally crushed, and feeling sorry for himself just said "Go on in."

Gave me a good chuckle, completely went against my expectations. Considering how this is a sequel, and how it uses a lot of modern game design, the amount of originality and surprises this game is throwing out is fantastic.
That is really cool, I had no idea you could win the conversation like that. Even the guide, which is pretty comprehensive as far as I can tell, didn't mention it. It's awesome to see things like that in a game.

Dries

DennisK4 said:
Boris released a new stuttering fix. I have no idea if it works or will blow up your PC.

Yeah, that's what we need to. Is it for DX11? I'm still debating to go for the DX9 fix, but I'm wondering if DX9 will give me a huge drawback in the graphics department.

wutwutwut

B-Genius said:
That poor bloke at reception. I am playing like an absolute dick as well, and I thought I'd just try my luck at marching into the police station (for one of the first main quests in Detroit) and see how it went. I was stopped by that guy...

Just... be prepared for the consequences.

picked up for $35 @ TRU. Played just through the opening. Unfortunately I also just started Xenoblade and I got Dark Souls in under a month. Looks like my backlog is gonna start growing again.

dankir

Ken said:
I don't think it's ever worth getting.

Don't listen to this man, silent walking / running with extended sprints and landing from jumps without making a sound coupled with going invisible means you can run through whole area's unnoticed.

Granted you need to have a healthy stock of cyberpro boost bars but I went through entire final section of the game with ease.

:)

CrankyJay said:
Sure, but it may be $30 a few weeks from now. My backlog is go big I'm going to wait for $20.
I'm too finicky to have much of a backlog, lol. I have games I play repeatedly or games I don't finish. I'm totally cool with paying 35 bucks for this so quickly after launch.

I regret the way I am playing this. I applaud the game for being so difficult. I have given up on commando-ing my way through the mobs. Too little ammo, to kill everything.

I just don't have the patience to all this stealth. It's way to late in the game, but I spent lots of points in hacking, and it's somewhat better, but still so much fucking trial and error and waiting for alarms to go away.

What I hate about these stealth games is that they all have this wacky dumb AI. The AI in this game is just as retarded as it was in splinter cell, and that kills the immersion, and makes me not give a hoot.

Is there another way to play this than the hacker / sneaky aspect? I took the social enhancer perk, because I thought I would be able to talk myself out of shit, but that have rarely been the case thus far.

Pennybags

dankir said:
Granted you need to have a healthy stock of cyberpro boost bars but I went through entire final section of the game with ease.

:)

You don't even really need that. I became an expert at using the upgraded cloak and battery recharge to sprint from one cover island to another without using up a single battery.

During the majority of the last half of the game I managed with just one cell.

Just beat the game on Hard without killing anyone or setting off any alarms. Time to dance! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU

Anyone else not have the Doctorate or Gun Nut achievements, though? Man, I never rushed through the game or anything in my two playthroughs and somehow I've still missed these twice. Guess I need to use a guide and/or upgrade a different weapon than the pistol.

Top Bottom