• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

dankir

Pennybags said:
You don't even really need that. I became an expert at using the upgraded cloak and battery recharge to sprint from one cover island to another without using up a single battery.

During the majority of the last half of the game I managed with just one cell.

I did it with 2. But yeah you're right if you can shut off the aug before the battery runs out completely then you can let it recharge.

CrankyJay

Banned
squidhands said:
I'm too finicky to have much of a backlog, lol. I have games I play repeatedly or games I don't finish. I'm totally cool with paying 35 bucks for this so quickly after launch.

Totally. =) I would buy it now too if I didn't have like 5-6 more games. LOL.

TenshiOni said:
Just beat the game on Hard without killing anyone or setting off any alarms. Time to dance! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU

Anyone else not have the Doctorate or Gun Nut achievements, though? Man, I never rushed through the game or anything in my two playthroughs and somehow I've still missed these twice. Guess I need to use a guide and/or upgrade a different weapon than the pistol.
I've got gun nut but I used the guide to find weapon upgrade locations. A lot of them are fairly well hidden. As for the Darrow Books, most of them are pretty easy to find but there are a few that are tucked away in hidden areas. I got 28 of them on my last playthrough because I somehow forgot to get one in TYM.

I'm still mad that I didn't get the Foxiest of the Hounds trophy. So bitter.

gdt5016 said:
Okayyyy, any tips for the second boss? My augs are all screwy too :(.
Run straight towards her when she charges you and the thrust of her attack will take her far enough away that you won't get damaged. As soon as she finishes her attack turn around and stun her, either with the stun gun or an EMP grenade/mine. Once she's stunned use your lethal weapon of choice (shotgun works well) and shoot her head. Whenever she starts shooting just hide behind a wall somewhere.

You can also shoot the power cells on the wall to electrocute the water and hurt her that way, just make sure you're on the dry metal section of the floor when you do it (unless you have the aug that makes you invulnerable to damage from electricity, in which case you're fine anywhere).

There are tons of EMP mines and other useful items in the drawers around the outskirts of the room. If you want you can just lay the EMP mines around the perimeter of the room and wait for her to run into them.

I'm guessing you don't have typhoon but if you do you can just spam that and beat her easily.

gdt5016 said:
Err, I meant the third boss! In the room with all the bodies! Can't use typhoon or cloak :/.
You're killin' me, man.

As soon as the fight starts run back to the wall and take cover. From here you can throw frag mines or any grenades you have and take him down in 20 seconds or so. You can also use blindfire if you have any lethal weapons. If he throws grenades just run away and get somewhere safe. There are items in the drawers underneath the statues.

The main thing is making sure there is always something between you and him because his plasma rifle is pretty lethal. He flips over walls a lot so make sure you account for that by switching sides as well. The best place to be is taking cover on one of those walls that is in between the outside and inside of the room.

H3xum

gdt5016 said:
Okayyyy, any tips for the second boss? My augs are all screwy too :(.

Hammer her as she's running directly at you and just absorb the hit (i did it on give me deus ex and survived without any armor augs). After that, CHASE HER so she doesn't stop to charge, taking pot shots as she rounds towards the openings. Once you've done that for awhile, stand in the center and wait until the game says "Shes coming for you" then bust out your stun gun. As she charges directly at you, hit her with as many of them as you have and then mine, mine, mine, so on and so forth. If you don't have any, check the lockers on the side.

H3xum

gdt5016 said:
Err, I meant the third boss! In the room with all the bodies! Can't use typhoon or cloak :/.

Doh, just finished the 2nd boss. Mine him right off the bat with as many as you have, while he's stunned run to the middle back wall and pelt him with your strongest gun. Once he goes invis or chucks his nades, run to the outside walls and do a lap, he'll always end up back in the center jumping from side to side. Scour the side tables for mines and nades. Rinse and repeat

gdt

This guy is ridiculously hard. I only have a sniper rife on me, with laser sight. 1 frag, 2 concussions, and a bunch of emp's.

Durante

Just finished the game, played on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty. I got the Pacifist achievement, but somehow missed Foxiest. Oh well, what can you do.

The last string of missions was a bit worse than what came before it, but it's still my GotY so far. Bring on the next one I say.

One thing though: the boss fights in this were actually worse than in Alpha Protocol. But at least you could easily Typhoon spam your way through them.

dankir

gdt5016 said:

Grenade Launcher, he died in literally 4 seconds.

This guy is ridiculously hard. I only have a sniper rife on me, with laser sight. 1 frag, 2 concussions, and a bunch of emp's.

There are weapons all over the place aren't there? The drawers and near the other statues I think.

Angry Fork

For that boss I had a fully maxed revolver with a lot of ammo. I just kept hugging the wall moving left and right waiting for him to pop up, I hit him with 2-3 shots from the revolver right after he appears, then run all the way to the other side and repeat. After like 12 shots he goes down.

Audioboxer

Can you revisit areas? Just about to leave Detroit for CHina but I'm not 100% sure I've explored everywhere.

Also do the enemies in the prologue count towards the "do not kill anyone" trophy/achievement? If so, smh. Been playing like a stealth pro and I just came across some chit chat on google about needing to do the prologue without attacking anyone.

Can you revisit areas? Just about to leave Detroit for CHina but I'm not 100% sure I've explored everywhere.

Also do the enemies in the prologue count towards the "do not kill anyone" trophy/achievement? If so, smh. Been playing like a stealth pro and I just came across some chit chat on google about needing to do the prologue without attacking anyone.
You can't revisit areas unless the story takes you there but you will get to return to Detroit eventually to clean up any additional exploring you want to do. Be warned though, if you have any active side quests you won't be able to finish them now or at any point in the future if you decide to leave.

And yes, killing enemies in the prologue negates the Pacifist trophy/achievement.

Dresden said:
Just do this for the third boss: one hit.
That doesn't work if you
got the replacement chip
because you can't do takedowns. I think gdt5016 is in that boat although he never said for sure.

Audioboxer

The_Darkest_Red said:
You can't revisit areas unless the story takes you there but you will get to return to Detroit eventually to clean up any additional exploring you want to do. Be warned though, if you have any active side quests you won't be able to finish them now or at any point in the future if you decide to leave.

And yes, killing enemies in the prologue negates the Pacifist trophy/achievement.

Argh. Guess it doesn't really matter about keeping them alive now, other than the small xp bump.

GhaleonEB

I had a hilarious episode last night that illustrated how poor the AI is, but it was fun to screw with it. I raided the police station for a side quest, and because I'm a bit of a completionist, I insisted on knocking out every single dude in there, mostly through take downs.

At one point I use the tranquilizer gun to tag someone in the hallway from a distance. His buddy comes over to see if he's okay, and I tag him. He falls over, and someone comes over to check on him - *shpop* - three bodies in a big pile in the hallway.

I took to stuffing them into the ventilation shafts I was using to move around. At one point I got caught pulling someone into the shaft, and the guy understandably freaked out. He was standing about five feet away as his buddy disappeared in a series of erratic jerks into the ventilation system. I'd either run for help, or assume I had been transported to the movie Alien and run the hell away. He stood there in Hostile state for a moment, then backed down to merely Alarmed and turned his back. I pop out and take him down, stuff him into the shaft.

You can see where this is going. I had six cops jammed into one small shaft and had to change locations because I was running out of room.

Then things got absurd. Near the bottom floor, in the pit of cubicles with lots of computers to hack, were around a dozen cops. I found myself pinned in the bathroom, where I fled into a small duct in the far corner. It only runs 20 feet or so, banking around the corner and into an office. At one point I was in that little corner with a pack of guys in both the office and just outside the bathroom screaming about the guy in there.

I figured, okay, I'm busted, might as well go out swinging. So I step into the office, stand up right in front of the closest guy, and punch him out. The other guys start shooting, but I manage to crouch and back up into the shaft and out of their line of fire, grabbing the ankle of the guy I punched out and tugging him in with me. Crowded, but cozy.

After a minute, everyone inexplicably shifts over to Alarmed status and goes back to roaming mode. Um, fellas?

Ten minutes later I have four sleeping cops stuffed into stall #2 of the mens room, and another in stall #1. I hope no one has to go.

After finishing up the police station like this and knocking off the first two side quests last night, (S2 and S3, which makes me think I missed one), I upped my hacking skills by blowing my credit haul on a few Praxis from the LIMB clinic, and went exploring in the city.

This morning I stumbled into a few hookers talking near an alley, and some armed guards over them with "ONG" (I think) on their shirt. They won't let me advance through the alley. I don't like that. I'm doing a pacifist run, so a frontal assault was out of the picture (okay, I tried once). I found my way onto a roof near by, and walked along a ledge, some duct work, and then did a few jumps to get onto the fire escape. Up there I punch through a wall to choke some dude, take his buddy out with a traq, loot them and snag a shotgun they had hidden away.

I go down the fire escape and find myself cut off in their territory. So, I've pushed deeper. At this point I've got two caches of dozing guards, about nine in total, tucked into the recesses of a side room and behind a dumpster. I found myself on the opposite side of some boxes I wasn't strong enough to move; I'd assumed I was limited to having to upgrade a perk to get around it. It was a satisfying realization that I'd inadvertently explored my way around it.

I have no idea where I am how how much trouble I'm getting into here, but I'm having fun finding out. I know I'm in way over my head as there are tons of guys all around me; using a mixture of take downs/body dumps and sneaking past them I'm progressing to some interiors, where I had to stop until tonight.

My many issues from my first impressions - which were steeply negative - persist, but boy this is fun.

mug

You return to each place through the story so the levels do change. If you haven't completed the side quests prior to departing I really suggest finishing them. The prologue kills do count btw.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm doing a pacifist run, so a frontal assault was out of the picture (okay, I tried once). I found my way onto a roof near by, and walked along a ledge, some duct work, and then did a few jumps to get onto the fire escape. Up there I punch through a wall to choke some dude, take his buddy out with a traq, loot them and snag a shotgun they had hidden away.

I go down the fire escape and find myself cut off in their territory. So, I've pushed deeper. At this point I've got two caches of dozing guards, about nine in total, tucked into the recesses of a side room and behind a dumpster. I found myself on the opposite side of some boxes I wasn't strong enough to move; I'd assumed I was limited to having to upgrade a perk to get around it. It was a satisfying realization that I'd inadvertently explored my way around it.

I have no idea where I am how how much trouble I'm getting into here, but I'm having fun finding out. I know I'm in way over my head as there are tons of guys all around me; using a mixture of take downs/body dumps and sneaking past them I'm progressing to some interiors, where I had to stop until tonight.
I hope you aren't too concerned about that Pacifist trophy, "choking" people through walls kills them.

The area you're in is home to a side mission and story mission but the game allows you to explore it beforehand if you want. I did the same thing my first time through without any prior knowledge. The good thing is the conditions that you leave the place in (knocked out guards, moved boxes and barrels, etc.) will be the same when you come back later for the missions.

As far as the AI, yeah there are some goofy moments but it's par for the course in a stealth game. It actually inspired me to create this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443927

gdt

Beat him! Basically we fought corner to corner in the perimeter. Take cover, wait for him to show, pop him 2 or 3 times with the sniper rifle, head to the next corner, repeat.

thefil

Finished the game last night. Deus Ex has become one of my favourite games of ever, and unfortunately this one did disappoint me a little. It's so hard to evaluate a game well when it is potentially better than 90% of other games but doesn't live up to it's own legacy.

Top three things better than Deus Ex:
+ conversation system
+ characters
+ plot

Top three things worse than Deus Ex
- less potential for different play-styles
- map design
- designed for hand holding ("I'm sending you the coordinates!")

Basically it gained from the storytelling advances of this generation but also suffered from the lack of gameplay-driven design this gen.

GhaleonEB

The_Darkest_Red said:
I hope you aren't too concerned about that Pacifist trophy, "choking" people through walls kills them.
What? Ug. Yes, I was going for the achievement. Nice of the game to let me know about that. :\

Durante

GhaleonEB said:
What? Ug. Yes, I was going for the achievement. Nice of the game to let me know about that. :\
Er, you twist their neck and then their corpses (w/ the skull icon) lie on the ground. Kind of hard to miss :p

There are much more subtle ways to lose the Pacifist achievement.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I did 2 runs so far, and i have yet to find the hostages in the first mission after you get "rebuilt". I'm sure i've looked in every rooms on my 2nd run, yet i haven't found any. Is it because i wasted 5 mins walking around the Sarif's building instead of going straight to Pritchard and they were already dead?

Bisnic said:
I did 2 runs so far, and i have yet to find the hostages in the first mission after you get "rebuilt". I'm sure i've looked in every rooms on my 2nd run, yet i haven't found any. Is it because i wasted 5 mins walking around the Sarif's building instead of going straight to Pritchard and they were already dead?
Yes. You have to get started on the mission quickly.
You can still find the hostages though, they'll just be dead. When you come to the first large, open, 2 story room in that mission the room with the hostages is straight ahead of you on the first floor.

GhaleonEB

Durante said:
Er, you twist their neck and then their corpses (w/ the skull icon) lie on the ground. Kind of hard to miss :p

There are much more subtle ways to lose the Pacifist achievement.
I've only taken one guy out that way, and it didn't look any more violent than the other non-lethal take downs. I didn't check for the skull since I just did a quick loot hit and moved on. But I've saved over my file since then so my run is shot. Really bummed out. I'm not going to do more than two runs through the game - and maybe just one - so I'll just abandon that achievement.

Bisnic said:

Yeah, I missed them on my first playthrough, they're in the first big lab room after the shipping area you enter the building in, on the second floor at the far side of the room. Easy to miss

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Yeah, I missed them on my first playthrough, they're in the first big lab room after the shipping area you enter the building in, on the second floor at the far side of the room. Easy to miss
Also worth noting is that when you come into that room you can jump over the railing and find an air-duct in the left-hand corner of the room on the side closest to where you entered (it's behind three movable crates). That will take you to a ladder which takes you to a beam running over the large lab. If you follow that beam it will take you to a hole which drops you straight into the room with the hostages.

Durante

MarshMellow96 said:
The only part I've struggled with on pacifist is the
heli crash

Man, I was ill-equipped for that..
Tell me about it. 50 tries. Doesn't help that there was a guy that blows himself up every 2nd time I loaded.

C-Jo

Durante said:
Tell me about it. 50 tries. Doesn't help that there was a guy that blows himself up every 2nd time I loaded.
Does that matter? I thought enemies could die, so long as it wasn't by your hand.

Audioboxer

Oh those funny devs!

IMG_20110912_201133.jpg

while we're talking about trouble with getting the pacifist achievement, I'm starting a pacifist run and had some questions about the last section of the game
In Panchaea, how the HELL do you avoid all those zombies? Their AI is horribly erratic, you can knock one out and then three down the hall switch into Hostile mode. I'm also trying for foxiest of hounds, btw.

FrontalMonk said:
while we're talking about trouble with getting the pacifist achievement, I'm starting a pacifist run and had some questions about the last section of the game
In Panchaea, how the HELL do you avoid all those zombies? Their AI is horribly erratic, you can knock one out and then three down the hall switch into Hostile mode. I'm also trying for foxiest of hounds, btw.
There are very clever paths that lead around all of the crazies, but you might need a guide to find some of them. I used the guide for that area of the game during my pacifist run and I must say that it really helped me appreciate the level design during that final stretch much more.

FrontalMonk said:
Cloak

satriales

TenshiOni said:
Anyone else not have the Doctorate or Gun Nut achievements, though? Man, I never rushed through the game or anything in my two playthroughs and somehow I've still missed these twice. Guess I need to use a guide and/or upgrade a different weapon than the pistol.
I'm probably not even halfway through the game yet and I've just received the Gun Nut trophy without even trying to get it.
I was using the Tranq Gun as my main weapon and it doesn't require many upgrades to be fully upgraded.

FrontalMonk said:
I got the lung enhancement that made me immune to gas, walked up to them and threw a gas grenade at my feet. All of the enemies ran toward me and then passed out. Got foxiest and pacifist.

Dave1988

GhaleonEB said:
I've only taken one guy out that way, and it didn't look any more violent than the other non-lethal take downs. I didn't check for the skull since I just did a quick loot hit and moved on. But I've saved over my file since then so my run is shot. Really bummed out. I'm not going to do more than two runs through the game - and maybe just one - so I'll just abandon that achievement.

I'm sorry but how did you confuse a neck snap for a chokehold?

GhaleonEB

Dave1988 said:
I'm sorry but how did you confuse a neck snap for a chokehold?
Eh, I thought he just grabbed the guy threw him over to the side; I was semi-distracted at the time, listening to a conference call. It's my fault for not noticing the skull icon when I looted the guy.

At any rate, it frees me up to go the kill route when the situation warrants. And also, to kill some random hobos, which goes a long way with me.

dankir

Durante said:
I'm not 100% certain, but I read that the game has a pretty wide definition of what is "by your hand".

I did it with a tranq gun and stun gun only. I used an EMP bomb on the mechs and when they exploded they took out all the heavies.

So I didn't kill them, the robot did and I still got the achievement :)

Durante

dankir said:
I did it with a tranq gun and stun gun only. I used an EMP bomb on the mechs and when they exploded they took out all the heavies.

So I didn't kill them, the robot did and I still got the achievement :)
Seriously? That worked? I restarted the sequence 3 times after completing it because the mech explosion killed a soldier :/

Top Bottom