• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Durante said:
That shot makes me extremely happy that the PC version is supposed to offer a good variety of AA modes.

Yeah, the only thing that really bugs me about the shots from the leak is the lack of AA. I should be able to add a high amount without any loss of performance, considering how the game looks, and that's good enough for me.

Amir0x

Banned
FireFly said:

Tons of those have the piss filter. Actually, almost all of them do. The only one that really escapes it altogether is the white room, even though the computer screens are in the corner goin' "fuck don't forget about the piss!"

Edit: oh and screenshot 81 seems to lack the worst of it, although that screenshot is HIDEOUS. Looks like super early Deus Ex Human Rev version gross

The piss filter is the yellow hue being applied over top most of the scenes. In almost all those shots, it is hugely pronounced so...yeah.

The shot DennisK4 showed (second half, not first half):

DennisK4 said:
With and without Piss Filter. Courtesy ENB.

Doesn't have a piss filter. God I really might wait for ENB's shiz. So much more naturalistic.

Derrick01

Banned
MNC said:
Fuck that shit, how does this game not look good? Do you guys mean the art style? the IQ? The video settings?

If we're comparing just the quality of the graphics it's obvious it's not up to par with most modern AAA games, but it makes up for that with the art style.

I personally think the game looks good enough for me as long as the gameplay is as deep as DX1. At least it shouldn't be too hard to get the game running on the highest settings, excluding DX11 stuff obviously.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MNC said:
Fuck that shit, how does this game not look good? Do you guys mean the art style? the IQ? The video settings?

Human Revolution isn't technically impressive, as in the engine powering it isn't doing anything fancy. Quite the contrary, it's quite dated by comparison to what a modern game should look like. For example, environment shadows are baked, rather than rendered in real time. Sometimes character shadows dont render at all (based on the preview build). A lot of textures are relatively low resolution. The geometry complexity on props and what have you is really quite low.

But the art sets it apart from other games on the market, in my opinion. Its an attractive game if you're able to appreciate the level of quality in the art direction.

FireFly

Amir0x said:
Tons of those have the piss filter. Actually, almost all of them do. The only one that really escapes it altogether is the white room, even though the computer screens are in the corner goin' "fuck don't forget about the piss!"

The piss filter is the yellow hue being applied over top most of the scenes. In almost all those shots, it is hugely pronounced so...yeah.

The shot DennisK4 showed:

Doesn't have a piss filter. God I really might wait for ENB's shiz. So much more naturalistic.
If you're talking about the post process effect, then yeah, it's going to appear in almost all the shots. I was mainly referring to the art style, and the fact that not everything is black and gold.

shagg_187 said:
Here's the best example of piss filter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVQsK_RVAuY

Hell, this is the game that gave birth to piss filter and mods like ENB to correct the piss filter. Most definitely Deus Ex will have mods like that too.

See, that or GRID are examples of egregious brownish yellow hues. It feels out of place in those games, like it's a messed up color option.

Deus Ex's gold and black works because it's cohesive with every other part of the visual design.

Linkzg said:
See, that or GRID are examples of egregious brownish yellow hues. It feels out of place in those games, like it's a messed up color option.

Deus Ex's gold and black works because it's cohesive with every other part of the visual design.

Same shit. Different color combination according to your brain (No. that is not an insult, I swear).

Blizzard

Banned
Two thoughts on this:

1. If criticisms of this game are largely limited to voice acting and graphics, then it will almost be a triumph, considering the "JC A BOMB" and "WHAT A SHAME" kinda stuff from the original game, right? And I didn't dig up any Dues Ex 1 character screenshots, but presumably we all agree that game wasn't amazing graphically...right?

2. I don't know that I have -ever- liked a yellow filter in racing games, or in the Resident Evil game (I think that's the one where there was some disagreement over removing it). I don't like the left 4 dead grainy filters. In this one case however, with those screens posted above, I think the golden version actually looks better. Without it, it looks washed out and ugly in my opinion, not even naturalistic. It's almost a retreat into the world of grey and brown, since the signs aren't a brighter red.

Peterthumpa

Linkzg said:

Exactly. The piss filter in Human Revolution is actually responsible for setting the mood for the game. Even the CG cutscenes have it, which in fact, would look pretty weird when using a mod, as the CG videos would remain with the effect on.

I decided to pre-order the 360 version, I just love the controller so much more. if something comes out around Monday or Tuesday that the PS3 version has a huge advantage or something I will switch it.

shagg_187 said:
Same shit. Different color combination according to your brain (No. that is not an insult, I swear).

I'm using gold and black now to differentiate it for you folk, since I used brownish yellow as a negative for GRID and that F1 game. Likewise I could have called GRID a piss filter and HR brownish yellow. Same difference. Just a way to say the effect isn't strictly negative, just like most effects. Actually, I can't think of a pejorative for games that overuse bloom or blurring.

Esch

Banned
Some games look great with those types of filters. MGS4 and Killzone 2 looked good with them, and i think this game works with it too.

I love the overall art direction of the world in this game but the look of the inhabitants kindof turn me off. Plus, I'm not that big on stealth gameplay. I might get this game when it goes on sale but sadly not a day one buy for me.

Effect

Effect said:
If you order from Impulse/GameStop they are pre-loading now. If you are getting it from there I suggest the "Download and Archive" option first just in case you have to reinstall later. That way you can tell Impulse to restore the archieve to simply reinstall the game. Archiving an installed game from Impulse makes it OS dependent (you have to restore on the OS you originally had installed when you first installed the game). The "Download and Archive" makes it OS independent.
Nevermind. I was told one shouldn't do this but to simply install. Sorry.

RedSwirl

MNC said:

I would say just the engine overall. The effects and art style look great in my opinion, but things like the model detail are honestly not that great. Maybe I just don't like the Crystal engine.

Crazypanda_85 said:
I love the overall art direction of the world in this game but the look of the inhabitants kindof turn me off. Plus, I'm not that big on stealth gameplay. I might get this game when it goes on sale but sadly not a day one buy for me.

Stealth, as it should be, is an option in this game. Can I talk here about what weapons you get on the first mission? Because they totally would've made an all-out assault possible if I chose that.

FireFly

Crazypanda_85 said:
Well, you can play the whole game like a shooter if you want to.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crazypanda_85 said:

You dont need to play it stealth.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, i have noticed that the NPCs are really bland looking. I hope there's a few memorable ones, that's one of the things that makes the difference between a great and good rpg.

Pimpbaa

shagg_187 said:
Hell, this is the game that gave birth to piss filter and mods like ENB to correct the piss filter. Most definitely Deus Ex will have mods like that too.

Codemasters was doing that piss filter shit before that. Grid was the first game I played that had it, but they could have been doing it earlier.

Ashkeloth

Crazypanda_85 said:

Yeah. Like others have stated, you can play this game almost entirely in a non-stealth style if you want to. I plan to just play through it raw shooter style, since, to be honest, stealth gameplay has always bored me, even though I'm not bad at it in the slightest.

Some people may think I'll be missing out on the heart of the game playing it like that, but frankly, I find it boring being ducked behind a crate for 30 seconds waiting for a guy to turn his back so I can snap his neck.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
Got to play a few hours last night, really enjoy the hacking minigame.
NPC's are pretty ugly except for the main ones. But I didn't care because the setting really pulls you in. I gotta agree with what was said earlier, Christian Bale's voice sounded forced and distracting to me in Batman, Adam pulls it off here making it sound more natural badass.
The game feels vaguely familiar then it clicked, it's using the Rainbow Six Vegas engine. For better and for worse. I'm a console guy, so controller felt fine, but I wanted a mouse/kb for better hacking/menu controls. Going PC version next week, no question.
I had a lot of fun, I like the dark setting. I woke up this morning and two things were on my mind: I wanna play some more, and "I didn't ask for this..."

Small voice actor spoiler:
ASHLEY <3

ctrayne

MNC said:
Agreed, this thread is full of head-scratching posts. It's like people absolutely must to find something to nitpick. Can't just be an aesthetic decision, no - we must tell the developers what they actually meant to do!

ThoseDeafMutes said:
A lot of the visual design (not just in terms of colours) was inspired by Renaissance artwork. The black and gold is also intended to symbolize the new golden age for science and technology that is about to collapse into another dark age.
Fact, and thanks for pointing that out.

TeK-DeLorean said:
NPC's are pretty ugly except for the main ones. But I didn't care because the setting really pulls you in.
The game feels vaguely familiar then it clicked, it's using the Rainbow Six Vegas engine. For better and for worse. I'm a console guy, so controller felt fine, but I wanted a mouse/kb for better hacking/menu controls. Going PC version next week, no question.
I had a lot of fun, I like the dark setting. I woke up this morning and two things were on my mind: I wanna play some more, and "I didn't ask for this..."
But you know that it's not, right? So, you mean that it feels a bit like RSV? In what way?

TeK-DeLorean said:
NPC's are pretty ugly except for the main ones. But I didn't care because the setting really pulls you in.

Rainbow 6 uses UE3, Deus Ex is using Tomb Raider Underworld's engine.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I am playing on the PC version... and without breaking NDA, I will say I like it so far.

I don't think I can discuss performance as of yet, but the embargo is up on Monday morning.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
whatevermort said:
But you know that it's not, right? So, you mean that it feels a bit like RSV? In what way?
I've never played Underworld or much of Legend, but I gotta say.. it feels almost exactly like Rainbow Six Vegas.. Enemy AI, the way you go into and leave cover, the way you interact with boxes/barrels etc, the menu system, the map even, feels straight from Rainbow Six Vegas. Just with many coats of paint. This isn't a bad thing imo, the menus are gorgeous, and I was avoiding most combat. Just saying how it felt to me.
Day one purchase for me just because I can't stop thinking about it and we need more games like this.

Amir0x

Banned
Suitable. Just y/n on the performance being above 60 on that rig @ an 1080p res. You can blink once for y or twice for n and I'll know trust me.

Top Bottom