• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

MNC

Even though you're not allowed to speak about it: I take it the performance was increased since the original leak. It stuttered quite alot for me at times.

I'm playing three embargoed games that lift on Monday, Human Revolution included. I'm gonna have a field day on the 22nd! Shit is killing me.

EatChildren said:
You dont need to play it stealth.

Don't need to, but on the hardest difficulty that might be a tall order. Granted I don't have any of the damage reduction augs but even a couple of pistol bullets can take you down to 25 percent health.

snoopeasystreet said:
What's the difference between knocking a dude out and killing him? Is it just a different animation or is there a gameplay implication to the choice?

From what I've noticed, the kill takedowns are noiser than the KO takedowns, more chance of alerting people nearby.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Amir0x said:
Suitable. Just y/n on the performance being above 60 on that rig @ an 1080p res. You can blink once for y or twice for n and I'll know trust me.

I'll have to double check on that.

Going out for a bit, I'll answer questions that I can when I return.

MNC said:
Even though you're not allowed to speak about it: I take it the performance was increased since the original leak. It stuttered quite alot for me at times.
It probably stuttered because you had vsync on in the options. It was broken in the leak and dropped the game to 30fps.

commissar

snoopeasystreet said:
What's the difference between knocking a dude out and killing him? Is it just a different animation or is there a gameplay implication to the choice?
Other NPCs will wake up people who are knocked out :)

snoopeasystreet said:
But if you knock out a dude is he effectively dead from a gameplay standpoint? I hate games where they say "you don't have to kill anyone" but then they just give knocking someone a different set of animations with the same end state.

commissar said:
Other NPCs will wake up people who are knocked out :)

Ah! Answered before I asked. At least it's something.

commissar

Also snoop, depending on whether you kill or knock out enemies on a mission, friendly NPCs back at base will react to you differently.

Erebus

I bought the Augmented edition from GMG after setting up a US account with the help of a fellow GAFer. I was able to redeem the Human Revolution code on Steam without any problem and now it is pre-loading:

dTVqh.jpg

However, I'm now trying to redeem the Deus Ex: GOTY and getting an invalid product code error on Steam. Any ideas?

Wings1

Neo Member
DarkUSS said:
However, I'm now trying to redeem the Deus Ex: GOTY and getting an invalid product code error on Steam. Any ideas?

It's a GMG key that you can only redeem there, not on Steam.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Something strange is going on, I finished pre-loading yesterday but now steam is downloading 750 megabytes for the game! Anyone know what this is?

Derrick01

Banned
Kagari said:
Intel i7 940
9GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 260

I'm running the game on maxed out settings.

This made my day, that's surprisingly lower than what I was expecting it would take to max it. Don't know why since the graphics aren't great but it's good to know anyway.

Erebus

Wings1 said:
It's a GMG key that you can only redeem there, not on Steam.
So do I need to install their own client to download the game? I thought it was supposed to work on Steam as well just like DE: Human Revolution. :/

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ctrayne said:
Agreed, this thread is full of head-scratching posts. It's like people absolutely must to find something to nitpick. Can't just be an aesthetic decision, no - we must tell the developers what they actually meant to do!

Fact, and thanks for pointing that out.
You're posting on a forum where people bitched about digital breath in The Social Network...

Sigh...why do games have to 'unlock' in the middle of the week? :p

RS4-

Playing on PC.

I can't expect anything less than fuckawesome frame rate, image quality, etc and it is glorious.

8GB ram
2GB 6950

I can't compare load times between SSD and normal HDD (installed on latter); I'll probably get around to that when embargo lifts. Also can't compare how different it looks or any game play changes vs the original PC leak since I didn't bother with it.

Baha

DarkUSS said:
So do I need to install their own client to download the game? I thought it was supposed to work on Steam as well just like DE: Human Revolution. :/

No, go to the Deus Ex GOTY page on gmg and add it to your cart. Use the code they gave you and it'll be free.

Zeal

Banned
don't have it yet, but based on videos, is it just me or does this game give you an extremely limited supply of ammo?

foogles

Zeal said:
don't have it yet, but based on videos, is it just me or does this game give you an extremely limited supply of ammo?
Yep. They insist that during playtesting, everyone had more fun when people had to carefully choose what weapons to use and when to just avoid enemies instead of gunning everyone down like a standard FPS.

So can someone who has played a build tell me about deaths and saving in this game?

Is it just cut to black, automatic load checkpoint or last save? Can i save anywhere? Autosaving after loads i hope?

DennisK4 said:
But I really hope that the sales warrants a third game in the series with some substantially better graphics.

There's always a tradeoff. I'd rather dudes on the team be working on making Deus Ex an expansive, open, flexible experience than polishing the graphics on level three.

aegies

snoopeasystreet said:
Ah! Answered before I asked. At least it's something.

Knocking people out is an acceptable alternative during missions that ask/demand that you kill someone. The only people you MUST kill to complete an objective are bosses.

aegies

Gamer @ Heart said:
So can someone who has played a build tell me about deaths and saving in this game?

Is it just cut to black, automatic load checkpoint or last save? Can i save anywhere? Autosaving after loads i hope?

The screen goes red and distorted and you're put to a load selection screen. You can save anywhere (even on consoles), and on 360 at least, there are two staggered autosaves. I believe it's the same on PS3.

Zeliard

aegies said:
Knocking people out is an acceptable alternative during missions that ask/demand that you kill someone. The only people you MUST kill to complete an objective are bosses.

Excellent.

Though shame about the bosses. Most of the negatives I've heard surrounding this game have to do with the boss encounters.

Erebus

Baha said:
No, go to the Deus Ex GOTY page on gmg and add it to your cart. Use the code they gave you and it'll be free.
I did but it says I still need their "Capsule" client to download the game.

EDIT: Never mind.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Heavy said:
To people that have played it: Is the music that's in the epic CG E3 2010 trailer similar to the in-game soundtrack?
According to the soundtrack release, that music is considered the main theme. But i would say yes, other themes in the game sound somewhat similar.

Im only going off the soundtrack though. I have no idea if they decide to play that music on the main menu or opening sequence or whatever.

phillax said:

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better...stronger...faster.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tacitus_ said:
You have a very weird video card to go with the rest of your specs.

Yeah, I need to eventually upgrade it, but I've been able to run everything new I've played so far on max settings.

BigJiantRobut said:
I'm playing three embargoed games that lift on Monday, Human Revolution included. I'm gonna have a field day on the 22nd! Shit is killing me.
You know what is killing me? Seeing you post about this shit. I can barely contain myself until it's unlocked. It's been a while since I've been properly hyped for a release.

Now, stop posting on GAF. Go back to playing your stupid early copies of games I want to be playing. :(

CaLe

The Guardian - Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Review

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/21/deus-ex-human-revolution-review

The range of playing styles this offers is handled well, and alternating between them is simple thanks to an array of augmentation upgrades such as temporary invisibility or super strength, which can be earned or bought and then improved. Customisable weaponry also offers opportunity for personalisation, with lethal and non-lethal variants of the sniper rifle and pistol backed up by an impressive arsenal of sleek, near‑future equipment.

Certainly worthy of the hype, then, with the only quibbles being a frustrating mini-game that too often breaks up the main action and a difficulty curve that, even on easy, can be unforgiving. While it's unlikely that Human Evolution – or perhaps any game – will have the impact of the original Deus Ex, this is a superbly realised title and a sure contender for game of the year.

Top Bottom