• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

kliklik

Banned
No offense to anyone, but I don't really care about major review sites' scores for a game like this. I care more about the impressions of people here in this thread.

EDIT: hey when did I become a member?

Do any of you know anything about unlocking the avatar item for this game? apparently you have to link facebook and an ipad app or something?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
kliklik said:
No offense to anyone, but I don't really care about major review sites' scores for a game like this. I care more about the impressions of people here in this thread.

Most of us don't give a shit - or at least I don't - but it's still fun to guess.

legbone

hell yes! r1 to shoot. that settles it, not changing my preorder. shooting on r2 without the ability to change it would have made me switch to 360. i hate the triggers on the dual shock.

kliklik said:

EDIT: hey when did I become a member?
I'm with you on that. More and more I take the combined impressions of random people to heart than professional reviews. We're not getting paid, we don't have publishers breathing down our neck, we're just giving our honest opinions.

Poker360

For those who are ordering from Amazon, they are now offering a $10 promo credit for the standard edition.

The embargo lifts are 9 AM PST tomorrow.. which is about 21 hours from now

~Kinggi~

Banned
Poker360 said:
For those who are ordering from Amazon, they are now offering a $10 promo credit for the standard edition.

Amazon honors existing preorders right when giving out the credits? Ive had it on preorder when there wasnt 10$

charsace

8 out of 10. Then 7 years from now reviewers will tell you they thought it was the best game of the generation like they do with Deus Ex.

kliklik

Banned
Snuggler said:
Most of us don't give a shit - or at least I don't - but it's still fun to guess.

But then if they end up loving it, you have to like the game less, or if they hate it, you've got to love it more, just to be able to maintain that they're wildly off in their reviews. =P

Heavy said:
I'm with you on that. More and more I take the combined impressions of random people to heart than professional reviews. We're not getting paid, we don't have publishers breathing down our neck, we're just giving our honest opinions.

I don't know if it's bias because of publishers. I guess I just feel that a numerical rating system can't help but put a heavy emphasis on things I don't really care that much about, like polish, presentation, and excellent graphics. There are quite a lot of games that have fresh experiences to offer that end up scoring around 7.5 because they lack polish. But I'd rather play them than the latest mario platformer or cod game.

topramen

I think it will do solid, high 80s meteoritic.

Its weird a bunch of 10/10s and 9/10s came out a week ago, and then quiet.

Makes you wonder if they are sitting on poor scores. Although the vibe from the preview build makes that seem unlikely.

Off topic: how long until I can make a thread? I've been a junior member for a couple of years now, and I've been trying to find out the rules for juniors, however its not in theFAQ.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
EatChildren said:
8/10 average.

yeah I agree, the spectrum will be rather broad, everything from 6/10 to 10/10

topramen said:
Off topic: how long until I can make a thread? I've been a junior member for a couple of years now, and I've been trying to find out the rules for juniors, however its not in theFAQ.

You need a postcount of 300 and been a junior for atleast 60 ( or was it 30 ) days,

Poker360

I've been creeping jeff gerstmann's profile, looks like he is working hard to get his review in tomorrow. Played like all day yesterday and has already started again today

~Kinggi~

Banned
Poker360 said:
I've been creeping jeff gerstmann's profile, looks like he is working hard to get his review in tomorrow. Played like all day yesterday and has already started again today
What is he playing on?

why do reviews matter? Gaming is such a personal experience, much more so than film, music or other forms of entertainment. You play a role in your own enjoyment of the content.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I only read game reviews after I've played games. A score would never persuade me to pick something up. I do, however, trust impressions posted here on GAF for the most part. I'm glad I've gone on GAF recommendations but like I said, no major magazine or website review has ever motivated or discouraged a purchase.

DX:HR is definitely the type of game that certain reviewers will have trouble with.

Derrick01

Banned
topramen said:
I think it will do solid, high 80s meteoritic.

Its weird a bunch of 10/10s and 9/10s came out a week ago, and then quiet.

Makes you wonder if they are sitting on poor scores. Although the vibe from the preview build makes that seem unlikely.

From what I can tell the only reviews out so far are magazine reviews and even then it's only the ones that are nearing their monthly release. The internet embargo ends Monday at noon eastern.

Poker360 said:

Was just going to walk into Best Buy and pick up a copy Tuesday, but the $10 promo is enough to get me to pre-order it.

iavi

Calavera520 said:
why do reviews matter? Gaming is such a personal experience, much more so than film, music or other forms of entertainment. You play a role in your own enjoyment of the content.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I only read game reviews after I've played games. A score would never persuade me to pick something up. I do, however, trust impressions posted here on GAF for the most part. I'm glad I've gone on GAF recommendations but like I said, no major magazine or website review has ever motivated or discouraged a purchase.

DX:HR is definitely the type of game that certain reviewers will have trouble with.

I never use them to make my final decision, but they do help to give a general idea of what you can expect.

No game that's as graphically inconsistent or 'workmanlike' as Deus Ex: HR is going to get a metacritic average above 90 in this day and age. Just the way it goes. If it was running on Cry Engine 3 it would be getting GOTY hype from the mainstream press. I'd guess mid to high 80's when the embargo drops.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Poker360 said:

Only standard edition? Damn. I have the Augmented Edition preordered on Amazon.

syoaran

Sho_Nuff82 said:
No game that's as graphically inconsistent or 'workmanlike' as Deus Ex: HR is going to get a metacritic average above 90 in this day and age. Just the way it goes. If it was running on Cry Engine 3 it would be getting GOTY hype from the mainstream press. I'd guess mid to high 80's when the embargo drops.

Incredibly sad, but true. I hope it gets the ME2-esqe seal of approval though. if the games quality is consistent throughout its a GOTY game for me.

ironcreed

Banned
If a game appeals to me, I check it out. If it is getting panned, I will just lower my expectations and hope to come away satisfied. More often than not, that is usually the case. Put it this way, I would have missed out on many fantastic games if I always just went whichever way the wind blew and allowed critics to make up my mind for me. Same can be said for books, music and movies as well.

MNC

woober said:
I'm at Area 51 in Deus Ex 1. First playthrough. I'M GOING TO FINISH YOU!
Hehe, same. I'm halfway through Paris, just had the catacombs. Hope to finish this in time, but since we have Euro release date I still have a few more extra days.

ASilva

Neo Member
For me reviews are just a way to get a general sense of how the game is. And I usually only pay attention to the reviews made by reviewers "i know". That is, reviewers that I've listened to for a long time in podcasts.

Podcasts are my primary purchasing guide for sure. You get to "know" what each person likes and dislikes and get a more casual discussion of a game made by different people with different opinions. Over time you start to identify with "this" or "that" person and deduct what games you would enjoy based on their opinions. At least that's what has been working for me so far

But to each their own, if someone has been using reviews only and that works for them its all good, or the opinions in forums. What matters is that you can gather as much pertinent information as you need before purchasing a game you haven't really played before

dream

Just grabbed the Augmented Edition on Steam and Deus Ex doesn't seem to be showing up in my gifts list (I already own a copy). Is it supposed to pop up instantly?

edit: ah, they emailed me a separate code for it.

Does anyone know if the exclusive Gamestop preorder mission is worth it? I usually don't preorder and was going to wait until I finish my current game before I pick this up. But if it's a good lengthy mission then I don't want to miss out on it.

masterkajo

I just finished the first Deus Ex and I am loving it. WOW what a great game. Can't wait for Friday (Europe)...

Does someone have Deus Ex: Invisible Wars on steam for Trade or Gifting? Because you only get Deus Ex GOTY with the Augmentet Edition for DE:HR. I don't want to pay €9.99.- for it. And I know its not as good but I need something until next Friday!

ironcreed

Banned
Chinner said:
reviews mean fuck all, but i do partially expect it to get burned for not being a call of doody game/excessively linear.

... and for not being a technical marvel in the graphics department and for having somewhat wooden animations.

IGN- 7.5
Destructoid- 6.0 (courtesy of Jim Sterling)

Just joking, but would not be surprised if I was close.

DaBuddaDa

ironcreed said:
Guarantee you Jim's review will either be ~5.0/10 "Game is terrible" or ~9.5/10 "Wonderful amazing spectacular!" Gotta drive up those site hits!

Reversed

ironcreed said:

Just joking, but would not be surprised if I was close.

I'm seeing him too hyped from his tweets.

And here's hoping HR plays the Deus Ex title screen theme in a moment where it should fit.

ironcreed

Banned
Reversed said:
I'm seeing him too hyped from his tweets.

And here's hoping HR plays the Deus Ex title screen theme in a moment where it should fit.

That's all well and good, I guess. I hope he gives it a fair review instead of going to the extreme in either direction like he does about 95% of the time.

KorrZ

I'm dying to play this game, this has been the longest weekend ever. Of course this would be the weekend that I've got pretty much nothing to. I started playing Deus Ex yesterday, just got out of Paris...maybe I'll be able to finish it before HR comes out.

DaBuddaDa said:
Guarantee you Jim's review will either be ~5.0/10 "Game is terrible" or ~9.5/10 "Wonderful amazing spectacular!" Gotta drive up those site hits!

Haha, sadly this is probably 100% truth. If everyone else gives it good scores, 5.0. If it gets lower scores elsewhere, 9.5.

DaBuddaDa

If I read one review that says something like: "Sometimes it's hard to determine where to go next. Some sort of marker or indicator pointing you in the right direction would be welcome" I will knock over the nearest magazine rack in a fit of rage.

ironcreed

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
If I read one review that says something like: "Sometimes it's hard to determine where to go next. Some sort of marker or indicator pointing you in the right direction would be welcome" I will knock over the nearest magazine rack in a fit of rage.

I'll just laugh and keep on enjoying the game.

Top Bottom