• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Hari Seldon

Good time to release a AAA game, the summer has been one long drought for me. Can't wait to fire this up. The pre-release didn't run that great for me, but I have a crossfire setup, so hopefully Crossfire wasn't supported and it will be in the release.

aegies said:
A) funny, coming from a dude on a message board, and

B) the game spends more than a day's worth of hours teaching you to think outside of the box, and then puts you through a tube in a hamster cage for the boss fights. What the fuck were they thinking? Other than, oh shit, we ran out of time.

Sorry if a 9 and an editors choice doesn't make your purchasing dick hard enough.
Good grief.

Syriel

abunai said:
review list in op somewhat updated

so glad this is reviewing well, hope it translates into tons of sales

You should post the reviews with clickable links rather than using the code tag.

BadTaste

aegies said:

B) the game spends more than a day's worth of hours teaching you to think outside of the box, and then puts you through a tube in a hamster cage for the boss fights. What the fuck were they thinking? Other than, oh shit, we ran out of time.

Sorry if a 9 and an editors choice doesn't make your purchasing dick hard enough.

P.S. The PC review build was 6 weeks old. It had two pages of things wrong with it. I didn't consider it indicative, so we didn't review it.

lol.

aegies said:

P.S. The PC review build was 6 weeks old. It had two pages of things wrong with it. I didn't consider it indicative, so we didn't review it.
Yeah, it's not that you sound like a pretentious idiot or anything. I must be a blind fanboy!

This attitude explains everything wrong with IGN.

Paches

dxh10hjn3.jpg

Intrigue +1

Deadbeat

Banned
aegies said:

KlwL4.jpg

As someone who's never played the first game, I'm a little confused as to what this game is like. I kinda reads like it is similar to Mass Effect or Fallout 3. Is this an RPG or more of a sandbox game?

edit - and yes I read the OP.

So, now that we've established that aegies is a buffoon, what play styles will people be adopting for their first go round? It's always struck me as weird that so many people want to play with no kills at all - I can understand a stealthy attitude, and will be adopting it myself, but to take it to the extreme on the first go round seems limiting.

aegies said:
A) funny, coming from a dude on a message board
If message boards are silly enough to deserve this kind of attitude then why are you running to one to check out reactions to your review less than an hour after you posted it?

aegies

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, it's not that you sound like a pretentious idiot or anything. I must be a blind fanboy!

This attitude explains everything wrong with IGN.

Are you unfamiliar with the definition of pretentious? I'm sorry if a big vocabulary is threatening to you.

Also, always fun to see how personal insults are allowed on GAF if the person being insulted is paid for their opinions.

This game was meant to be played on pc Arthur. They gave you the list of bugs so that you could that into account in your review playthrough. The interface for the pc version is different from that of consoles and we need some perspective in how good of a job the developers did tailoring an interface specifically for pc.

Don't take that the wrong way. I listen to RebelFM, but sometimes you downplay the pc version of games a little too much for my liking.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
@DennisK4
I get a weird video pop-up thing from that site, that somehow caused me to download a plug-in. Seems fishy to me.
Are those vids or just screen shots?

aegies said:
Are you unfamiliar with the definition of pretentious? I'm sorry if a big vocabulary is threatening to you.
Yes, your vast vocabulary in a video game review is completely threatening to me. I don't know how I'll ever finish my English degree now. You've made my question everything.

Seriously, you're just proving my point.

Dennis

Banned
aegies said:
Also, always fun to see how personal insults are allowed on GAF if the person being insulted is paid for their opinions.
Don't backseat mod and don't try to get Foliorum Viridum banned.

Thanks in advance.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
PopcornMegaphone said:
As someone who's never played the first game, I'm a little confused as to what this game is like. I kinda reads like it is similar to Mass Effect or Fallout 3. Is this an RPG or more of a sandbox game?

It's Deus Ex, an RPG. You play it the way you want, having a totally different experience each time, where your choice really matters in a world that's open for you to explore and interact.

JohngPR

aegies said:

Sorry to break this to you, but you are also a dude on a message board, was that some kind of a diss?

I don't blame you for not reviewing it. I'm sure you would hope that most of the bugs you ran into would be fixed in the 6 weeks they had to work on them, but you'd be misleading readers if you posted it and didn't bring them up due to assumptions.

Still for someone who writes professionally on the internet for a living, you sure do have an unprofessional attitude. Geez.

x-Lundz-x

After these reviews if this game does not sell well then we have no hope left for our hobby.

I leave work tomorrow, have the rest of the week off for vacation.

CAN NOT WAIT!

Chinner

Banned
some gaffers are being hypocritical here when it comes the IGN PC thing. yeah i'm not a fan of IGN either, but you guys are digging so hard to find something to hate. no doubt if this was another site you'd be praising this choice.

aegies

The_Darkest_Red said:
If message boards are silly enough to deserve this kind of attitude then why are you running to one to check out reactions to your review less than an hour after you posted it?

Because I'm a masochist. And if there are questions I can answer reasonably, then I'd like to. If someone asks "which console performs better," I can answer "neither." If someone asks if you can play non-lethally for the entire game, I can answer "kind of." If there's a valid question about my opinion, I'll respond if I can, just like I will in our own comments. I would prefer to be as open as I can about my reviews and the process at the site I work for, because I want there to be integrity in how we go about it.

But how should I respond to people who act like assholes because I either say something about something they haven't played to the degree I have that makes them uncomfortable, or because I have the audacity to use a word like "holistically?"

ZombieFred said:
It's Deus Ex, an RPG. You play it the way you want, having a totally different experience each time, where your choice really matters in a world that's open for you to explore and interact.

Thank you. I just wanted to be sure.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Neuromancer fans, rejoice. This is from the 1UP review:

... its vision of 2027 is the most exquisite, spot-on video game distillation of William Gibson since the 16-bit Shadowruns. If you told me Jensen's name was Case and he was exploring Neo-Kobe rather than Heng Sha, I'd say, "Oh man, this is the Neuromancer game I've always dreamed of."

Tears of joy. I cannot wait to immerse myself in this world.

BadTaste

aegies said:

th_MichaelJacksonPopcorn.gif

Lucius86

Banned
aegies said:

Adjective: Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

I think he nailed it right tbh.

Anyway, still no one got any shots/vids on tessellation in the final build??

DennisK4 said:
The pics I posted show how much the graphics are improved with downsampling.

SGSSAA, here I come.
How much of an FPS hit is that?

Eg, could I manage it on my 6950? Never done it before, but this game doesn't seem like it will be too taxing on my rig.

blackflag

The_Darkest_Red said:

Yes, I think this deserves an answer. Edit: Done

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
you guys are crossing the line with personal insults. It's not backseat modding, it's just my opinion. Just unpleasant to read.

UberTag

This is one of those instances where my skepticism about a game's reception proved unfounded. So happy to have this pre-order on the way. This will be the best release week of the year when you also consider Devil Survivor Overclocked, Xenoblade imports hitting North America and Street Fighter III HD.

aegies said:
Because I'm a masochist. And if there are questions I can answer reasonably, then I'd like to. If someone asks "which console performs better," I can answer "neither." If someone asks if you can play non-lethally for the entire game, I can answer "kind of." If there's a valid question about my opinion, I'll respond if I can, just like I will in our own comments. I would prefer to be as open as I can about my reviews and the process at the site I work for, because I want there to be integrity in how we go about it.

But how should I respond to people who act like assholes because I either say something about something they haven't played to the degree I have that makes them uncomfortable, or because I have the audacity to use a word like "holistically?"
You shouldn't, because as a reviewer for a site as popular as IGN you should be mature enough to ignore that type of thing. If you feel like you really need to respond then you should try to do it in a less hostile and immature manner. It just comes off as kind of unprofessional.

Just my opinion.

DaBuddaDa

The entire gaming industry is obsessed with GAF but too afraid to admit it, and would rather just call it "silly" or demean it in some way when discussing it, while simultaneously using it for half of their news stories (and rarely giving any credit) and checking it daily.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yes, your vast vocabulary in a video game review is completely threatening to me. I don't know how I'll ever finish my English degree now. You've made my question everything.

Seriously, you're just proving my point.

RX8ju.png

aegies said:
Because I'm a masochist. And if there are questions I can answer reasonably, then I'd like to. If someone asks "which console performs better," I can answer "neither."

How frequent are frame-rate dips on the 360?

aegies said:

I'm going to fight fire with fire here and be equally pretentious: frankly, I'm pretty fucking smart. I'm going to hazard a guess and say smarter than you :) now, I don't have a CLUE what the sentence from your review, which was quoted here, actually means. Explain...please!

Okay about the boss fights, is it possible to just painlessly blow them up with the rocket launcher like we could in Deus Ex or are they long and drawn out?

Top Bottom