• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Wallach

blahblah...blah said:
I'm going to fight fire with fire here and be equally pretentious: frankly, I'm pretty fucking smart. I'm going to hazard a guess and say smarter than you :) now, I don't have a CLUE what the sentence from your review, which was quoted here, actually means. Explain...please!

I'd guess he's asking himself whether it is fair to dock the whole game because the ending doesn't pay off as much as the build up would indicate. Probably because the rest of the game is really good.

EagleEyes

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, it's not that you sound like a pretentious idiot or anything. I must be a blind fanboy!

This attitude explains everything wrong with IGN.
And this attitude explains everything with forums. Grow up.

Wallach said:
I'd guess he's asking himself whether it is fair to dock the whole game because the ending doesn't pay off as much as the build up would indicate. Probably because the rest of the game is really good.

Seems reasonable. It's worth saying that I haven't read the whole review, so I'm taking that sentence completely out of context. And before anyone asks, I know what each word means ;)

So does this game have multiple endings? I've been reading these reviews and I'm not seeing any mention of it....could of sworn there were multiple endings in this game.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently it does have multiple endings, I guess just a lot of reviewers forgot to mention that.

aegies

Red Blaster said:
Okay about the boss fights, is it possible to just painlessly blow them up with the rocket launcher like we could in Deus Ex or are they long and drawn out?

It depends on the boss. But I used a rocket launcher on all of them, along with other strategies. You can't just stand there. You'll get aced.

PaulLFC

For people who tried the leak, were there AI issues?

Just read NowGamer's 360 review, and they say the AI is pretty bad. Score was 7.5 - reading it there were a lot of positives, let down by the AI.

http://www.nowgamer.com/xbox-360/xbox360-reviews/1025461/deus_ex_human_revolution.html

PS3 review, 7.1 - http://www.nowgamer.com/ps3/ps3-reviews/1025531/deus_ex_human_revolution.html

Interestingly, another member of their staff on Twitter's said that based on what he's played, he'd disagree with the above opinions and score the game higher, because he loves it.

Definitely a mixed bag there, and until I get to play it (dammit Friday, why must you be so far away :() I won't be able to tell how much of an impact the criticisms have.

DaBuddaDa

Tguy said:
So does this game have multiple endings? I've been reading these reviews and I'm not seeing any mention of it....could of sworn there were multiple endings in this game.
One of the achievements is "see all of the different endings." I don't know how many there are, but I would guess three or more.

JohngPR

aegies said:
But how should I respond to people who act like assholes because I either say something about something they haven't played to the degree I have that makes them uncomfortable, or because I have the audacity to use a word like "holistically?"

By not giving them the satisfaction of letting them know they got to you? It's bully 101 and you're falling for it.

Foliorum Viridum said:
How much of an FPS hit is that?

Eg, could I manage it on my 6950? Never done it before, but this game doesn't seem like it will be too taxing on my rig.

I also have a 6950 but unless im wrong i think SGSSAA is only supported by nVidia's inpector software.

Radeon pro has some facilities for forcing super sampling and other AA modes: http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

DaBuddaDa said:
One of the achievements is "see all of the different endings." I don't know how many there are, but I would guess three or more.
yeah, thanks. Odd that most of the reviews I've read didn't mention that, but I just wanted to make sure.

Foliorum Viridum said:
How much of an FPS hit is that?

Eg, could I manage it on my 6950? Never done it before, but this game doesn't seem like it will be too taxing on my rig.

Also curious about this (GTX 560 ti)

Cyrillus

Well, I broke down and pre-ordered the game last week. Thing is, I've never played the first one. Would it be worth it to pick up the first one on Steam for $10 and play through that first? About how long is a play-through?

mrpeabody

Technosteve said:
Is weapon modding in the game?

The weapon system is likewise refreshing. You have limited slots in your inventory for weapons, items, and ammunition, and the only way to upgrade weapons is to install a series of kits that give you bigger clips, silencers, and laser sights. This makes juggling inventory space interesting: if you need to drop your assault rifle to make room for something else and then you move to the next area, that gun you've upgraded is gone. I loaded my handgun with upgrades and turned it into a silenced, laser-sighted killing machine. I kept it with me throughout the entire game, and it began to feel like my personal sidearm instead of a generic weapon or throwaway upgrade. You'll also find or recover everything from stun guns to sniper rifles, along with some increasingly exotic weapons.

Ars review.

zephervack said:
I also have a 6950 but unless im wrong i think SGSSAA is only supported by nVidia's inpector software.

Radeon pro might has some facilities for forcing super sampling and other AA modes: http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/
So if I put AA mode on to Supersample that has the same result?

I only use RadeonPro to force stuff that games don't have in menus etc so this is new ground for me.

BadTaste

Cyrillus said:
Well, I broke down and pre-ordered the game last week. Thing is, I've never played the first one. Would it be worth it to pick up the first one on Steam for $10 and play through that first? About how long is a play-through?

20-30 hours for you depending your playstyle, I clocked in 25 hours playing sneaky/no kills.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Bungieware said:
Also curious about this (GTX 560 ti)

I have overclocked 560 Tis, 1080p using 2 to 4x sgssaa usually bumps by overall gpu usage by 25%, i.e 25-50, 50-75 etc. So it is rather taxing.

Wallach

blahblah...blah said:
Seems reasonable. It's worth saying that I haven't read the whole review, so I'm taking that sentence completely out of context. And before anyone asks, I know what each word means ;)

I haven't either, honestly. Seemed like a fairly straightforward quote though.

Not speaking to the guy I'm quoting specifically here, but you guys need to quit being salt monsters. Today is a good day.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ctrayne said:
Amazon still showing my PC Augmented as "Not Shipped Yet". :(
Which is typical for Amazon, I've found. That being said, when you view the page, it claims that the PC version of the Augmented edition doesn't exist (though that is definitely what I have pre-ordered).

Curufinwe

Has any site done PC performance benchmarks? I only have a Windows XP computer with 2 GB of RAM, an E6420 @ 2.13 GHZ and a 768 MB GTX 460.

I don't mind getting it on the consoles if the frame rate is solid.

"It didn't have so much as disdainful remark when I used Jensen's super strength to block all the doorways with vending machines, thereby surviving a waiting-for-the-elevator standoff without firing a single bullet."

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have been pessimistic about this project for so long. From the time it was announced, I was convinced it would be Invisible War 2. The Neo-Renaissance art, the first look at Adam's design, the stuff about kill moves and third person stealth, it all sounded like a consolized disaster. Watching so many other Western developers flub their RPGs with superficial choices and attempts at replicating the combat of other genres just dug the hole deeper.

The idea that they actually got it right, that they actually nailed it, is just incredible.

Peterthumpa

Curufinwe said:
Has any site done PC performance benchmarks? I only have a Windows XP computer with 2 GB of RAM, an E6420 @ 2.13 GHZ and a 768 MB GTX 460.

I don't mind getting it on the consoles if the frame rate is solid.
It's going to run fine in your rig. You'll have better graphics, keyboard/mouse support and will pay less for the same game. No brainer.

Horns

Skimming reviews now, but not seeing much comparing 360 and PS3 versions.

I assume they're really close if it hasn't been mentioned much yet.

Sophuis

Neo Member
thelatestmodel said:
Neuromancer fans, rejoice. This is from the 1UP review:

Tears of joy. I cannot wait to immerse myself in this world.
Oh hell yes. I was all over this to begin with, but this is high praise indeed.
Though Jensen strikes me more like a Molly Millions, less like the drugged out hacker Case is.

Details. Bring on the cyberpunk goodness. I will marathon this sumbitch, after chucking out the leak, locking down on full spoiler alert and drowning my impatience with copious amounts of mainstream television entertainment. Wake me up when it's August 26th and I'll party like it's 2027.

i think the "don't kill anyone except bosses" approach is really cool in that it's the same way *some* movies/stories work in that the main character truly is a good guy trying to solve a problem or get to the bottom of something, and won't actually kill anyone unless he's directly confronted- ie: a boss encounter. it can also speak to the character's.... character..... at the end of the game when thinking about how many "innocent" people were killed along the way. (assuming that all henchmen and gang members etc. knoweth not what they do)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Foliorum Viridum said:
So if I put AA mode on to Supersample that has the same result?

I only use RadeonPro to force stuff that games don't have in menus etc so this is new ground for me.

Where is the supersample AA mode in Radeon Pro?

Horns

ctrayne said:
Amazon still showing my PC Augmented as "Not Shipped Yet". :(

I usually have the same with Amazon, but it always comes on the release date.

My problem, which isn't Amazon's fault, is both Fed Ex and UPS do not deliver until after 5pm in my area. I took the day off for Infamous 2, but it came at 7pm that night. It's just something about my location.

Corky said:
I have overclocked 560 Tis, 1080p using 2 to 4x sgssaa usually bumps by overall gpu usage by 25%, i.e 25-50, 50-75 etc. So it is rather taxing.

I just have the one overclocked 560 ti, but then I'm only at 1680 x 1050

I'm nervous because I pre-ordered and paid in full for the augmented edition for PC at gamestop.. and it's not listed on their site for purchase except as a digital download.. and I'm pretty sure I didn't pre-order a digital download.

SLV

Daaaamn, tried hotspot shield, although the prices were in Dollars instead of Euros, the unlock time was the europe one .... :(

JohngPR

I'm torn. I was going to get the Augmented Edition at Best Buy for PC, but now that $20 credit for Amazon is tempting me to put in a quick pre-order.

Does anyone know if Best Buy is supposed to be getting Augmented Editions anyway?

Top Bottom