• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Ken said:
After seeing the neck snap melee kill animation a few times where Jensen uses his spinning robotic arm to, well, spin and snap a guy's head, I keep thinking his hand would make a great cake mixer.

b61d1d5a.jpg

atcomic392.jpg

bob page

Well I'm glad the majority of complaints I'm seeing are with the graphics, because I really don't care about that considering it's awesome art design (and the fact that the original wasn't very pretty either).

Truant

DrBo42 said:
Last panel should have the sunglasses deployed. What a missed opportunity.

Yup, comic sucks because of this.

Also, I love the fact that Jensen sort of has become this iconic character already, even though it's mostly because of the jokes and the deal-with-it gifs. Still, pretty cool.

Haha oh wow...

Going through and messing around the police station, hacking all the computers/rooms and knocking out policemen, only to later find all the codes stashed in a sewer wall with the wall breaking ability made me laugh harder than I have in a long time playing a video game.

duckroll

The Stealth Fox said:
Enjoying this a ton. Only thing right now is the loading times, and the fact that not every object is interactable. I'm pretty sure that was true for DX1 though, although it feels like there was more interactable stuff. But these are nitpicks, I haven't even gotten to the first hub yet! I'm sure you forget about not being able to smash coffee cups since all the real fun stuff is interactable anyways.

So I guess the real issue here is the loading times. How were the loading times in the leak?

Yeah. the loading time is bad, especially when you die and have to load the last save. Considering the game quick saves, I'm surprised there isn't a fast continue option when you die. Why would the game load everything out of memory and load it in again? :/

As for not being able to interact with everything, I prefer this over the Fallout 3/NV design of having tons and tons of interactive objects but they're mostly useless. At least here, if I can interact with it, I know it can be used for something.

Eusis

Solo said:
I am assuming/hoping that people complaining about loading are console gamers?
It's not really great on PC. Probably better, though I haven't timed it, and there's always the possibility of SSD anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Solo said:
I am assuming/hoping that people complaining about loading are console gamers?
Nope. The preview build was terrible on the PC in this regard and it sounds like the problem still exists in the final game. :\ Even on an SSD, the load times are quite long.

I tested the preview on my SSD and it loaded no faster than on a regular HDD. In fact, the game doesn't really access the drive that much during loading so it's clearly doing something else unrelated to transferring data from disk.

Teknoman

So is SSAO really not worth it? DX10 here and im getting what looks like 60 fps most of the time, but i'll definitely turn off Ambient Occlusion (usually do it in most games these days) if i'll be able to crank up the AF as a trade off.

Also lol
Final Fantasy XXVII
poster.

foogles

Eusis said:
It's not really great on PC. Probably better, though I haven't timed it, and there's always the possibility of SSD anyway.
Only very slightly. Save, die, reload, wait 24 seconds instead of 25. It's not a big deal, but those with particular playstyles are going to spend quite a while staring at loading screens - especially on the highest difficulty.

Solo

Damn, that sucks about the loading :( Any indication as to why? The Witcher 2 has cutting edge tech and it loads in no time.

Is it the size of the environments or something?

fushi

So I've been told pirates are already playing the game while myself, a legal customer from the EU, is stuck sucking his thumb.

/moaning

:(

Edit: Oh, apparently it's a fake. Ah well. Some respite.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Solo said:
Damn, that sucks about the loading :( Any indication as to why? The Witcher 2 has cutting edge tech and it loads in no time.

It's probably a limitation of the engine, seeing as it's based on that of Tomb Raider: Underworld. That doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't have incorporated a data streaming system (Eric Wolpaw coyly hinted that Valve are working at just that for Source and its data loading system is archaic as hell), but it probably would have required a lot of work and, all things considered, was low on the list of things to do.

-Mikey-

jediyoshi said:
Between this and going back through Vampire a while ago, it makes me sad at how boring it is to watch dialogue scenes in Mass Effect. A little variation in idle animations goes a long way.
I was thinking this while going through some of the dialogue trees. These have more variety and seem to have an impact on the story and gameplay way more than EA's current rpgs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:

Seems to be an engine problem. There's really no reason the data shouldn't load quickly.

Its definitely a rough game on a technical front, almost to a hilarious Deus Ex accuracy.

Wallach

Foliorum Viridum said:
Slow loading even on an SSD?

It isn't just data fetching that goes on during a game load; given people say SSD difference is minor, it is more likely that processor work is responsible for long load times. What they are actually doing during that time causing it I'm not sure.

Derrick01

Banned
Is there any chance of a patch fixing or at least reducing the problem? I'm not sure how that works exactly. Seems like they could do something to reduce loading.

I didn't get to play much but I walked around the intro bit on PC. The loading took less than a minute and the game looked amazing. In game looks way better than the cut scenes which is odd because usually it is the other way around. I won't be able to play more until later today.

Zafir

BadTaste105 said:
Wow, ShopTo already shipped my order of HR this morning, I thought it wasn't out until Friday? Best UK retailer period.
Likewise. Infact the text saying it had shipped woke me up....

Herla

Ken said:
After seeing the neck snap melee kill animation a few times where Jensen uses his spinning robotic arm to, well, spin and snap a guy's head, I keep thinking his hand would make a great cake mixer.

b61d1d5a.jpg

"I'll never stop cooking."

Wallach

Derrick01 said:
Is there any chance of a patch fixing or at least reducing the problem? I'm not sure how that works exactly. Seems like they could do something to reduce loading.

Probably so. It's a little hard to say without knowing what they're doing during their loads that is taking so long. I would still expect some improvement unless there's a really good reason they don't want to touch it.

Arrrgggg, my fps are all over the place! From 75 all down into the 10s.

I'm only gaming at 1440x900, which I was hoping could get me rock solid frame rate:

My rig as follows:

Intel DC2D E6750 @ 3.3 GHz
GTX 560 Ti OC
4GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

All the settings are as high as they can go. Are maxed settings even possible with the setup above?

Teknoman

Lasthope106 said:
Arrrgggg, my fps are all over the place! From 75 all down into the 10s.

I'm only gaming at 1440x900, which I was hoping could get me rock solid frame rate:

My rig as follows:

Intel DC2D E6750 @ 3.3 GHz
GTX 560 Ti OC
4GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

All the settings are as high as they can go. Are maxed settings even possible with the setup above?

Turn off Vsync and triple buffering, then test the fps.

Specs:

Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 ghz
Radeon 4870 1GB
4 GB ram

Everything set to highest aside from AF (set that to 8x since I cant tell the difference after that) and im getting 50-60, hitting 40 for a split second.

duckroll

Wallach said:
Probably so. It's a little hard to say without knowing what they're doing during their loads that is taking so long. I would still expect some improvement unless there's a really good reason they don't want to touch it.

Well, regardless of what they're doing with the initial load, I feel the game would be improved a lot by not reloading the entire level again when you die and have to load the previous save. Especially for those playing on hard.

MasterShotgun said:
Onlive may not be the most optimal way to play games, but it's better than not playing this at all. There a deal where if you pre-order Arkham City, you can get one free game. So I basically got Deus Ex:HR and Arkham City together for $50. Not too bad considering the downsides.

Slightly Off-topic: If you pay $10 to subscribe to the Playpack for the month, you get 30% off everything. I mean everything including pre-orders. You could have saved even more money. The only thing you don't get a discount on is the PlayPack service.

I got the Augmented Edition on there and got Deus Ex 1 for free along with soundtrack and other goodies. I also choose to get the free Microconsole instead of the free game.

Top Bottom