• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

So apparently they are having "production problems" with the 360 Augmented Edition (in Canada at least), the guy at EB said I could pick up the regular one and then return it once the Augmented comes in. He also said anyone that preordered after August 6th won't be getting it at all.

:/

Veelk

Banned
How long does it take to play through the first Deus ex? I never played and was wondering if I should go back and play it first or just jump into Human Revolution.

The only justifiable reason to use Bink is to hide loadings behind them because of its small footprint, but this game does not do that, the loadings are terrible even on a SSD.

(._.)

Banned
dark10x said:
Find me a game using movies compressed with Bink that actually look great and I might reconsider. I realize it's a very small drain on resources, which is why it is likely used, but the results are never good.
I'm not looking through the thousands of games that use it. Many devs use it that you may not know they do. It is also pretty easy to work with from my little experience with it.

Tenks

Generic said:
How long does it take to play through the first Deus ex? I never played and was wondering if I should go back and play it first or just jump into Human Revolution.

As much as I loved the original game it hasn't aged very well at all. I'd say you should expect around 20-25hr to do a complete play.

Tenks said:
As much as I loved the original game it hasn't aged very well at all. I'd say you should expect around 20-25hr to do a complete play.
As a counter to this, although it hasn't aged gracefully in some aspects, as a whole experience it's aged wonderfully and is pretty much timeless. I played it for the first time last year.

I doubt it matters which you play first, but you MUST play it.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Kind of upset that the PC version's SSAO is busted. Barely does anything and eats performance.

The PS3 version has it right.

944088_20110819_screen010.jpg

Durante

AwesomeSauce said:
The PS3 version has it right.
That actually seems overdone and unrealistic to me.

Try to stand in front of a wall in a diffuse light situation and have someone take a picture.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Sell me on this game. Only know OF the games and their accolades but never played them. The gameplay videos I've seen didn't impress as far as choice/consequence goes. Maybe I'm missing the bigger picture but I haven't seen anything not seen in other games. I've watched people play Crysis 2 with cloak or go in guns ablazing.... soo....

Also, it has what I dub "pc-itus". I'm seeing flat corridors and walls with flat desks and limp, ragdoll bodies and objects being dragged or carried by invisible hands.

I wanted this game based on premise alone. Footage ain't helping. I'm sure I'm seeing early portions but go ahead and spoil something that would make me pick this up. To that person that locked the person in their apartment, what happens next? Go home and she's freaking out. Used a phone to call help and police arrived? She hides and attacks or escapes when you aren't looking? Or nothing that dynamic?

I don't think doubters deserve to get the experience early. I've paid 60$ for a day one buy and don't want to sell you the goodness of the game, but simply discuss it with others who are playing it. You should pick it up next year, when its cheaper. OK?

The Stealth Fox

Tenks said:
I'd say it is longer than ME2. I never felt "Wow this is taking a while" while playing ME2 but I felt that the very first time I died in this game.
I certainly felt that way for some of the loading in the main quests. The Normandy loading was just fine though.

duckroll

(._.) said:
I'm not looking through the thousands of games that use it. Many devs use it that you may not know they do. It is also pretty easy to work with from my little experience with it.

So you're admitting that he's right? Because pretty much every single game I've played that uses Bink for HD movie files makes it really obvious. Maybe it doesn't bother you, or you don't notice it. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck ass.

Zeliard

Tenks said:

The first one still plays beautifully today and is much more enjoyable than a lot of modern games. Just stick a texture pack on there if you want (that New Vision works nicely) and remember that guns operate based on stats and you're good to go.

Generic said:

20 hours is the average.

I tried to do a replay this past weekend - even installed the New Vision mod. I couldn't do it though; I find going back to 2000-era games a lot harder than going back to 1990-era games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just realized that how Jensen became augmented is basically the backstory of Robocop, right down to being in Detroit. My copy should be arriving soon. Cannot wait.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I absolutely love how rich the sidequests are. Though it was in the preview code, the quest involving
the corrupt cop
is exactly how side quests should be done. Multiple objectives that require different skills at different locations around the map, optional side objectives that provide additional reward and challenge as well as extra insight into the quest's story, and multiple confrontations that can play out in different ways. Best of all, the quest is written so that characters recognise your decisions, knowing what you've found, who you've killed, and where you failed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
(._.) said:
Yes, it's easy to use, but the results are always poor. When I run across any game with poor video sequences I tend to look into the credits to determine if they are using a 3rd party tool and, in 90% of the cases, that tool is Bink.

Van Buren

Jtrizzy said:
Wonder if there will be 3D Vision support for this game.
Looks like 3D is restricted to ATI cards. I'm hoping it's just an issue with Nvidia's drivers and not an instance of ATI moneyhatting exclusive 3d support, since it sets a bad precedent for future 3d support in games. For all the faults of Nvidia's 3d implementation, a 3d vision game could still be enjoyed by ATI users in 3d.

Durante said:
I agree completely. "Here, lots of AA options, all of which suck compared to plain MSAA".
I suspected as much though, since forcing custom AA in DX 11 titles has been mostly futile thus far.

legbone

just picked up my ps3 augmented edition. packaging is glorious. only one and a half hours to go at work! come on time. anyway, i did not get the preorder bonus that comes with the sniper rifle. i really would like to have the sniper rifle, how long until i can get it in game? anyone know?

Durante

Van Buren said:
I suspected as much though, since forcing custom AA in DX 11 titles has been mostly futile thus far.
I actually hoped that they'd just implemented MSAA in their engine. Since they are already on DX11 nothing would stop them from. (Games with a DX9 renderer like Witcher 2 at least have that excuse)

spiderman123 said:
HOLY SHIT AT ATHAT BEGINNING OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG THE MUSIC OMG OMG OMG
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG chill the fuck out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's up with the availability of the PC Augmented Edition? Even local stores don't seem to have it available (while the regular PC version is everywhere).

Technosteve said:
disable triple buffer enable vsync that worked for me.
It seems SSAO is causing a lot of mouse lag. Turning it off helps a bunch.

But what the hell, I want SSAO on. It's not a loss of FPS, it's very much mouse lag. What's going on.

Running a i5 750, 460GTX

Wallach

Foxtastical said:
It seems SSAO is causing a lot of mouse lag. Turning it off helps a bunch.

But what the hell, I want SSAO on. It's not a loss of FPS, it's very much mouse lag. What's going on.

Running a i5 750, 460GTX

Try turning it on and turning off triple buffering.

GrizzNKev

Banned
TheLegendOfMart said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG chill the fuck out.

Now I remember why you were on my ignore list. Let people have their hype, it's part of enjoying a new game. Don't pretend you've never been excited before.

AEREC

bonesmccoy said:
20 hours is the average.

I tried to do a replay this past weekend - even installed the New Vision mod. I couldn't do it though; I find going back to 2000-era games a lot harder than going back to 1990-era games.

Old 3D is always alot uglier than old 2D...but still I managed to make it through DX1 last week and wasnt too bothered by the visuals.

Zeliard

Still so surprised to see that people can't play the original Deus Ex. What a shame. I honestly feel it's timeless. The mechanical issues with Deus Ex existed and were notable even when it was released, and overall I don't see how it's much less playable than something like Bloodlines.

GrizzNKev said:
Now I remember why you were on my ignore list. Let people have their hype, it's part of enjoying a new game. Don't pretend you've never been excited before.

He's just mad cause Europeans don't have the game yet :p

classicdms

Neo Member
Anyone else have to turn off D3D to get the game to run?

I miss my lil FPS readout for testing settings but it won't run when I have it on, even if I turn off triple buffering and vsync within the game settings.

I get the feeling that Vsync is the main culprit here along with triple buffering (I just force it through D3DOverrider). Surprised some of you guys are having framerate issues with the components that you guys have.

GrizzNKev said:
You can be excited about a game and not just post OMGOMOGMOGMOGMOGM.

Solo

Zeliard said:
Still so surprised to see that people can't play the original Deus Ex. What a shame. I honestly feel it's timeless.

And its still the best game ever. To willfully pass it up because its old is shameful.

AEREC said:
Old 3D is always alot uglier than old 2D...but still I managed to make it through DX1 last week and wasnt too bothered by the visuals.

Oh, it wasn't the visuals. Those I can enjoy/chuckle about. It was the game design. The plenitude of explosive metal crates, for example.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So what's going on, people saying triple buffering, ssao, etc adds severe mouse lag?

Top Bottom