• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

cackhyena

Angst said:
It's awesome that you can change from KB/M on the fly by just touching mouse or controller. I have never seen that in any game before.
Yep. They did a lot right with this game. if only it ran smoother for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
duckroll said:
K+M. For the record, I played Fallout NV and Alpha Protocol on the PC with a 360 controller. But I find for Deus Ex HR, the K+M setup is really good, and feels much more natural than using a controller. Props to Eidos for a great control setup.
I think Nixxes gets the credit for KBM controls actually.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
K.Jack said:
I had stuttering, but that was because i had both D3D and the in-game v-sync running.

So what was your course of action? Which one did you disable?

KaiserBecks

Does anyone know if the Collector's Edition DLC will be activated with a separate code? I have ordered the CE, but I assume that it won't arrive in time (game will be unlocked this friday in Europe). I'm planning on pre-ordering the game on Steam and selling the code that comes with the Collector's Edition. But it would obviously suck if all the digital content came with one single code.

JerkShep

cackhyena said:
AMD? I downloaded the latest Catylist whatever, but I don't know how much that helped. I don't know if there is some specific driver I'm missing for my 4870 or what that could be helping me out more. According to the low end specs for how this game should run, with everything besides shadows and lower than max resolution turned off, it should be smoother for me.

Yep I had 11.5 or 11.6 lol. I don't say the stutter is gone but it's way better than before. As I said earlier, with the old drivers the game seemed to stutter even with 800x600 resolution. Now it's far from perfect but at least playable and I can use max setting basically (not SAO), even Vsync (that seemed to be the main culprit). I really don't know what happened though.

alba

Little is the new Big
Quick question here, does having the alarmed state count towards not having the ghost bonus? Since I'm doing quite a bit of saving and loading, I'd rather not have to redo some parts just because I had one alarmed state :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Wasn't really anticipating this game very much but suddenly the swell of hype (and some bad ass trailers) have gotten to me. Sure wish there was a PC demo so I could see how it looks and runs before I buy it in unrefundable, untransferrable format. #pcgamingpitfalls

BTW, I have a 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo, 3.25 GB RAM, and a GTX 460 (768MB). Monitor resolution is 1680x1050. Anyone have a sense of how it will run at native res?

Tenks

duckroll said:
K+M. For the record, I played Fallout NV and Alpha Protocol on the PC with a 360 controller. But I find for Deus Ex HR, the K+M setup is really good, and feels much more natural than using a controller. Props to Eidos for a great control setup.

I tried KB/M and Controller for all the games listed and I couldn't find a single good reason to use the controller.

Batman:AA especially. I figured controller was a must but that game played so much better KB/M.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
x-Lundz-x said:
No, that was there too but there was a separate leaflet for the tactical weapons pack.
Are you fucking kidding me? I didn't get anything. GOD DAMMIT.

Are there any bosses or action setpieces where stealth is useless and only brute force will work? This really pissed me off in Alpha Protocol, when I spent all my shit on non-combat skills thinking that's all I'd need, and my guy couldn't handle a gun when it was time to fight.

photo-2.jpg

That creation is fucking cool.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
revolverjgw said:
Are there any bosses or action setpieces where stealth is useless and only brute force will work? This really pissed me off in Alpha Protocol, when I spent all my shit on non-combat skills and my guy couldn't handle a gun.
Yeah. There are four bosses, and you have to fight them.

JerkShep

Oh, a question: is there a way to change the gamepad settings? I'm using a PS3 controller with motionjoy but I'd really like to swap R1/R2, shooting with R2 is meh with that trigger.

i've never had any stuttering problems with my 4870 1GB or my new 6850OC 1GB, and i pretty much install whatever the latest drivers are, including CCC, etc. i let Steam install them for me now too because i forget. EDIT: and by stuttering problems i mean with any game at all. i haven't installed/played DE:HR yet.

on an OT note, does anyone living in Europe want to help me figure out what size shirt to order from the Deus Ex merch site? i can't get the sales support to give me a straight answer on sizing. PLEASE PM ME. (sorry, didn't want to make a separate thread for the merch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
revolverjgw said:
Are there any bosses or action setpieces where stealth is useless and only brute force will work? This really pissed me off in Alpha Protocol, when I spent all my shit on non-combat skills thinking that's all I'd need, and my guy couldn't handle a gun when it was time to fight.

One of the most common complaints circulating through reviews and previews has been the forced boss fights, all of which are completely unavoidable, which is a shame. A marked area for improvement.

I just got to the China hub, and its pretty damn great looking. A nice change from Detroit, which I was way too comfortable with after the preview code. So far the only kills I've made were during the intro sequence and the boss fight. Every other encounter I've either performed non-lethal takedowns or snuck past. No alarms tripped!

thetrin

Unless the DLC is somehow rolled into the steam code, it seems like some of us got totally screwed out of our DLC.

cackhyena

EatChildren said:
I just got to the China hub, and its pretty damn great looking. A nice change from Detroit, which I was way too comfortable with after the preview code. So far the only kills I've made were during the intro sequence and the boss fight. Every other encounter I've either performed non-lethal takedowns or snuck past. No alarms tripped!
What kill did you make in the intro? I didn't kill anyone. I don't remember having to, anyway.

Twinduct

EatChildren said:
One of the most common complaints circulating through reviews and previews has been the forced boss fights, all of which are completely unavoidable, which is a shame. A marked area for improvement.

Exactly how I'll play it! Comeon friday!

Songbird

Prodigal Son
K.Jack said:
oh yeah, i forgot about that

In my mind, System Shock always takes precedence.

btw, the game is running beautifully on my notebook. 1080p with everything on high, framerate stays 45-60fps.

i7-2630QM
6970M (desktop 6850)
8GB 1333MHz RAM

I had stuttering, but that was because i had both D3D and the in-game v-sync running.
Could you please share laptop info? That's beastly.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
EatChildren said:
One of the most common complaints circulating through reviews and previews has been the forced boss fights, all of which are completely unavoidable, which is a shame. A marked area for improvement.!

I... I can't take this word seriously in a Deux Ex thread anymore :(, you've ruined it for me gaf.

JerkShep said:
Oh, a question: is there a way to change the gamepad settings? I'm using a PS3 controller with motionjoy but I'd really like to swap R1/R2, shooting with R2 is meh with that trigger.
Wait, what? I thought R1 was shoot on PS3... Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
cackhyena said:
What kill did you make in the intro? I didn't kill anyone. I don't remember having to, anyway.

Various enemy guards during the break in sequence. You can probably sneak past them, but I gunned them down like dogs.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The_Darkest_Red said:
Wait, what? I thought R1 was shoot on PS3... Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

He's using his PS3 pad on a PC via Motioninjoy 360 pad emulation drivers. So it's treating his Dual shock 3 as though it's a 360 pad.

cackhyena

EatChildren said:
Various enemy guards during the break in sequence. You can probably sneak past them, but I gunned them down like dogs.
Ah. I remember feeling like the first two you come across were impossible to get past in the leak build. They come down and start saying things that allude to the fact that you are there. On higher alert than normal. I figured I had to mow them down.

This time around, I just waited a little longer and they went into normal patrol mode after a good 20 to 30 seconds and it was easy enough to just slip by. Loving this game.

Qatar

I'm playing this as an action game, the same way I play Mass Effect.
I don't know how to play stealthy nor I like it.

Vaporak

revolverjgw said:

When I played the preview build the boss fights seemed to be just straight combat, but I also was able to beat it pretty easily without ever putting a point in any combat related Aug.

Mindlog

I'm fucking pumped (x4)
Finally a throwback game for me.
No silly BS and some free DLC.

Downloading 108kb
...sigh

Can't keep me down. This game is my jam.

Philthy

Stopped at the local Best Buy over lunch. They had a table with stacks of them right at the front door. Grabbed the PS3 version and walked right on out.

I'm going to play this with brute force. Can you play a viable melee character hacking everyone to death without having to be totally stealth? Otherwise I'll find some ranged weapon to fall in love with.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
He's using his PS3 pad on a PC via Motioninjoy 360 pad emulation drivers. So it's treating his Dual shock 3 as though it's a 360 pad.
Oh, gotcha. Thanks. I need to check into that sometime, I'd like to use my PS3 controller with my laptop.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
If the answer isn't too spoilery, how plentiful is non-lethal ammunition and can you get it for more guns than just a standard pistol? MGS4's LTL shotgun ammo really spoiled me, especially after I played through Alpha Protocol with no kills. I was a heavily armoured kung-fu fighting wall of Thorton.

EatChildren

Philthy said:
Stopped at the local Best Buy over lunch. They had a table with stacks of them right at the front door. Grabbed the PS3 version and walked right on out.

I'm going to play this with brute force. Can you play a viable melee character hacking everyone to death without having to be totally stealth? Otherwise I'll find some ranged weapon to fall in love with.

There are no melee weapons, so technically no. Your only melee attacks are the stun gun, and take downs, which are automated punches that use energy. You can upgrade your take downs to attack two people at once, and you dont need to be undetected to use them (eg: you can run up to someone and lay the smack down).

Guns seem to be the backbone of all combat though, so you will need to use them.

Thnikkaman said:
If the answer isn't too spoilery, how plentiful is non-lethal ammunition and can you get it for more guns than just a standard pistol? MGS4's LTL shotgun ammo really spoiled me, especially after I played through Alpha Protocol with no kills. I was a heavily armoured kung-fu fighting wall of Thorton.

The stun gun and tranq rifle are the only non lethal 'guns' I've come across. There's only one type of ammo for each weapon.

I'm scared to buy this game since I found the locations during the preview to be kind of repetitive. The reviews are also pointing out that this is kind of an issue. Don't know what to do. :(

Enjoyed the first couple hours of the game, but had a really strange and frustrating issue where the ui would randomly disappear, sometimes during combat, and sometimes during conversations meaning I couldn't see what responses I was picking, or even what was available. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
EatChildren said:
The stun gun and tranq rifle are the only non lethal 'guns' I've come across. There's only one type of ammo for each weapon.
Thanks for that. Looks like stealth is the way to go!

Daeda

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
on an OT note, does anyone living in Europe want to help me figure out what size shirt to order from the Deus Ex merch site? i can't get the sales support to give me a straight answer on sizing. PLEASE PM ME. (sorry, didn't want to make a separate thread for the merch.

On average, European sizes are slightly smaller than American ones. So if medium US barely fits you, you might want to go for large. When Im in the US, I usually buy the same sizes though, and since this is from a Dutch vendor, I think you'll most likely be fine by just ordering your regular size. But if in doubt, go bigger.

Top Bottom