• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

Eh, I got into WoW during the WotlK days and REALLY loved it back then. Stopped with Cata, didn't bother with Mists and WoD wasn't interesting because Metzen was all up in Horde for the longest time and I was getting tired of that angle.

Legion comes at a time with an intro to a cool new class, plus I never played Burning Crusade (or vanilla) so I'm excited to see what the Burning Legion story brings to the table.

There's no doubt I'll play Legion for 2, maybe 3 months tops,though. Resubscribe again for a month or two next year when some major raid appears.

The thing with WoW is that it's very casual friendly, which works great for me because unlike Wrath days, I don't have enough time to play games any more. So anything that needs too much grind is not worth my time.

Also Raid LFRs are pretty easy, or so I've heard, and honestly it's good to relax and just have some fun with 19 other random people trying to bring down some bosses :)

WoW expansions are 15 hour single player RPGs at this point. Halfway through month 2 you will feel like you've been playing for 6 months and decide to quit, mark my words.

taimoorh

WoW expansions are 15 hour single player RPGs at this point. Halfway through month 2 you will feel like you've been playing for 6 months and decide to quit, mark my words.

Which is fine, tbh. I'm very much into WoW lore, having read all the books, finished the Illidan novel over the weekend. I'm all in for story, with having a great sense of comfort knowing that in this world a most of other characters I see roaming around are actual people like me. And in that short period if I want I can play some dungeons or the occasional raid with other like-minded people for a casual community challenge.

Once I've seen most of the story elements, done all the dungeons and a raid or two...unsubscribed.

SJRB

Gold Member
The game is so freaking cool. Supremely stylish.

As for gameplay, I'm kinda on the fence. I had to reload a save like 4 times just now, because I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing and the AI kinda went haywire. Which is a "problem" I've been running into quite a bit - I'm often not quite sure I'm doing it "right". I know the game tries to be as open as possible, but as a result I often wander into areas where I get the feeling I'm not supposed to be yet. Example: I had to sneak into someone's office. I found a sewer entrance, but after climbing down I found a body and some pocket secretary, but the hallway to the target building was blocked. I sneak in through another area, and after some cutscenes the way I initially tried to use was actually the way out, and the wall is suddenly gone.

The hub area feels extremely "hubby". It's so cluttered and filled with stuff that's designed to grab your attention. And because it's so walled off and sectioned, it never ever feels like a real city. Detroit had this issue in HR [Lower Hengsha was better in that regard]. It's kinda hard to describe. It's also the scale, I suppose. The streets are so small yet there are cars parked everywhere, which logistically makes no sense. There is no active traffic or NPC flow, again because of the hub area being a walled off section. NPCs move around a bit, but some scripted sequence of a guy getting arrested ends with him on his knees, and after two hours he's still sitting there sobbing about police brutality. It's not very.. organic, I guess is the word.

Also - I know this is nitpicking territory but the concept of Jensen randomly having this big luxorious penthouse suite in this piece of shit apartment complex in the middle of this barren Prague getto is kinda silly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It is absolutely true. I am not talking about level design. I am talking about quest design. How you could do one before the other and it could lead to consequences, or that you could do something even before you are told about it. How you could miss a conversation with an important character but run into them later and the game would take that into account. How you could completely end up getting a quest or not depending on your decisions made previously in another quest. That is non linear quest design.

Dishonored has this though. For example early on you get a side quest in Dunwall to poison the alcohol distillery of a local gang. If you succeed in doing so, this will open up a quest later on from that gang to identify who poisoned their still (as they don't know it was you). Doing this quest will open up an optional alternate way to complete one of the main missions, none of which would have occured if you didn't do the initial side quest for Granny Rags. That's just one example.

Do you even know what a hub based world actually is?
Being able to go to a "base area" to get a quest from there and then move to another mission area via boat is not really hub based design wise. It's just going from one place to another.

The city of Dunwall is separated into a few large hub areas (aka districts) each of which are as large and open as Detroit is in DXHR. These districts have NPCs to interact with, stores to shop in, side quests to find and multiple mission areas attached to them. They absolutely use the same hub design you see in DXHR. I'm not referring to the tavern that acts as your homebase, which btw isn't all that different the Sarif HQ in DXHR.

You should really give Dishonored another try since you seem to have forgotten everything about it.

In an unrelated note. In regards to Mankind Divided having a apparently shit ending: Do you guys not remember how Human Revolution ended? Go to the high tech ocean base and fight a bunch of... zombies. Then get to the end and enter a room with 3 big buttons to determine your ending. It's clear that the last area of HR was incredibly rushed and it frankly sucked ass. Game was still good despite that.

Iceternal

I already cancelled my preorder and bought DOOM instead. I think I made the right choice.

This is shaping up to be the same kind of disappointment as Arkham Knight was to me : "ou didn't like our boss fights in previous game, then you won't have any boss fights anymore, you idiots" !

Unsatisfying ending, one hub, short game, no memorable moments or characters, half game ...

I can't deal with this.

And my experience has been that all problems I have heard about games by early buyers have been true. I remember MGSV, Arkham Knight...

I see Deus Ex sequels the same way I see horror movies.

Audiences and studios alike can't understand why horror movies since the 80s just aren't as scary or impactful as they were in the 70s and before. The makeup is better, the sound is better, the gore is better, there's CG now... What's missing?

What's missing is a brain. Most of the classic horrors of the 60s and 70s were political or philosophical allegories told by writers and directors with strong personal views and a determination to tell them subversively.

Most of today's mainstream horror makers grew up appreciating only the special effects and general creepiness, and are experts at all of that but completely miss the brains behind it all.

Ditto Deus Ex. The original wasn't made for the sake of it, it was genuine science fiction: looking at the present and drawing conclusions about what kind of society we will live in in the future - not just technologically but socially, politically etc.

Just like great horror teaches you about society or yourself through fear and the supernatural, Deus Ex teaches you to reflect on the present by telling you a story about the future.

The sequels just use those themes as superficial window dressing; "oh I guess we need some conspiracy theories? The original had that right?.. Uh ok, let's chuck in some cults or whatever?". It's like someone watched Bladerunner, decided it was about robots than can punch through walls, and went off to make a sequel.

Until there is a creative talent directing a Deus Ex game who has outspoken and well informed views about the world and isn't afraid to tell them through the game, there will never be another great Deus Ex game. No amount of cool augments or alternate paths will change that. I really don't understand why Spector hasn't returned to the genre in all this time, he must look at the knock offs and think ffs, why has the industry gone backwards instead of forwards?

But it reflects the modern developed world. We're supposed to be in a post-political society in which globalised capitalism is 1) the only possible form of human existence and 2) basically a perfect system that will never need replacing and will be infinitely sustainable. You can't question economics so you can't really question the form of politics that we have that maintains it, and not being able to question either of those means you can't even question the fundamental values behind the society we live in etc. etc. You're confined to question only things which are already formally denounced by the mainstream ie. torture, involuntary experimentation, slavery, religious extremism etc. Even when an issue like environmentalism is brought up, it can never be in a way which criticises the economic system behind the destruction of the environment, instead it'll be some kind of environmental terrorist or a corporation "gone rogue" ie. one bad apple.

maxresdefault.jpg

Gimme a Deus Ex game that talks about taxes.

Also - I know this is nitpicking territory but the concept of Jensen randomly having this big luxorious penthouse suite in this piece of shit apartment complex in the middle of this barren Prague getto is kinda silly.

Style first, context and story telling second (or third? Fourth?).

Nokterian

Guess you missed a whole lots of stuff on what they learned from there mistakes on previous expansions and clearly you haven't read anything about Legion or followed on how much has changed for replayability on that they made a huge mistake with long content drought.

Yes nobody liked the fact that blizzard wanted to release and expansion every year because of that there was content drought for a long period of time. They could not make it at all since every expansion requires lots of polish to get it out. And clearly what i have been reading they have learned yeah we cannot do this.

Seeing the impressions and gameplay from the beta it really shaping up to be a better expansion that WoD wasn't, i played all expansions WoD was fun for a moment but not enough to afterwards.

Good thing in legion you can start anywhere on the broken isles nothing is connected everything levels up as you level up all is an open world. For to replay new stuff like dungeons they added Keystone to amp up the difficulty and get better loot. The more difficult it gets the better stuff you will receive.

Don't forget every class has an artifact weapon for all specs all different tied into your class and spec.

There is so much more and reading posts on saying it is all a rehash clearly y'all screaming because you didn't play it in a longtime or never followed the development of this new expansion.

ISee

Ah whatever. I liked the 'reboot' aka prequel. I'm in, hopefully my 980(oc) can give me locked 60 at high settings.

edit: At what time is the game unlocking in central europe?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If you build a narrative (and touch all the interesting stuff DE generally pinpoints to) you should end it properly. We are not talking about a Jump and Run here, this is Deus Ex! That said if you are fine with that ending that is totally ok. Not everyone will hate the ending as much as a lot of us were already alarmed that the end is pretty underwhelming. I still was pretty disappointed but I don't know how I would have reacted without any knowledge about it^^
Honestly, I barely even recall the ending to the original game and never even liked the final areas. Didn't take away from the amazing experience for me.

He wasn't rushing and he did as many side quests as he could. I say that's disappointing. A lot of reviews have said this game is, on the whole, shorter than HR. That's disappointing!

Why? HR with the DLC was hella long. It's totally fine for a game to be of the length that someone with an actual job can finish it.

eot

Banned
Approaching Dishonored like a thief successor is folly. The game is blatantly a Deus Ex game, and frankly a much better one than HR.

I'm with nOoblet16, I don't think Dishonored is in any way a successor to Deus Ex. They're both immersive sims, I'll grant that, but saying they're in the same subgenre isn't that strong of a statement. It's like when people say Uncharted is a successor to the old Tomb Raider games.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-load started! Seems like pretty much all the DLC items are separated by the way. Someone was asking about that earlier but you should be able to turn off the credits and stuff but still keep everything else. Good stuff.

Bittercup

Pre-load started! Seems like pretty much all the DLC items are separated by the way. Someone was asking about that earlier but you should be able to turn off the credits and stuff but still keep everything else. Good stuff.
Where can you see what DLC you got? I activated my key on steam and preloaded the game but don't know where I can see the DLC.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Where can you see what DLC you got? I activated my key on steam and preloaded the game but don't know where I can see the DLC.

Hmmm for me it shows up when I select the game in my Library section. You should see it in a box on the information page. However, if you right click the title in the list, then click properties there will be a tab with all your DLC listed. From there you can deselect anything you don't want to install.

Edit: Properties won't show up until the pre-load is finished I guess. You should see the DLC you have in a box labelled DLC when your select the game in the Library section though.

Dec

So you're saying more like the abrupt ending of the sopranos? Where it didn't sour the experience of rating it highly but it's still mocked and parodied?

I think the point is that it ends too soon but it doesn't end badly. There will be sequels and if it ended badly they would be worse off, if MD ends abruptly they can still deliver on the set up in MD. One is really bad, the other is less bad if they don't earn the cliffhanger, but can be fixed.

Disregarding any conspiracies about purposely cutting the game short to force sequels because that's just speculation. They were developing an engine while developing this game after all.

pa22word

I'm with nOoblet16, I don't think Dishonored is in any way a successor to Deus Ex. They're both immersive sims, I'll grant that, but saying they're in the same subgenre isn't that strong of a statement. It's like when people say Uncharted is a successor to the old Tomb Raider games.

Dishonored's level design is ripped directly from Deus Ex. The levels Smith had a heavy hand in working on in DX (area 51, versalife, etc) are designed the same way that every dishonored level is, to the point I find it utterly shocking anyone can play both games and not notice it.

Bittercup

Hmmm for me it shows up when I select the game in my Library section. You should see it in a box on the information page. However, if you right click the title in the list, then click properties there will be a tab with all your DLC listed. From there you can deselect anything you don't want to install.

Edit: Properties won't show up until the pre-load is finished I guess. You should see the DLC you have in a box labelled DLC when your select the game in the Library section though.
Thank you :) I was using an outdated skin for steam that didn't show the info, that was the problem.

SJRB

Gold Member
So, is there any further info on how the additional mission is?

I'm fairly sure the Day 1 content isn't available yet. At least, I registered my game yesterday on the Squenix site and nothing happened. Also linked my console to the Squenix site but I can't find the Day 1 stuff anywhere.

Sidenote: I hate jumping through hoops like these like a trained monkey.

Mifec

I'm fairly sure the Day 1 content isn't available yet. At least, I registered my game yesterday on the Squenix site and nothing happened. Also linked my console to the Squenix site but I can't find the Day 1 stuff anywhere.

Under Jensen's stories?

Yoshi88

Under Jensen's stories?

I'm on PS4, can only see the pre-order mission so far under Jensen's stories. Costumes, Weapon packs and e-book stuff seems to unlock later.

Registered and linked my copy 4 days ago, so it seems it'll come on official release day.

Do you guys know if the game will unlock global at the same time or is the release date different for every timezone?

Good question actually, I'm curious too.

Got my CD keys from CDkeys.com as well, already pre-loading, nice they sent them 2 days out earlier than the release.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
The concept behind Deus Ex: Universe is to create an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games. It’s a commitment on our part to deliver meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis and to deliver a deep conspiracy that will span several connected Deus Ex games, creating a more immersive and richer experience than ever before. Deus Ex: Universe will include PC and console games, but also additional Deus Ex games and experiences available in other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc... You might have seen the name pop up recently in the press – well this is what it’s all about.

I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles. We’re very excited about it at the studio and I wanted to let you know that most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already working hard on this new game. It took us four years to learn how to create a unique Deus Ex experience with Human Revolution and it was important for me to keep this knowledge within the franchise.

That might explain it.

Top Bottom