• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Xyber

I'm gonna go out on a limb and maintain that pre-loading 20GB of 23GB is still more usefull than downloading 23GB at launch date and thus does not make the pre-loading useless.

Depends on your download speed. For me it has not been worth it to pre-load anything anymore, I usually finish downloading stuff before others have unpacked it.

Currently downloading at 55MB/s and will be done in about 3 minutes if it stays at that.

Spoo

098FrPH.png

Wait for me, guys!

Proxy

Steam's preload system is pretty indefensible. Sony is able to come up with a system that isn't complete garbage and yet it seemingly eludes Valve.

aravuus

Oh dear...
CqjmyQbXgAAbkeZ.jpg:large

Hahaha, I love that they've programmed it to even say more than a year if (it thinks) it's going to take that long.

Steam always does this shit at first, give it a couple of minutes and it should settle down to something in the 10 to 30 min range.

ZanDatsu

I wish Steam preloads went as smoothly as PS4 preloads. They launch the moment you hit the X button at midnight. (or maybe I've just been lucky with the games I did preload on PS4)

Steam's preload system is pretty indefensible. Sony is able to come up with a system that isn't complete garbage and yet it seemingly eludes Valve.

Do consoles actually have to encrypt preloads? I would assume they could just put a software block on running it. Something like that isn't feasible on PC.

Not Drake

Oh, didn't know that, I just remember a big object falling and killing someone for me, and that making my pacifist run not count, so just assumed everything would count as killing then.

I thought that self-destruct chain reaction ruined my hopes "Pacifist", but I just went on and got the steam achievement at the end. It looks like it's very unclear as to what counts towards the kill and what doesn't. I'm pretty sure that's gonna be the case in Mankind Divided too as it's even more complex.

Ulysses 31

I5 6600k + SSD = 15 minutes unpacking.

So I guess it's just shit from Steams side , as always :)

They really really need to step up their game and change this encrypting/unpacking stuff :(

Unpacking is taking about 10 min here with a i7-5960x and SSD. =(

Proxy

Do consoles actually have to encrypt preloads? I would assume they could just put a software block on running it. Something like that isn't feasible on PC.

Whether they do or not is completely irrelevant to the end consumer. All that matters is that one is relatively pain free and seamless and the other isn't.

d00d3n

I am not sure about the causality of this, but as soon as I gave up hope about the decryption process on my ssd (hovered around 2-3 hours) it jumped back to the range 5-8 minutes. Are they trolling us?

Paasei

First and last time I ever pre-load/purchase a game on Steam, rofl.

Bad servers/connection is why a lot of people don't want DRM or only buy physical games. Completely unreliable to this day.

Yes, I am salty :)

ebevan91

First and last time I ever pre-load/purchase a game on Steam, rofl.

Bad servers/connection is why a lot of people don't want DRM or only buy physical games. Completely unreliable to this day.

Yes, I am salty :)

I almost bought it on Xbox One instead. If I didn't already play HR on PC I probably would have.

Chanc3r

Neo Member
This is my first time pre-loading with Steam, wasn't prepared for this unpacking malarkey lol.

Seems crazy but I guess it would be quicker at this point for me to delete and re-download in full.

At least now I know for future!

ymgve

Hope you made sure to have 2x the required disk space because when Steam decrypts it creates a copy of all the game files.

Order just came from Amazon for the PS4 version, Human Revolution was one of those games that came out of nowhere for me and this sounds like HR 2.0 which I'm perfectly fine with.

Vic_Viper

Can someone with the Season Pass tell me if the praxis points and weapon packs can all be redeemed today? And if so is there a certain point in the game you need to be or are they unlocked after the tutorial basically? Trying to decide if I should get it today or wait, really want those extra points tho.

Top Bottom