• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

any truth to those PS3 cutscene issues in DMC3 that the audio is being out of sync? And if so, is this a universal glitch or just in the US or PAL versions?

I had this happen twice. I wouldn't say it was out of sync though - just that some additional audio played or it stuttered a bit. US version here.

Joch was mostly known for his innovations in DMC1. There were few people who pushed the game as much as he did. I think he was also one of the first people who beat DMD using only E&I and Force Edge. That shit was on some other level. I am sure he continued his services and play in subsequent DMC games but for me he was the grand daddy of top DMC play.

TST had a lot of hosts and the first one was a brainchild of us at the IGN forums and Gamefaqs (me, Dantelink, Tatsumarublack, Gemasis and Pokey were some of the originals) which started with DMC3 and then continued with DMC3SE. I stopped adjudicating it due to college and studies but most of those guys continued for quite some time until the TST host changed especially when DMC4 rolled around.

I haven't seen a TST in quite a while. Last time I saw one for DMC4 my mind was blown at some of the new tech and the level of execution of some of these people. I have accepted that I cannot achieve that level of play anymore especially with my soon to be profession.

Also I wonder if DmC will be inducted to the TST. I mean we did have a brief honorary TST for DMC2 (there was some actual decent tech on display... it was still ass in comparison to DMC3).

I know it's not a DMC but I think it was a misstep to not induct Bayonetta. If there is another TST, Bayo deserves a place way before DmC

Carbonox

So apparently you can control what attacks Nightmare uses in the fight. Standing in front of him will get him to use his ice beam. Afterwards he'll use his 3 prod attack, then back to ice beam and so on.

That will come in handy as it's his guiding missiles and boomerang attacks that do my head in.

Nemesis_

So apparently you can control what attacks Nightmare uses in the fight. Standing in front of him will get him to use his ice beam. Afterwards he'll use his 3 prod attack, then back to ice beam and so on.

That will come in handy as it's his guiding missiles and boomerang attacks that do my head in.

I'm not sure how good you are at it, but if you are decent at keeping your Devil Trigger up during that battle you should be fine. The guiding missiles launch in batches which all then home in on Dante. Basically, you can wait for the first batch, then move, then wait for the second, then move. They are easily dodged. Additionally, equipping Ifrit and jumping around will also destroy them if you have purchased Rolling Blaze. Also, if you get good enough (which, by the end of Nightmare II, I was) you can actually use Rolling Blaze to "hit" the body spikes that Nightmare uses. This will stun it and allow even more hits!

The Boomerang is even easier. Make sure you've always for Runes filled up in your DT meter. Whenever you see the Boomerang appear, wait till it lowers itself to your level, then jump in the air and Air Raid with Alastor. The Boomerang won't hit you, and even if you run out of Devil Trigger you will be near the end of it's "cycle" and it will return anyway. Of course you can also hammer away at his core while that's all going on too.

The real challenge for Nightmare III is really just that bezerker stage he goes into ;_; I pretty much got it by luck.

NOW! Does anyone have any tips for DMD Mundus? Both phases? I'm finding it near impossible to dodge a lot of his moves in the first phase which makes me think that I've missed something with this flight mechanic. Most guides tell me to use Devil Stars and essentially cheat. Even if I wanted to, I can't, not enough orbs.

Am I fucked? =/

Carbonox

I'm not sure how good you are at it, but if you are decent at keeping your Devil Trigger up during that battle you should be fine. The guiding missiles launch in batches which all then home in on Dante. Basically, you can wait for the first batch, then move, then wait for the second, then move. They are easily dodged. Additionally, equipping Ifrit and jumping around will also destroy them if you have purchased Rolling Blaze. Also, if you get good enough (which, by the end of Nightmare II, I was) you can actually use Rolling Blaze to "hit" the body spikes that Nightmare uses. This will stun it and allow even more hits!

The Boomerang is even easier. Make sure you've always for Runes filled up in your DT meter. Whenever you see the Boomerang appear, wait till it lowers itself to your level, then jump in the air and Air Raid with Alastor. The Boomerang won't hit you, and even if you run out of Devil Trigger you will be near the end of it's "cycle" and it will return anyway. Of course you can also hammer away at his core while that's all going on too.

The real challenge for Nightmare III is really just that bezerker stage he goes into ;_; I pretty much got it by luck.

NOW! Does anyone have any tips for DMD Mundus? Both phases? I'm finding it near impossible to dodge a lot of his moves in the first phase which makes me think that I've missed something with this flight mechanic. Most guides tell me to use Devil Stars and essentially cheat. Even if I wanted to, I can't, not enough orbs.

Am I fucked? =/

When I watched Joch's video, he was able to never initiate the guiding missiles and boomerang, which would be the ideal situation rather than worrying about dodging them, but your advice is handy as I'm not on an expert level. He did this by merely hanging around the front of Nightmare and never wandering unless activating runes. Then it was just simple PPKK with Ifrit, taunt for DT runes, Rolling Blaze the spikes and repeat. Throw in a Shadow boss fight for even more damage from the re-emergence, that's it. Incredibly simple on paper.

I'll try again later anyway. Nightmare's first form was relatively simple. It shouldn't be any different for this one apart from the boomerang, so I dunno why I'm struggling.

As for DMD Mundus, Vortex his main white beam as you'll go through it without taking damage. When he twirls towards you before disappearing in the distance, Vortex that too as you won't take damage but instead, you'll damage him quite significantly. Otherwise it's pretty much pray and hope you don't take damage by flying around and around and around and around whilst spamming Square and L1. :p

Atolm

So after playing this collection a bit do you feel these games have stood the test of time?

They did, in fact they're better now than ten years ago. Today action games can't even compare to DMC1, much less to DMC3, at least gameplay-wise.

When I played both on PS2 years ago I already thought that DMC would benefit a lot from higher res and anti-aliasing. I was a Xbox guy by then, so I was used to higher resolution (480p standard) and better AA. After playing Ninja Gaiden DMC looked very aliased and blurry to me. Even by PS2 standards, DMC3 looks like an aliased mess since they sacrificed resolution and AA to achieve 60fps. This HD Collection is how it's meant to be played. Also, good art and atmosphere are timeless.

Dahbomb

Does anyone have any tips for DMD Mundus? Both phases? I'm finding it near impossible to dodge a lot of his moves in the first phase which makes me think that I've missed something with this flight mechanic. Most guides tell me to use Devil Stars and essentially cheat. Even if I wanted to, I can't, not enough orbs.

Am I fucked? =/
I have some tips to give for the flight mode.

*Holding down the Jump button (Triangle in the original DMC1, it's going to be X in this) makes you move around faster. This is vital to dodging moves.
*When you dodge the attacks, make an "infinite" sign or a sideways 8 path to evade.
*Some attacks if you know they are about to hit you can time it so that you evade them by hitting the attack button which makes you do Vortex. The giant laser beam he throws can be evaded with this but timing is tight.
*Vortex also destroys his rocks and when he spins himself towards you you can counter Vortex him for solid damage.
*You want to save up your Devil Trigger until it reaches max then unleash it. The best time to unleash it is when Mundus crosses one of his arm over his shoulders to release his orbs. If you time it right on the counter, it will cause the dragon to hit twice which is a critical hit.
*When he summons the 4 orbs, barrage them with fireballs relentlessly and you can take out a couple before he even starts attacking.

Items are for casual current gen gamers. OG DMC players play DMC games pretending that items don't exist in the game. The game is perfectly balanced so that you can beat any thing in the game with anything without even taking a single pixel of damage (as is every decent action game).

Can someone confirm if the Inferno re-DT regain trick works in DMC1 HD? Basically as soon as you jump and input Inferno while in DT mode (after spending a few bars) quickly un-DT before reaching the ground. Has to be done against a group of enemies. If you did it right, you should gain back some DT while hitting them with the Inferno. Some people are saying this doesn't work anymore.

I think he was also one of the first people who beat DMD using only E&I and Force Edge.
Was that ever been done? Last I heard, someone else actually attempted that but gave up at Nightmare 2 because the fight already lasted over an hour.

Nemesis_

Items are for casual current gen gamers. OG DMC players play DMC games pretending that items don't exist in the game. The game is perfectly balanced so that you can beat any thing in the game with anything without even taking a single pixel of damage (as is every decent action game).

I've been playing without items. It is definitely more rewarding.

The biggest challenge thus far (haven't really tried Mundus just yet) has definitely been Nelo Angelo III and Griffon III.

Everything else has been not a cakewalk, but less daunting than I thought it would be.

I'll have to try out those Mundus tactics tomorrow.

Dahbomb

Was that ever been done? Last I heard, someone else actually attempted that but gave up at Nightmare 2 because the fight already lasted over an hour.
I tried it myself but couldn't get past Nelo Angelo 3 even with multiple sword cancel loops. You have no answer to Nelo Angelo pinning you down with swords using this configuration. At least with Alastor you can use Round Trip to bring him down and DT Alastor can break his guard. No guard breaks, no hard deflects, no way to bring him down from his perch... this fight is like a normal human being trying to fight the most powerful demon in existence next to the Prince of Darkness.

It's technically possible to beat the game this way but takes extremely long and is an insane test of patience and technical skill. I am pretty sure Nightmare 3 is even more difficult to beat with this.

Dahbomb

Now I am motivated to get the DMC HD and do what I could never do before.

Force Edge: The Motion Movie event of a life time.

Carbonox

Now I am motivated to get the DMC HD and do what I could never do before.

Force Edge: The Motion Movie event of a life time.

You haven't obtained the collection yet? wat is this.

Hmm, closest thing I can find to a Nightmare 3 battle on DMD with Force Edge is Joch's video on using Sparda only and no items. Of course, Sparda damage output is decent anyway. He did say in the description though that he wanted to try a Force Edge version of the fight but this was 5 years ago so doubt he ever got round to it (or at least uploading it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV2BVGLZxbQ

Dahbomb

No I don't have it yet. I probably won't have it until I get back to the States.

I saw the video and the guy kept it real simple especially his combos and spacing... made it look easy when it isn't. I tried to do sword cancels and tried to maximize damage but watching this video has made me realize that it's not the safest thing to do. The Shotgun also adds another hit of chip damage which with E&I is almost negligible especially when Nelo is stunned, it maximizes damage in that state.

He shouldn't have gotten hit by that Hightime combo. I would also argue he got a bit lucky on the run because Nelo didn't use his Tutu formation or his cheaper sword moves. That's what always gets me even with perfect evasion sometimes you just can't predict the off screen swords.

Atolm

I don't have mine yet either ;/, Easter holidays here last a whole week so my package from Amazon won't arrive until Tuesday. But I've been watching the vids from Gamersyde and oh god, they look superb.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Were the swimming controls in DMC1 always inverted? Damn.

So after playing this collection a bit do you feel these games have stood the test of time?

DMC1 is still the most complete gaming experience in this genre. It's a damn shame so much of it's core was abandoned in every follow-up.

IceCold

How's the collection guys? Is it a good HD port?

I never played the DMC games since I never owned a PS2 and was thinking of buying this for the PS3.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
How's the collection guys? Is it a good HD port?

I never played the DMC games since I never owned a PS2 and was thinking of buying this for the PS3.

Best action game released this year so far. But that's only cuz NG3 sucked.

I can't believe I never used Royal Guard before, holy shit its fun! Still getting used to the timing, it reminds me of when I would practice parrying in SFIII: 3rd Strike back in the day.

Dahbomb

You can play the flight mission with the D pad and it's not inverted when you play it like that.

At least if I remember it correctly. Maybe that was DMC2. Anything related to the flying/swimming mission in DMC1 I tend to blackout on. Easily one of the worst parts of DMC1 and thank god subsequent DMC games did away with it.

I much prefer Bayonetta but sure, you're entitled to your preferences.
He didn't say DMC1/DMC3 were better than Bayonetta nor did he say they were the best.

DMC3 is still in the upper echelon of the modern 3D action games mechanics wise because it goes toe to toe with current gen games despite being on inferior hardware.

Kamiya likes to throw that sort of stuff into his games; it's arguably his primary weakness as a developer. (although, for the record, I didn't mind the flight sequence at the very, very end of DMC1, nor the very-similar jetski sequence at the end of RE4)

I'm really hoping Bayonetta 2 doesn't have so much of the highway/missile sort of gameplay, though; they marred an otherwise fantastic game just like the swimming and flying vs. Mundus portions of DMC1 are kind of a black mark on the game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I like the little space shooter against Mundus but the swimming is unbearable. It's only about 5 minutes of playtime when you add it all up but it's way worse than the similar parts in Bayonetta.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You can play the flight mission with the D pad and it's not inverted when you play it like that.

At least if I remember it correctly. Maybe that was DMC2. Anything related to the flying/swimming mission in DMC1 I tend to blackout on. Easily one of the worst parts of DMC1 and thank god subsequent DMC games did away with it.

Wow, you totally saved me a ton of grief if that's true. The only reason I survived the escape flight in DMC1 is because I had enough health to run into all of the rocks and walls. :(

Curufinwe

Kamiya likes to throw that sort of stuff into his games; it's arguably his primary weakness as a developer. (although, for the record, I didn't mind the flight sequence at the very, very end of DMC1, nor the very-similar jetski sequence at the end of RE4)

I'm really hoping Bayonetta 2 doesn't have so much of the highway/missile sort of gameplay, though; they marred an otherwise fantastic game just like the swimming and flying vs. Mundus portions of DMC1 are kind of a black mark on the game.

Kamiya didn't have anything to do with RE 4 did he?

Dahbomb

Wow, you totally saved me a ton of grief if that's true. The only reason I survived the escape flight in DMC1 is because I had enough health to run into all of the rocks and walls. :(
I was talking about the Mundus battle but it should work there too.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC1 started off as RE4, and you can still see a lot of similarities between them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kamiya was director even when DMC1 was RE4. The escape sequence clearly was a relic of the Resident Evil phase of development, though.

Or maybe Shinji Mikami just really likes that stuff included (he was the producer of DMC1, after all).

I was talking about the Mundus battle but it should work there too.

Hopefully it works in both. During the Mundus fight, I just had to train my brain when making minute adjustments. I was just using a figure 8 to avoid all the attacks anyway, so as long as I was consistent I ended up okay.

Uggh. I am trying to critical the Shadows.

Is it even doable in Hard Mode?

(The whole standing on the spear thing)

(Also does anyone have any idea how to get Griffon's 9th enemy file. Or how to get a Fetish to jump on you? >_>)

Did you ever end up figuring out how to get these Enemy Files? I've been having a hard time doing criticals on the Shadows as well. I'm jumping on the spike immediately, in DT, and mashing guns like no tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm also on Hard Mode.

I also haven't gotten the Fetish grab thing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kamiya was director even when DMC1 was RE4. The escape sequence clearly was a relic of the Resident Evil phase of development, though.

Or maybe Shinji Mikami just really likes that stuff included (he was the producer of DMC1, after all).

Yeah. DMC1 has a few stock Biohazard series sound effects and stuff, too, plus the transition when you open a door (zoom + blurred screen) is the same in both games, there's a lot of stuff about an old castle ruled by a castellan, a sewer/basement where you get attacked by insects... et cetera.

ESPECIALLY when you look at the post-DMC RE4 prototypes, you can see even more remaining influence from Kamiya's version of the game; shadowy enemies emerging from paintings, creepy animated dolls as enemies, et cetera.

Carbonox

These enemy files are a fucking bitch to get. Just need this trophy and DMD and I've platinumed the game and can move on.

Nemesis_

These enemy files are a fucking bitch to get. Just need this trophy and DMD and I've platinumed the game and can move on.

I don't really think so =/ I've only missed two total, and that's just be playing naturally.

When he twirls towards you before disappearing in the distance, Vortex that too as you won't take damage but instead, you'll damage him quite significantly. Otherwise it's pretty much pray and hope you don't take damage by flying around and around and around and around whilst spamming Square and L1. :p
*Vortex also destroys his rocks and when he spins himself towards you you can counter Vortex him for solid damage.

Everytime I do this I seem to also take a shit tonne of damage. It seems valuable but at the same time if I am taking this much damage, I am assuming I am doing something wrong. Any ideas? =/

*You want to save up your Devil Trigger until it reaches max then unleash it. The best time to unleash it is when Mundus crosses one of his arm over his shoulders to release his orbs. If you time it right on the counter, it will cause the dragon to hit twice which is a critical hit.

Everytime I do this I don't get a critical hit. Is it just as the orbs themselves are released, or should I be doing it as soon as the animation starts? I imagine this damage boost would be also quite beneficial.

I wish this boss battle wasn't in the game, it just feels so odd and out of place and I can't really use the skills I've gained / developed throughout my previous three playthroughs =( It really feels like that half the time this battle is luck. >_>

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't really think so =/ I've only missed two total, and that's just be playing naturally.

Still going at Mundus. Those hints have definitely helped. Hopefully I'll be able to finish him up today.

Getting most of them is pretty easy, but specifically getting them all for Fetish is fucking annoying.

Carbonox

I can't get the Sin Scythes to do their umbrella ability (and the attack that comes after it) or their circling technique. Tried to get two batches of Sin Scythes to do this but to no avail.

Nemesis_

If y'all help me with Mundus I AND Mundus II tips I am sure I could help out with Enemy Files since then I will be returning to the game to complete them ;)

I got the Umbrella move somehow, I don't even remember it happening but I didn't get whatever the follow up move was.

Carbonox

Aye, out of the two times I tried Vortex when Mundus twirled towards me, only once did I inflict damage without taking it myself. I think you have to time it so that you emerge from Mundus at the end of the Vortex animation. If you stop Vortex while he's still in the motion of going through the screen (for lack of better wording), you'll take damage.

Hard to explain haha. Gotta try it again myself.

Top Bottom