• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or is anyone else enjoying playing through the first one more than they did over 10 years ago when the game first came out?

Me

I've never really explored most of what any of these games have to offer back when I played them initially. Pretty much completed the games once and moved onto something else.

So I've been taking my time and trying to see as much of the content as possible. Pretty much trying to complete the trophy pack in one while reading alot here.

Learning alot and having alot of fun with the game. Don't think I'll play much else this month besides this collection

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, how difficult is it to platinum each game?

Is it just me or is anyone else enjoying playing through the first one more than they did over 10 years ago when the game first came out?

It might be because I'm 10 years older and have a different perspective on what is one of my favourite games in my favourite series ever, but I'm playing this game in a more refined approach with a new found respect for everything that's been done in it. My understanding of how the game works and what can be possible in it is more advanced now.

When DMC1 first came out, it was a mind-blowing title renovating the action genre in an incredible way. An inspirational title (one of the most inspirational in god knows how many years). However, something clicks with me far more now than it did when I first set eyes on it. Again, it's probably because I played it then when I was 10 years younger.

Difficult to explain really.

I can sort of relate to this. I was eleven when I played the first game (2001?), and I just sort of bludgeoned my way through hard mode (to unlock LDK, of course) without any real thought for combos. Dodge, shoot sword as where it was at. This time around it feels like a completely different game.

Carbonox

Yet to touch DMC2 and DMC3 because I'm working on the Platinum for DMC1, but I'd say it can take you 3-5 runs in DMC1 at least, depending how plucky/good/lucky (where the files trophy is concerned) you are. The other games could prove more difficult to the Bloody Palace trophies.

Dante Must Die is what may prove to be a put-off for many average gamers. It's a difficult mode but not one without exploitations and handy methods. It requires a good knowledge of the combat system and the enemies but it's achievable for sure. The guides in the OP will help you take advantage of enemies.

I need to finish my DMD run then do an Easy run to finish up the enemy files, secret missions and get a full health bar. Then I'll be done.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

the hardest thing to do in each seems to be DMD runs and Bloody Palace completions/milestones

Rest is just grinding or stuff that can be referenced in an FAQ I guess. I'm not too worried about those yet just seeing how much I can complete playing at my own pace.

Nemesis_

Anyone got any tips for Griffon III on Dante Must Die! mode?

Having a lot of trouble - it's like all the OTHER iterations of Griffon on all the other difficulties have finally come back to haunt me =(

Carbonox

Having a lot of trouble - it's like all the OTHER iterations of Griffon on all the other difficulties have finally come back to haunt me =(

Grenade and Meteor Lvl 2 (fully charged) spam. The former to build up meter and the latter for great damage.

Carbonox

I've never played any Devil May Cry games
I'm a bad person.

Should I pick this up as a newcomer?

Well it does give you the first three games so if anything, it's the perfect tool for newcomers! Plus you get two of the greatest action games in the collection.

Definitely get involved. ;)

Zabuza

Banned
Well it does give you the first three games so if anything, it's the perfect tool for newcomers! Plus you get two of the greatest action games in the collection.

Definitely get involved. ;)
Thanks, I'll run by the store today an pick it up. I love the look of the gameplay and from what I've seen there are plenty of unlockable modes. The more content the better.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I've never played any Devil May Cry games
I'm a bad person.

Should I pick this up as a newcomer?

Unless you hate games like this, there's no reason not to try them. You don't have to study the in-depth guides provided here to appreciate and enjoy the game. It's not that hard to learn, though there is much depth to master. You can still have a great time as a beginner though, provided you aren't turned off by games that pose a challenge (especially by today's standards).

Zabuza

Banned
Unless you hate games like this, there's no reason not to try them. You don't have to study the in-depth guides provided here to appreciate and enjoy the game. It's not that hard to learn, though there is much depth to master. You can still have a great time as a beginner though, provided you aren't turned off by games that pose a challenge (especially by today's standards).
I'm actually looking for a tough game to get good at. I know that there's lot of different unlockable difficulties which is something I always appreciate.

I would like to platinum DMC1 and DMC3.

Dahbomb

As soon as the battle begins charge up a full LVL2 Meteor. If you did it right, the fireball will hit him twice and it will instantly chop off 1/3rd of his life causing him to fall off with a few extra shots. This is a critical hit on Griffon and it's the only time in the game where you can make the Meteor hit like that because of the space/distance/placement of the encounter.

I like E&I with charged shots (hold [] to charge) to chip away while also building meter. Grenade Gun usually misses. I would also keep using DT shots at long range because Meteor usually misses and puts you in a vulnerable spot. When you drop him on the ground then you can charge Meteor or do the other powerful DT moves. This battle will test your evasion skills the most especially the vertical pillars which require you to evade through them with Roll at the last second.

Wow, I knew DMC2 was bad, but I wasn't prepared for it to be THIS bad. This is like... bad game design 101 in a nutshell. Why is everything the exact same color all the time? Gritty realism is such a bad fit for this sort of game, ugh. While the guns have pretty damn good impact when you fire, there is pretty much zero feedback on sword slashes. Not that there seems to be any reason to use the sword. I just stood out of range of the Taurus boss and kept firing while he was doing his attacks and completely ignoring where in the fuck I was located. Geez.

Wow, I knew DMC2 was bad, but I wasn't prepared for it to be THIS bad. This is like... bad game design 101 in a nutshell. Why is everything the exact same color all the time? Gritty realism is such a bad fit for this sort of game, ugh. While the guns have pretty damn good impact when you fire, there is pretty much zero feedback on sword slashes. Not that there seems to be any reason to use the sword. I just stood out of range of the Taurus boss and kept firing while he was doing his attacks and completely ignoring where in the fuck I was located. Geez.

And this is why Capcom has done as much as they can to unofficially disavow it without being rude and doing so officially.

123rl

Just put it to the side and play DMC3 instead. When you've finished it then play DMC3 again because I guarantee you won't have rinsed every bit of possible satisfaction out of DMC3

Dahbomb

Pfft, I won't be skipping DMC2 once I get round to it. I'm even gonna go for the Platinum!
syQ0A.gif

*Waits for reaction when he learns that you need to complete DMC2 Bloody Palace to earn the Platinum

Can't believe I've never seen these before (Guy S ranks DMD without getting hit once):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1DDAA592333D69A7&feature=plcp

The guy knows how to play DMC1 furrealz. Will come in handy for me once I do my DMD run as well. Some sexy tips and tricks as well to get the most out of each mission.

EDIT: Holy shit at making Phantom his bitch. Completely got Phantom stuck in an animation loop from the Helm Breaker.
EDIT 2: He destroyed that 3 Shadows secret mission without breaking a sweat. Really makes them look weak. :lol
EDIT 3: The shit did he do to Nelo Angelo? How'd he sword cancel and basically trap him in an infinite combo? Haha

Oh my fucking god.

And I remember my 12 year old self dying again and again on HARD mode, jesus christ. I still have to finish DMC1 on hard. It's something I'll never forget. :( For that reason alone I must get the collection, even though I have my DMC1 and a PS2 right in front of me lol.

Carbonox

I know the trophy requirements and I'm still going for it. I'm gonna take one for the whole of GAF.

I'll be sure to write my will before I start.

Teknoman

So does the PS3 version have any issues? For continuity I'm leaning to it for the controller and all.

Nothing so far.

And wow DMC1 looks really nice. I forgot how "this is how Castlevania should look this generation" the game was. The environments are pretty creepy at times.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think I've already said this but......I actually liked DMC2 and it's the only DMC I played through 3 times.
thou to be fair, it's still the worse one in the series.

I liked DMC2 when it came out. I was young.

I had a friend back in high school who thought DMC2 was a good game. I asked him to let me play it one day, and we ran through the game for about an hour. Apparently the main source of difficulty for him was that he only used Dante's sword, and spent a good chunk of time chasing down enemies after he knocked them halfway across the room.

I don't know how it is with the other parts of the game, but apparently the best way to handle the first 2 missions involves a lot of gunplay, a few uses of High Time, and long stretches of walking/flying.

We never really touched the game after that. He did end up clearing it, though, so he must have still enjoyed it somewhat (and he bought it used for, like, $10, so it's not like he was just trying to get his money's worth or something.)

Funny thing is, I picked up a copy of Chaos Legion after that, and he used to make fun of me for playing it because he thought it looked like DMC2 - lots of cobblestone roads, Gothic architecture, stuff like that. Complete 180 from his earlier love of the game.

But enough about DMC2.

I like the OT, and the guides and videos that have been made for it, but it's going to be a while before I can actually get my hands on the game. I'm looking forward to playing DMC3 again, though; it's still one of my favorite PS2 games.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can't believe I've never seen these before (Guy S ranks DMD without getting hit once):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1DDAA592333D69A7&feature=plcp

The guy knows how to play DMC1 furrealz. Will come in handy for me once I do my DMD run as well. Some sexy tips and tricks as well to get the most out of each mission.

EDIT: Holy shit at making Phantom his bitch. Completely got Phantom stuck in an animation loop from the Helm Breaker.
EDIT 2: He destroyed that 3 Shadows secret mission without breaking a sweat. Really makes them look weak. :lol
EDIT 3: The shit did he do to Nelo Angelo? How'd he sword cancel and basically trap him in an infinite combo? Haha

I'm confused. When he first starts up the game, he has option to select a different character, and select difficulty. Do you only get this option once you beat it on DMD or something? Whenever I select New Game, it immediately starts. I've only beaten it on Normal so far. Is that why?

This is probably the only thing I didn't like about DMC3 (how they handled Dante):

You shut your mouth.

I know the trophy requirements and I'm still going for it. I'm gonna take one for the whole of GAF.

I'll be sure to write my will before I start.

I'm going to 1000/1000 the collection, too. It's just a matter of time. DMC2 is going to be a nightmare. :(

Carbonox

I'm confused. When he first starts up the game, he has option to select a different character, and select difficulty. Do you only get this option once you beat it on DMD or something? Whenever I select New Game, it immediately starts. I've only beaten it on Normal so far. Is that why?

That's probably why. You don't unlock the LDK costume until you beat Hard mode.

Carbonox

The second Griffon battle on DMD mode is a cunt. The elastic bands do not go down in any less than a bazillion bullets, even if you attack it without touching Griffon. The spam of them is irritating. However, the technique where you shoot down on him from the mass with DT E&I works a charm. Somehow the cheese kicks in and your bullets do horrendously overpowered damage. Why this technique is even possible I would love to know.

Still, it's the elastic bands that ruin that fight for me. Everything else is doable.

mandas

Neo Member
I missed some blue orbs the first play through of DMC1. I thought I remembered where they were. I don't know if I am enjoying it any more than before but I am certainly not enjoying it any less. While the graphics are not this gen it looks good and by God game play still amazes me.

Carbonox

Nightmare is on a whole 'nuva level of shit fuck in DMD. On Nightmare's second battle and it's doing my head in. Then again it is 5:23am so I should really sleep. :lol

AAK

What are the chances we'll ever see these games up for sale individually on PSN? All I want is DMC1.

Just farmed the FUCK out of mission one for orbs in DMC3 while also practicing my Royal Guard. I rarely used RG back when I first played DMC3 so its an adjustment.

Nemesis_

What are the chances we'll ever see these games up for sale individually on PSN? All I want is DMC1.

Because it's such an expensive package

I found Nightmare ridiculously easy on DMD. But I am having way too much trouble with Nelo Angelo III. He just keeps obliterating me. Maybe I need to just save up orbs and buy a shitload of items and break my NO ITEM mantra =(

Top Bottom