• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
True. After the disaster of Team Ninja dogs effort, I really really really want to be wrong about DmC. With kamiyas project out the picture for now and maybe indefinitely, the action genre is really dead if this flops.

MGS:R looks like it will be amazing, but one game alone cannot carry the genre on its back, especially one that is partly catering to a fanbase that will in all honesty hate it.

I envision a castlevania: LOS situation with that title.

What's the deal with Kamiya's project?

I really want to see more of Revengeance. It looks like it has priorities in place. It's just tough to tell how refined they're aiming to make the combat based on what we've seen so far.

Just got to the Chapter 17 boss in DMC 1 and holy fuck did I hit a wall. I really only played DMC 4 in my gaming life however I was pretty good combo wise and all that jazz but the boss on Chapter 17 is just straight up raping me. I almost had him last time, but is it supposed to ramp up so late in the game or am I just sucking?

Mission 17? I'm assuming you're talking about nightmare? The blob thingy.

Well, Ifrit works well. If you have rolling blaze, even better. When it starts shooting those black missiles at you, you can simply jump around and the rolling blaze special will actually knock those missiles back at Nightmare and it's revealed core.

When you can attack the core and you're not bothered by those black missiles, a simple /\ /\ /\ /\ combo works (no need to charge any of the attacks) You can also do /\, /\. (kick 13) as it's a faster combo letting you have more control afterwards for evasion purposes.

If you have Inforno. It does a lot of damage as well. So utilize Devil Trigger with Ifrit when possible. To learn about execution on these various moves, check the 'action' sub-menu in the menu screen.

It also goes without saying that the runs need to be activated at all times. You only need to activate one of them. Make sure you attack those runes when Dante is right next to it, while you're pushing the analog stick towards those runes. Or Dante will end up swinging the other way due to auto lock.

Himself

I've never died so many times on the first boss of a game in my lilfe. I've been spoiled by Bayonetta and I suck at Devil May Cry.

Mission 17? I'm assuming you're talking about nightmare? The blob thingy.

Well, Ifrit works well. If you have rolling blaze, even better. When it starts shooting those black missiles at you, you can simply jump around and the rolling blaze special will actually knock those missiles back at Nightmare and it's revealed core.

When you can attack the core and you're not bothered by those black missiles, a simple /\ /\ /\ /\ combo works (no need to charge any of the attacks) You can also do /\, /\. (kick 13) as it's a faster combo letting you have more control afterwards for evasion purposes.

If you have Inforno. It does a lot of damage as well. So utilize Devil Trigger with Ifrit when possible. To learn about execution on these various moves, check the 'action' sub-menu in the menu screen.

It also goes without saying that the runs need to be activated at all times. You only need to activate one of them. Make sure you attack those runes when Dante is right next to it, while you're pushing the analog stick towards those runes. Or Dante will end up swinging the other way due to auto lock.

Actually I was talking about
Vergil
but I finally managed to barely get him with the Ifrit weapon.

Thank you though :)

Himself

If you're talking about Phantom just use Air Raid.

Problem solved.

Maybe it's not even a boss then. The spider in chapter 3 of dmc1. I've died about 15 times and I'm not sure if I just completely suck or if there is something that I'm supposed to be doing that I'm not. I watched a couple YouTube videos but neither of the players ended up beating it. Think I'll just take a break until tomorrow.

Maybe it's not even a boss then. The spider in chapter 3 of dmc1. I've died about 15 times and I'm not sure if I just completely suck or if there is something that I'm supposed to be doing that I'm not. I watched a couple YouTube videos but neither of the players ended up beating it. Think I'll just take a break until tomorrow.

Yeah, use air raid on the spider. His top side is open to attack also. So a lot of jumping attacks onto his back work well. Only his face and top backside are susceptible to damage.

But Air Raid works well too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

That's Phantom.

If you haven't purchased/can't afford air raid you can just back away from him while shooting its face with devil trigger shotgun for an easy kill too.

You can hit the fireballs back with your sword by timing it properly.

What's the deal with Kamiya's project?

I really want to see more of Revengeance. It looks like it has priorities in place. It's just tough to tell how refined they're aiming to make the combat based on what we've seen so far.

In a nutshell, Sega can't afford to take anymore risks right now and that means a Bayo 2 has about a nil chance of happening.

Even anarchy reigns may not be released.

That said, we don't know for sure that's what he was working on, so it's possible he is working on a game for another publisher. But if so I very very much doubt it's an action game.

Himself

Yeah, use air raid on the spider. His top side is open to attack also. So a lot of jumping attacks onto his back work well. Only his face and top backside are susceptible to damage.

But Air Raid works well too.

I had to go look up air raid and i definitely don't have that.

That's Phantom.

If you haven't purchased/can't afford air raid you can just back away from him while shooting its face with devil trigger shotgun for an easy kill too.

You can hit the fireballs back with your sword by timing it properly.

I was managing something with the fireballs but I couldnt get it to happen consistently.

Conclusion: I've got a lot to learn at the moment.

Honestly, a good devil trigger (in air /\ or Y if you're 360) on it's top backside (thorax...or whatever, the ass of the spider from the top) does a good deal of damage especially if you're DT'ed.

What also helps is if you attack the face, with a basic /\, /\, (rising hightime) then use pistols to float in the air to avoid his attacks.

Rising hightime is performed : R1+Back+Press and Hold /\

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'd definitely recommend all people new to DMC1 to get Air Raid ASAP. It does a ton of damage on pretty much every boss. I always thought Phantom was pretty damn hard for a first boss otherwise.

ezekial45

Banned
In a nutshell, Sega can't afford to take anymore risks right now and that means a Bayo 2 has about a nil chance of happening.

That said, we don't know for sure that's what he was working on, so it's possible he is working on a game for another publisher. But if so I very very much doubt it's an action game.

Don't jump to conclusions. AR is fine because it already has a scheduled release date. As for the other unannounced games, we don't know. Depends on how important Sega thinks the games are.

I am really enjoying DMC3's cutscenes again, very well done and the story was better executed than I remember. The voice acting is top notch. The Vergil battles are just insane!

Aske

The difficulty of Phantom is one of the best examples of Devil May Cry's masterful balancing and difficulty scaling. I can't remember how many times he killed me before I started to figure him out. But you learn, you adapt, and then you perfect your strategy; and it all clicks. Or you spam Air Raid!

Air Raid is probably the most fun I have ever had flying in a game. Beating DMD, unlocking Super Dante, and enjoying limitless flight was an awesome perk for beating the game on its hardest setting.

Hey, since we're having some dmc4/bayo talk-

what was the stragety for defeating the fired up enemeis in the hardest mode of bayo? frustrated me to all hell and made me borderline hate it.
theres no witch time, so i just equiped the bombs power and spammed dodging, there had to be a better way right?

Use Wicked Weaves! PKP is you get-out-of-jail-free combo, and it will decimate flaming enemies even if Bayonetta is on the other side of the battlefield.

A (much more complicated) alternative would be slapping on the Bracelet of Time if you have it. Then you just need to charge up your magic, and hold LB to enter Witch Time.

Bayonetta 1 sold a million worldwide, didn't it? Might not be such a huge risk, as long as the sequel manages to blow people away again.

The difficulty of Phantom is one of the best examples of Devil May Cry's masterful balancing and difficulty scaling. I can't remember how many times he killed me before I started to figure him out. But you learn, you adapt, and then you perfect your strategy; and it all clicks. Or you spam Air Raid!

DMC1's opening hour is incredible...kill some puppets, play around with the gun a little, do a few small tasks...then the Alastor scene happens and before you know it, you're fighting one crazy boss after another. I must have cheesed my way through it when I first played the game because it's still got a bit of a curve today, even after playing years of hardcore action games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
0l9Mh.jpg

I love this.

Dahbomb

For those who haven't seen it, no major DMC3 thread is complete without this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BGp1an_PMw

The most legendary DMC video ever made. I remember when this first came out Youtube wasn't even that big and I downloaded it through some forum via 56K because that's what most people had back in the day. Must have seen it a dozens of times at least. The absolute starting point of what is possible in DMC3 but what a starter this video is for the game and it's following.

I am sure most people have seen it here already but watch it again just for old time sakes.

For those who haven't seen it, no major DMC3 thread is complete without this video:

The most legendary DMC video ever made. I remember when this first came out Youtube wasn't even that big and I downloaded it through some forum via 56K because that's what most people had back in the day. Must have seen it a dozens of times at least. The absolute starting point of what is possible in DMC3 but what a starter this video is for the game and it's following.

I am sure most people have seen it here already but watch it again just for old time sakes.

this vid got me to buy the game (i was pretty stuck on NG at the time and barely noticed DMC3 had come out...)

still can't see what the hell is going on in it, but it is still awesome and got me to play stylishly.

the comments about 4 being a letdown and hoping 5 will better are pretty heartbreaking. Imagine going back in time and telling those people Capcom would hand the game off to the esteemed devs behind such titles as Heavenly Sword and Enslaved.

but hey, we got this HD collection and these games won't ever get old. at least DmC can't somehow retroactively ruin that. If it's anything like NG3, it'll be so bad that it'll make everyone wanna replay the old games!

Dahbomb

Imagine going back in time and telling those people Capcom would hand the game off to the esteemed devs behind such titles as Heavenly Sword and Enslaved.
If I went back in time and told my 2004 self that Capcom is going to give DMC to some other company I would've thought I was some idiotic troll.

GODDAMN Dahbomb you took me back with this one!

HSID... high school days, still had dial-up back then. I used to rent PCs just to watch combo vids on broadband.

heretic still takes the crown for being the most (robitically) amazing player though. Got all SS on New Game DMD with no shopping and shuffling styles around to keep them all at Lv1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uVaw6m4Ims

123rl

Greatest action game of all time!

Because my first combo video is the infamous kail one I found hell, sloth is dead to be too simple for my tastes. But over time I have learnt to appericate it's depth and use of timing, rather just relying on jump cancels, to create an amazing video.

I'm actually surprised no one hasn't tried to make a tribute video in umvc3 yet.

Don't jump to conclusions. AR is fine because it already has a scheduled release date. As for the other unannounced games, we don't know. Depends on how important Sega thinks the games are.

I love your optimism, although its usually misplaced.

Sega said:
The Consumer Business centered on SEGA CORPORATION is expected to post operating loss in the year ending March 2012, given the severe economic environment in the U.S. and Europe and rapid change in market environment of home video game software. Amid such business environment, the Company decided to implement structural reform of the Consumer Business at SEGA CORPORATION to strive for a shift to a structure corresponding to the market environment for the purpose of earnings recovery in the following period and after.

In accordance with the decision, the Company is expected to record extraordinary loss totaling around 7.1 billion yen, including costs in line with the streamlining of organizations and the canceling of development of some game software and costs for processing inventory. As for the Consumer Business in the following period and after, the Company projects decreases in operating expenses due to the reform.

Please refer to “Concerning Structural Reform of Consumer Business at SEGA CORPORATION” announced on the same day for details of the reform.

1. Reason
The Consumer Business centered on SEGA CORPORATION is expected to post operating loss in the year ending March 2012, due to the challenging economic climate and significant changes in the home video game software market environment in the U.S. and Europe.
Given this circumstance, the companies determined that in order to actualize earnings recovery of the Consumer Business in the following period and after and return to a growth path, it is essential to streamline organizations in the field of home video game software in the U.S. and European markets, while shifting to a structure that corresponds to change in environment, including strengthening development in the field of digital content.

2. Descriptions of measures

(1) streamline organizations
We will streamline organization in the U.S. and Europe home video game software. This will create a smaller company positioned for sustained profitability.

(2) Reduction of number of titles
We conducted detailed reviews of earnings projections for titles targeted toward the U.S. and European markets and decided to narrow down sales titles from the following period and after to strong IPs, such as “Sonic the Hedgehog,”, “Football Manager”, “Total War” and “Aliens” which are expected to continue posting solid earnings. In accordance with this, we are canceling the development of some game software titles.

Following period = April onwards

IGN said:
Our sources have revealed that any currently announced game that isn't included on that list [Sonic, Football Manager, Total War, and Aliens] will not be published by SEGA, leaving a decent amount of the publisher's upcoming publishing roster in jeopardy.

So basically, unless games are in the above four franchises, they won't be published by Sega, and may be in trouble, period, of releasing.

The game was never going to be a sales hit, even sega realised this:-

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/15/sonic-boom-segas-hayes-on-the-future-and-more/

It isnt coming out least not at retail, and if it does come out as a DD title, it will delayed to the point that even less people will care than they do now (sorry platinum).

gunbo13

IMO, you could really get some subs if you decided to do commented walkthroughs for the collection. DMD DMC and 3. It depends on having a capture card or not though, I guess?
Sadly, not really enough support or interest to go through with it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Oh wow. I watched this video a dozen times when it came out. Such a long time ago.

...Yup, blast from the past. The one and the original. It started it all...I never knew who made that either...

Darkatomz

Brings back memories...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Been too long since I played DMC3 and now I am stuck.
Just fought Jester for the first time and back in the tower entrance with the jump pad... where the heck do I go? I already activated the panel at the top.

gunbo13

This came out extremely well. Dual HD feeds of gameplay + controller.

EDIT:
Which one of you bastards is down-voting me? Huh?

lol

Been too long since I played DMC3 and now I am stuck.
Just fought Jester for the first time and back in the tower entrance with the jump pad... where the heck do I go? I already activated the panel at the top.

Activating the panel opens up access to the Vajra - it should be a glowing item in the central column of the tower where the jump pad is. A few walls disappeared.

Then you want to take the Vajra and go to the room where you fought the living statues and use it to open up the cage around the Steel Soul (or whatever), which will then enable you to cross over the gap left by that stairway that crumbled away.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Activating the panel opens up access to the Vajra - it should be a glowing item in the central column of the tower where the jump pad is. A few walls disappeared.

Then you want to take the Vajra and go to the room where you fought the living statues and use it to open up the cage around the Steel Soul (or whatever), which will then enable you to cross over the gap left by that stairway that crumbled away.

Got it. Now onto mission 8.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Now that I'm playing DMC3 again... it really upsets me on how much Capcom have really dropped the ball on this series since. So much wasted potential...

...for anyone interested, there's a prequel manga to the game that's actually fairly decent. I wish they would do more like it.

Now that I'm playing DMC3 again... it really upsets me on how much Capcom have really dropped the ball on this series since. So much wasted potential...

Yeah, seriously.

Replaying DMC1 is showing me all of these little touches that clearly date back to RE4 (documents about a castellan, the fade/zoom door transition, and even some shared sound effects and musical snippets). I'd love to see a book fully documenting RE4's development history.

Kayo-kun

...for anyone interested, there's a prequel manga to the game that's actually fairly decent. I wish they would do more like it.

What is it called?

Top Bottom