• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Weekly #180: The PS5 Pro Breakdown: GT7, TLOUp2, Ratchet, Horizon, Alan Wake 2 + More!

Zathalus

You wouldn't know it just listening to the audio. They spent majority of the segment talking about RT artifacts on the utensils which are 100x less prominent than the RT reflections on the ground or boost to overall scene IQ.

Edit: Hogwarts dining hall scene is 30fps.
Well those RT artifacts are quite distracting. It looks like the cutlery has been sprinkled in glitter. But that’s not the fault of the Pro, UE4 has a really rudimentary and frankly poor RT implementation.

XXL

Just so we get this out the way here are the Steam Stats for Aug 2024.
93gdq7.jpg

Most GPUs used on Steam are not even as powerful as the PS5, nevermind the PS5 Pro.

Everyone acts like every PC is a beast its just not even close to being true.
Boombox Shut Up GIF

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
They actually have a very level headed discussion about the benefits/cons with people thinking about PC gaming.
Unless your saying KyoZz is being paid by Microsoft or something lol.
Switching to PC is viable if you want to deal with a PC in general and miss out on exclusives like Astrobot

So in reality for many switching to PC is not the option

Those options consist of sticking with the current PS5 or upgrading to the pro

I am a huge PC gamer but imo just switch to PC shouldn't be part of this equation

XXL

Switching to PC is viable if you want to deal with a PC in general and miss out on exclusives like Astrobot

So in reality for many switching to PC is not the option

Those options consist of sticking with the current PS5 or upgrading to the pro

I am a huge PC gamer but imo just switch to PC shouldn't be part of this equation
Having both is the correct answer.

I love my PC and my PS5.

DJ12

YVrKZzX.png

WdU8PHy.jpeg

PSRR and ray tracing on another level.
How very dare you post against the (fake) narrative.

Night and day difference hand waved by DF.

They've obviously seen the fake outrage on the internet, mixed with genuine disappointment at the price also, and decided to pile on for donations and now clicks.

I expect something will be shown in a month or two and they'll do another saying "we were wrong" or something like that.

People talk like getting a PC is a better deal, good luck getting that IQ on your $700 PC

Thats without factoring in next gen AMD features that don't exist in the market yet for comparison.

Kangx

Overall. It is pretty positive lol.

Reading from text sound like a disaster. Like the old saying. Seeing is believing.

I have no doubt ps5 pro will have massive image quality advantage compare to the base consoles.

Can someone show Horizon compare to PC where the shadow doesn't flicker compare to the pc version? Alex did not mention that?

Radical_3d

Night and day difference hand waved by DF.

They've obviously seen the fake outrage on the internet, mixed with genuine disappointment at the price also, and decided to pile on for donations and now clicks.

I expect something will be shown in a month or two and they'll do another saying "we were wrong" or something like that.
What are you talking about? They are pretty pleased with the results. They’ve been the ones showcasing the reduction in shimmering with the FSR making zoom to those feathers. They’ve clarify their criticism towards Hogwarts saying is the aging engine, not the machine. They say this first batch of PSSR is promising. They are expecting more form the titles build with the Pro SKU in mind instead of this patches. Is like… have you even see the video?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I will gift 3 months Gold for anyone with a 4070 and HFW to provide performance readout of cutscene @34:02 set to native 4K DLAA DRS max settings uncapped fps.

Last edited:

HogIsland

Alex: 4070 "a good notch higher" than PS5 Pro. They're not apples to apples comparisons, but the 4070 will outperform the claimed 45% raster improvement in the Pro, and raytracing greatly favors nvidia.

akira__

Banned
Reading the comments of posters that push pc master race narrative, that enjoy negative rumors about a unreleased console.

And that can be fun banter, to have some back and forth. The price, the capabilities, etc.

But to see those posters enjoy the negativity while openly admitting they will themselves preorder that console is bizar.

If you think it's a shit product(which perfectly fine), then why humiliate yourself by buying that product?

Back in the day, warriors would stick to their lane.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I will gift 3 months Gold for anyone with a 4070 and HFW to provide performance readout of cutscene @34:02 set to native 4K DLAA DRS max settings with 60fps cap enabled. Thanks in advance.
What do you mean performance readout? It’s using DRS so it should be a locked 60. If you’re referring to pixel count, I don’t think many here are capable of doing that.

Topher

Gold Member
Reading the comments of posters that push pc master race narrative, enjoy negativity about unreleased console.

And that is fun, to have some back and forth. The price, the capabilities, etc.

But to see them enjoy the negativity while openly admitting they will themselves preorder that console is bizar.

If you think it's a shit product(which perfectly fine), then why humiliate yourself by buying that product?

Not sure who you are talking about here, but there are plenty of PC gamers who are taking the good with the bad. Someone does not have to blindly praise every element of what we are seeing here to also conclude that ultimately it is worth the purchase. People have the ability to have diverse thoughts and that doesn't make them a warrior and they are not subject to any "lanes".

Having said that, I've seen some posts that seem to be incredibly single minded about this and if those are the people you are talking about then I get it, but I haven't seen any of them say they are going to buy it. Maybe I missed it.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

But to see them enjoy the negativity while openly admitting they will themselves preorder that console is bizar.

I don’t like the price and I’ve lost control of my life. Is that a crime?

Last edited:

akira__

Banned
Not sure who you are talking about here, but there are plenty of PC gamers who are taking the good with the bad. Someone does not have to blindly praise every element of what we are seeing here to also conclude that ultimately it is worth the purchase.
No need to name and shame. You don't have to like the product, but actively push negativity, while buying the console.

adamsapple adamsapple has been consistent, and I'm even a bit disappointed that he hasn't been in attack mode. Please get well soon adamsapple adamsapple
I don’t like the price and I’ve lost control of my life. Is that a crime?
Don't get it twisted we are consumers, thus the best price would be free, anything above might be too much.

---
"Alan Wake is running 720p" take that sony ponies. Hahaha, pc is much better. Anyone know when can we preorder?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
60fps only footage provided I believe.

Oh good! So how is it bad that a game like Dragon's Dogma 2 is now running at 60 fps and has better image quality on the PS5 Pro, than what's currently on the PS5? I'm lost as to how this is a bad thing. At this point, I'm convinced some of yall are paid or unpaid actors to sow fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Darsxx82

YVrKZzX.png

WdU8PHy.jpeg

PSRR and ray tracing on another level.

We have to start from the fact that TOD is different. Surely that is the reason why they do not highlight the difference in Howarts.

GXcgHQfWIAAv9Dw

The difference in TOD affects the overall and visual appearance including reflections, colors and contrast. .

I believe that the basis for drawing conclusions is very scarce and insufficient and it is better to wait. In the case of DD2, for example, they don't know for sure if they are using RTGi mode on PS5pro.....

In general, different results depending on the game in the video. The results leave quite a few interesting questions. For example, about the computational cost of PSSR when it comes to leaving room to improve other assets

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

93gdq7.jpg

Most GPUs used on Steam are not even as powerful as the PS5, nevermind the PS5 Pro.

Boombox Shut Up GIF
Interesting so the average console gamer is running at higher res/framerate/settings than the average PC player? Another way to say it is more console players are enjoying a higher quality experience than most PC players?

I would be more interested to see of the copies sold on PC and Console, what is the breakdown of those users. So for example when MH Wilds comes out and its a 50/50 split (just for arguments sake) of the 50% that bought it on PC, what is the breakdown of specs on those systems

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Clear upgrade on Hogwarts props to them delivering that at 60FPS. Window looks massively better and the obvious raytracing reflection.
The tree is zoomed in probably 10x. In real gaming hardly anyone will notice.

The Hogwarts Pro vs PS5, there's much better reflection on the ground. But thats it from what I can see. The nicer colour (more yellowy and saturated) is due to time of day, since the X version has a similar shade.

Radical_3d

Interesting so the average console gamer is running at higher res/framerate/settings than the average PC player? Another way to say it is more console players are enjoying a higher quality experience than most PC players?
This is not new. It’s been like that for ages. “It runs better on PC” always have meant “it runs better in Leadbetter’s machine”.

Xyphie

There's already comfortably more users with a PS5 Pro or greater GPU using Steam than the PS5 Pro will sell. Ampere projects 13 million units by 2029.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 2.44%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 1.93%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 1.26%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 1.09%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 0.96%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 0.74%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 0.71%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 0.48%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 0.46%

These add up to around 10% of Steam users and I'd say they qualify as PS5 Pro-tier or better, I didn't even bother dipping into the 7900 XTXs etc until we have a more clear picture of the RT perf. Last time Valve gave monthly users in 2021 they had 132 million, and it certainly hasn't shrunk since.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
What do you mean performance readout? It’s using DRS so it should be a locked 60. If you’re referring to pixel count, I don’t think many here are capable of doing that.

Sorry, fixed. I meant uncapped. Uncapped 60 that way we see how often it hugs 60 or even possible dip which would indicate lower bounds. This in turn would indicate DFs findings aren't native pixel based (whether or not it "looks 4k") but rather an issue/comparison of the game's TAA method vs DLAA.

Zathalus

There's already comfortably more users with a PS5 Pro or greater GPU using Steam than the PS5 Pro will sell. Ampere projects 13 million units by 2029.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 2.44%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 1.93%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 1.26%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 1.09%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 0.96%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 0.74%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 0.71%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 0.48%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 0.46%

These add up to around 10% of Steam users and I'd say they qualify as PS5 Pro-tier or better, I didn't even bother dipping into the 7900 XTXs etc until we have a more clear picture of the RT perf. Last time Valve gave monthly users in 2021 they had 132 million, and it certainly hasn't shrunk since.
Estimates put Valve numbers at 160-200 million monthly users depending on if you look at the peak online users or the peak users in game number.

Sorry, fixed. I meant uncapped. Uncapped 60 that way we see how often it hugs 60 or even possible dip which would indicate lower bounds. This in turn would indicate DFs findings aren't native pixel based (whether or not it "looks 4k") but rather an issue/comparison of the game's TAA method vs DLAA.
I don’t believe that’s possible as you have to enable a target frame rate for DRS to function. You can do native DLAA with no DRS but that would be the full 4K image and certainly under 60fps.

XXL

Another way to say it is more console players are enjoying a higher quality experience than most PC players?
Yes, but it's more complicated than that.

There are more PC worldwide and Steam has a ton of monthly users. So a large number of them have systems as capable as a PS5, I was talking with an poster the other day and he estimated around 65M. Which ironically is about the same amount of PS5s sold.

But overall yes, a PS5 is more capable than most PCs using Steam. Nevermind the PS5 Pro.

sachos

The TLoU2 side by side clearly shows how PSSR Quality can improve image quality over native 4K on the left so i think it is interesting in that sense, i wish they would have shown the improvement over native 4K that we already saw here in that Ellie running part. It shows the true potential of it and thats why im disappointed in the implementation shown in the other games like Horizon and specially stuff like Alan Wake 2 when they are using the same base resolutions as the base PS5.
Im also disappointed in the Ratchet implementation, cant they really do original Fidelity settings in 4K Quality without needing to use Performance RT settings?
Whats good news is that it looks like it is way better than FSR and that is a big plus. Lets hope Sony can keep improving it and they made it so the improvements apply retroactively to games that use it, that would be awesome.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I don’t believe that’s possible as you have to enable a target frame rate for DRS to function. You can do native DLAA with no DRS but that would be the full 4K image and certainly under 60fps.

Right so if DRS is on and it stays at 60 flat, can we agree it is running internally at lowest bounds? Thus making it a comparison of AA technique and not necessarily how close it is to native 4k?

Zathalus

Right so if DRS is on and it stays at 60 flat, can we agree it is running internally at lowest bounds? Thus making it a comparison of AA technique and not necessarily how close it is to native 4k?
I would say lowest bounds. It should be lower than native 4K certainly but I don’t think it will drop quite that much.

Bojji

Lots of people don’t like PC gaming and have a massive library of PlayStation games. This offers a good image upgrade for them if they are so inclined.

Yes but only in games with patches or new games. Other than that in games with DRS, rest will remain with the same IQ.

93gdq7.jpg

Boombox Shut Up GIF

Majority of PC gamers on this forum have parts better than PS5. You can also say that majority of console players in the world have consoles weaker than PS5...

What's the deal with broke people trying to tell us what to do with our money?

If this console sells well EVERYONE will be fucked next gen.

Last edited:

RobRSG

What's the deal with broke people trying to tell us what to do with our money?
I’d say he is financially conscious, as we don’t have access to his bank statement.

A broke person would buy this by impulse, regret, and finally complain that life is hard on social media.

Top Bottom