• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Weekly #180: The PS5 Pro Breakdown: GT7, TLOUp2, Ratchet, Horizon, Alan Wake 2 + More!

800€ for this, close to 1k if you want a disk drive

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Guys seriously, it's time to switch to PC.
I own a 7900XTX/7800X3D, and yet I'm still buying the PS5 Pro.

Not gonna play another game in the state of FF7 remake again in the state that it was on the PC

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Right so if DRS is on and it stays at 60 flat, can we agree it is running internally at lowest bounds? Thus making it a comparison of AA technique and not necessarily how close it is to native 4k?
Nope. Console DRS and PC DRS are often very different and it changes on a game to game basis.

We need to know how the DRS works to get a definitive conclusion and even then, if they don’t behave the same, it’s useless.

Last edited:

demigod

No need to name and shame. You don't have to like the product, but actively push negativity, while buying the console.

adamsapple adamsapple has been consistent, and I'm even a bit disappointed that he hasn't been in attack mode. Please get well soon adamsapple adamsapple

Don't get it twisted we are consumers, thus the best price would be free, anything above might be too much.

---
"Alan Wake is running 720p" take that sony ponies. Hahaha, pc is much better. Anyone know when can we preorder?
PC is definitely better. In fact it is so strong, you can just use the GPU's RAM, don't even need System RAM.

If this console sells well EVERYONE will be fucked next gen.
Even if the price was $999, I still wouldn't care. Speak for yourself not everyone. Some of us drop money on 4080's and 4090's without blinking an eye.

I’d say he is financially conscious, as we don’t have access to his bank statement.

A broke person would buy this by impulse, regret, and finally complain that life is hard on social media.
Wrong, a broke person wouldn't have access to the money to buy it and instead would cry about how it was so expensive. It's not an impulse purchase because you have almost 2 months lead time from announce to release.

Zathalus

HFW DRS scales down to performance level, so 1080p for 4k target.

MmNVdJv.jpeg
Yes, but considering the 4070 is usually in the high 40s with native 4K DLAA and 4K DLSS Quality is in the 60ish + range I’d wager the rendering resolution is probably around the 1440p-1500p range. Probably higher in the less intensive areas. I doubt dropping all the way to 1080p would happen on a 4070.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
What's the deal with broke people trying to tell us what to do with our money?

Steve Brule What GIF

Sorry but my 4090 is shitting all over your PS5 Pro. Do not confuse my disinterest or my advice with poverty my friend. Especially when I can buy a PS5 Pro every week and still live the good life.

+ just so you think more the next time you post, a picture of when I received everything, just for you :messenger_blowing_kiss:

GKQAG7q.jpeg

Darsxx82

The tree is zoomed in probably 10x. In real gaming hardly anyone will notice.

The Hogwarts Pro vs PS5, there's much better reflection on the ground. But thats it from what I can see. The nicer colour (more yellowy and saturated) is due to time of day, since the X version has a similar shade.

I wouldn't dare say they're much better. Lighting has a lot to do with it and is fully linked to what the surfaces reflect.

The appropriate thing would be to see a 1:1 comparison. Perhaps that would explain why DF was not as impressed (as someone who was put both captures without context could be) and they focused on discussing the aspect of the noise effect in the reflections.

As I said, it's better to wait for the final games with more detailed analysis.

akira__

Banned
Steve Brule What GIF

Sorry but my 4090 is shitting all over your PS5 Pro. Do not confuse my disinterest or my advice with poverty my friend. Especially when I can buy a PS5 Pro every week and still live the good life.

+ just so you think more the next time you post, a picture of when I received everything, just for you :messenger_blowing_kiss:

GKQAG7q.jpeg
Oh no, intel.

No joke, check if you change your order.

> No Fix For Intel's Crashing 13th and 14th Gen CPUs - Any Damage is Permanent

Edit:

adamsapple adamsapple certified post.

Last edited:

TLOUp2, Ratchet, Horizon, Alan Wake 2​

stopped reading there. 4 games that i have absolutely no interest whatsoever in replaying (&, no, my dislike of them had nothing to do with either the quality of the graphics &/or their performance)...

Steve Brule What GIF

GKQAG7q.jpeg
Lol, talk about the irony... Telling people not to buy a ps5 pro but wasting money on the 4090. How do I know the 4090 is waste of money? I owned one and posted about it so check my post history. Sold it and purchased a 4080 super..... If you want to flex pc parts, find someone else because you can't flex on me guy.... Also, imagine trying to flex with a 13700k lol. Step up to the 7800x3d or 7950x3d then come talk to me.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yes, but considering the 4070 is usually in the high 40s with native 4K DLAA and 4K DLSS Quality is in the 60ish + range I’d wager the rendering resolution is probably around the 1440p-1500p range. Probably higher in the less intensive areas. I doubt dropping all the way to 1080p would happen on a 4070.

Perhaps, but my contention with this particular analysis was that this much closer to an anti aliasing comparison than it is to a native rendering comparison, which is what Alex framed it as by saying the PS5 version didn't look "4k 4k" (not a typo).

Zuzu

Looks like PSSR is not doing ray reconstruction like DLSS can do. This needs to be a priority for future iterations of PSSR because the RT reflections are rendering at 1080p in Gran Turismo 7 and without ray reconstruction it's easier to see the low resolution.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Lol, talk about the irony... Telling people not to buy a ps5 pro but wasting money on the 4090. How do I know the 4090 is waste of money? I owned one and posted about it so check my post history. Sold it and purchased a 4080 super..... If you want to flex pc parts, find someone else because you can't flex on me guy.... Also, imagine trying to flex with a 13700k lol. Step up to the 7800x3d or 7950x3d then come talk to me.
Depends when you bought it. Now that it's twice the price of a 4080 at $1800, it's terrible. Back when it was $1600 and the 4080 $1200? It was the much better value. Still awful, but the 4080 at the time was abysmal.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Lol, talk about the irony... Telling people not to buy a ps5 pro but wasting money on the 4090. How do I know the 4090 is waste of money?
Dude, you are the one on your high horse looking down at people. And I don't just game on my PC so a PS5 is really no use for me.

I owned one and posted about it so check my post history. Sold it and purchased a 4080 super.....
Good for you? Or not? I don't care, really.

If you want to flex pc parts, find someone else because you can't flex on me guy.... Also, imagine trying to flex with a 13700k lol. Step up to the 7800x3d or 7950x3d then come talk to me.
Nah, I just don't like people like you calling other poor. I was poor once, it's not easy and you comment was stupid. Take the L and move on.

kevboard

so, PSSR seems to not quite be on the level of XeSS, but far superior to FSR2.

the fact that they were so easily able to count the native resolution seems to suggest that the upscaler is very conservative and prioritises avoiding artifacting over adding details.

the overall performance improvements in these games seem to be as I expected from the specs. so aside from the PSSR upsampling the improvements to the rest of the image are very small, and are more like ironing out the rough edges instead of adding massive improvements

bundylove

The more you tell me to take the covid shot the more i deny it.

The more you tell me to vote a xertain way i vote the opposite.

The more you censor certian news the more i believe those news.

The more you pay off people and influencers not to get a pro the more i want it.

Its counter productive

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Steve Brule What GIF

GKQAG7q.jpeg

BRO.............did you just post a picture of you buying $2800 of PC parts in a PS5 Pro thread?! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You PC Master Race guys are literally nuts! What are we doing here?

Last edited:
Dude, you are the one on your high horse looking down at people. And I don't just game on my PC so a PS5 is really no use for me.

Good for you? Or not? I don't care, really.

Nah, I just don't like people like you calling other poor. I was poor once, it's not easy and you comment was stupid. Take the L and move on.
You're the one who should take the L and move on. You're the one trying to tell people what to do with their money instead of minding your business. On top of that, you were suggesting that people should move to PC which would actually cost even more money. If you really cared, you'd suggest most people buy a series S. Stop the charade and your fake "defender of the less fortunate" while attempting to flex with a 4090. You're just spewing a bunch of nonsense.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
And this my friends is another reason why some people are going out of there way to stop people from buying the PS5 Pro. Pure agenda-based posting.

I love seeing the last breaths of Xbox fandom along with the skeletons of SEGA fans trying to secure any victory over Playstation.

Oh look its ExPenSive!!! ConSolEs ArE dead!! Come to PC. Hahaha

Sad but funny, cause I know Pro will succeed, PS6 will succeed. Im just enjoying this 🤣

demigod

Steve Brule What GIF

GKQAG7q.jpeg
Weird how you can afford a PS5 Pro every week but can't be bothered to change out that CPU for a better one.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah....but he was replying to this bullshit take that buying or not buying PS5 Pro is a direct reflection on someone's personal finances. That's a stupid narrative.

We are assuming that pic is his. But even if it is......so what? How do we know he didn't put that $2,800 worth of PC parts on a credit card? How do we know he didn't spend his family's mortgage money on it? Showing that picture makes no sense.

All because the PS5 Pro is $100 more than we all thought it'll be?............The FUD on the PS5 Pro is starting to jump the shark at this point.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Steve Brule What GIF

GKQAG7q.jpeg
Dude, this picture just increased PS5Pro value ten folds . Hahaha 😆

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Weird how you can afford a PS5 Pro every week but can't be bothered to change out that CPU for a better one.
Everything is running at 100+FPS so yeah I don't see the need for now. Maybe the next generation of CPU.

You're the one who should take the L and move on. You're the one trying to tell people what to do with their money instead of minding your business. On top of that, you were suggesting that people should move to PC which would actually cost even more money. If you really cared, you'd suggest most people buy a series S. Stop the charade and your fake "defender of the less fortunate" while attempting to flex with a 4090. You're just spewing a bunch of nonsense.
Lmao this really triggered you. I can't control what anyone is doing with their money. I'm just suggesting ;)

If you are happy with sub 1080p in 2024, good for you (and everyone else!).

FrankWza

Steve Brule What GIF

GKQAG7q.jpeg
Wearing Vivek Shah GIF by grown-ish

Steve Brule What GIF

GKQAG7q.jpeg
shawn michaels wrestling GIF by WWE

PSSR this!

shawn michaels dx GIF by WWE

67% bigger GPU!!!11
triple h wrestling GIF by WWE

Advanced RT!

The Undertaker Sport GIF by WWE

see you next week xD

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah....but he was replying to this bullshit take that buying or not buying PS5 Pro is a direct reflection on someone's personal finances. That's a stupid narrative.

The average PS5 Pro buyer:

77d1f41d-7137-4d01-80cc-95c2fdb2092f_text.gif

We are assuming that pic is his. But even if it is......so what? How do we know he didn't put that $2,800 worth of PC parts on a credit card? How do we know he didn't spend his family's mortgage money on it?

This thread is delivering.

Topher

Gold Member
We are assuming that pic is his. But even if it is......so what? How do we know he didn't put that $2,800 worth of PC parts on a credit card? How do we know he didn't spend his family's mortgage money on it? Showing that picture makes no sense.

All because the PS5 Pro is $100 more than we all thought it'll be?............The FUD on the PS5 Pro is starting to jump the shark at this point.

I get it. I don't agree that PC is a viable alternative to PS5 Pro at all. I just think we can make better arguments than people's personal finances.

Everything is running at 100+FPS so yeah I don't see the need for now. Maybe the next generation of CPU.

Lmao this really triggered you. I can't control what anyone is doing with their money. I'm just suggesting ;)

If you are happy with sub 1080p in 2024, good for you (and everyone else!).
Rofl, imagine trying to pivot and claim that I'm the one who got triggered when you were crying about how I called people poor.... Of course, I called you broke and no one else which is a drastic difference from being poor...

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Rofl, imagine trying to pivot and claim that I'm the one who got triggered when you were crying about how I called people poor.... Of course, I called you broke and no one else which is a drastic difference from being poor...
Read your first response to me again. My username is not "broke people".

sachos

Nothing has been hand waved away by DF.
I do think they could have spent more time showing the differences in TLoU2 Fidelity 4k vs PSSR Quality and how PSSR achieves better detail than even native 4K like we saw in the other threads here.
About Hogwarts did they mention what resolution was it rendering from? I did not catch it if they did.

kevboard

Ah yes, pixel counting your way to the native resolution of a upscaled image./s

upscaled is a misnomer. XeSS, DLSS, PSSR, FSR2, none of them "upscale". they create an image through a mix of pixel jittering, motion data and previous frame information.
nothing there gets upscaled, and the underlying "native" resolution always shows through due to various picture elements that either fail to be properly upsampled or due to elements that deliberately don't get touched at all or as much, usually to avoid artifacts

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Only about 20 mins in but watching the footage on my 4k screen. PSSR looks great! The jump from FSR is absolutely palpable. These games I would happily play in my living room where we before FSR2 games always looked garbled. AI upscaling is so fucking good

Top Bottom