• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Weekly #180: The PS5 Pro Breakdown: GT7, TLOUp2, Ratchet, Horizon, Alan Wake 2 + More!

jm89

The average PS5 Pro buyer:

77d1f41d-7137-4d01-80cc-95c2fdb2092f_text.gif
I mean

Kangx

Oh boy. The Pro is meant to compete with the base consoles is term of image quality not the PC. It is OK that PSSR is not at the level of of DLSS right now, and I don't expect it to be or ever will be at the same level because of pc nature.

If it get to 90 percent of DLSS, then everybody will be happy with the result. Also, Richard brought up a good point regarding to sitting distant for console gamers, so perceive image quality is even better compare to sitting on a desk close to the monitor.

Keep in mind that this is the first version of PSSR, AI upscale will improve greatly over time, so I have no doubt the Ps5 pro image quality will be transformative compare to FSR on the base consoles when we have this on our hand come November, and it is even greater in the future.

What is up with people here being bitter. The Ps5 pro is clearly target the hardcore console players especially Playstation fans. Let people spend their money how they want. To me this is worth an upgrade over the ps5 just for the image quality alone.

akira__

Banned
upscaled is a misnomer. XeSS, DLSS, PSSR, FSR2, none of them "upscale". they create an image through a mix of pixel jittering, motion data and previous frame information.
nothing there gets upscaled, and the underlying "native" resolution always shows through due to various picture elements that either fail to be properly upsampled or due to elements that deliberately don't get touched at all or as much

Sure bob.

But let's see what DF said about pixel counting just a few years ago.

----
Timestamped below.

Summary:

- Richard's new year resolution is to end pixel counting in face/offs.
- To Richard, the final Output is more important than counting edges.
- John is looking into different ways to showcase differences in image quality.
- With checkerboarding, TSR, DLSS, and FSR, there is really no need to look at the native resolution.
- John calls Face/offs involving counting edges silly in higher end games that are pushing 4k.
- John brings up the switch and that they will continue counting pixels in Switch games because the resolution is so low.

Last edited:
Just so we get this out the way here are the Steam Stats for Aug 2024.
93gdq7.jpg

Most GPUs used on Steam are not even as powerful as the PS5, nevermind the PS5 Pro.

Everyone acts like every PC is a beast its just not even close to being true.
Boombox Shut Up GIF

Just get it on pc/just get a pc is the dumbest thing I've ever heard on this board it literally implies i can just walk into best buy with 700$ and say hey sir I'll take one pc please for 4k max details for the next 4 years 😅

Or that anyone just happens to have a 4k gaming pc laying around they didn't know about 😅 just get it on pc! 🤪

Last edited:

Fabieter

Just get it on pc/just get a pc is the dumbest thing I've ever heard on this board it literally implies i can just walk into best buy with 700$ and say hey sir I'll take one pc please for 4k ma x details for the next 4 years 😅😅

It's not like the pro is doing 4k max settings now let alone for the next four years.

DJ12

Sure bob.

----
Timestamped below.

Summary:

- With checkerboarding, TSR, DLSS, and FSR, there is really no need to look at the native resolution.
- John calls Face/offs involving counting edges silly in higher end games that are pushing 4k.
- John brings up the switch and that they will continue counting pixels in Switch games because the resolution is so low.

No one could predict ps5 games looking better despite having a lower res (in some cases) back then in fairness.

Bojji

Case ended? Richard is the one that made the "case" that 4070 was the closest GPU to PS5 Pro in the first place. They changed that point here. You think they can't change it again once they get their hands on the hardware?

4070 is the closest GPU because 3070ti has super low vram number, otherwise it would be nearly 100% equivalent in power. They said in this video that it's like underclocked 4070...

Just to confirm you are not going to buy ps5 pro right?

I already have 100% faster CPU, 35% faster GPU and regular PS5 with the disc drive. Why would I need one?

Last edited:
Alan Wake 2 with RT is an extremely demanding game. On the RTX4080S with max settings, I had to run it at 4K DLSS performance (1080p upscaled) to get 45-80fps, and I also used FG to get a minimum of 70fps (the game ran between 70-110fps with FG and feel perfectly smooth). IMO the 840p on the PS5P isnt that bad if you just know how demanding this game is and AI upscaling should still give acceptable image image quality (4K DLSS performance looks much better on my 1440p monitor than 1440p native / DLAA).

As for PS5Pro performance estimations we know for a fact the PS5P GPU will be at least as fast as 7700XT (number of CUs, and flops) and this card is only 13% slower than the RTX4070 according to techpowerup benchmark chart. With RDNA4 features on top of that, the PS5Pro should be much faster than the 7700XT, so in my opinion comparisons to the RTX4070 are fair.
oLpXHbw.jpeg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
4070 is the closest GPU because 3070ti has super low vram number, otherwise it would be nearly 100% equivalent in power. They said in this video that it's like underclocked 4070...

And PS5 Pro has frame gen whereas 3070ti does not. Correct?

kevboard

Sure bob.

----
Timestamped below.

Summary:

not sure what you want to say here. all of what they said is true... but coming up with a way to rate subjective image quality is hard, and FSR2, with how absolutely dogshit it is, made this even harder to do.
we are at a point with FSR2, where it gets abused to such an extent, that the image quality is worse than last gen games, which is absolutely unprecedented I think.

also, for comparing 2 versions of the same cosnole, and to judge the improvements you can expect, pixel counting actually makes sense to figure out what developers do with the hardware

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Pro can use FSR3 frame gen just like 3070ti (and regular PS5). There is no info about PSSR FG so far.

But it is not going to use FSR3 frame gen in conjunction with DLSS. Isn't it one or the other?

Correct me if I'm wrong but PS5 would use AMD equivalent frame-gen, and FSR3 frame-gen is possible on even 20xx series GPU's

I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sure bob.

----
Timestamped below.

Summary:

whoops GIF

shamoomoo

DLSS is much more mature so that should be expected. PSSR will mature as well. AI upscaling is not like some static piece of hardware that never changes.

I don't know who this "many" you are talking about here is. The fact that PSSR even comes close to DLSS is massive positive surprise for me at this point. I've said many time that PSSR may be the tech that sells me on this thing.

But you seem dead on determined to come to conclusions right here, right now. Again...I think it is best to reserve judgement. But you are free to write this thing off and do what you want with your money, obviously, if this isn't for you.
Similar to Nvidia, Sony's fist party studios do/did have novel attempts at anti aliasing,so we don't know if PSSR is something completely different or based on prior attempts of AA on the various PlayStation consoles.

akira__

Banned
I'm assuming the subtitle in the first pic is meant to say more 'raw' GPU performance?'

We've got all the war GPU performances we need in this thread.
Freudian slip, console war gpu.

I already have 100% faster CPU, 35% faster GPU and regular PS5 with the disc drive. Why would I need one?
Finally a real one. Carry on then.

Edit:

Still remember that time where FSR was the best according to some posters. There was this little game called Wukong. FSR was the best thing under the sun.

Last edited:

Bojji

so, PSSR seems to not quite be on the level of XeSS, but far superior to FSR2.

the fact that they were so easily able to count the native resolution seems to suggest that the upscaler is very conservative and prioritises avoiding artifacting over adding details.

the overall performance improvements in these games seem to be as I expected from the specs. so aside from the PSSR upsampling the improvements to the rest of the image are very small, and are more like ironing out the rough edges instead of adding massive improvements

It leaves some edges completely not anti aliased and image is oversharpened. I bet they will improve it with time.

But it is not going to use FSR3 frame gen in conjunction with DLSS. Isn't it one or the other?

I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

You can use (in games with FSR 3.1) DLSS in combination with FSR3.1 frame gen on 3070ti, in theory there is nothing stopping developers in doing the same with PSSR-FSR3.1 combo.

Killjoy-NL

Steve Brule What GIF

Sorry but my 4090 is shitting all over your PS5 Pro. Do not confuse my disinterest or my advice with poverty my friend. Especially when I can buy a PS5 Pro every week and still live the good life.

+ just so you think more the next time you post, a picture of when I received everything, just for you :messenger_blowing_kiss:

GKQAG7q.jpeg
That pic is probably why you sound poor all the time.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This dude going through X looking for "gotchas" without even reading the article...

Never Mind Omg GIF by Auto Discount Location

Go play some videogames bro.

Actually, I read the article well before I saw OP's post. Did you? And which section of the article would undercut my response to OP suggesting 4090 would have no problems running future games maxed out at 4k60? FFXVI is just one example. There are a handful of others as well.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Actually, I read the article well before I saw OP's post. Did you? And which section of the article would undercut my response to OP suggesting 4090 would have no problems running future games maxed out at 4k60? FFXVI is just one example. There are a handful of others as well.

This one:

Now the good news here is that FF16 supports NVIDIA DLSS 3. By simply enabling DLSS 3 Frame Generation with DLAA, you can get framerates over 80fps at all times. And, in my opinion, this is the best way to experience this new FF game on this high-end GPU.

Thanks to DLAA, you’ll get a better image quality. Then, with DLSS 3 FG, you’ll get a smooth gaming experience. I also did not notice any major input latency issues or visual artifacts. Controls and camera movement were responsive. So that’s another big plus for DLSS 3 FG.
Doesn't even need downscaling.

Top Bottom