• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DHS Secretary John Kelly: Marijuana Is Not a Factor in the Drug War’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said Sunday that marijuana is not a factor in the war on drugs, arguing that the biggest problems are found in other substances.

“Marijuana is not a factor in the drug war,” Kelly told NBC News’ Chuck Todd on Meet the Press when asked how marijuana legalization would impede or help this fight. “It’s three things. Methamphetamine. Almost all produced in Mexico. Heroin. Virtually all produced in Mexico. And cocaine that comes up from further south.”

The solution, said Kelly, won’t come from arrests over drug use.

“Marijuana is not a factor in the drug war,” Kelly told NBC News’ Chuck Todd on Meet the Press when asked how marijuana legalization would impede or help this fight. “It’s three things. Methamphetamine. Almost all produced in Mexico. Heroin. Virtually all produced in Mexico. And cocaine that comes up from further south.”

The solution, said Kelly, won’t come from arrests over drug use.

“The solution is a comprehensive drug demand reduction program in the United States that involves every man and woman of goodwill,” he told Todd.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/dhs-secretary-john-kelly-marijuana-185538214.html

Tripon

Ok. Good. Now implement some laws that back up your talk.

He's actually asking for that. He wants Congress to pass new laws to focus on what he considers more harmful substances. Also to take away boarder security away from his department or something. But I read that in a different article, so maybe I'm misremembering what I read.

wedca

Colorado has essentially proved to the country that legalizing marijuana has substantial benefits both from a tax angle and from a crime reduction angle.

pa22word

Do we have some reliable stats on this? I find it extremely difficult to believe "almost all" of America's Meth is produced in Mexico.

American manufacturers of meth were really trashed pretty hard in early to mid 00s. The dea and local enforcement really started bashing heads in around that time. I remember back in the late 90s early 00s you could find a meth den or two in every trailer park in the south. It's much rarer now. It wouldn't shock me if it just moved down south where enforcement is harder.

KDR_11k

Another one who mistakes the war on drugs for a health initiative, the point is to oppress blacks and enable civil forfeiture (AKA police just confiscating valuables because they feel like it and bolstering their budgets with that).

andthebeatgoeson

But if weed is decriminalized, how will all these for profit prisons stay in business?

'And then told them that we wouldn't use weed in the war on drugs..'

C10382-15A.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Tripon

Another one who mistakes the war on drugs for a health initiative, the point is to oppress blacks and enable civil forfeiture (AKA police just confiscating valuables because they feel like it and bolstering their budgets with that).

It is a health initiative, it's also a way for the Government to oppress people. It's not one or the other.

Parch

Logical. With legalization happening, they can't continue to treat marijuana like other drugs nationally.

Canada is starting to consider things for pending legalization. Driving while stoned, underage usage, etc. Laws need making.

Logical. With legalization happening, they can't continue to treat marijuana like other drugs nationally.

Canada is starting to consider things for pending legalization. Driving while stoned, underage usage, etc. Laws need making.

Yep. And even those laws aren't going to be perfect, but they are a start. This is only the beginning. With Canada going ahead with legalization, it really should start to push legalization elsewhere too. It's only logical path to take with it.

There was a time Michigan was the meth manufacturing capitol but thanks to NAFTA we lost that industry too!

My cousin's ex-husband was in prison for a few years due to meth and apparently having what was considered a mobile lab in his trunk, I think he got arrested for it before too. Meth is a real motherfucker.

Too bad it doesn't matter as long as the DEA continues with their bullshit against marijuana. There's also Jeff Sessions, fuck Jeff Sessions.

So he's saying the solution won't come from arrests of users of any if those drugs right? And it comes from demand reduction/rehabilitation/counseling and to treat all addictions as a health issue instead of making arrests? Not just weed? If so good man. Finally a step forward in dealing with drugs in this country if he can get some laws passes like reduced/eliminated penalties and support for rehab programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom