• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

VALKYRAY

Banned
That's great for you, but it would be wrong to assume that just about anyone else is going to have similar luck. It's the lottery, of course some people win each time, but the majority wastes their money/time.
That's the whole point. People love the gambling in diablo2. When you farming for legendaries that's gambling. When you identify a legendary, do you fell the thrill that you might get a jackpot? I do, and I love it. What's your purpose to rush p100? For me it's the max magic find, so I can gamble with higher winning chance. This game is all about gambling. All about RNG

Rufus

That's the whole point. People love the gambling in diablo2. When you farming for legendaries that's gambling. When you identify a legendary, do you fell the thrill that you might get a jackpot? I do, and I love it. What's your purpose to rush p100? For me it's the max magic find, so I can gamble with higher winning chance. This game is all about gambling. All about RNG
I'm at P62 on my barb and frankly I stopped giving a shit. Yes, I do feel the rush when something drops, though its severely lessened by my chances to get anything worth a damn. Most rares aren't even worth picking up. There comes a time when you have to step back and accept that you're wasting your time, like those old ladies with their buckets full of coins at the slot machines in Vegas. As good as the game feels (with a melee character at least), there's not enough to hold interest once you realize the futility of perfecting your gear.
I barely play the game any more as a consequence and when I do it's on my current hardcore character. Once I'm done shlepping her through Inferno I'm going to take a break until the expansion comes out.

You're also farming EXP. Something doing uber runs over and over again gets you very little of. I would like to get to P100 for several reasons. Mostly gear related. I would love to get rid of the red gem in my helm for a purple. I would love to swap out my helfire ring.

Look, I've already stated that if you really love farming ubers then have at it. However it's not terrible to suggest that he's got a BIS helfire ring in which farming more ubers to get a marginally better one isn't worth his time.

butts

You guys rock, thanks for all the info. Glad my Inna's helm is good, that and the daibo are the only self-found pieces on that character. I'll drop the 2 hander for sure and then focus on arcane res for my OWE resist.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
@ Butts: Hold on to Inna's 4pc - it's pretty much mandatory for tempest rush if you want to try that. Inna's reach is indeed garbage though - skorn is cheap and awesome.

I'm curious, what exactly makes his Inna's Reach garbage? I'm looking at it, and honestly it looks pretty damn awesome to me. And I don't see why a Skorn would be better for a monk...?

Shifty76

I'm curious, what exactly makes his Inna's Reach garbage? I'm looking at it, and honestly it looks pretty damn awesome to me. And I don't see why a Skorn would be better for a monk...?

Skorn comes with high damage, crit damage, a socket and 250+ dex (for a dex one) by default. Plus, it's slow attack speed is great for tempest rush (spirit consumed = 10 x attack speed, so 2.0 attack speed would be 20 spirit/sec which is unsustainable)

As far as Inna's Reach goes yours is actually fairly decent, however no socket means you're missing potentially +100% crit damage, which is huge. Even a bad skorn is going to have 1200 dps, socket and 150+ crit damage, so minimum 250% crit potential. That's way more dps than your Inna's will get, even though your 1339 looks higher. Plus, faster attack speed means you're consuming more spirit/sec when using TR.

turnbuckle

What shifty said. An average Skorn has the potential of 250+ crit damage.

And while better Skorns might be pricey, it's not too difficult to get 2 1-handed weapons that'll work much better for nearly every build than the Inna's Reach.

Outside of Manticore and Skorn I can't think of a reason to equip a set or legendary 2-handed weapon. It's not likely you're going to find a rare 2-hander that'll compare either.

heh, shifty edited in some more stuff that basically made my post completely redundant lol

Tarazet

His Inna's Reach has several major problems with it:

1) No socket
2) No life steal
3) Slow attack speed means his LOH pieces aren't helping him as much
4) IAS means it can't be used as a Tempest Rush weapon
5) No defensive stats, besides life on spirit from the set bonus
6) Low CD roll
7) Should have at least 1400 damage to be even worth looking at

All of these problems can be solved by a LS Skorn with a socket, but they have to roll amazing. As for that one, I've made brimstones out of better Inna's Reaches. And Skorns for that matter. For the vast majority of Monks, it's better to run with two daggers/fists/swords.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
His Inna's Reach has several major problems with it:

1) No socket
2) No life steal
3) Slow attack speed means his LOH pieces aren't helping him as much
4) IAS means it can't be used as a Tempest Rush weapon
5) No defensive stats, besides life on spirit from the set bonus
6) Low CD roll
7) Should have at least 1400 damage to be even worth looking at

All of these problems can be solved by a LS Skorn with a socket, but they have to roll amazing. As for that one, I've made brimstones out of better Inna's Reaches. And Skorns for that matter. For the vast majority of Monks, it's better to run with two daggers/fists/swords.

Man, there needs to be a Diablo 3 for dummies book or website or something. I wonder how many great items I vendored simply because I had no idea what I was looking at?

Like, take my wizard for example:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mengy-1287/hero/1409641

Yeah, I'm a newb, and yeah, I haven't even beaten Inferno Diablo yet, but I'm sure everyone here can rip my character apart and and find a dozen things wrong with every item I'm wearing. Feel free by the way, I've got a tad over 1 million gold in the bank, so keep that in mind when you are telling me to buy average upgrades for several million a piece!

I guess I'm just what you call a casual player, who just plays now and then for fun and doesn't bother to spend hours pouring over the little details. Ignorance can be bliss I suppose...

RivalCore

Thanks! Here is my monk currently:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Titan-1878/hero/10584594

I assume I should keep the Innas helm and maybe the pants and rework the rest? I was using the 4-piece to get the almost free sweeping wind but it probably isnt worth it.

Actually I'll just chime in again. I'm not sure what your budget is, but here's some points to aim for.

Your helm and pants are fine (for the moment). You'll obviously need to upgrade them in the future to do higher MP level, so you'll need AR or Vit on your pants. Likewise with your helm.

I recommend dropping the Inna's belt straight away. It's a slight DPS gain, but a good rare with high Dex, Vit, Resists and a Life% bonus will allow you to swap out your Vit gems for Dex. You have massive amounts of Vit so you can afford to drop some of it in favour of Life%.

Go dual wield. A main hand with dex/socket/crit damage and an off hand with dex/socket/LoH will drastically increase your DPS. You'll also be faster at delivering critical hits, sustaining life and generating spirit.

The Occulus ring can go. Likewise with your amulet. Jewellery is the second source of DPS, besides the weapons, so try to get Average damage (40+), high crit chance, dex and whatever else you can get on it. Try to get critical damage on the amulet since it's capable of rolling a high percentage.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Just a random reminder since we'll probably be grouping up again with the new exp scaling - here's what the exp sharing distance looks like on the minimap:

bQfvz.jpg

The minimap actually shows it with that foggy outer area, but you have to know to look for it.

i3ce5qR.png

From this old beta thread - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4015344228

Yea definitely, I'll be on from like 1130pm-4am est, for anyone else too. Thats usually when I play. Hopefully I can get some Ammy recipes and crafts tonight.

Riggs

Banned
3PM PST got to be fucking kidding me. I took a 3 hour nap and just woke up at 4:49 PM EST to give them roughly another hour, and they need another? Love this game hah.

Oh, I'll probably play for a bit. Didn't play any on the PTR, so the new stuff should be exciting at least for a bit.

Never made any Hellfire Rings since the grind is ridiculously long (or maybe I just had bad luck.) Only collected something like 2-3 keys, not enough to even open the portal to the ubers, let alone get any organs.

Want to find out if I nabbed two decent deals.

Had a 88M bid on 5.5 Crit Chance Lacunis with High Str and Med Vit 9% AS with Pickup Radius that was going to end during downtime, although I didnt think it'd last this long so I only looked so far in hours, probably could have found more stuff but was mad tired.

I also bid 100k on a legendary weapon with a socket with an emerald star in it. Cheap Star/Brimstone for me. Pretty sure I won that one. Love finding free gems!

Tarazet

Man, there needs to be a Diablo 3 for dummies book or website or something. I wonder how many great items I vendored simply because I had no idea what I was looking at?

Like, take my wizard for example:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mengy-1287/hero/1409641

Yeah, I'm a newb, and yeah, I haven't even beaten Inferno Diablo yet, but I'm sure everyone here can rip my character apart and and find a dozen things wrong with every item I'm wearing. Feel free by the way, I've got a tad over 1 million gold in the bank, so keep that in mind when you are telling me to buy average upgrades for several million a piece!

I guess I'm just what you call a casual player, who just plays now and then for fun and doesn't bother to spend hours pouring over the little details. Ignorance can be bliss I suppose...

1 million? OK. Start with your weapon and offhand. Look for a black weapon (black background, no +elemental damage) with life steal and a socket. For right now, you'll probably want to put an Amethyst in it until you're better geared. Once you've got that, get a Triumvirate with Arcane Power on Crit on it and a healthy +damage roll (I think +250 would be reasonable?)

Generally, you'll want to trade away Int for Vit and Resist All. It looks like you went for the highest Int roll without considering what damage it might do to your survivability. 1650 Int is an OK number, but 24K life isn't going to work even on MP0. Wizards are squishier than any other class, and the tradeoff is that it's really easy and cheap to get to 100k+ DPS.

Shifty76

1 million? OK. Start with your weapon and offhand. Look for a black weapon (black background, no +elemental damage) with life steal and a socket. For right now, you'll probably want to put an Amethyst in it until you're better geared. Once you've got that, get a Triumvirate with Arcane Power on Crit on it and a healthy +damage roll (I think +250 would be reasonable?)

Generally, you'll want to trade away Int for Vit and Resist All. It looks like you went for the highest Int roll without considering what damage it might do to your survivability. 1650 Int is an OK number, but 24K life isn't going to work even on MP0. Wizards are squishier than any other class, and the tradeoff is that it's really easy and cheap to get to 100k+ DPS.

Depending on build, 24k isn't too bad for wiz.
My budget CM wiz runs MP9-10 ubers with only 28k & rarely dies.

Definitely wouldn't recommend that low for non-CM wiz though - only reason mine survives is because everything is frozen 99% of the time & I'm healing pretty quick to reverse any damage I do take.

Prinny

How much is a Marquise Amethyst desing worth? I found one on the first elite I killed and the AH is down :/

Edit: I found one again, so I guess they're worthless.

turnbuckle

Hmm, so with the XP boosts in MP is it actually more productive to run MP1 than MP0 now you think?

As before it depends on how fast you can kill stuff. For me I'm going to be able to get XP faster on MP4 than MP0, but that's because I tend to stretch out my runs beyond the typical Alk path.

For an archon wizard I can see mp1 or mp2 definitely being quicker so long as their DPS is high enough.

I dunno this Dorner stuff seems more exciting. At least the thread with so much misinformation. Skip SOTU and yea put the Lakers on the TV while playing!

Guys:

What if bind on equip (or equip to account) was an attribute that could be rolled?

Could be interesting and might help with inflation.

Itemization still needs work besides that though. Some of the types of things you get on the revamped legendaries should be basic attributes that can be rolled.

turnbuckle

Guys:

What if bind on equip (or equip to account) was an attribute that could be rolled?

Could be interesting and might help with inflation.

Itemization still needs work besides that though. Some of the types of things you get on the revamped legendaries should be basic attributes that can be rolled.

That would waste an affix and take out a lot of fun for many people. For as much as people harp on not wanting to use the AH, a ton of fun is derived from finding items that may end up being worth something for someone else. I hate nearly all this bind on account stuff in a game like Diablo. Keep it in MMOs as a way to keep that hamster wheel going, but it sucks in this game. I've really enjoyed being able to help some people out with things that have dropped, and taking that away kinda stinks.

I'd much rather be able to take materials and currently owned gear and gamble re-rolling affixes than be stuck with a bunch of bind on account gear that 990/1000 times will be worth far less than the cost to create it.

Yea I dont like permanent stuff. I want to upgrade and sell my last piece for a little less, earn some more gold, upgrade again, and so on.

turnbuckle

Yea I dont like permanent stuff. I want to upgrade and sell my last piece for a little less, earn some more gold, upgrade again, and so on.

Amen.

Marquise Emeralds cost about $21 to make, $1.25 to resocket, and you're stuck with them. I will not take the bait, and hearing the dev's response on their philosophy WRT making them so cost prohibitive was upsetting. It was never more transparent that they cared more about making money from the AH than making the game rewarding for players.

"If it were up to me the other gems would cost more to re-socket, on a similar scale to the marquise"

"We don't want players sharing gems between characters. It puts downward pressure on the price of gems in the auction house."

Paraphrasing, but that's basically what they said. Awful.

Well the thing about my idea is that I probably wouldn't have it take up an affix slot that currently exists - it would be in addition, not replacing stats. Either there or not. And it could be relatively rare. The best items could end up with it, or they might not.

Just spitballing an idea though. It doesn't seem that far-fetched with the Hellfire Ring and new craftable chest already in the game.

MrDaravon

Related: In three Alkaizer runs I found an Vitality Archon Spaulders recipe as well as an Marquise Emerald plan. Immediately cashed it out for 14.3 mil (left it at the default listing price).

Figure if I found one that fast either I am incredibly lucky OR more than likely people paying that much for them are crazy people with shitloads of money and they will probably cost a fraction of that in a week. In either case I am completely broke AND I am completely nowhere near upgrading to a Marquise gem so figure I'd be better off cashing out there. As a DH it would at least potentially be worthwhile to throw it in my Manticore, but then I also have to factor in that 5 million cost in any future weapon upgrades.

Also as an aside with the Molten changes and the Reflect Damage changes the game is a completely hilarious faceroll with my DH now. MP1 is actually easier than MP0 was pre-patch.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Related: In three Alkaizer runs I found an Vitality Archon Spaulders recipe as well as an Marquise Emerald plan. Immediately cashed it out for 14.3 mil (left it at the default listing price).

Figure if I found one that fast either I am incredibly lucky OR more than likely people paying that much for them are crazy people with shitloads of money and they will probably cost a fraction of that in a week. In either case I am completely broke AND I am completely nowhere near upgrading to a Marquise gem so figure I'd be better off cashing out there. As a DH it would at least potentially be worthwhile to throw it in my Manticore, but then I also have to factor in that 5 million cost in any future weapon upgrades.

Also as an aside with the Molten changes and the Reflect Damage changes the game is a completely hilarious faceroll with my DH now. MP1 is actually easier than MP0 was pre-patch.

Yeah, now's the time to sell those plans! Easily replaceable. I give them a week and they'll be down under 100k.

MrDaravon

Yeah, now's the time to sell those plans! Easily replaceable. I give them a week and they'll be down under 100k.

That's what I figure, and if that's not the case I'm so far off from upgrading to a Marquise (even if I want to) that it's a moot point. I am curious to see if I just got super lucky or not, but given on the same run I got one of the Archon plans I'm guessing that all of the new plans are equally affected by the x4 drop rate.

I cant believe people are buying them for that much knowing the drop rate is 4x as high and theres a chance of getting them from mini bosses a known location/enemy you can farm over and over...lol to each their own!

Vodh

It's been puzzling me for some time now... Where the fuck do they come up with the exact numbers for drop tables? I mean, if you kill an elite on MP5 you've got exactly 24.1577% chance to drop a demonic essence, according to the patch notes. WHY? WHAT'S WRONG WITH 24 or 25, or hell, 24.15%??? ARE THEY DOING IT FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN FUCKING WITH OCD PEOPLE???

MrDaravon

Had a Juices moment of getting a good deal on gems accidentally left in gear in the AH:

thWS6EX.jpg

Got this for 7 million with 1d12h left. Aside from actually being an upgrade for me (I'm losing like 8 dex, 2 disc and 60 str from my current one but gaining 1% life and 78 vit) what else seems to be there? lol

balddemon

Banned
It's been puzzling me for some time now... Where the fuck do they come up with the exact numbers for drop tables? I mean, if you kill an elite on MP5 you've got exactly 24.1577% chance to drop a demonic essence, according to the patch notes. WHY? WHAT'S WRONG WITH 24 or 25, or hell, 24.15%??? ARE THEY DOING IT FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN FUCKING WITH OCD PEOPLE???

24.1577 rounds to 24.16.

looks like I'll be playing diablo tomorrow morning to try and cash in on some plan drops :D

MrDaravon

Damn thats like 9M worth of gems? Enough to make the 9M one at least. What a score.

Yup, they're just over 3 mil a piece, but I already have the plans and just combined them into a Perfect Star which goes for just over 10 mil, so even after that crafting cost I come out even more ahead. I will actually profit from this upgrade, which is hilarious. It has been a good night for me and Diablo.

Edit: Yup, sold instantly at list price, cleared 8.6 mil which after my cost for the item and the Perfect Star crafting cost I actually got paid about a million gold to for an upgrade. Good times.

Vio-Lence

Banned
did three alkaizer run's on my barb on mp2 since patch. 12 demonic essense, 0 legendaries, and 1 strength archon glove pattern. got some miscellaneous gem and armor patterns that i already had as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom