• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

I am finding that caltrops, vault, bola shot and rapid fire with a rare crossbow makes my Demon Hunter pretty damn lethal right now. Slow down the mobs with caltrops, roll, vault and wreak havoc with exploding bola shots and rapid fire. I'm still in the Fields of Misery in Act 1, but that is my go-to formula for now.

On a side note, the game seems like it is going to be pretty damn long as well. Loving it.

All fine and dandy but what if your discipline runs out and you can not use caltrops in the heat of battle? That is why I always revert back to Entangling Shot with the Chain Gang rune.

ironcreed

Banned
All fine and dandy but what if your discipline runs out and you can not use caltrops in the heat of battle? That is why I always revert back to Entangling Shot with the Chain Gang rune.

Well, it has not been a problem thus far with how I am mixing it up, but I will of course adapt as necessary. It's still early on yet.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
And that's fair enough. I was fine up until Leoric (which wasn't really a problem, I'd just been lazy with the encounter) but after that point it's a struggle and it can only be down to the gear I have. I've played through the game multiple times on PC, so seeing everything isn't such a draw to me now.

Yea, I quit the PC game launch day during Act 2 as the forced normal difficulty just bored me so much. All the complaints about the AH decimating the late game thrill and rewarding drops, cemented me giving up on the game super fast.

Didn't know Hard is no different from Easy/normal in terms of Xp gain and magic drops(may switch to Master 1 now that it unlocked), though it doesn't bother me too much. I just really disliked one-shotting most enemies on PC 1.0, so even though Hard just dials up the stats of enemy encounters, my satisfaction of corralling the mobs into choke-points and being mindful of the action at all times is more welcoming. Outside of Act 1 this is all new content for me, so it's finally great to not be forced into a content tourist play-through to get to the "real game".

Though the stat increase isn't perfectly balanced. Some fights go on waaaaayyyy too long(Leoric skeleton king especially was a slog given the lowbie gear early into Act 1 facing his impressive HP you have to whittle down). But I still prefer it to PC 1.0 where I don't even recall the fight at all given how quick and painless it ended.

The bull enemies you face on the overworld during the second half of Act 1 will one-shot me if I miss dodging their charge attack, even at full health on hard. Stuff like that pleases me, though it will surely annoy most other gamers. DIablo is starting to feel like an actual game again. :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I started playing this last night on PS3 and I'd say I'm about an hour in (just killed the blacksmith's wife). This is my first time playing D3 and I decided to choose a Monk for my first character, even though I usually go with caster classes in these games. The Monk seems fun, but to be honest with all the PS3 pre-order gear the game is stupid easy. I'm playing on normal and I literally steamroll through everything with just a few punches.

Does the game get harder? Or should I bump the difficulty up to hard? I'm wearing all the PS3 pre-order items so I have more vitality than normal, +25% XP boost, and I regenerate health. Haven't even had to use a health potion yet.

Well, it has not been a problem thus far with how I am mixing it up, but I will of course adapt as necessary. It's still early on yet.

I'm running Demon hunter and I have yet to run out of discipline, I normally drop one or two well placed caltrops rather than leave a whole stream of them.

That might change when I get other skills that use it like the Companion.

Some skills really look like they won't be useful until they get the right runes at like level 30 or whatever.

Drame

I was starting to get worried why Hell didn't unlock after nightmare. Then I remembered I have to be over lvl50 haha.

Robin64

The Monk seems fun, but to be honest with all the PS3 pre-order gear the game is stupid easy. I'm playing on normal and I literally steamroll through everything with just a few punches.

Don't worry, everyone steamrolled through Normal on the PC. In comparison, few people completed Inferno. It will get harder, for sure.

mr_toa

Man, OCDs... Whenever I enter a large outside area, I circle it at the borders all the way around, then systematically wipe the rest of the black fog on the map and *then* enter the dungeons. Can't miss a thing! Same with all those labyrinthian dungeons, only with a lot of backtracking involved. Or dat urge to destroy all the vases...

I'm pretty certain, that's quite within the normal play style for Diablo on platform ;-)

ironcreed

Banned
I'm running Demon hunter and I have yet to run out of discipline, I normally drop one or two well placed caltrops rather than leave a whole stream of them.

That might change when I get other skills that use it like the Companion.

Some skills really look like they won't be useful until they get the right runes at like level 30 or whatever.

That is what I am doing. I'll drop a caltrop or two as needed, roll and vault to keep distance and mix bola shot and rapid fire. I'm finding it extremely effective at destroying mobs fast with my rare crossbow. Even against the more powerful 'nightmare' mobs. That said, it is still all boiling down to simply getting better gear. When I left Tristram to go find the skeleton king crown, I got steamrolled until I got a better bow, then laid everything to waste. So satisfying, and is as it should be.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry, everyone steamrolled through Normal on the PC. In comparison, few people completed Inferno. It will get harder, for sure.

OK, but will I have to play for 200 hours before it gets hard? Or can I turn the monster difficulty up a notch to give me something of a challenge? Keep in mind this is my first ever Diablo experience.

OK, but will I have to play for 200 hours before it gets hard? Or can I turn the monster difficulty up a notch to give me something of a challenge? Keep in mind this is my first ever Diablo experience.

On normal I am running into encounters that require a little thought. It isn't just mindless button mashing or anything. I'd say hard would be somewhat challenging. Once you roll through the game and get to Inferno you will have to farm to get items that allow you to up the difficulty. Then it just becomes playing to find that awesome gear.

Edit: I'm on Act 2 btw. Wait until you get to your first boss enounter and see what you think about the challenge.

Silav101

Just finished Act 3 Normal.

Total legendary drops: 7 (ring, amulet, chest piece, polearm, fist weapon - all of which had monk-relevant affixes), 1 of which was not for my class (wizard off-hand) and 1 that was a set recipe for the blacksmith (Cain's set). Amazing haul, considering where I am.

And I am completely in love with Nephalem Glory. Once it hits 3 stacks, and paired with Fists of Thunder-Thunderclap (teleports you to your target), I found myself completely in awe of how fluid and fun it was to play a monk again.

I really, really hope Nephalem Glory gets added to the PC version, it is totally banging.

I really want to know has Diablo 3 finally surpassed Sacred 2 or should I pass on this and go back to Sacred 2? I loved Diablo 2, but, everyone talked shit about D3, and now it's on consoles and everyone says it's better. Sacred 2 I must have put in hundreds of hours into that game, but, I'm pretty bored now.

Dahbomb

Does the console version let you give armour and weapons to other players?
Yes.

HOLY SHIT @ that 2000+ DPS Messerschmidt's Reaver!

VegetaItsOver9000-02.png

Whats left in act 1 after the Skeleton boss? Cannot wait to play more tonight. I really enjoy how I can change my play style on the fly and not get locked into a particular set of skill.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Soon I can start playing again :D

Dahbomb

And yeah on the console version there is no experience/gf/mf difference between Easy/Medium/Hard, it's just for challenge. The bonuses start applying at Master I.

So when you are done beating the game Inferno and want to farm, switch to Inferno. By that time you should definitely have good enough gear to start farming Master I Inferno if you are decent at the game. If you don't like the speed at which you farm at Master I, farm on Easy.

If anything the game gets easier the more time you put in. If the game is easy right now (I remind you that on default the game is set to easy) turn up the difficulty to Medium or even Hard if needed.

You can make the game about as hard as you want to, ranging from face roll easy to completely impossible.

Silav101

Whats left in act 1 after the Skeleton boss? Cannot wait to play more tonight. I really enjoy how I can change my play style on the fly and not get locked into a particular set of skill.

A lot. That's pretty much the opening boss of the act. :) You'll have 2 more bosses before the Act boss, and with any luck lots of random dungeons on the way there.

Damn, a Normal diablo kill that nets us 2 legendaries and 8+ rares...THAT is a sight to behold.

Oh sweet lawd Jaysus Keeristtttt. I cannot wait to smack Diablo's face in. I'm already at 7 legendary drops, and I just entered ActIV.

Ushae

Banned
Guys is this game coming to next gen platforms too? What about the expansion pack, I'm assuming this will also make an entry too?

From what I'm hearing this version is a lot more enjoyable too. What's the general consensus on it?

foladar

Guys is this game coming to next gen platforms too? What about the expansion pack, I'm assuming this will also make an entry too?

From what I'm hearing this version is a lot more enjoyable too. What's the general consensus on it?

PS4 and yes, it's tons more enjoyable. 1100 hours on PC, 35 hours on Xbox 360 and I really, really want to invest many more hours.

Just killed skeleton king. Level 10 wizard now. This is more enjoyable than the pc one and I'm not sure why.

Is there an auction house on this? Not real money but a place where you can use in game credits?

After my bullshit experience to try and get my authenticator again from blizzard I'm just glad to play this on xbox.

Fair enough. What does that Nephalem glory stuff do? I got some with the skeleton king and when I hit him lightening came out and hit other enemies..

tomshreds

Neo Member
What I really hate is the fact that it's still 60 bucks. Yes it is revamped with new UI etc but owning it already on PC there's just no reason to purchase it again for me.

STILL I'd love to play it. The controller version seems a lot nicer, and since I play a lot of games on my couch through my hdtv instead of a computer monitor it would be awesome to finally finish D3 with it.

They should give a deal for those who already owns it on PC.

Dahbomb

Nephalem Glory

Stack 1:

Increased Movement speed
Increased damage
Increased health regeneration

Stack 2:

All of the above even more buffed
Adds a brownish chain lightning that sparks from your attacks and hits enemies in the vicinity

Stack 3:

Adds column of light that does damage to enemies (more damaging than the lightning although both are being used in Stack 3)

Basically Stack 3 is like going Super Saiyan.

What I really hate is the fact that it's still 60 bucks. Yes it is revamped with new UI etc but owning it already on PC there's just no reason to purchase it again for me.

STILL I'd love to play it. The controller version seems a lot nicer, and since I play a lot of games on my couch through my hdtv instead of a computer monitor it would be awesome to finally finish D3 with it.

They should give a deal for those who already owns it on PC.

I don't know how to explain it but it's so much more addictive on consoles. It just seems more fun. The controls work really well too. Also, guess it's better playing it for me on a much bigger screen with 5.1.

the only thing different is its not as detailed in terms of resolution.

Nephalem Glory

Stack 1:

Increased Movement speed
Increased damage
Increased health regeneration

Stack 2:

Adds a brownish chain lightning that sparks from your attacks and hits enemies in the vicinity

Stack 3:

Adds column of light that does damage to enemies (more damaging than the lightning although both are being used in Stack 3)

Basically Stack 3 is like going Super Saiyan.

Ok I got that lightening one. What do you mean by stacking tho? How do you get it to show up?

Dahbomb

Ok I got that lightening one. What do you mean by stacking tho? How do you get it to show up?
It's gained by picking up the Yellow orbs (random drop from enemies). They last for 60 seconds I believe and you can get up to 3 stacks by getting 3 Yellow orbs within those 60 seconds.

tomshreds

Neo Member
I don't know how to explain it but it's so much more addictive on consoles. It just seems more fun. The controls work really well too. Also, guess it's better playing it for me on a much bigger screen with 5.1.

the only thing different is its not as detailed in terms of resolution.

That's what I felt from seeing online footage, it looks much more entertaining to play with the controller than clicking the shit everywhere XD Thanks!

.la1n

What is a viable level I can shoot for before finishing the game on Normal, just got to Act IV today (doing one act a day) and I'm at level 30.

Dahbomb

What is a viable level I can shoot for before finishing the game on Normal, just got to Act IV today (doing one act a day) and I'm at level 30.
Normal : 1-30
Nightmare : 31-50
Hell : 51 - 60

I believe those are the rough estimates. So you are right on target.

Duallusion

Is revive/resurrect at corpse limited by something? I died "a couple" (*cough*) of times trying the hard setting, always choosing revive at corpse, but now I only get the town and checkpoint revive options. Weird.

It's gained by picking up the Yellow orbs (random drop from enemies). They last for 60 seconds I believe and you can get up to 3 stacks by getting 3 Yellow orbs within those 60 seconds.

Thanks. I didn't notice that on the pc so i guess it's new to me.

Btw one you guys finish on normal, do you do like a new game + with the same character or start fresh with a new one on normal or a harder difficulty level?

Voidance

Level 30 is a fine level to finish normal. From my experience, the level ceilings on each difficulties (Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno) are a pretty good indicator for where you should be.

Edit: Beaten by Dahbomb.

Is revive/resurrect at corpse limited by something? I died "a couple" (*cough*) of times trying the hard setting, always choosing revive at corpse, but now I only get the town and checkpoint revive options. Weird.
You can't revive at corpse during boss battles, but that's the only limitation that comes to mind.

Dahbomb

Thanks. I didn't notice that on the pc so i guess it's new to me.

Btw one you guys finish on normal, do you do like a new game + with the same character or start fresh with a new one on normal or a harder difficulty level?
You didn't notice it on the PC because it didn't EXIST on the PC. :D

This is one of the great new features of the console version.

And most people should be doing new game+ into the next difficulty mode.

Top Bottom