• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Glad you guys are having fun :D

Fun story.

You know where I said that I wanted to try something else instead of a ranged class? I tried for an hour, but immediately made a new Wizard after that and I am enjoying the hell out of this one. I enjoy it even more than the DH because they have a myriad of skills that actually work, especially the Ice Armor that unlocks at Level 15.

I just defeated The Butcher so I am going towards Act 2 for the very first time tonight. Looking forward to that.

Wait till you get the storm armour - its really really cool (i use it now over the ice armour)

But for me, Arcane Orb Hydra and Disintegrate with the wide beam are just deadly.

Arjen

I found a legendary pants, which farts on occasion
KuGsj.gif

TheIconizer

Neo Member
Hey guys anybody happen to know if I get more XP, better drops and so on on Hard as well or it only applies to Master difficulites?

Whats everyone's farming route? The pc router of festering woods - fields of misery - cemetery doesn't seem good on console with the reduced spawns.

Curufinwe

My monk died a bunch of times on Act 2, but my wife's wizard who was standing back shooting projectiles didn't die once.

I started using a shield instead of a weapon in each hand after that.

Absolutely no point because the drops do not outweigh the difficult encounters you get, especially the Butcher boss. What a pain in the ass that was on Hard.

Are u guys saying that once I finish my first playthrough, I should keep it on normal but just change the mp levels instead?

V_Arnold

Are u guys saying that once I finish my first playthrough, I should keep it on normal but just change the mp levels instead?

So much confusion around difficulty...

Nope, continue with Nightmare. Then with Hell. Then with Inferno.
Until you hit Inferno, the difficulty shall be "Easy". Once you have the proper gear, you can bump it to Master I on inferno.

So I played this game for quite a few hours with an Xbox Live buddy and had more or less a blast in terms of gameplay even though the items drops are not as good as I expected (we are still in normal difficulty so that might change later on). We even switched to Master 3 difficulty but the drops are still garbage.

But that isn't even my gripe with this game at the time being. What I don't get is how the fuck Blizzard fucked up art style and story of Diablo THIS much. It's like they did it on fucking purpose. It's not bothering me, I'm mad. This is almost like an insult. The enemies look like they were pulled straight from Titan Quest - only that they explode which feels like it's only done that you could not actually mistake the game for a new Titan Quest. And even if I didn't want to believe it when I've been told, the story is just equally as bad. I can't believe people actually get paid to write a story and dialog THIS bad.

I googled a bit and I can't even explain how glad I am that both art and game director resigned from Blizzard. They should never be allowed to touch a game production again.

Rolling through inferno after dinging 60 last night. One of the guys I was running with found a 1700+ dps 1h Sword with dex, LS, and +0.23 AS off Diablo Hell. I can't remember the name or other stats. Hell it might have been LOH.. I can't remember.

Best part about it...he gave it to me. I'll probably have that one for a while.

Edit: Before I logged off my AS was at 2.74. Haha so insane.

maomaoIYP

Finished normal with the wizard. Got really all kinds of overpowered toward the end of act IV. Messing around with the other characters for now, can't seem to find one that I love as much as the wizard. Enjoying the heck out of this game, probably gonna dump hundreds of hours into it.

ced

My monk died a bunch of times on Act 2, but my wife's wizard who was standing back shooting projectiles didn't die once.

I was getting owned at Act 2 as well with my monk, my wifes wizard was destroying things. I started using a shield in the offhand and it helped immensely.

We just started act 3 and it is way too easy now, we're both totally destroying everything with no concern for health.

I was going to consider going to hard but that sounds like it does nothing but make it hard, doesn't improve or balance loot.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have no frame of reference since this is my first Diablo game, but the story in this game is objectively bad. WoW's story went down the tubes over time, but even that outclassed the plot in this game, which borders on unintentional hilarity at times. The "twist" at the end of Act 2 I literally saw coming at the very beginning of Act 2.

I wanted to take a break from my Monk so I played some multiplayer today using my level 5 DH and it was pretty fun. You blast through dungeons MUCH faster when you're playing with others, which I will probably do exclusively once I beat my first playthrough. I imagine if you get a good group going you can probably blast through quite a few acts in one sitting.

Curufinwe

I was getting owned at Act 2 as well with my monk, my wifes wizard was destroying things. I started using a shield in the offhand and it helped immensely.

We just started act 3 and it is way too easy now, we're both totally destroying everything with no concern for health.

I was going to consider going to hard but that sounds like it does nothing but make it hard, doesn't improve or balance loot.

We are also playing on Normal Medium with no plans to go to Hard.

I started a Witch Doctor hardcore character on Normal Easy with a view to getting the Demon Slayer (Hardcore) Achievement, but only played long enough to get to level 5.

paolo11

Until you hit Inferno, the difficulty shall be "Easy". Once you have the proper gear, you can bump it to Master I on inferno.

Once you change your difficulty in Inferno to easy, do you still get great drops!

paolo11

Once you change your difficulty in Inferno to easy, do you still get great drops?

Once you change your difficulty in Inferno to easy, do you still get great drops?

The same items will drop from Easy-Master Level V. But once you start playing Master Levels the chance for magical items to drop increases.

Edit: As far as we understand now anyways. I hope that better items can drop from the higher difficulty levels. I used to love Diablo 2 because certain bosses had certain uniques on their loot table so if you wanted an item you knew who to farm to have the best chance. Diablo 3 is fun but nothing compares to mf runs on D2.

This news scares me a bit. I started the Demon Hunter as my "second character" but quickly dumped her for a Monk and found that playing the Monk is a lot more fun and engaging.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Kind of regretting getting this on PS3 instead of 360. For some reason I thought the game was only released for PS3 (?).

The DS triggers are the worst. Holding down "lock target" on L2 while using different abilities is ruining my hand. I wish I could remap the buttons... or make lock target a toggle.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of regretting getting this on PS3 instead of 360. For some reason I thought the game was only released for PS3 (?).

The DS triggers are the worst. Holding down "lock target" on L2 while using different abilities is ruining my hand. I wish I could remap the buttons... or make lock target a toggle.

There really isn't much need to use the "lock target" button for the most part.

Also if I'm not mistaken I think there is a way to remap buttons? I think it might be called "Elective Mode" in the options?

Sanctuary

The same items will drop from Easy-Master Level V. But once you start playing Master Levels the chance for magical items to drop increases.

Edit: As far as we understand now anyways. I hope that better items can drop from the higher difficulty levels. I used to love Diablo 2 because certain bosses had certain uniques on their loot table so if you wanted an item you knew who to farm to have the best chance. Diablo 3 is fun but nothing compares to mf runs on D2.

I am somewhat ambivalent on the way they changed MF running. I loved clearing to Mephisto or Diablo (you know, the legitimate way), but it did get really tiresome after the 1000th run of doing pretty much the exact same thing against the exact same boss. I miss the whole crossing your fingers in hopes that something off of the boss' loot table would drop, but I kind of like the whole easter egg hunt way with the randomized elites that they've done it in this game.

I'm not sure if they changed it on PC as well, but the waller ability seems really dumb now. Maybe it's just the zommed-in-way-too-much-on-console perspective, but it seems like the waller types just got incredibly dumb with their AI. Not dumb in a broken way, dumb in a nonsensical way. They keep putting up walls that prevents them from attacking me as well as me attacking them. It's more annoying than difficult. The only time I've had that be an issue is when I ended up fighting an Arcane, Waller, Molten and they walled me inside of a box with two lasers dropped beside me with magma underneath.

There's very few instances where you actually need to lock onto a target. It's almost always in regards to the leader of an elite pack too. I don't really understand how the setup is ruining your hand either since all of your abilities are on the right, and lockon is on the left. You control your character with your thumb. I guess if you hold the controller with a vice grip, or have arthritis it could be an issue. I'm sympathetic when it comes to crummy control schemes that make you do finger acrobatics or cause too much strain, but I'm not finding this game to be one of those cases. My right hand hurts way more from playing on the PC with a mouse.

For Barbarians, how come dual wield is better than 2 handed? Can someone explain this?

That's what I'm finding. I think it all boils down to DPS. Two-handed weapons are heavier and swing a lot slower than dual wielding two smaller weapons. Hence, increased DPS.

Loginius

I'm not sure if they changed it on PC as well, but the waller ability seems really dumb now. Maybe it's just the zommed-in-way-too-much-on-console perspective, but it seems like the waller types just got incredibly dumb with their AI. Not dumb in a broken way, dumb in a nonsensical way. They keep putting up walls that prevents them from attacking me as well as me attacking them. It's more annoying than difficult. The only time I've had that be an issue is when I ended up fighting an Arcane, Waller, Molten and they walled me inside of a box with two lasers dropped beside me with magma underneath.

Its always been like this, ai is not something this game excels in.
Im not even sure I would call mobs running at you and spamming their given attacks ai.
(with the occasional mob running away instead of charging in).

I don't really understand how the setup is ruining your hand either since all of your abilities are on the right, and lockon is on the left. You control your character with your thumb. I guess if you hold the controller with a vice grip, or have arthritis it could be an issue.

I guess its because the ps controller has those horrible curved triggers that a lot of people have to hold really tight or push down strong / in a weird angle in order not to slip.
But sure yeah certainly its because he is holding the controller wrong or something...

BFIB

That's what I'm finding. I think it all boils down to DPS. Two-handed weapons are heavier and swing a lot slower than dual wielding two smaller weapons. Hence, increased DPS.

Pretty much this. You can find some 2 handed weapons that have a faster attack speed I believe. But I usually just dual-wield.

Sanctuary

Its always been like this, ai is not something this game excels in.
Im not even sure I would call mobs running at you and spamming their given attacks ai.
(with the occasional mob running away instead of charging in).

It just feels like it was changed a lot since the first six weeks of release on PC. The walls are not as wide and they are being stacked parallel way too often. I remember them being wider and placed slightly smarter on PC to the point where enemies had an easier time attacking me, but I had a harder time escaping. Not so on the console.

Fularu

Banned
For Barbarians, how come dual wield is better than 2 handed? Can someone explain this?
Depends
WW/rltw/wotb builds prefer dual wielding (with an echoing fury to reach 2.5 aps for double tornadoes)
WW/HOTA builds favor two handed weapons (like a skorn)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Depends, it's more likely you'll find a good pair of 1 handers than it is finding an awesome 2 hander. Wait till you find an insane skorn, also some abilities like rend are INSANE with a good two hander. Rend with the rune that heals you for the damage it does with a 1200 dps skorn that has over 90% critical hit damage and a socket to boot is going to obliterate everything and keep you immortal as long as things are bleeding.

You'll literally be healing 25k hp per second with that rend.

So I played this game for quite a few hours with an Xbox Live buddy and had more or less a blast in terms of gameplay even though the items drops are not as good as I expected (we are still in normal difficulty so that might change later on). We even switched to Master 3 difficulty but the drops are still garbage.

But that isn't even my gripe with this game at the time being. What I don't get is how the fuck Blizzard fucked up art style and story of Diablo THIS much. It's like they did it on fucking purpose. It's not bothering me, I'm mad. This is almost like an insult. The enemies look like they were pulled straight from Titan Quest - only that they explode which feels like it's only done that you could not actually mistake the game for a new Titan Quest. And even if I didn't want to believe it when I've been told, the story is just equally as bad. I can't believe people actually get paid to write a story and dialog THIS bad.

I googled a bit and I can't even explain how glad I am that both art and game director resigned from Blizzard. They should never be allowed to touch a game production again.

It's like this comment is straight from 2011. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the art style and while you have the right to, whining over this serves no purpose whatsoever since the game has been out for more than a year now.

Item drop not as good as you expected? What were your expectation to begin with? Did you play the game on PC? the difference is like night and day.

Loginius

It just feels like it was changed a lot since the first six weeks of release on PC. The walls are not as wide and they are being stacked parallel way too often. I remember them being wider and placed slightly smarter on PC to the point where enemies had an easier time attacking me, but I had a harder time escaping. Not so on the console.

There are two kind of walls that mobs create, short walls or U-walls that trap you.
I think its the same (or at least almost) as in the pc version.

Vamphuntr

Played the PC version at launch and thought it was ok back then but poorly balanced, with awful loots and it didn't hook me as much as Diablo 2 had years ago.

Played the PS3 version this weekend and I liked it. Played in couch-coop with a friend and we both beat Normal and Nightmare easily on Medium and we are halfway through Hell. When we played on PC the end of Nightmare was starting to be tedious for us already because how unbalanced it was while this is not the case.

Each time we go back to town we usually have one new piece of gear that is actually better than we had. Legendary items are also plentiful. I played the PC version for 40 hours and got like 1-2 Legendary while we probably got over 50 this weekend.

It's a bit disappointing that you get the same one often but with new stats instead though. The removal of the auction house seems to have helped the loot system a lot here. We actually had to grind in the PC version for loot because some parts where impossible on higher difficulties without good gear but we never had to on PS3 on Nightmare and Hell so far which is great as you find great gear often so you can simply breeze through the game.

Rizzilio

Neo Member
The removal of the auction house seems to have helped the loot system a lot here. We actually had to grind in the PC version for loot because some parts where impossible on higher difficulties without good gear but we never had to on PS3 on Nightmare and Hell so far which is great as you find great gear often so you can simply breeze through the game.

This. Removal of the auction house and increased chance of better drops but lower output of drops in total has made the console version (if the 360 is the same as PS3) a no brainer choice for me to play. Hoping the expansion gets packaged with D3 on the PS4, as I know it will be an immediate buy for me if so.

Into

Did Inferno yesterday, at Paragon lvl 6, doing it on Master I / Inferno now

Having a lot of fun, the upgrades are so spontaneous, yesterday i did not get much, today i got a sick unique Ring and a better weapon.

Paragon levels seem to be a lot slower now though, i dont really mind, i am no rush

The removal of the auction house seems to have helped the loot system a lot here. We actually had to grind in the PC version for loot because some parts where impossible on higher difficulties without good gear but we never had to on PS3 on Nightmare and Hell so far which is great as you find great gear often so you can simply breeze through the game.

I don't really understand why people are saying this, if it helped it only helped by keeping Blizzard's greed in check. You can have good loot tables with or without an AH.

BFIB

Knowing how Blizzard is, they will likely include Loot 2.0 with the expansion in the PS4 version. Auction House included.

Vol5

Thought I'd mention this as I didn't notice until last night, but I'm about 1/2 way through Act 2 and already have 5 legendary items. Is this normal?

Also, I'm not clear....when I complete the game on Normal / Medium, it's NG+ and I can carry across my profile and carry on leveling up through to Master x / Inferno?

Fularu

Banned
Knowing how Blizzard is, they will likely include Loot 2.0 with the expansion in the PS4 version. Auction House included.
The AH is a good thing. You can decide if you want to use it or not. You don't need it one bit on PC to have an MP5-6 able chatacter. Hell I can do MP10 with ease and outside of two items everything was either crafted or found on my barb.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My wife pretty much forced me to buy this this weekend, but they were sold out at the Target near our house, so we just bought the digital version. It took a few hours to download thanks to our shit internet connection, but we were able to play for a few hours on Saturday, and more on Sunday.

Both of us are really digging the game. I was trying to hold out for the PS4 version next year, but like I said, she really, really wanted to play Diablo 3 NOW!! I haven't had this much fun in a couch co-op hack n' slash since Champions of Norrath and Balder's Gate: Dark Alliance. We've pretty much tried them all, form Dungeon Siege 3 to Sacred, but all of them bored us to tears. Diablo 3 has really grabbed us, though, and we're having a ball. Looks and runs fantastic on the PS3 as well. I also love being able to manually control my character's movement, instead of mouse clicking like on the PC version (I played the D3 beta on my PC last year, and it was ok, but I'm not a fan of Mouse and Keyboard controls, to be honest). I'm playing as a Monk, and my wife is a Demon Hunter. We make a pretty wicked team so far. We're only Level 10, though right now.

paolo11

Depends, it's more likely you'll find a good pair of 1 handers than it is finding an awesome 2 hander. Wait till you find an insane skorn, also some abilities like rend are INSANE with a good two hander. Rend with the rune that heals you for the damage it does with a 1200 dps skorn that has over 90% critical hit damage and a socket to boot is going to obliterate everything and keep you immortal as long as things are bleeding.

You'll literally be healing 25k hp per second with that rend.

I'm using a WW barb. What's a good set up for him?

Also, which produce more damage?

Two handed 200 Dps or

Dual wield one hand 145 dps and 150 dps?

Top Bottom