• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Greecian-

Look at this baby

eXvTbDR.jpg

Holy shit

sephi22

Haven't played this game since the first two weeks post-launch. Made it to Inferno act 1 on PC and then just got burned out.

Has WD improved since then? At the time he was my main and I was jealous of the other classes cheesing through the acts while WD felt weaker in comparison.

Drame

Oh! A legendary shield drops only to find out that it is kinda crap.

Bleh, still no shield upgrade over my great 9% crit hit shield.

Number45

Bumped up to master I on NM last night. I'm levelling faster relative to progress, but progressing a lot slower (and not noticing a difference in drops). Definitely going to swap back to normal until Inferno.

Critical Hits for over a million damage at level 46 (Act III - Nightmare). I'm pretty sure this Barb is 10x as strong as my 100 hour PC character. So weird.
WTF. How?

MrDaravon

Just answered one of my early questions: legendary/set plans which still have static item levels on them (as opposed to dropped items which now all scale to you) will now seemingly drop anytime as long as you are at least at their level. I just got a Demon Hand plan drop on Inferno but it's a level 52 plan. That's good though; on the PC version you have to be fighting enemies at around that level, which means most of the non-level 60 plans are stupid rare since you'd have to intentionally farm lower difficulties, etc.

Ken

Which skills are good for leveling Barbarian? Currently level 11 I think. Can't decide between Rend and the hammer thing.

Loginius

So today I did a act 3 farm run and had 5 legendarys drop.
Seems my luck has finally returned after 10 paragon lvls with close to 0 legendarys.

Which skills are good for leveling Barbarian? Currently level 11 I think. Can't decide between Rend and the hammer thing.
Try both and pick whichever one you feel more comfortable with.

Jack_AG

Banned
Anyone else wish there were proc notifications? I am hating babysitting my action bar when abilities like Revenge proc. Also - a cooldown timer would be nice. Depending on the artwork for an ability the dial has the same color and makes it difficult to see if longer CDs are off CD.

Bumped up to master I on NM last night. I'm levelling faster relative to progress, but progressing a lot slower (and not noticing a difference in drops). Definitely going to swap back to normal until Inferno.

Im finding Normal too easy - nightmare is next - are you saying Master I on Nightmare is a HUGE step up? Will going from Normal to nightmare by itself (without messing with difficulty) be a big step up>

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone else wish there were proc notifications? I am hating babysitting my action bar when abilities like Revenge proc. Also - a cooldown timer would be nice. Depending on the artwork for an ability the dial has the same color and makes it difficult to see if longer CDs are off CD.
I have binded my main attack to X and Revenge on Square, så I can press the two buttons simulationsly. I pretty much hammer the two buttons at all times.

Stainless

Played demo last night on medium as a wizard and the skeleton king owned me. I guess maybe I'm just too used to fps and mmo games and need more/better gear

Drame

Those at inferno and have the infernal machine. Anyone interested doing some ubers some time? With Master 2 and up.

I had played Diablo III on PC (as a Barb). Towards the end, getting new gear for him was kinda hard and playing the game became boring.

Go the game for PS3 and Im playing as a wizard.

The drops are awesome now. Not just that. Im crafting some great stuff too. I finally feel s sense of continuos progression as I play.

The game is a lot better now. :)

Number45

Im finding Normal too easy - nightmare is next - are you saying Master I on Nightmare is a HUGE step up? Will going from Normal to nightmare by itself (without messing with difficulty) be a big step up>
Not really, no. There were some challenges for the way I have my barb currently setup (which is heavily based on things dying to keep me alive), but I could overcome most of them with patience.

It's just that the trade off for the MP increase wasn't manifesting into better (or more) drops, so the net result of the increase was that I'm progressing more slowly. I've seen all of the content anyway, so it wasn't working for me.

I look forward to tweaking my build at Inferno, when I'm going for loot that might stay with me for a while.

EDIT: Also, nothing ever drops for my poor scoundrel. :(

theytookourjobz

My only two gripes with the game right now are useless hell gems dropping in inferno and that this game has hard locked my system like 5 times. If I can manage to pick up 5 million gold somehow, it'll be my first platinum.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tried the demo myself and am impressed with the quality of the port on PS3. It isn't perfect, but framerate drops are surprisingly minimal outside of that initial area and image quality is quite reasonable despite the low resolution.

It simply plays so much better than it ever did on the PC, though, and I can't help but remain disappointed in the lack of a controller option for PC users. Would have drastically improved the experience for me, no doubt.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
So im on act 4 hell (redoing it because need to get from 59 to 60 to start inferno) and I get my first green chest piece drop. I dont id it straight away and walk forward and kill a couple of demons, and my xbox freezes.... restart and the chest piece didn't save to my inventory :(

theytookourjobz

So im on act 4 hell (redoing it because need to get from 59 to 60 to start inferno) and I get my first green chest piece drop. I dont id it straight away and walk forward and kill a couple of demons, and my xbox freezes.... restart and the chest piece didn't save to my inventory :(

The downfall of stuff not being saved server side. :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yea I think DH is the overall worst class especially if you consider Hardcore in the equation. Lowest survivability out of all the classes and not even the best at being a glass cannon when Wizards can do that just as well if not better.

90% chance that DH will be getting some overhauls in the expansion especially for their effectiveness in hardcore mode.

DH was only super popular at start because Nether Tentacles were broken. They were the best class in the game pre nerf Inferno.

Dammit. I started a DH as my secondary character and have her leveled up to 14 right now, Act II. Have I made a terrible mistake? I do intend to level up all the classes to 60 eventually so I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run.

koji

Yeah I'm not sure how you can do a force save... Friend of mine said teleporting to town causes the game to save, haven't checked that yet...

Dammit. I started a DH as my secondary character and have her leveled up to 14 right now, Act II. Have I made a terrible mistake? I do intend to level up all the classes to 60 eventually so I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run.

They are not THAT bad, they are just considered less good at farming MP10 and you need balls of steel if you want to run one in hardcore, but it's not like they are terrible. If I see that bow posted above I want to roll a DH as well, shit... :lol (1.67 APS 1900dmg, lolwut)

Most people won't even end up farming MP10 so it's all theorycrafting/min maxing shit anyway, just play what you want to play/enjoy playing is what I'm trying to say, that lasts the longest. I played 350hours on my "broken" WD before the class got an overhaul and still had a blast.

Drame

Act IV is mighty fine for key farming, fast and efficient. Feels like it's great for legendary farm too. I've been getting 1-2 legendaries per run.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
They are not THAT bad, they are just considered less good at farming MP10 and you need balls of steel if you want to run one in hardcore, but it's not like they are terrible. If I see that bow posted above I want to roll a DH as well, shit... :lol (1.67 APS 1900dmg, lolwut)

Most people won't even end up farming MP10 so it's all theorycrafting/min maxing shit anyway, just play what you want to play/enjoy playing is what I'm trying to say, that lasts the longest. I played 350hours on my "broken" WD before the class got an overhaul and still had a blast.

Yeah, I don't know how hardcore I'm going to be about farming MP10. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Either way my Monk is my main class, the DH is a side project for when I get tired of melee and want to shoot things in the face instead.

AlStrong

So hows the demo? what classes? what act/part of the game? how many levels? co-op? is it worth downloading?

Barbarian & Wizard
Act 1 up to King Leoric
Level 9 cap
Local co-op + online with friends (demo only, no match making).
Progress carries over if you get the full game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I finished Act III last night and man, Blizzard really is running out of ideas aren't they? That plot development at the end of Act III... haven't we already seen this exact same story in a previous Blizzard game? Twice?

One of the good guys becomes the ultimate bad guy. Shocking! Except we already have Kerrigan and Arthas who went through the exact same transformation.

Blizzard needs to step their lore game up.

Sanctuary

Did they drastically lower the droprate for the Staff of Herding components, or move the locations? I've literally wasted four hours on probably the easiest item to get:
Leoric's Shinbone,
and the
burnt logs
just do not appear. On the PC you could have the complete staff in around six to eight hours.

edit: Omfg, you don't even need that item for the console version. Haha.

Yea I think DH is the overall worst class especially if you consider Hardcore in the equation. Lowest survivability out of all the classes and not even the best at being a glass cannon when Wizards can do that just as well if not better.

90% chance that DH will be getting some overhauls in the expansion especially for their effectiveness in hardcore mode.

DH was only super popular at start because Nether Tentacles were broken. They were the best class in the game pre nerf Inferno.

I never played D3 after the Inferno nerf, but I can attest to the complete brokeness of Nether Tentacles pre-nerf. Most every other class felt like a bigger uphill battle than the DH in Inferno (which isn't to say everything was perfect with the class). Now though, I can see how drastically different the game has become, and with the NT nerf, I could see the DH as the worst class for Hardcore, but I also feel like the Witch Doctor could be the worst too. DH isn't a horrible class, and it does have some advantages over the Wizard, but not enough to make you want to play it as "the" ranged class. I was considering taking a Wizard through HC, but I might just opt to go with the Barbarian, since I was super lucky with the drops on my Wizard, and now Master 4 is on farm status. And you know what they say about lightning. My freaking Templar is wearing a Wizardspike and Lidless Wall (which as soon as it dropped I thought about how insane that would be in HC).

Curufinwe

My wife is up to level 12 on her hardcore DH. So far so good on Normal (Easy). I suggested she play as a Barbarian but she thinks the character looks hideous.

My hardcore guy is a Witch Doctor, but I'm only on level 6.

molnizzle

WD plays surprisingly well on console, I wasn't expecting that. I'm leveling one as my couch co-op character with the wife. Fun shit.

Loginius

Did they drastically lower the droprate for the Staff of Herding components, or move the locations? I've literally wasted four hours on probably the easiest item to get:
Leoric's Shinbone,
and the
burnt logs
just do not appear. On the PC you could have the complete staff in around six to eight hours.

edit: Omfg, you don't even need that item for the console version. Haha.

Holy shit, thanks for pointing that out.
Spend 3h yesterday farming for a item that doesnt even exist in the console version. haha

Jack_AG

Banned
Anyone else not playing with a follower? I did for my 1st run just because. But now that I upped the difficulty I am rolling solo unless co-oping with a bud. I'm finding it easier to control groups of mobs since their attention is always on me.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
This game is addictive, certainly - But the writing....seriously, is hilariously, comically bad.

Having to listen to Cydaea's "seductive" dialogue in Act III over and over is one of the things I hate most. That and the enchantress; she still "never imagined such a creature" (elite packs) after encountering them thousands of times.

Voidance

Having to listen to Cydaea's "seductive" dialogue in Act III over and over is one of the things I hate most. That and the enchantress; she still "never imagined such a creature" (elite packs) after encountering them thousands of times.
Oh. My. Gosh. I'm seriously getting tired of that during my Inferno run.

BigDug13

Start button gives you the option to skip cutscenes. During non-cutscene dialog, you can skip it with select.

I'm happy I stumbled on that fact because I couldn't hit the skip buttons fast enough on PC version.

ReaperXL7

So i downloaded the demo on PSN last night and I love it. Líke the art direction, combat seems to get more fun as you level and gain more abilities, and funny enough I played alittle local co-op with my 4 year old. Shes not great or anything obviously but she helped quite abit by using the wizards frost beam against bosses while I smacked it with my barbarian.

This is one of those games (similar to FFXIV) were I want to buy, qnd play it, but im torn on waiting for the PS4 version. I dont know if I would have enjoyed the PC version as much, but the console version nixed all of tue major issues I would have had. So this will be an easy buy for my at some point.

Jrmint

I used both for all of leveling. They work great together.

Jump in with Leap
Put Rend on everyone
Hammer with excess Rage
Then use your preferred Rage generator to build back up, rinse repeat.

I really like this build.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So i downloaded the demo on PSN last night and I love it. Líke the art direction, combat seems to get more fun as you level and gain more abilities, and funny enough I played alittle local co-op with my 4 year old. Shes not great or anything obviously but she helped quite abit by using the wizards frost beam against bosses while I smacked it with my barbarian.

This is one of those games (similar to FFXIV) were I want to buy, qnd play it, but im torn on waiting for the PS4 version. I dont know if I would have enjoyed the PC version as much, but the console version nixed all of tue major issues I would have had. So this will be an easy buy for my at some point.

I was also torn between waiting for the PS4 version or getting the PS3 version, but considering the PS4 version won't be coming out until 2014 I figured I would just jump in now and hope that Blizzard implements some sort of character transfer feature. The general assumption around these parts is that the PS4 version will come out around the same time that the Reaper of Souls expansion pack releases on PC.

It may not be the best looking version of the game, and there are slowdowns and screen tearing here and there, but it's nothing that stops the console version from being the best version of Diablo III.

smr00

Banned
I was also torn between waiting for the PS4 version or getting the PS3 version, but considering the PS4 version won't be coming out until 2014 I figured I would just jump in now and hope that Blizzard implements some sort of character transfer feature. The general assumption around these parts is that the PS4 version will come out around the same time that the Reaper of Souls expansion pack releases on PC.

It may not be the best looking version of the game, and there are slowdowns and screen tearing here and there, but it's nothing that stops the console version from being the best version of Diablo III.
I dialed back my playtime in case they don't implement the transfer.

I farm maybe an hour a day for some stuff or casually play different characters. I am afraid to get really, really invested to have it all be for nothing. I know it's possible to do i just hope Blizzard and Sony/Microsoft find a way

Sanctuary

Well, one thing certainly has not changed from the PC version. Those leaper/mortar cat enemies are still the most overtuned enemies in the game. Completely stupid how much damage they do from off screen, only to jump on you while you're trying to avoid the mortars from all directions. They do entirely too much damage. Doesn't really matter if they die pretty quickly since they always strike first from off screen thanks to the console being zoomed in entirely too close, yet treating the game as though you have more viewing distance than what you really do.

Top Bottom