• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

I hate asking the stupid question but what is the save system in D3? Just autosave at certain events? Can I manually prompt a save a specific way?

It saves occasionally automatically and you can prompt a manual save.

Unfortunate that it doesn't save as often as I've had legendaries that I picked up disappear because the game froze.

oneHeero

Unfortunate that it doesn't save as often as I've had legendaries that I picked up disappear because the game froze.

How do I prompt a manual save? I feel like the autosave isnt often enough lol or I havent figured out what causes the saves lol.

Number45

How do I prompt a manual save? I feel like the autosave isnt often enough lol or I havent figured out what causes the saves lol.
If you want to save your items, then quitting to the main menu will accomplish that. There's no way to manually save your progress within a spawned area - the best way to prevent yourself going back over content is to quit at the start of a quest or at a time when you can warp straight to where you left off (path to the oasis or desolate sands, in act 2 for example).

oneHeero

If you want to save your items, then quitting to the main menu will accomplish that. There's no way to manually save your progress within a spawned area - the best way to prevent yourself going back over content is to quit at the start of a quest or at a time when you can warp straight to where you left off (path to the oasis or desolate sands, in act 2 for example).

Oh snap, so I can be in a dungeon, find a legendary, quit to main screen restart my game and it'll be there?

Sorry, just been a long day at work and I want to make sure I understand correctly.

Sanctuary

That's why you have to be semi-paranoid with this game on the console and be OCD about making backup saves. After losing 30+ hours in HC, I've just started making redundant saves after a good legendary drops, or every five levels, whichever happens first.

Oh snap, so I can be in a dungeon, find a legendary, quit to main screen restart my game and it'll be there?

Sorry, just been a long day at work and I want to make sure I understand correctly.

Just make sure you're actually quitting to character select through the in game menu, and not actually going to the dashboard and everything should be saved.

LTWood12

Thinking about picking this up on PSN since you get $10 for every $50 you spend. Does the PSN version run better, worse, same as the disc version? Thanks!

Lasdrub

I think I'm going to trade it in to Amazon next week. I really wanted to get the platinum, but getting 5,000,000 gold is too boring. I'm about half way there and figure that if I kill things as fast as I can without spending a lot of time looting in inferno, it would take over 15 hours of pure gold find runs. I ran through act 4 with a bunch of gold find gear (~130% before nephalem valor) and got 50k in about 20 minutes. 150k/hour is just too slow when I need 2.5 million. I'd rather have $31 worth of amazon credit.

Bittercup

As an alternative, when you want to just save your new found legendary but not quit because you are still in a dungeon: Make a town portal and click on your banner and change something. This triggers the game to save. When the game freezes afterwards your items and level up to that point are still safe.

maomaoIYP

I think I'm going to trade it in to Amazon next week. I really wanted to get the platinum, but getting 5,000,000 gold is too boring. I'm about half way there and figure that if I kill things as fast as I can without spending a lot of time looting in inferno, it would take over 15 hours of pure gold find runs. I ran through act 4 with a bunch of gold find gear (~130% before nephalem valor) and got 50k in about 20 minutes. 150k/hour is just too slow when I need 2.5 million. I'd rather have $31 worth of amazon credit.

I just got that as my last achievement. I'm still having lots of fun though.

I just got that trophy last night, wasn't too bad for me as I have been doing loot/xp/key runs anyway, so the gold came naturally. Also having a puzzle ring helps spawning treasure goblins.

Just the hardcore to level 30 to go. I'm at 23 but don't really want to try Belial at the moment so farming act 2 which might take a while.

Number45

One bad thing I'll say about the improved loot in this game, is that you never get the opportunity to stick with a single weapon for long. The Skorn dropped about half an hour after the Scourge - and I love the explosion that the Scourge makes! :(

6wI523y.jpg

One bad thing I'll say about the improved loot in this game, is that you never get the opportunity to stick with a single weapon for long. The Skorn dropped about half an hour after the Scourge - and I love the explosion that the Scourge makes! :(

Give it to one of your followers! My axe which does 52k DPS will Prolly be kept around for a while. I pass all lesser stuff to my enchantress

Ooh, that's a good call. Not running with the enchantress at the moment, but I might swap her in for the scoundrel on my barb.

For the first 20 levels i had the Templar with me to basically tank and heal. Ever since then the Enchantress is a LOT better. She has this one power which turns everyone to chickens which is great for elites - you can do a LOT of damage to them while they are clucking around.

She can cause a LOT of damage and doesnt go down too easy. My enchantress is doing 16K DPS right now so shes pretty helpful.

Also - i gave my enchantress the ring where Treasure goblins appear after i outgrew it. Kept it for a while until i found a lot better stuff.

Number45

For the first 20 levels i had the Templar with me to basically tank and heal. Ever since then the Enchantress is a LOT better. She has this one power which turns everyone to chickens which is great for elites - you can do a LOT of damage to them while they are clucking around.

She can cause a LOT of damage and doesnt go down too easy. My enchantress is doing 16K DPS right now so shes pretty helpful.

Also - i gave my enchantress the ring where Treasure goblins appear after i outgrew it. Kept it for a while until i found a lot better stuff.
All great tips, thanks!

Lasdrub

I just got that trophy last night, wasn't too bad for me as I have been doing loot/xp/key runs anyway, so the gold came naturally. Also having a puzzle ring helps spawning treasure goblins.

Just the hardcore to level 30 to go. I'm at 23 but don't really want to try Belial at the moment so farming act 2 which might take a while.

I just got that as my last achievement. I'm still having lots of fun though.

You guys played a lot more in inferno than I did! I feel burnt out. I got a barbarian to 60, a wizard to 60, a monk to 45, and a witch doctor to 30. I played the PC version for about 120 hours, as well. I figure I can just play there if I get the itch again.

I have been playing this game so much with my friends lately. I still have the same complains about changes from diablo 2 but this version is amazing. Im loving it all over again. Just makes me wish it had been on consoles from the start.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yup, this game is fucking awesome.

maomaoIYP

You guys played a lot more in inferno than I did! I feel burnt out. I got a barbarian to 60, a wizard to 60, a monk to 45, and a witch doctor to 30. I played the PC version for about 120 hours, as well. I figure I can just play there if I get the itch again.

I didn't get the PC version, so that's probably why I'm still feeling good. Also might be because I skipped GTAV, so I have nothing else to play. I have wiz, barb, DH at 60. Monk just hit 60 too. WD at 50, gawd I hate WD.

Number45

I played a good amount of the PC game and my backlog is ridiculous. This is pretty much the only thing I'm playing right now. <3

larvi

I'm at about 3.5m out of 5m currently. I started farming with my gold find gear, have over 400% gold find on Master 1 but it's still going slowly.

Has anyone found a set item for a class other than what they are currently running? I.e. is it possible to find IK or Innas gear while running my DH? I kind of miss finding nice pieces for a different class that gives me incentive to build a char in that class.

MrDaravon

I'm at about 3.5m out of 5m currently. I started farming with my gold find gear, have over 400% gold find on Master 1 but it's still going slowly.

Has anyone found a set item for a class other than what they are currently running? I.e. is it possible to find IK or Innas gear while running my DH? I kind of miss finding nice pieces for a different class that gives me incentive to build a char in that class.

I don't think I have yet, and have about 200 hours, most of that on my DH. I find legendary weapon/offhands for other classes very rarely, but I don't think I've found a set piece that is very specifically for another class. Aside from Nat stuff the only other set stuff I've found is the Litany rings and Blackthorne stuff, neither of which is class-specific.

In other news, you can't fuck manually cancel Archon on console? FFS

Sanctuary

Is it even worth using the Cyclone rune (Sweeping Wind) anywhere other than Act 3? It seems like in almost all of the more open areas, due to the drastically lower monster density that SW is always falling off. I'll even punch barrels, bone piles etc., but it doesn't matter. It's not so much an issue building up a three stack from scratch either, because I can do it around 3s on average, but the spirit cost of having to constantly cast it. On anything but Act 3 I've just been using the first rune that makes it stay out for 20s, but it seems like such a waste of potential.

On elites Cyclone would still be superior, but for everything else, what's the point of constantly having to rebuild a stack just to get the possibility of a vortex proc right before an enemy is about to die anyway?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thanks, will give that a go then.
Tomes of secrets drop in Inferno like rain in Scotland, i forged them myself, and that was pretty dumb, now i'm severly lacking in tomes of jewelcrafting.

Ooooooh.

I am still at Nightmare and the cost for upgrading from Blacksmith 8 to 9 is crazy: 2 Tomes of Secrets with each require 6 Jewelcrafting tome and 5 blacksmith tome?

I guess I should have known that maxing Blacksmith/Jewelcrafting is not meant to be yet in Nightmare, hahahaha.

Protip: every time you want to save, just make an edit of some sort to your banner, the game would immediately save then :p

Wish other legendaries would drop for me besides weapons. I'm still wearing rare pants and I'm Paragon level 16, lol.

I have a legendary pants... that would make my Demon Hunter hero farts every once in a while..... It's kind of hilarious to see the super-serious Demon-Hunter occasionally farts during battle or when walking through cities/bases, ahahahahaha.

gawd I hate WD.

Why?

WD is awesome, you can make a great build with insane DPS on him. Since I made mine for criticals, he does 900K up to 1.6 Mil with over 2.40 atack speed, but even without CH you can easily build him for around 500K. It takes some time to get the right gear but he just melts everything on his way.

Sanctuary

Why?

WD is awesome, you can make a great build with insane DPS on him. Since I made mine for criticals, he does 900K up to 1.6 Mil with over 2.40 atack speed, but even without CH you can easily build him for around 500K. It takes some time to get the right gear but he just melts everything on his way.

You can't "easily" build anyone up to 500k. WD is a decent class (probably one of the best, if not the best for HC), but for non HC, it's probably tied for last in terms of killing speed in the higher Master/MP levels.

maomaoIYP

Why?

Holy shit 900K?? While I like the summoning skills I'm not that big a fan of the rest, and the character's stance looks like she's perpetually wanting to squat for a crap.

Sanctuary

Really enjoying these PS3 save issues. Just lost 45k DPS worth of items just because I didn't make a backup save within a three hour timespan.

I have a legendary pants... that would make my Demon Hunter hero farts every once in a while..... It's kind of hilarious to see the super-serious Demon-Hunter occasionally farts during battle or when walking through cities/bases, ahahahahaha.
Ha my better half had those pants for a long time. She has upgraded now. Love some of the unique items, like the Cluckeye bow, that clucks funnily enough.

I got Nephalem valour for the first time on inferno, it says I have 30 mins left of it? I'm also finding some cools plans (Archon something) so I guess it gives me a reason to keep playing post level 60..

Its crazy... I put 600-ish hours into the PC version, swore off it forever, and am now checking the mail constantly for the PS3 version from a generous GAFFER. This sickness will never go away.

Thanks for letting me finally enjoy D3 after a 600hr beta test, Blizz. :p

theytookourjobz

Its crazy... I put 600-ish hours into the PC version, swore off it forever, and am now checking the mail constantly for the PS3 version from a generous GAFFER. This sickness will never go away.

Thanks for letting me finally enjoy D3 after a 600hr beta test, Blizz. :p

D3 on PC might not have been the second coming of D2 but good lord people. If you played it for 600 hours THAT IS ON YOU! Lol

Also I'm in the same boat as everyone else with 5mil hold being the only thing left for the plat. Haven't played much on the last couple of weeks though. Would be awesome if the expansion came to console.

D3 on PC might not have been the second coming of D2 but good lord people. If you played it for 600 hours THAT IS ON YOU! Lol

Also I'm in the same boat as everyone else with 5mil hold being the only thing left for the plat. Haven't played much on the last couple of weeks though. Would be awesome if the expansion came to console.

Oh, I know... Its a weak finger-wag that I give them. I WAS able to separate my hardcore D2 fandom from my time with D3, and still had a wonderful time. That said, the PS3 version is even closer to optimal, and the upcoming expansion, closer still.

Diablo 3 WILL be remembered fondly... it'll just have had a rocky time getting there. :)

ace3skoot

Just finished normal for the first time, really enjoyed playing through, some of the babrbarian skills feel a bit OP, but epically fun, I'm not sure if this is common? but i got 2 orange weapons and 2 bits of armour, massively made me more powerful. last act was a bit of a joke :p

theytookourjobz

Just finished normal for the first time, really enjoyed playing through, some of the babrbarian skills feel a bit OP, but epically fun, I'm not sure if this is common? but i got 2 orange weapons and 2 bits of armour, massively made me more powerful. last act was a bit of a joke :p

Yeah general consensus on the PC version was that barbs were OP (possibly because the lead designer liked to play barb the most). It's a fun class though!

Holy shit 900K?? While I like the summoning skills I'm not that big a fan of the rest, and the character's stance looks like she's perpetually wanting to squat for a crap.

Witch Doctor is fun as hell. I couldn't get into it in the early levels but once you get the good skills you start to shine.

Sanctuary

wtf? ive had one crash on xbox where i lost about 10 mins - is this common on the PS3?

After the first incident where I lost over 30 hours worth of levels and gear, I started to make redundant backup saves every few hours or levels or whatever. So the single time that I don't, within somewhat of a short timespan, it decides to screw up that current save. And I never get any messages about saves being corrupted. I simply start the game and it acts like I've never played it, even though the save file still shows all of my characters. What makes it suck the most is that it was two really great weapon upgrades.

I never even fully shut down the system either, I just exited the game like normal and watched a show on Netflix.

Smack Fu

I have the PS3 version and I have a bug where all of the Shem conversations are showing as checked (and I have done them a few times) yet It's not giving me the Challenge nor Trophy for doing that. There is also another one where I have all the books for one of the Challenges and its not showing as checked off (Yet all are checked off in the list for it).
Is this a known problem and if so is there a workaround?

Obscured

I never played previous diablo games, but this one has me on a leash. For the uninitiated can anyone give me a brief idea why D2 was so great? I don't want to open a can of worms, but I am genuinely curious.

Just hit paragon 1 on 360 with a barbarian, i want to start a new character, but I'm having a hard time letting this guy rest.

Dahbomb

For the uninitiated can anyone give me a brief idea why D2 was so great?
It basically started this genre of games.

Just a few points as to why the game is a classic:

*Purely randomized content that leads to increased replayability
*Deep customization/skillsets among the various classes
*Phenomenal loot and item system allowing you to spec characters in a lot of ways
*Great dark atmosphere and art design
*Solid lore, classical sound track
*Excellent online features for the time including stuff like Ladders

Top Bottom