• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogdud

How could they have not fixed the sounds yet? Still makes no sense that I have to turn sound effects down to like 10 (from a max of 100, default was like 80?) and then crank my PC volume just to be able to hear the music at an average level.

The worst is Spirit Barrage because it quite literally drowns out every single other sound in the game. Music, dialogue, ambient? Forget about those, if you're a WD using sb all you're going to hear is: SSSSSSHHHHHWWWWWWWHHHHHHEEEEEE X 10,000,000. It doesn't matter if you turn the sound on the effects down either, it's going to override everything!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What's the best difficulty to pick when starting a new character?

Normal if completely new

If it's your 2nd character and you have a bunch of paragon, you can start at torment 6 and eventually move downwards as the paragon bonus becomes less valuable as you level up

This is also character dependent. Best advice is to try whatever. You are never locked into difficulty levels... You play with how you are comfortable... The harder it is, the quicker you level. The quicker you level, the harder it becomes due to gear scarcity so you will have to play around with it.

Is 1600 Life per Hit useful for a lvl 70 Demon Hunter or is it better to stick to 380 Vitality?
Found the roughly the same item twice .. only differs in these two stats.

I woke up and thought positively. "All my legendary drops will not be garbage today," I said to myself. I get my first drop, and it's a set chest. My hopes are high.

qturEx7.jpg

Fuck. Over 25 legendaries in RoS now, still only two of them useable (not counting the three I put on my enchantress).

kanuuna

Try out Demon Hunter. I think DH is easily the most fun class I've played from a pure mechanics standpoint (haven't yet tried Barb or Crusader). Great mobility and some fun abilities that keep you engaged.

My main is a Wizard but that's because he's far more powerful and well-equipped than my other chars. Three of the abilities I have on him are passives, so he's not nearly as fun to actually play the game with. Great farmer, though.

I think I might try out Crusader simply because he's melee.
To be honest, my Act V wizard experience might've been the most dull thing to watch if I had recorded my playthrough: Disintegrate and Electrocute with Lightning Blast, left-click right-click build. Still, I had a great time and I couldn't really pinpoint why. Must be the big numbers.

Sanctuary

The music in Act V is superb.

The music in Act V is the best out of all of the acts. It's a shame that the actual level design (i.e. not textures and aesthetics) is so terrible.

I think I might try out Crusader simply because he's melee.
To be honest, my Act V wizard experience might've been the most dull thing to watch if I had recorded my playthrough: Disintegrate and Electrocute with Lightning Blast, left-click right-click build. Still, I had a great time and I couldn't really pinpoint why. Must be the big numbers.

Crusader isn't really melee unless you focus on Sweep or Charge. I mean yeah, three out of four generators are melee range, but that's about the extent of it. It actually doesn't seem like Blizzard knew what they wanted it to be, and it's kind of the middle ground between caster and melee with more of a slant towards caster.

Teknoman

The worst is Spirit Barrage because it quite literally drowns out every single other sound in the game. Music, dialogue, ambient? Forget about those, if you're a WD using sb all you're going to hear is: SSSSSSHHHHHWWWWWWWHHHHHHEEEEEE X 10,000,000. It doesn't matter if you turn the sound on the effects down either, it's going to override everything!

Glad im not the only one. I like bone crunching, flesh flaying, diablo sound effects as much as the next guy, but this far into the game life cycle...this shouldnt be a problem.

Oh and quick question, anyone know whats causing this graphic glitch on low end PCs?
The card is a Radeon 2900 but all drivers are up to date. Even tried disabling Catalyst AI.

Seems to only glitch up when you actually approach the area. Once you're right next to it, the artifacts just go away. Could be just the effects of an old card (cant have two current standards gaming PCs in the house lol), but maybe not since its not like the effect is permanent.

So I went home for lunch and did a quick test with my monk.

Swapped out MoC for MoE/backlash. I then swapped a passive for the bonus to dodge based on CC. This got my base dodge up to almost 50%. It was far more survivable solo and with the backlash procs I didn't really loose any real DPS. I might have actually gained some.

Trickster

My Reaper of Souls impression. Now, before any of you read this, please remember that these are just my views on the expansion, not yours.

So here we go. Lack of content. This is pretty noticeable. One new act, that takes 4½ hours for me on hardcore while playing on hard, listening to all conversations and exploring every nook and crany fully. That's just very short for a 40 euro game expansion. Heart of the Swarm has nearly as many campaign missions as wings of liberty. So Blizzard own other expansion help perpetuate that feeling of a lack of content with RoS. Then there's the (imo) big issue with the expansion only having
one proper cgi cutscene
. Don't think this is something blizzard has ever done before, and it comes off as a very sad surprise when you get to that point in the game.

Gem crafting + lvl 70 legendary crafting is much too expensive and much too boring. Anyone who didn't have litterally tens of millions ready to burn at the start of this expansion will not have gold to craft good gems for a long ass time. And I think anyone can agree that having to use a max lvl gem to craft a single piece of a specific legendary, especially for people who weren't multi millionaires at that start of the expansion. Then there's the problem with the other crafting materials, having to look for certain white items isn't that hard, because you can get them pretty easily by running a certain area for armor and weapon racks over and over, but that shit is fucking boring and feels completely silly. Then there's the specific legendary crafting mats, those are bad because they rely very heavily on rng, I got my angelic shard the second try on izual. But some of my friends have tried to kill the bosses they need for more than than ten times without getting anything, at which point they've said "fuck it, I'd rather play in groups with my friends".

Adventure mode, the much hyped new game mode that's going to save diablo 3 and yada yada yada. Been doing bounties for a few hours since yesterday, and Already I'm getting sick and tired of some of them, they are simply not fun to do. Having to find a cave, then enter it, then find level 2, then kill every mob in it get's real boring, real fast. This also applies to other bounties. Bounties being quite boring and repetitive also isn't helped by the fact that the horadric cache you get after doing all 5 bounties in an act drops pretty much nothing interesting, ever. It's like killing a treasure goblin...
The last I'll mention are the rifts. These pretty much do exactly what they were advertised to do, random everything dungeons. But it feels like some things that are randomized, shouldnt be. Quite often I'll hit a level, or entire dungeons, that just has very low mob density, and it just makes doing that level or rifts super boring. This is really hammered home when that rifts ends up taking 15+ minutes of you walking the majority of the rift, rather than fighting. A big problem I think, is that rift don't really feel like the "must play" feature in the expansion. There's not a really big incentive to do rifts, other than the change of scenery. The rift guardians at the end are nice and all, but almost all of them offer zero resistance, and they don't really drop much of note. I've done probably 20+ rifts by now, and gotten one legendary item and a handfull of forgotten souls from rift guardians. I really think rift guardians need to offer more incentive for players to do rifts, because I think people will grow tired of rifts very quickly once the initial expansion excitement dies down. (litterally as i was typing this part about rifts, a friend on mumble said "these rifts are really boring")

TLDR - not enough new content, crafting is not good, adventure mode is dissapointing

Teknoman

My Reaper of Souls impression. Now, before any of you read this, please remember that these are just my views on the expansion, not yours.

So here we go. Lack of content. This is pretty noticeable. One new act, that takes 4½ hours for me on hardcore while playing on hard, listening to all conversations and exploring every nook and crany fully. That's just very short for a 40 euro game expansion. Heart of the Swarm has nearly as many campaign missions as wings of liberty. So Blizzard own other expansion help perpetuate that feeling of a lack of content with RoS. Then there's the (imo) big issue with the expansion only having
one proper cgi cutscene
. Don't think this is something blizzard has ever done before, and it comes off as a very sad surprise when you get to that point in the game.

Gem crafting + lvl 70 legendary crafting is much too expensive and much too boring. Anyone who didn't have litterally tens of millions ready to burn at the start of this expansion will not have gold to craft good gems for a long ass time. And I think anyone can agree that having to use a max lvl gem to craft a single piece of a specific legendary, especially for people who weren't multi millionaires at that start of the expansion. Then there's the problem with the other crafting materials, having to look for certain white items isn't that hard, because you can get them pretty easily by running a certain area for armor and weapon racks over and over, but that shit is fucking boring and feels completely silly. Then there's the specific legendary crafting mats, those are bad because they rely very heavily on rng, I got my angelic shard the second try on izual. But some of my friends have tried to kill the bosses they need for more than than ten times without getting anything, at which point they've said "fuck it, I'd rather play in groups with my friends".

Adventure mode, the much hyped new game mode that's going to save diablo 3 and yada yada yada. Been doing bounties for a few hours since yesterday, and Already I'm getting sick and tired of some of them, they are simply not fun to do. Having to find a cave, then enter it, then find level 2, then kill every mob in it get's real boring, real fast. This also applies to other bounties. Bounties being quite boring and repetitive also isn't helped by the fact that the horadric cache you get after doing all 5 bounties in an act drops pretty much nothing interesting, ever. It's like killing a treasure goblin...
The last I'll mention are the rifts. These pretty much do exactly what they were advertised to do, random everything dungeons. But it feels like some things that are randomized, shouldnt be. Quite often I'll hit a level, or entire dungeons, that just has very low mob density, and it just makes doing that level or rifts super boring. This is really hammered home when that rifts ends up taking 15+ minutes of you walking the majority of the rift, rather than fighting. A big problem I think, is that rift don't really feel like the "must play" feature in the expansion. There's not a really big incentive to do rifts, other than the change of scenery. The rift guardians at the end are nice and all, but almost all of them offer zero resistance, and they don't really drop much of note. I've done probably 20+ rifts by now, and gotten one legendary item and a handfull of forgotten souls from rift guardians. I really think rift guardians need to offer more incentive for players to do rifts, because I think people will grow tired of rifts very quickly once the initial expansion excitement dies down. (litterally as i was typing this part about rifts, a friend on mumble said "these rifts are really boring")

TLDR - not enough new content, crafting is not good, adventure mode is dissapointing

It would have been nice to have two new characters ala Lord of Destruction at least, but I think they're supposed to making at least 3 expansions?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Fyi there is some really great rifts that occur. One I was playing had like 150 elite packs. Some other people have run into over 100 goblins

Just like loot not every rift is going to be awesome and neither are you going to come out with something new and shiny every time. A loot run is a place that maximizes your potential of earning loot.

Bounties (horadric caches) -> loot run (blood shards) -> kadala(?) For your ultimate last chance

You can complain about bounties and loot runs all you want, but I'd rather do that than look! More hidden footprints!

I woke up and thought positively. "All my legendary drops will not be garbage today," I said to myself. I get my first drop, and it's a set chest. My hopes are high.

Fuck. Over 25 legendaries in RoS now, still only two of them useable (not counting the three I put on my enchantress).
I've now made it my goal to collect the Firebird set. That looks amazing.

What difficulty were you playing on when this dropped?

Trickster

It would have been nice to have two new characters ala Lord of Destruction at least, but I think they're supposed to making at least 3 expansions?

Yes only one new class is also very dissapointing, and another notch in the "light on content" feeling this expansion has going.

And I'm sure there'll be more than this expansion. But I would hope Blizzard's mindset these days don't restrict them to think "one act, one feature and one class per expansion". But with how light this expansion is, plus the extra money grab they're planning on doing with the new 50$ WoW expansion, I wouldn't be surprised if the one of everything thing is what's actually going to happen each diablo expansion :(

Nokterian

Fyi there is some really great rifts that occur. One I was playing had like 150 elite packs. Some other people have run into over 100 goblins

Just like loot not every rift is going to be awesome and neither are you going to come out with something new and shiny every time. A loot run is a place that maximizes your potential of earning loot.

Bounties (horadric caches) -> loot run (blood shards) -> kadala(?) For your ultimate last chance

You can complain about bounties and loot runs all you want, but I'd rather do that than look! More hidden footprints!

I agree with this,the whole game has changed so mutch it is FUN instead of NO FUN at least 2 years ago. The AH ruined what diablo was meaning to play. And seeing that the next big patch will have ladders and challenge rifts are going to be awesome.

A character in Diablo 3 is so much more complex in terms of abilities (many, many more actives and actually unique passives [rather than "+% 2hand axe damage"]) and the sfx for every single rune combination, the armor models for male and female version (each piece of armor looks different per character and sex); then there's more voice acting, pre-rendered cutscene integration and overall a lot more background story to the class. A new spender-resource is there as well.

A lot of that is creative work that simply cannot be done twice as fast with more people and better software. It gets especially more difficult the more classes there already are and the more completely new stuff you got to think about.

Ultimately it's still easy to say "yeh but LoD had 2, period" but I personally know that the workload doesn't even compare. But I also don't think of Diablo 2 as highly as a lot other people do. LoD certainly didn't add as much to D2 as RoS did to D3. Whether that's enough or is good enough for standards nowadays, that's for each person to decide.

huxley00

Yes only one new class is also very dissapointing, and another notch in the "light on content" feeling this expansion has going.

And I'm sure there'll be more than this expansion. But I would hope Blizzard's mindset these days don't restrict them to think "one act, one feature and one class per expansion". But with how light this expansion is, plus the extra money grab they're planning on doing with the new 50$ WoW expansion, I wouldn't be surprised if the one of everything thing is what's actually going to happen each diablo expansion :(

To be fair, I think we really should include patch 2.0 as part of this expansion. It was the driving factor and most of those changes went along with the changes they wanted to make in this expansion. I know I may be apologizing for Blizzard a bit here, but thats my take on it.

Gothos

A character in Diablo 3 is so much more complex in terms of abilities (many, many more actives and actually unique passives [rather than "+% 2hand axe damage"]) and the sfx for every single rune combination, the armor models for male and female version (each piece of armor looks different per character and sex); then there's more voice acting, pre-rendered cutscene integration and overall a lot more background story to the class. A new spender-resource is there as well.

A lot of that is creative work that simply cannot be done twice as fast with more people and better software. It gets especially more difficult the more classes there already are and the more completely new stuff you got to think about.

Ultimately it's still easy to say "yeh but LoD had 2, period" but I personally know that the workload doesn't even compare. But I also don't think of Diablo 2 as highly as a lot other people do. LoD certainly didn't add as much to D2 as RoS did to D3. Whether that's enough or is good enough for standards nowadays, that's for each person to decide.

You can say whatever you want but Blizzard is really, really slow in terms of serving new content for their games. They are probably one of the worst companies in that regard since they their philosophy is = all new content goes to exp. pack and what happens in between them is just cosmetic stuff. And judging by RoS even their expansions are getting worse...

RS4-

My problem with RoS is just the legendary mat stuff (for now).

Gold isn't an issue for me, I'm sitting at 290m. But the gold rewards are hilariously bad, so I see how big an issue it is for even people that are only sitting on 10m.

Not sure if it'd be a good idea or not, but they could make gold scale on crafting/rewards. Got a billion gold? Make it cost x% to craft this gem, etc.
While someone with less gold pays the x% of theirs as well. Crafting a gem that costs 1m is different to someone with 10m, and someone with 100m.

eek5

My problem with RoS is just the legendary mat stuff (for now).

Gold isn't an issue for me, I'm sitting at 290m. But the gold rewards are hilariously bad, so I see how big an issue it is for even people that are only sitting on 10m.

Not sure if it'd be a good idea or not, but they could make gold scale on crafting/rewards. Got a billion gold? Make it cost x% to craft this gem, etc.
While someone with less gold pays the x% of theirs as well. Crafting a gem that costs 1m is different to someone with 10m, and someone with 100m.

As long as you're not going down a huge hole and rolling something 100 times or crafting rare chest pieces ( seriously, don't do this) it isn't that bad.

I actually went up in gold while doing mystic rolling until I crafted chest pieces and made some gems.

Sanctuary

Still can't kill a fucking treasure goblin for the life of me as a Crusader. It's goddamn ridiculous. I've managed to kill three out of twelve so far, and that was at the lower levels.

You can say whatever you want but Blizzard is really, really slow in terms of serving new content for their games..

Well it's hard for me to compare. Because Torchlight and Path of Exile aren't comparable in terms of production quality.

I can certainly say that Valve shows that you can develop and upgrade more frequently with high quality results, as they manage to do that with Dota 2 right now. And Blizzard's weakness is certainly their online platform stuff, meaning BNet2.0.
They are probably one of the worst companies in that regard since they their philosophy is = all new content goes to exp. pack and what happens in between them is just cosmetic stuff. And judging by RoS even their expansions are getting worse...

That is straight out bullshit though. Are you telling me you ignore all of the many big patches that came out for Diablo 3, including freaking Loot 2.0 stuff thats available for vanilla users as well?

And Starcraft 2 is also getting plenty upgrades all the time. Worst company in that aspect? Yeh, lemme have a good laugh at that.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So this skorn just dropped and I'm trying to decide what to use here -

Vs.

The Skorn is a 20% sheet dps increase over the azurewrath combo. But I could (and am) using a full cold build with the Azurewrath. Which should I use? Do they essentially balance out due to the +cold damage? Obviously I wouldnt be using a full cold build with the skorn, but yeah.

Dahbomb

Yeah I don't like the high gold costs. It's not an issue for me even though I went in with only 15 million gold. The gold from bounties isn't enough... you don't get enough gold from bounties unless you play high torment levels.

Don't like the Legendary craft mats either but right now I either lack the plan or the Legendary craft mat anyway so I am not going to get into crafting anytime soon.

I really like Adventure mode and Rifts though. I also like Enchanting gear which has really been the main motivation behind running Bounties/Rift for those craft mats especially Death's Breath. Rift Guardians have been rewarding for me, I have gotten Legendaries from them and they very commonly drop Forgotten Souls which I need for Enchanting Legendaries.

I still don't understand why they nerfed mob EXP. Bounties would've still yielded more EXP. A Rift on Torment 1 gives you almost 20 million EXP just for completing it. I honestly believe Bounties are still more rewarding EXP wise than COTA especially if you run Bounties efficiently (that is you just focus on the objective rather than killing everything in your way).

The whole point of Adventure mode is to prevent people from farming the same spot and in that regard it succeeds. The monotony of farming is greatly reduced because of it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Playing with my Wizard friend and he gets this, it took me 10 rerolls to get the socket after he traded it to me:

tbbGfK0.jpg

Now I just need the shield that removes the MSP from Heavenly Strength.

Kenaras

There's something wrong with the "smart" loot. I get nothing but barbarian belts and shitty crossbows/bows for my wizard. ;_;

Same thing with my Monk. At first I wrote it off as bad RNG, but eventually the odds just become statistically impossible. I mean, if bows/crossbows are going to drop constantly, it would be nice if just one of them was at least good for my Scoundrel. Nope, nothing but Intelligence; Intelligence as far as the eye can see. (Barbarian belts are everywhere too, but at least those were fixed to always have the correct primary attribute.)

Dahbomb

I got a beast Quiver while playing a Monk. I was almost about to salvage it when I looked at the stats closely... Hatred Regen, max attack speed, high CC, high Dex even +max discipline in the secondary slot.

Trickster

To be fair, I think we really should include patch 2.0 as part of this expansion. It was the driving factor and most of those changes went along with the changes they wanted to make in this expansion. I know I may be apologizing for Blizzard a bit here, but thats my take on it.

That's fair enough, and certainly that would make Reaper of Souls look better as a whole. But the 2.0 patch hardly cured diablo 3 of all the problems it had.

It ruined 2 handers for everyone below lvl 61, whether they've bought the expansion or not.

Stats on items still rely very heavily on the str/dex/int/all res/cc/chd stats. Legendary affixes and skill dmg modifiers does help a bit to allow for some variance. Though a lot of legendary affixes won't allow the legendary item to replace a very good rare, unless the rare is as good, or almost as good, as the rare you want to replace. But in the end, the old stats still make or breaks virtually any item in the game.

No trading is almost as bad as ruining trading by having the AH. It means that the all decent legendaries you find, that aren't a direct upgrade for the character you find it on, won't be used for anything other than salvage.

D3 is certainly better now that it was when it originally released. But it still has a lot of problems, some of which have been attempted fixed by a bandaid, ignoring underlying problems in the game.

That's what I was going to say. If anything, the biggest part of the expansion is loot 2.0, we just got it early. Same way cataclysm redesigned the world in wow, this is a redesign on how the game plays. If Blizz waited much longer I think Diablo probably wouldn't have been saved, or turned into something fun like it is now.

I think the big thing that blizz still fucked up on was the AH. They went from everything working around that to not having it at all, and then going a step further and having trading basically GONE from the game. That was a really shitty thing to do.

Gold isn't supposed to be easy to get. That's why they give massive bonuses to goldfind in upper torment levels, give you paragon points to slot for GF and gear with gold find. It's meant to be an item that's scarce. You're not supposed to be crafting the best stuff and building the best gems 3 days into release.

I also thinks it's funny anyone thinks rifts and bounties are boring. Especially rifts. We've been clamoring for randomized dungeons and we get them and their boring? Is it more boring than running the same act over and over? IMO, if you think rifts are boring, then it's likely diablo just isn't for you or you're burned out.

I do agree he expansion feels light, but what we got I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom