• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzle24

Here's a dumb question about Diablo III: Is equipping a weapon actually beneficial even if the character doesn't actually use it? I mean, I'm using a Wizard, and basically shooting beams and projectiles from my hands, so does equipping a 1200dmg poison sword actually do anything?

I understand I can unequip a spell and have the weapon assigned to that button, but does the character benefit from the stats by just equipping a weapon?

Sorry, I'm new to this game.

Thanks yo.

Taz

Big shout out to EU Gaf played today in a full group doing bountys and rifts on T1 with my monk went from 180k dps 2mil toughness to 510k dps to 9.5mil toughness.

The mystic is like crack and it can be so frustrating lol trying to socket my crystal fist 20 trys abd no joy , a yellow upgrade dropped that I needed to socket and got it first try.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Here's a dumb question about Diablo III: Is equipping a weapon actually beneficial even if the character doesn't actually use it? I mean, I'm using a Wizard, and basically shooting beams and projectiles from my hands, so does equipping a 1200dmg poison sword actually do anything?

I understand I can unequip a spell and have the weapon assigned to that button, but does the character benefit from the stats by just equipping a weapon?

Thanks yo.

Yes, weapon effects virtually everything you do.

br3wnor

Thanks yo.

Your magic DPS is based off your weapon DPS (among other stats) so yeah, the higher DPS weapon you equip, the more damage your spells do. It's a great system

Maximus.

Am now trying to play my lvl 60 (now almost 65) Barb through Torment 1 Act 5. Didn't have that great gear anymore but equipped what I had left and it was pretty decent actually. Even put a really good lvl 70 rare belt with -lvl on him.

But bleh. He just isn't even remotely as fun as my DH, and let's not even compare him to my Wiz with Tal Rasha set bonus. You're constantly low on fury, you generate fury relatively slowly all things considered, and you simply do not have the sustained damage output to make up for that.

Passives are meh. I guess you can get really high toughness but the problem is dishing out damage and moving around quickly.

I feel the same with my barb who used to be my main. I got through act v with him, but before the expansion and even now, his dps is just not appealing and his skillset is fairly boring. I have a wizard I really like, but hoping that crusader can hold his own at level 70.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Your magic DPS is based off your weapon DPS (among other stats) so yeah, the higher DPS weapon you equip, the more damage your spells do. It's a great system

Well it's certainly A system.

Anoregon

I haven't started act 5 yet because I'm waiting for my wife. Just a quick question though, when do I get access to transmog things?

You find mystic lady pretty early. Not like within 5 minutes, but certainly in the first quarter or so of the act.

Dawg

screenshot006v3cx7.jpg

c-come at me bro

Anoregon

Bout to head home. Cant' decide if I'm gonna level lowbie crusader or 60 WD. Probably WD. May the adventure mode loot gods smile 'pon me.

Sothpaw

I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but the monster density was lowered again on the PC version as well. So much so that it almost feels like the console version more often than not. Monster density was one of the biggest factors seperating the two for gameplay. And yes, using the mouse is more precise, but the controller wasn't as awful as many expected. It handles really well, and certainly way better than the awful Diablo port on the first Playstation.

Try adventure mode. Controls and UI you agree with me (works fine but can't cast precision spells on the mob you want to). Again, no one is bad mouthing the console version, but if someone is asking for advice the console version really isn't the way to go. Unless you don't have a good internet connection in 2014 in which case ps4 all day.

Sanctuary

God, you guys weren't joking about the density in Adventure Mode. It actually almost feels like Diablo again. Also, the third bounty I did was Den of the Fallen 2...anyone else get hit really hard with nostalgia when seeing "4 enemies left"? All that was missing was the light beams.

Sothpaw

Did they change the Adria fight music from the beta? I remember it being more subtle and haunting from watching beta streams. Was disappointed when I got there. The boss fight before her was well done though.

robochimp

Pre 2.0 I only got a handful of legendaries.

Post 2.0 I keep on getting those same legendaries.

Throughout playing D3 I've now gotten

3 Goldskins
3 Gladiator Gauntlets
3 The Grandfathers
2 Odyn Sons
2 SLEDGE OF ATHSKELENGs

The last sledge was finally a replacement for my legacy skorn. The movement speed is great plus 2100 life on hit.

RangerX

Banned
Ok I've just started Act V and I was running through the Plague halls or whatever its called and I thought this place is fucking cool. Then I stumbled upon an event with swirling flame pillars and Revenants. It was pretty tricky. Then after I think I'm done This Pelial fella comes out and kicks the stones out of me. Run back and get him down to half health and then,holy fucking shit balls, another group of elites come out. Died seversal times and had to drop down to master to complete it. Best event in the entire game so far.

I adored Diablo 2 but I actually think D3 has surpassed it now. Its just so much fun. Yes D2 still has greater atmosphere and aesthetic( I love dark,bleak shit) but this has surpassed it in every other department.

Shouta

The 9% dam on the Won Khim?

Edit: didn't see the "%" in your post previously, makes it pretty obvious. Good thinking, will do.

Yeah. It's a useless stat because it affects the final value and at that low of a number, you'll get far more value from a socket with a ruby or emerald.

Wallach

Really enjoying the transmogrify option:

z8aQuU8.jpg

Been playing my ass off since release, up to 760k damage and 7.4m toughness. The party doesn't start until I find my Cindercoat though...

I got my barb up to 70. Should I still play with him, cause all I see are cool items for other classes and not barbs. I want a class that can do well and is fun to play. Any input on this guys?

Zeliard

There's something wrong with the "smart" loot. I get nothing but barbarian belts and shitty crossbows/bows for my wizard. ;_;

Yes, it's struck me that the smart loot mechanic is notably less pronounced than it was pre-expansion. I'm getting a lot more non-Wizard loot than I was prior.

There's a particular oddity when it comes to Barbarian belt drops with non-Barbs, but that seems to be a widespread issue that will undoubtedly be patched.

kanuuna

Finished Act V with my Wizard on Expert, ended up at level 68. Finished every quest and played through it solo with the Templar taking most of the hits for me. Really liked it, except for
the non-existant ending CG outro I expect from a Blizzard title.
I liked the new monsters, the cooler colour palette and loved the soundtrack. The CE Behind-The-Scenes blu-ray was also an interesting thing to watch - the feature on opening cinematic in particular. It actually left me with the impression
the story of the expansion was more or less written around that cinematic

I should probably try out adventure mode and maybe try another class. I actually still haven't played any other class than Wizard past a single digit level.

Zeliard

I should probably try out adventure mode and maybe try another class. I actually still haven't played any other class than Wizard past a single digit level.

Try out Demon Hunter. I think DH is easily the most fun class I've played from a pure mechanics standpoint (haven't yet tried Barb or Crusader). Great mobility and some fun abilities that keep you engaged.

My main is a Wizard but that's because he's far more powerful and well-equipped than my other chars. Three of the abilities I have on him are passives, so he's not nearly as fun to actually play the game with. Great farmer, though.

th3dude

Really enjoying the transmogrify option:

z8aQuU8.jpg

Been playing my ass off since release, up to 760k damage and 7.4m toughness. The party doesn't start until I find my Cindercoat though...

I found a lvl 60 Cindercoat like 3 days ago. I loved it but now at 70 it isn't worth using. I want another one!

Zeliard

I found a lvl 60 Cindercoat like 3 days ago. I loved it but now at 70 it isn't worth using. I want another one!

I had a three-set level 60 Tal Rasha that fairly quickly became obsolete. Made me sad :<

I'm still amazed I got all three of those set pieces to drop in the same day, in only a few short hours of play. I want that sort of RNG luck again.

Damaniel

Banned
What's the best difficulty to pick when starting a new character?

Depends on how hard you want it to be. Normal is pretty much useless even for brand new characters with no gems or other previous character support - it's laughably easy. I played my newest character on hard (one step up) with minimal extra support (just a couple gems after I started getting socketed stuff). There's probably people here who will tell you it isn't fun to start a new character unless you torture yourself by playing at a much higher difficulty than that (though the rewards do ramp up pretty quickly if you're willing to take the risk).

My recommendation - set it to hard (especially if you don't have much gear or many gems to provide support) and see how it goes. You can always change it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom