• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the other day ... there was no way in hell I could solo Malthael on Torment 1. I would die within the first 20 seconds of the fight.

Tonight I got this. May not be special for many but man.. It feels good. So much better and easier now.

psUobUj.png

Also my Witch Doctor looks amazing. Like a transformer or something.

OGUIAFk.png

I've really upped my DPS on my pets. My fetishes/sycophants are now hitting for about 1.5 - 1.8 million damage. Torment 1 has become really easy now.

Profile:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PezRadar-1470/hero/41161133

I mainly spec'd a ton of my gear to have +Physical Damage and/or +Firebat Damage. My Fetish/Sycophants are my main attack along with Vampire bats. I use Piranhado to suck them all in and can vamp bat them down in seconds while spawning a ton of pets. I also Spirit Barrage for the DPS boost

My Damage is actually at 527k. Not sure why it shows less on the profile page but most of that stuff can be boosted if I want but I rather not lose my +35% Physical and +20-30% on Firebats that I have on some of those items. (Also profile isn't showing some of them as they were done by the Mystic and the profile doesn't show the enchant stuff)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Did the original classes get any new skills with the expansion or just a balance pass?

Wizard got Black Hole - sucks enemies in and can be runed to suck in (and remove) elite affixes (arcane beams, waller walls, etc)

Demon Hunter got Vengeance - for a short period of time you shoot off extra projectiles (kind of like the "Options" in Gradius)

Monk got Epiphany - every attack teleports you to your target and you get some healing and a lot of spirit gen..basically makes spenders almost free. Lasts for a short time.

Barb got Avalanche - call down a bunch of rocks from the sky

Witch Doctor got Piranhas - summon a pool of piranhas. Enemies hit by it take increased damage for X seconds.

They also added several passives for each class. Check the game guide for more info.

No, I didn't luck out.

The more you play the game, the more shards you get. The more shards you get, the higher chance (technically) you'll be getting better items. I've spent a lot of blood shards - the point of the quote was to prove that it's far from "more garbage".

Why is this difficult to understand?

Guys, listen up. This is a loot based based game, ok? You are not supposed to rain the best items from the sky during the first week or month of gameplay. I play this game a mega ton, we are talking on avg. well over ten hours a day right now (I do not want to hear judgment calls, mind your own business). The more you play the more items you are going to get, the more items you get the greater the chance that they are going to be good items. It isn't a complex formula.

Blood shards are there as a way to try for items that you are just not getting through normal drops. Expect to spend 250 shards before you find something remotely usable. Understand that this varies based on how good your gear is. If you have good gear, expect to spend 500, 1000, etc.

Yoshi is right, you can and will get good items from gambling; but, if you go in with 25 shards expecting to pull a solid item you are kidding yourself. Luckily you can re-roll stats, you need to start thinking outside the box. Look at the items, look at what can be re-rolled, profit.

I've pulled 4+ upgrades from the shard vendor today alone.

940k dmg, 9m toughness, buffed of course. Melting T1 like butter.

Kssio_Aug

How hard it is to drop the higher jewel plans?

I already crafted some decent stuff, and am with a level 70 azurewrath with 115% crit emerald. Still, my DPS is only 350k (when buffed) and my toughness not higher than 2.5m. Am I doing something wrong, or it just takes more time to get nice geared?

Well slowly but surely my Wizard is getting upgrades. I managed to replaced my legacy triumvirate with a rare source. I never thought I'd replace it b/c of the % damage modifiers and how they scale so well...but I did.. and with a rare no less.

I'm sitting at like 750dps and 13m toughness right now which is pretty good for still having so many level 60 items.

Oh, and I hate leveling the crusader. I hated it during the beta and I still hate it now. I got to level 7 then stopped. Just don't like the class. Takes forever to kill things (or at least it feels like it does).

Are you playing hardcore? 13M toughness is insane. I have no trouble surviving T1 with 5-7M and 1M DPS.

DrBo42

Wizard got Black Hole - sucks enemies in and can be runed to suck in (and remove) elite affixes (arcane beams, waller walls, etc)

Demon Hunter got Vengeance - for a short period of time you shoot off extra projectiles (kind of like the "Options" in Gradius)

Monk got Epiphany - every attack teleports you to your target and you get some healing and a lot of spirit gen..basically makes spenders almost free. Lasts for a short time.

Barb got Avalanche - call down a bunch of rocks from the sky

Witch Doctor got Piranhas - summon a pool of piranhas. Enemies hit by it take increased damage for X seconds.

They also added several passives for each class. Check the game guide for more info.

Much appreciated.

Grampasso

Still need to
kill Adria
. Probably won't be able to play until sunday evening *ragefist*. Will legs drop guaranteed to be lv 70 items at master once I hit lv 70 with my DH?

KuroNeeko

Why is this difficult to understand?

It's not. Gamers are not the same as they were when Diablo II came out. They want more and they want it now.

Part of that is there is an increase in age for your average gamer. These gamers have less time to spend playing and want gratification in the limited time that they have to play the game.

The other part is game design in general. We're so saturated in games now with smartphones, tablets, handhelds, home consoles, and PCs. As more and more games compete for the attention of gamers, they resort to almost gambling-like psychology to hook their gamers. Push a button, get a shiny. When they don't get that shiny, they go somewhere else to get it.

The generation has changed. Look at WoW and what it's become. Blizzard is guilty of this design decision as well.

I DO agree with what you're saying, though. I hadn't seen a single legendary in my entire Diablo III career until 2.0 and then I got 3 in one session. People seem to like it though.

Laieon

Oh, can we have some spoiler discussion about the ending?

So I'm guessing expansion 2 is gonna have us fight the angiris council, or at least Imperius and possibly Tyrael? I mean, he saw us as heroes until the end, then he saw us as a threat, possibly a menace. We saw the writing on the wall with that all through the blood marsh, with the Horadrim guy repeatedly asking us if we were planning to kill Adria. The moment we told him to wait outside, I was like "this is some 'btw your nephalem is a sociopath' style shit".

Thoughts?

If you watch the "Making of" DVD/BluRay they say that originally you were going to fight Imperius this expansion (along with Malthiel), but they couldn't really find a way to make that work.

Dawg

Is hard a good difficulty for co-op? Me and my friend finished Act II on normal (two crusaders lvl 25) but it's too easy. Don't want the difficulty too high (yet) though.

Is hard a good difficulty for co-op? Me and my friend finished Act II on normal (two crusaders lvl 25) but it's too easy. Don't want the difficulty too high (yet) though.

I generally find one level below what I solo is a good level.

So I do Torment 1, in a co-op game I'd probably go Master.

jns

Anyone else having problems creating a game? I'm on US, but as an Aussie, it is local I think. Just stays at estimating 18 seconds :/

Kssio_Aug

Normal is meant to be easy. I wouldnt recommend it if not to farm items. If its easy you can rise the difficulty, till the point you get the right balance. However I dont know how it may be for low level, 0 paragon, and no high gems, but if its too easy right now, do not worry to rise it.

Anyone else having trouble soloing in torment? My Wizard is currently at 500k damage and 5M Toughness and is taking forever to kill elites and bosses. Just took me like ten minutes to kill a rift boss at Torment 1.

This is the third class i've taken to 70 and it seems like Torment is much tougher than it was at 60. Not that i'm complaining, i'll just need to farm more legendary items in Normal i guess.

Dawg

Normal is meant to be easy. I wouldnt recommend it if not to farm items. If its easy you can rise the difficulty, till the point you get the right balance. However I dont know how it may be for low level, 0 paragon, and no high gems, but if its too easy right now, do not worry to rise it.

Yeah, we're pretty much flying through mobs. Not even bosses give us any challenge. I've only died once in a huge pack of elites and they activated those purple lasers.

Does loot get any better on higher difficulties?

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, we're pretty much flying through mobs. Not even bosses give us any challenge. I've only died once in a huge pack of elites and they activated those purple lasers.

Does loot get any better on higher difficulties?

The loot get better (higher chance to drop stuff), but its more effective to loot killing fast at lower difficulty than loot killing slower at higher difficulty. For experience however, you should play where you can still kill fast, but at a more challangening level.
And you dont have to worry about farming loot right now, the gear you drop along the quests and some crafts at the blacksmith will be enough by now.

Dawg

The loot get better (higher chance to drop stuff), but its more effective to loot killing fast at lower difficulty than loot killing slower at higher difficulty. For experience however, you should play where you can still kill fast, but at a more challangening level.
And you dont have to worry about farming loot right now, the gear you drop along the quests and some crafts at the blacksmith will be enough by now.

That's pretty much what I'm doing now, making some crafted gear and salvaging stuff I don't need/use.

Gave this a shot and it's pretty decent, I haven't got much +physical gear, but with my Mask of Jeram my Sycophants crit for around 1.3m.

Yeah .. Loving the build. Was struggling to find something when I first started but switched to Piranhado today and now I'm in love :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Surprisingly long, I thought. Despite there being very little to do, the maps are REALLY large.

Yeah me and my girlfriend have been playing since tuesday for 2-3 hours each evenings, and we just killed the 2nd boss
Adria
yesterday. If the maps and dungeons weren't that huge, we would be finish with it already.

Yeah .. Loving the build. Was struggling to find something when I first started but switched to Piranhado today and now I'm in love :p

Also I never have issues with Mana due to Spirit Walk and of course regenerating 1% per kill which I can get 10-20+ sometimes per kill with Piranhado and Vamp bats killing the small cluster or my pets killing guys.

Profile:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PezRadar-1470/hero/41161133

I mainly spec'd a ton of my gear to have +Physical Damage and/or +Firebat Damage. My Fetish/Sycophants are my main attack along with Vampire bats. I use Piranhado to suck them all in and can vamp bat them down in seconds while spawning a ton of pets. I also Spirit Barrage for the DPS boost

My Damage is actually at 527k. Not sure why it shows less on the profile page but most of that stuff can be boosted if I want but I rather not lose my +35% Physical and +20-30% on Firebats that I have on some of those items. (Also profile isn't showing some of them as they were done by the Mystic and the profile doesn't show the enchant stuff)

Call me crazy but wouldn't it be better to have a emerald in your weapon? You have around 1/4 critical chance at least.

GorillaJu

The RNG gods really wanted me to test out a few things today. I got FOUR one-handed legs over a few hours. Three of them are Crusader-only.

1 of them) Removes resource cost of Blessed Shield, and has Wrath regen. I was testing this out with Blessed Shield as left click and Heaven't Fury (with the rune that removes cooldown in exchange for a 40 Wrath cost). It was fun, but the damage on those two doesn't seem nearly as good as it should be considering they're both spenders.

2nd one) Gives you an 18% movespeed buff for two sec every time you cast Justice. It'd be neat if you're just flying through things to get them done as fast as possible, but I can't see how it'd be that useful for combat.

3rd one) was not Crusader-only. It was King Leoric's Mace, and every 10 kills you release a large poison nova that does 1000% weapon dmg. The nova is amazing, but it seemed like it didn't fit my playstyle. I have trouble killing single targets/bosses, not waves of enemies.

4th one) gives Blessed Hammer the Dominion rune (causes hammers to orbit you instead of the place you cast it), which is cool because you can then add an additional rune, like Endless, ice hammers or flaming hammers. I don't really like "hammerdins" but this is my favorite of the weapons that dropped for me today.

---

I have come to the conclusion that Iron Maiden (passive) + Iron Skin (reflective skin) is the best way to take down elites. I can pop Iron Skin whenever I'm near a constant damage source, like poison ground, molten ground, desolated ground, etc. and elite packs drop like flies. Works on some bosses too, like the Larder, who I can kill in about 10 seconds on Torment 1.

Doesn't seem to work on Malthael's clouds, though. I was hoping I could use it to farm Malth for Reaper's Fear, but he takes like 6 minutes per run on T1, so it's just not happening. :(

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
If you lvl up a character from 0 directly through adventure mode, do you automatically unlock companions (and other NPCs) as you gain lvls, or do you have to do their respective quests in campaign mode?

DSmalls84

If you lvl up a character from 0 directly through adventure mode, do you automatically unlock companions (and other NPCs) as you gain lvls, or do you have to do their respective quests in campaign mode?

While I was playing last night I remember unlocking the Templar.

huxley00

That's fair enough, and certainly that would make Reaper of Souls look better as a whole. But the 2.0 patch hardly cured diablo 3 of all the problems it had.

It ruined 2 handers for everyone below lvl 61, whether they've bought the expansion or not.

Stats on items still rely very heavily on the str/dex/int/all res/cc/chd stats. Legendary affixes and skill dmg modifiers does help a bit to allow for some variance. Though a lot of legendary affixes won't allow the legendary item to replace a very good rare, unless the rare is as good, or almost as good, as the rare you want to replace. But in the end, the old stats still make or breaks virtually any item in the game.

No trading is almost as bad as ruining trading by having the AH. It means that the all decent legendaries you find, that aren't a direct upgrade for the character you find it on, won't be used for anything other than salvage.

D3 is certainly better now that it was when it originally released. But it still has a lot of problems, some of which have been attempted fixed by a bandaid, ignoring underlying problems in the game.

I completely agree with your last point. Finding fat loot and then trading it, giving it or selling it away is at the very heart of Diablo.

Oppo

This game really missed it's chance on PS4, for me. It's just fucking late as .. yes, hell.

I was really excited to play this as I quite like the console controls but Blizzard has yet again managed to extinguish all hype by just being fucking SLOW. I can't believe how slow they are sometimes.

Not that they care about me, they've made their sales. But goddamn guys. Pick up the pace.

meep!

Neo Member
So I just found this little baby a few minutes ago.

k6FzNjQ.png

Trying to reroll what currently is Vit into crit chance, but other than that. I think I'm pretty good with shields for awhile. That bonus is so nice, finally got my movement speed back while using 2h + shield!

garath

Dinged 70 last night. Master is about the max I can handle. Killed the first boss Uzreil no problem (I imagine this is much easier as a ranged class).

The zones are so damn big though. I usually get 30min to an hour to play and I can't even get through a single zone in that time frame. I end up replaying zones over and over. I'm just in the marshes and already getting paragon levels again lol.

Gotten a few gear upgrades but still only around 180k dps and 1.5mil toughness. Maxed the jeweler. What the heck are these costs? 200k to make an imperial? 200k to remove two imperials from armor? ouch man.

Morokh

If you watch the "Making of" DVD/BluRay they say that originally you were going to fight Imperius this expansion (along with Malthiel), but they couldn't really find a way to make that work.

Frankly, what they did doesn't work either ..... xD

Got that yesterday and was able to play through ActV .... and boy was that BAD from beginning to end ....
Only thing I kind of appreciated was the first big bossfight that was finally something else than pure faceroll.

I'm not one to be particularly picky about writing (Hell I can play Skyrim and not be bothered with it ...) but this expansion really is something else.
Imperius is just the worst character ever written, Malthael is a forgettable villain at best, Tyrael's only reason to still be here is to be the guy that gives quests.

So with Vanilla they served us a top down view Devil May Cry, in this expansion, they even took a page from the God of War book as Icing on the cake (
the fight on the battering ram .... really ??!?
)

Overall it really feels like a big DLC more than a real expansion pack, and boy this ending .... not even a proper cinematic and more cliche than ever .....

I'll stick with it a bit longer to test out the Templar and Adventure mode a bit deeper but really without any enthusiasm.

Speaking of Adventure mode I did a bounty run just to see what that was about, and it really feels like " we know our story sucks, let's skip it altogether " mode.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Last night I played for about 15 mins before a rare-socketed 2h sword dropped that made my Skorn obsolete.

Dat feeeeeel

It's good to work again.

I just want to say, this game is fantastic!

If I take my DH into Adventure mode for a bit to gain some levels will I lose my place in Act V? I assume not, but I don't know anything about Adventure mode yet.

x-Lundz-x

So I took my WD to level 70 first. I almost died on hard mode fighting Malthael, was pretty damn scary (I only play HC) but it was awesome. Piranhado is freaking awesome btw. Working on my Crusader now.

What are your thoughts for best combination of passives for level 70 crusader?

garath

I just want to say, this game is fantastic!

If I take my DH into Adventure mode for a bit to gain some levels will I lose my place in Act V? I assume not, but I don't know anything about Adventure mode yet.

The answer would be no, but you can't access Adventure mode until you beat Act V once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom