• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmalls84

So I took my WD to level 70 first. I almost died on hard mode fighting Malthael, was pretty damn scary (I only play HC) but it was awesome. Piranhado is freaking awesome btw. Working on my Crusader now.

What are your thoughts for best combination of passives for level 70 crusader?

I was looking at them yesterday trying to decide. Think I'm going to use Heavenly Strength and the Blessed hammer Damage Buff for sure. The passive that heals you for every block sounded nice as well.

I was looking at them yesterday trying to decide. Think I'm going to use Heavenly Strength and the Blessed hammer Damage Buff for sure. The passive that heals you for every block sounded nice as well.

The heal on block sounds, op, but when I tested it yesterday at level 53~ I think it didn't do jack shit. That's with using the primary attack that gives you additional block chance too. Most elite packs hit with some kinda elemental stuff ground damage or projectile and that's where all of their damage comes from, so I don't think it's as useful as it seems. Unless you can block ground stuff, which I never noticed.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
After getting a cloak of garwulf and a lightning SOJ last night, I decided to mess with the skill calc to try and figure what a sweet lightning+companion build would be if I ever get a kridershot. Ended up with this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#RedSOl!c!aYbcZZ
(ignore passives, left that blank)

That build looks so good to me. plz giev krider :(

DSmalls84

The heal on block sounds, op, but when I tested it yesterday at level 53~ I think it didn't do jack shit. That's with using the primary attack that gives you additional block chance too. Most elite packs hit with some kinda elemental stuff ground damage or projectile and that's where all of their damage comes from, so I don't think it's as useful as it seems. Unless you can block ground stuff, which I never noticed.

That's a good point. I was thinking it would be awesome to stack that skill with the other passive that gives you more block chance but takes away your dodge. Might just be using the skills that increase your armor and wrath pool then.

Frankly, what they did doesn't work either ..... xD

Got that yesterday and was able to play through ActV .... and boy was that BAD from beginning to end ....
Only thing I kind of appreciated was the first big bossfight that was finally something else than pure faceroll.

I'm not one to be particularly picky about writing (Hell I can play Skyrim and not be bothered with it ...) but this expansion really is something else.
Imperius is just the worst character ever written, Malthael is a forgettable villain at best, Tyrael's only reason to still be here is to be the guy that gives quests.

So with Vanilla they served us a top down view Devil May Cry, in this expansion, they even took a page from the God of War book as Icing on the cake (
the fight on the battering ram .... really ??!?
)

Overall it really feels like a big DLC more than a real expansion pack, and boy this ending .... not even a proper cinematic and more cliche than ever .....

I'll stick with it a bit longer to test out the Templar and Adventure mode a bit deeper but really without any enthusiasm.

Speaking of Adventure mode I did a bounty run just to see what that was about, and it really feels like " we know our story sucks, let's skip it altogether " mode.

You're worried about the story in a loot game?

I'm a writer and even I accepted a long time ago that this series is not to be played for plot.

Loot and scoot.... that is all.

The answer would be no, but you can't access Adventure mode until you beat Act V once.

Cool, thanks. Yeah I understand that, I have started a Crusader and am taking it very slowly once through Acts 1-5 to get the story again. Then I want to get my DH to a point where I will beat the final boss in Act 5 at Level 70. Currently only 53 just searching ever single corner of the map in Act 5.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm going really slow through Act V (made it to Level 70 before
Urzael
, though granted I had to rush through Act 2-4 to catch up...stupid quest reset...so I was like 62 when I started Act V). Doing every event that I see...and I've seen like 10 already o_O.

Though,
Urzael
was ridiculously easy for my Wiz. I can imagine melee having a slightly harder time, but other than having a huge HP sink, he was easy on Torment 1.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The difficulty ramp throughout Act 5 is fairly brutal. I started out on Torment 1 and was doing fairly well at the start. At some point a few hours in I bumped it down to Master when I came across an elite pack that was just too much for me. And now last night, I'm finally near the end of Act 5 (I think), in the
Pandemonium Fortress
, and the demons in here are just slaughtering me. It actually started right before that area, on top of the
battering ram to break into the fortress
. Man on that thing I just could not survive long enough to complete it, no matter what I tried, so I bumped it down yet again to Expert. And even there I'm having trouble surviving.

Hit 70 a while ago, been exploring every nook and cranny along the way. I'm pretty sure I'm right at the end and close to the final boss, so tonight I should finally get a chance to try out Adventure Mode.

glaurung

Though,
Urzael
was ridiculously easy for my Wiz. I can imagine melee having a slightly harder time, but other than having a huge HP sink, he was easy on Torment 1.
I did not have a hard time with him when fighting as a DH either. I guess the problem at top difficulty comes from his telegraphed attacks and the narrow arena where you fight him.

He does spam those flame wall things a lot.

I got up to 65 before I stopped playing last night. I also received my CE box only yesterday. Stopped when I entered
Pandemonium

Kacho

I've had a different problem ever since patch 2.0: in the cutscene menus I have all the narrated-by-your-character cutscenes, but none of the end-of-act cutscenes (except the vanilla ending)!

What's up with that?

Ok so I'm not crazy. Same here.

I stopped playing about a month and a half after release (never logged in since).

I've just impulse-bought Reaper of Souls (on the US store because it's cheaper) and I'm reinstalling the Battle.net client and Diablo 3 as I write this.

Am I gonna regret it?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The difficulty ramp throughout Act 5 is fairly brutal. I started out on Torment 1 and was doing fairly well at the start. At some point a few hours in I bumped it down to Master when I came across an elite pack that was just too much for me. And now last night, I'm finally near the end of Act 5 (I think), in the
Pandemonium Fortress
, and the demons in here are just slaughtering me. It actually started right before that area, on top of the
battering ram to break into the fortress
. Man on that thing I just could not survive long enough to complete it, no matter what I tried, so I bumped it down yet again to Expert. And even there I'm having trouble surviving.

Hit 70 a while ago, been exploring every nook and cranny along the way. I'm pretty sure I'm right at the end and close to the final boss, so tonight I should finally get a chance to try out Adventure Mode.

I've been running into the same thing going through the start of Act 5.
The damage/toughness on items scales immensely as well, so it makes sense that the monster begin to get more difficult.

I stopped playing about a month and a half after release (never logged in since).

I've just impulse-bought Reaper of Souls and I'm reinstalling the Battle.net client and Diablo 3 as I write this.

Am I gonna regret it?

Play the game once it finished downloading and find out for yourself.
spoiler: no

Into

Euro DiabloGAF did it

EWGViMc.jpg

Its not great...could have gotten a better dmg roll =P

Kssio_Aug

I've just impulse-bought Reaper of Souls (on the US store because it's cheaper) and I'm reinstalling the Battle.net client and Diablo 3 as I write this.

Am I gonna regret it?

Just you can say. However, D3 at release date and today, its a HUGE step forward. Almost a different game I'd say.

x-Lundz-x

Yeah I think I am taking the hammer buff for sure since hammers are going to be my main attack. I'm not sure I want to waste a passive on the 2H weapons though. Unless I find some godly 2H weapon that blows all the 1H's out of the water anyway. To me all the 2H drops still seem pretty underwhelming.

God damn, RoS is no joke on T1. I am to Urzel or whatever the hell his name is, Lvl 66 and getting my ass handed to me. I don't want to drop down to Master because I will miss out on those sweet sweet marquise gem drops and class set pieces.

Seil

God damn, RoS is no joke on T1. I am to Urzel or whatever the hell his name is, Lvl 66 and getting my ass handed to me. I don't want to drop down to Master because I will miss out on those sweet sweet marquise gem drops and class set pieces.

Marquise are the standard drop no matter the difficulty in this level range. Master and Torment offer a chance for Imperial gems to drop as well.

Granadier

I had to drop down to hard for this fight.

That guy hits like a freight truck!

Belmire

The difficulty ramp throughout Act 5 is fairly brutal. I started out on Torment 1 and was doing fairly well at the start

Same here. Started playing the expansion solo on Torment 2 and had to bring it down to Master. After farming Master for a while, I've upgraded pretty much every item and doing Torment 1 now.

The leveling from 60 to 70 becomes difficult because even amazing level 60 gear is useless at about 66-67. Everyone will have to bring down the difficulty a bit till a few level 70 legendary items are picked up.

Sounds like a WoW expansion... =)

GPsych

I've got my DH up to level 64, but I haven't found any items (even blues) higher than level 61. I assume I'm just a victim of the RNG, but there are items level 62-69 right?

I've got my DH up to level 64, but I haven't found any items (even blues) higher than level 61. I assume I'm just a victim of the RNG, but there are items level 62-69 right?

I'm level 66 and I noticed that most of my rares have been lvl61 aside from the gear that dropped off of bosses. Might just be me though. Legendaries are fit to your level.

Joe Molotov

If you're struggling with Urzael, it's only gonna get tougher. I beat Urzael, but had to drop it down to Expert after that fight, and still ran into some tough spots in the later half of the act. Until you've got solid Lv. 70 gear, Torment just isn't feasible.

Robin64

No, there aren't. People asked Blizz if it was a bug and this is the response:

It looks like there was a little confusion on this topic, so allow me to clarify - there is not a bug involved here. Required level is not the same thing as an item’s power level, and it definitely does not mean a level 69 character should feel uncomfortable about using an item that specifies “Requires Level 61.” Items saying "Requires Level 61" on them is by design. The item can be at a power level intended for level 68 or 69 characters but we let players use it at Level 61 - this is intentional.

A primary boon of this approach is you know that items you find early on in your leveling experience (around 61-62) aren't replaced immediately upon reaching 63. That awesome item you found at 61 should be able to stick with you up through 69. When there are too many tiers of items, you transition through them rapidly and the items start to feel transient. Why bother gemming or enchanting an item if you expect to find an upgrade in 30 minutes? The Mystic’s Enchanting is powerful, but it doesn't feel worth using if you don’t have confidence your item will still be useful in 2 levels. Another benefit of this design choice is that it is alt-friendly. We think it's really fun to have the option to twink characters. Why not allow items you find at the upper echelons of the 60's to be passed down to your new characters fairly easily?

huxley00

Having a lot of fun, I really hope trading gets added back in at some point. You can tell that the only reason they don't allow trading is to keep people playing for as long as humanely possible. If people start trading/selling, you just get better gear, faster and might end up burning out more.

It was such a key piece of Diablo 2, it really needs to be added to Diablo 3. A very small set of items should be account bound. I really don't like that anything good is pretty much for you only :(.

idlewild_

I'm level 66 and I noticed that most of my rares have been lvl61 aside from the gear that dropped off of bosses. Might just be me though. Legendaries are fit to your level.

Most of the items you pick up while leveling have a L61 required level to equip. They are not actually ilvl61 gear:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12251125259?page=2#38

Morokh

You're worried about the story in a loot game?

I'm a writer and even I accepted a long time ago that this series is not to be played for plot.

Loot and scoot.... that is all.

when it is shoved in your face as often as the game does it's hard not to pay attention, at this point why do they even care ? ....

Also it's pretty much the only thing you can really talk about since the entire campaign is pretty much like Vanilla in new landscapes + a few loot 2.0 uniques here and there that will be obsolete the minute I hit 70.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
when it is shoved in your face as often as the game does it's hard not to pay attention, at this point why do they even care ? ....

Also it's pretty much the only thing you can really talk about since the entire campaign is pretty much like Vanilla in new landscapes + a few loot 2.0 uniques here and there that will be obsolete the minute I hit 70.

At least Malthael's voice acting is more engrossing and overall effective than Diablo's REALM OF TEAR-OR

I think the stat variety in RoS is kinda boring. I feel like they dumbed it down a bit. I find myself holding onto a few legacy items just because they're a lot more interesting than the 4 primary stat cap on items now. I even found a legendary ring last night that had the exact same stats as one of my rares. Nothing unique about it. No special effect. Just a different colored rare item. That worries me because the legendary item hunt is the only thing I have left to keep me interested, and some of them are really boring.

The gameplay is still fun and adventure mode is fantastic. But without good motivation to loot hunt.... eh.

styl3s

If you're struggling with Urzael, it's only gonna get tougher. I beat Urzael, but had to drop it down to Expert after that fight, and still ran into some tough spots in the later half of the act. Until you've got solid Lv. 70 gear, Torment just isn't feasible.
I crushed T5 solo before the expansion and struggle with T1 adventure mode.

Yeah, the game is no fucking joke unless you have that gear. Sadly the game hates me and i don't get drops. I played like 15 hours and got 2 decent replacements.

This realization is definitely setting in. Unless I grind the areas again JRPG style, it seems the difficulty progresses faster than my levels and gear. That side event leading up to Urzael where you f
ight King Wyman
or whoever, took me up until my second to last corpse revive to beat. It was crazy intense. I want to play adventure mode and leveling up seems pretty quick so far so going to master or expert for now shouldn't be too bad.

That's exactly where I dropped the difficulty down to Master, and like you I didn't want because of this pride, but you have to accept that you don't have the gear required to do T1 comfortably yet, finish the story at whatever difficulty you can and then jump to adventure mode to re-gear properly, then it's payback time on T1 and +

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

Am I gonna regret it?

I was in the same boat... beat the game, played about a week or two after launch, and never logged in again. But IMO the new patch/expansion really is that good. There's actually loot, and it's fun. I've been playing late everynight. Hype confirmed in my case.

So I did fairly well last night with upgrades and build tweeks.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/fenderputty-1180/hero/4022975

The site doesn't show my +19% to EP damage from my boots and helm for some reason. It doesn't show my healing well for that matter too. I'm using transcendence with a bunch of health globe stuff and it's effective.

So anyway I have about 52% cooldown reduction now. I also slotted off Dashing Strike because it didn't to enough single damage and put in SSS with the cooldown reduction rune. That along with a change to MoE and a swap in of sixth sense for passive really brought up my dodge up. I swap out mythic rhythm for unity when in party. I slammed dodge yesterday as being a shitty mechanic, but it's helping a bunch at near 50%. I don't even freeze half the time I accidentally get caught in a blast. Backlash procs so much after a cyclone in I'm not missing out on damage from the loss of MoC as well . With the reduced cooldown I have an IS and a SSS about every 9 seconds too. So I lay out an IS, Cylone in, Drop and EP and the SSS the palmed fool. By the time I get to another group they've both cooled down. It's becoming effective for soloing elites on T1 now too. Much better than before. Dodge help me survive the short time in which I'm on cooldown and SSS helps me take out elites much much faster.

I'm hoping I can slot in another 10% or so cooldown reduction. I"m currently trying to reroll an ammy with CC so I can get another 5% but I've not been lucky and ran out of Topaz.

Insaniac

So my friend and I fought
Malthael in his final form
on Master Difficulty and he did some weird AOE attack that looked like a bullet hell game, and it just one-shotted my friend and I. I think at the time my toughness was around 2.6million with 230k HP. I was bewildered.

JCizzle

So I did fairly well last night with upgrades and build tweeks.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/fenderputty-1180/hero/4022975

The site doesn't show my +19% to EP damage from my boots and helm for some reason. It doesn't show my healing well for that matter too. I'm using transcendence with a bunch of health globe stuff and it's effective.

So anyway I have about 52% cooldown reduction now. I also slotted off Dashing Strike because it didn't to enough single damage and put in SSS with the cooldown reduction rune. That along with a change to MoE and a swap in of sixth sense for passive really brought up my dodge up. I swap out mythic rhythm for unity when in party. I slammed dodge yesterday as being a shitty mechanic, but it's helping a bunch at near 50%. I don't even freeze half the time I accidentally get caught in a blast. Backlash procs so much after a cyclone in I'm not missing out on damage from the loss of MoC as well . With the reduced cooldown I have an IS and a SSS about every 9 seconds too. So I lay out an IS, Cylone in, Drop and EP and the SSS the palmed fool. By the time I get to another group they've both cooled down. It's becoming effective for soloing elites on T1 now too. Much better than before. Dodge help me survive the short time in which I'm on cooldown and SSS helps me take out elites much much faster.

I'm hoping I can slot in another 10% or so cooldown reduction. I"m currently trying to reroll an ammy with CC so I can get another 5% but I've not been lucky and ran out of Topaz.

You can dodge the freezes? I had no idea, that does make it much more useful because I'm sure it applies to some of the other aoe effects too.

Granadier

Has anyone found an effective way to utilize the secondary for knockback on Strongarm Bracers with a monk?

The only source of knockback I have found is through LTK + Armada rune, but that seems less effective since it always sends the monsters flying everywhere across the screen for me.

Then I have to chase them down and cyclone again, and it just seems to lower the overall efficiency.

DSmalls84

They really got it right with Adventure Mode. The Rifts, Caches and Blood Shards add a lot of variety that feels really fresh after playing the story dozens of times.

Am I gonna regret it?

Not likely. New act is fun, crusader is fun, adventure mode is great, plus all the 2.0 additions. And if you didn't play since vanilla, that means you also missed out on a lot of stuff from previous patches, like infernal machines and paragon levels.

I mean the Legendaries that are exclusive to the bounty bags.
Like the Ring that reduces the amount of set items you need.

ohhhh, I have no idea. more than likely. they seem to want to gate as much content behind torment as is reasonable to keep people striving for the higher difficulties.

j-wood

I currently only have the wizard available to the mystic but I wanted to confirm something. If i get a two handed sword that drops with intelligence, I can let my crusader take that too the mystic and have him re roll that property to strength right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom