• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenaras

I'm actually transitioning MORE towards OWE. I drop all AR to pick up the secondary res and free up a primary roll slot on my pieces.

Rolling secondary to fire is killing me though.

I still don't see One With Everything being very good until later. Right now, finding an item with three great primary stats allows you to re-roll the fourth primary stat to get a godlike item. However, doing that means you can't re-roll a secondary stat into your chosen resistance. For OWE to really shine, you'll either need to find a bunch of items with one specific resist already on them, or items with all four of the primary stats you want. Either way, it's far more specific item requirements than other specs/classes need to look for.

Of course, once you do have a collection of those items available to you, OWE will be amazing.

I'm actually transitioning MORE towards OWE. I drop all AR to pick up the secondary res and free up a primary roll slot on my pieces.

Rolling secondary to fire is killing me though.

Yeah, I can see the benefits of it as single res rolls higher. It just seems like a logistical bitch itemizing and rolling/rerolling secondary slots.

I might have to, but I would rather not. I'm already juggling cooldown reduction, skill boosts and health globes.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Just a tip for folks trying to increase their toughness. Vitality and Life% are overrated in the calculation. It's best to increase your armor and resists first, then add vitality. Get your damage reduction to the 90% range or better (for armor and resists) and then worry about vitality. You'll end up with a lower toughness number but you will actually be tankier because each point of health will be worth more. You will also be able to restore to full health faster via LOH and regen too since you have less health.

DSmalls84

Can anyone powerlevel my LVL 42 Crusader, please?

#dkunderscore#2653 EU

You might just want to ask in the clan or community chat on b.net. The posting seems kind of slow in this thread, but I would mostly attribute that to people playing the game instead of browsing GAF lol.

Dahbomb

Here are some of my items:

image.jpg

Basically I have a few items with LTK damage mod, a couple with Physical damage mod and a couple with Way of Hundred Fist mod. In addition I have the Fist of Az for the Exploding Palm action.

Most of my other gear has Lightning Resistance on it, some of these don't which I will change if I get the opportunity to do so.

Except for the two weapons shown ALL the items here were gotten from gambling. After that I re-rolled them with the Enchant to get a trifecta or Physical damage mod or the Lightning resistance mod. Some of the stats on these items are wrong... like the Boots are supposed to have Lightning resistance instead of Fire resistance (guess they weren't updated since yesterday).

I have 600K unbuffed DPS, 5 million toughness.

My build is:

Way of Hundred Fists - Fist of Fury. I have Physical damage mods plus WoH damage mod on gear so this is a no brainer.

LTK - NO RUNE. The only Physical rune for LTK is Armada which tosses enemies really far away. That's actually a big negative.

Exploding Palm - Flesh is Weak. Pretty standard stuff. The fist weapon makes this a no brainer include.

Dashing Strike - Quicksilver or Barrage. Depends on how I am feeling, the DPS from Barrage is not insignificant but I mainly use DS for the utility which Quicksilver provides the most of.

Sweeping Wind - Bladestorm or Inner Sanctuary Forbidden Palace or Cyclone Strike - This skill I keep rotating depending on the situation. Bladestorm is good in this build IMO.

Mantra of Healing (Time of Need) /Conviction/Retribution. Depends on who I am playing with and what difficulty. I really like MoC Intimidation... it's basically like getting a 10% damage buff while having 15% damage mitigation... none of these show up on your stats sheet which is why very few people use it but it's very good in practical application.

Passives:

Unity: I didn't believe it until I tried it and yes this passive is a bit broken in groups especially if someone in the group has pets/companions.

One with Everything: This should be standard on every Monk IMO. Right now many of my gear doesn't have Lightning resistance but once it does I will have really high resistances and still have a stat open for the 4 main stats.

Exalted Soul: I generally spam LTKs while tagging targets with Exploding Palm, requires a lot of Spirit.

Seize the Initiative: High Dexterity in RoS means even more Armor which is very much needed on a Monk for high Torment difficulty.

I use Resolve if I am against a boss fight instead of Exalted Soul like against Malthael. I remove Unity if I am alone of course and replace it with Chant of Resonance or Combination strike.

Edit: Damn some of those stats are really wrong. The first Ring is supposed to be a Dexterity trifecta ring and the 2nd ring is a +50-114 damage + Dexterity + IAS + Crit (no resource cooldown affix). Someone at Blizzard needs to fix this shit.

eek5

RE: Blood shard trading.

I think the best value right now is to get shoulders and gloves. Both of these don't require death's breaths to roll and you can get some really good rolls. Just use all your shards on them then pick one or two to reroll at mystic. It should be really easy to get a main/vit/cc/cd or main/asi/cc/cd gloves and a good main/vit/ar/dmg shoulders if you have quite a bit of blood shards.

I tried rings too but they're pretty expensive and results were so-so.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Also, it's silly that the profile system hasn't been updated to reflect mystic changes. >=o

Yeah, it's making me look like I don't know what I'm doing with my gear, lol. Half my crit chance is from the mystic. (profile)

Got that level 68 Thunderfury while leveling an alt. I rerolled the weapon damage and now it's about 1950 DPS. (dealing poison damage, strangely)

Yeah, I can see the benefits of it as single res rolls higher. It just seems like a logistical bitch itemizing and rolling/rerolling secondary slots.

I might have to, but I would rather not. I'm already juggling cooldown reduction, skill boosts and health globes.

There's no question that OWE allows the most powerful monk in the long term, but it's certainly going to be a pain to get there. Personally I think I'm going to make a few mules to hold different elemental gear so I can flip flop as needed.

eek5

Dashing Strike - Quicksilver or Barrage. Depends on how I am feeling, the DPS from Barrage is not insignificant but I mainly use DS for the utility which Quicksilver provides the most of.

Mantra of Healing (Time of Need) /Conviction/Retribution. Depends on who I am playing with and what difficulty. I really like MoC Intimidation... it's basically like getting a 10% damage buff while having 15% damage mitigation... none of these show up on your stats sheet which is why very few people use it but it's very good in practical application.

It's too bad you don't get any bonuses from using skills w/o runes.

I like barrage over quicksilver because if I'm moving around a lot I rarely hit the cap on my DS anyway and the barrage damage is pretty good considering how fast the skill is. For bosses I'll just DS twice and continue attacking while the skill does ~500% weapon damage twice as I'm still attacking.

For mantra I see you are using Unity. Make sure you don't use MoC as that affects enemies and won't give you the buff from Unity since allies aren't affected.

There's no question that OWE allows the most powerful monk in the long term, but it's certainly going to be a pain to get there. Personally I think I'm going to make a few mules to hold different elemental gear so I can flip flop as needed.

I've been rerolling everything to fire but you make a pretty good point. I should just save all my decent sec resis stuff and then make a transition if items get stacked in one direction. I gotta save all those skill bonus items too; wish we had more storage space.....

Shouta

I think the best value right now is to get shoulders and gloves. Both of these don't require death's breaths to roll and you can get some really good rolls. Just use all your shards on them then pick one or two to reroll at mystic. It should be really easy to get a main/vit/cc/cd or main/asi/cc/cd gloves and a good main/vit/ar/dmg shoulders if you have quite a bit of blood shards.

I've gotten upgrades to my rings through the Blood Shards, It's not that bad spending a Death's Breath on them either, honestly. The two rings in my profile are ones I mystic'd up. The left ring replaced the cooldown with a big dex roll to round it out and my right ring, I changed resource cost one to Critical chance.

With my Paragon, I have about 44% critical chance currently, I think? I have like 37% dodge as a result of the Sixth Sense passive, lol.

lordy88

Spoiler:
As far as I know it is a random rift that spawns D2 style cow mobs. Kongor vid

I remember that video, but IIRC, the enemies from Wymshire also appear in the rifts, and I thought it was hinting that the Cows could be found outside of rifts in the game world. I was hoping for a remake of D2's classic level!

Dawg

Why is it so hard to find anyone from the EU GAF clan.

I joined the community but I can only see than Ryan guy in the roster and he's offline :(

plake

skrmavbild2014-03-27kbzj40.png

Agreed. Gloves are so worth it!

Shifty76

Monk stuff

One thing you may want to try to help out with your spirit generation is switching Flesh is Weak rune on EP to Strong Spirit. Tag a couple of enemies with that and it should pretty much fill your spirit pool when they go boom.

Do be aware that Resolve (and I assume Intimidation since it has the same mechanic) only reduces damage from physical attacks, so it's not as good as it sounds. It is handy vs Siegebreaker with his crazy high RD affix though.

Kenaras

Just a tip for folks trying to increase their toughness. Vitality and Life% are overrated in the calculation. It's best to increase your armor and resists first, then add vitality. Get your damage reduction to the 90% range or better (for armor and resists) and then worry about vitality. You'll end up with a lower toughness number but you will actually be tankier because each point of health will be worth more. You will also be able to restore to full health faster via LOH and regen too since you have less health.

Toughness is a measure of effective hit points (EHP), and it works fine for what it is. The fact that EHP through mitigation is superior to EHP through health is a different matter.

Really, mitigation just needs to be factored into the Healing stat. Doubling your mitigation essentially doubles the effectiveness of your healing in addition to doubling your EHP; doubling your raw health just doubles your EHP while leaving your healing no more effective. I don't see Blizzard implementing anything like that though, so people will just have to look closely at their item affixes and not rely on the aggregate stats like Toughness.

One thing you may want to try to help out with your spirit generation is switching Flesh is Weak rune on EP to Strong Spirit. Tag a couple of enemies with that and it should pretty much fill your spirit pool when they go boom.

Yeah, I've run that rune in my soloing builds before; extremely underrated. It's fantastic for quickly clearing multiple large groups, but weaker in groups or when soloing a boss or small elite pack.

eek5

I've gotten upgrades to my rings through the Blood Shards, It's not that bad spending a Death's Breath on them either, honestly. The two rings in my profile are ones I mystic'd up. The left ring replaced the cooldown with a big dex roll to round it out and my right ring, I changed resource cost one to Critical chance.

With my Paragon, I have about 44% critical chance currently, I think? I have like 37% dodge as a result of the Sixth Sense passive, lol.

Yeah I got one ring upgrade last night for my wizard when I gambled on 20 rings. I just think you should try to nail shoulder/gloves first since they are cheaper to get and cheaper to roll. After that rings/ammy using the same method isn't bad and hopefully you have a bunch of breaths to roll by then.

Has anyone gotten Reapers Fear off of Mal NOT on their first kill? Im trying to get one for the bracers, and from what Im reading, it seems it will only drop on the "first time" kill. Resetting quests to clear all 5 acts for that 1 items to maybe drop is going to suck.

Giggzy

The withdrawals man, they are strong.

Off work in 4 hours, but only get to play for an hour before going to see my girlfriend. And we're going to Disneyland on Saturday. WHY OUT OF ALL WEEKS DOES IT NEED TO BE THIS ONE!!!

It's all my fault though. I tried to stay away from the hype so I didn't plan any free time to play in advanced. The hype was too strong. I blame it all on Yoshi and Ashodin.

A lovely gaffer power leveled my crusader to 70 yesterday which was nice. Dinged 70 with 125k dps and 1.2m toughness. Ended the night with 255k dps and 3.2m toughness. A nice start to a long journey!

eek5

Has anyone gotten Reapers Fear off of Mal NOT on their first kill? Im trying to get one for the bracers, and from what Im reading, it seems it will only drop on the "first time" kill. Resetting quests to clear all 5 acts for that 1 items to maybe drop is going to suck.

I glitch ran it 15 times last night on the difficulty under Torment and it never dropped for me. I did get another legendary though but it was terrible.

If you want to save the checkpoint for Mal, just kill him them you have about 16 seconds to leave the game. I pick up a couple rares then TP and leave game. When you come back you'll have the checkpoint and can kill him again.

You get very little XP/gold though because you never turn in.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Toughness is a measure of effective hit points (EHP), and it works fine for what it is. The fact that EHP through mitigation is superior to EHP through health is a different matter.

Really, mitigation just needs to be factored into the Healing stat. Doubling your mitigation essentially doubles the effectiveness of your healing in addition to doubling your EHP; doubling your raw health just doubles your EHP while leaving your healing no more effective. I don't see Blizzard implementing anything like that though, so people will just have to look closely at their item affixes and not rely on the aggregate stats like Toughness.

Yeah, I've run that rune in my soloing builds before; extremely underrated. It's fantastic for quickly clearing multiple large groups, but weaker in groups or when soloing a boss or small elite pack.

I think having mitigation like armor and resistances factored into the healing stat would just make things even more confusing.

They don't provide any healing, just mitigation, so they don't really belong there in my opinion.

Shifty76

Off work in 4 hours, but only get to play for an hour before going to see my girlfriend. And we're going to Disneyland on Saturday. WHY OUT OF ALL WEEKS DOES IT NEED TO BE THIS ONE!!!

It's all my fault though. I tried to stay away from the hype so I didn't plan any free time to play in advanced. The hype was too strong. I blame it all on Yoshi and Ashodin.

A lovely gaffer power leveled my crusader to 70 yesterday which was nice. Dinged 70 with 125k dps and 1.2m toughness. Ended the night with 255k dps and 3.2m toughness. A nice start to a long journey!

At least you've had a chance to actually play RoS...I've been in between house moves for the last 2 weeks and won't have my computer/internet set up until some time after we get possession of our new house at noon tomorrow...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I need to remember to join a clan when I get home, I need that green chat with legendary loots.

Damaniel

Banned

Agreed. As someone who put merely a couple hundred hours into the pre-RoS PC version, and a couple hundred more into the PS3 version, I'm finding myself getting sucked in like never before. While my stuff isn't anywhere near the level of the stuff I'm seeing here (I just broke the 100k DPS level, for instance), just the fact that I can play for a few hours and see a nice mix of legendaries and really useful rares keeps me coming back. My 62 wizard now has 5x the HP and 4x the DPS of my 60, pre-RoS barbarian, and sees more legendaries in a day of playing than my barb saw in his entire 200 hours of game history (I still can't believe that my barb only ever got 3 legendaries..)

I really like Adventure mode, too. The rifts will probably be more fun when I do them in groups - they take far too long solo, and the bounties have given me better results anyway. However, thhe net result is I now find myself sitting at work, counting down the hours until I can go play some more D3, which I haven't really done since my last D2 fix a few years ago.

Nokterian

The whole day at work thinking about this game. Just thinking like i want to level up my Crusader and tear some shit up in adventure mode and having but loads of fun. Been a longtime that a game really captured me. Like WoW did and still does though but RoS is making my free time even more fun.

Dawg

if any gaffers want to add me btw ->

Uncharted#2225

I can always use more friends with legendaries.

I'm not even level 40 myself

Giggzy

At least you've had a chance to actually play RoS...I've been in between house moves for the last 2 weeks and won't have my computer/internet set up until some time after we get possession of our new house at noon tomorrow...

I'm sorry ;( I have no right to complain. I feel for you man. No idea how you can visit this thread, it would drive me nuts. I'm already going nuts reading it and not being able to play.

Kenaras

I think having mitigation like armor and resistances factored into the healing stat would just make things even more confusing.

They don't provide any healing, just mitigation, so they don't really belong there in my opinion.

Mitigation provides healing in the same way it provides health: it may not add directly, but it makes every point you have more effective. "Healing" might need to be renamed to something else, but an aggregate stat that includes mitigation provides far more useful information than a stat that doesn't - just like "Toughness" is a more useful stat to look at than "Health" is.

Not that it matters; wouldn't happen either way.

JCizzle

The "salvage gives you the gems" and changing icon tips are both outstanding. I knew about the salvage one at some point, but totally forgot about it during the time I stopped playing.

Deadly

I didn't even receive my game yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom