• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Man, that sucks for you. Sounds like you are playing a different game. Act V is by far the better act out of them all IMO. Color scheme, music, enemies, environments, everything. I love doing adventure mode where it changes the color scheme even more.

100x this. Some of the music in this act was stunningly beautiful.

Laieon

Pretty the same way I would rank them. I might put 4 above 2 only because it's the shorter of the two acts I don't like.

This is exactly how I would rank the acts as well, with 2 wayyyyy at the bottom. Act II is terrible.

Act V easily has the best music though.

Man, that sucks for you. Sounds like you are playing a different game. Act V is by far the better act out of them all IMO. Color scheme, music, enemies, environments, everything. I love doing adventure mode where it changes the color scheme even more.

My thoughts as well. Love Act 5, and the blue-ish lighting really gives it a great ambience.

Ashodin

Act V makes the rest of the acts look like amateur hour. Seriously though. The pacing, the music, even the story is better.

The villain doesn't go around proclaiming he will beat you, he just does his shit and you gotta find him.

Definitely agreed, Act V is my favorite by far.

The first time I realized the music was way better in act V was in the bone halls or whatever. So melancholy ..

Probably 5 > 1 > 2 = 3 > 4 for me.

WarMacheen

Just found this, not sure about the humorous part as I haven't died with it

SloraksMadness_zpsc0b68a86.png

PatzCU

Does anyone know if I can "complete" Act 5 by joining a friend's game right at
Malthael
and killing him? I want to unlock adventure mode and my hardcore monk died basically at the gates of the final boss.
Fuck those stasis gates!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I managed to find some shoulders that let you port home even if you're being hit. Seems like a great way to get out of a jam, although I can't imagine you'd be able to survive the time it takes for a pack or an elite to hit you.

WarMacheen

I managed to find some shoulders that let you port home even if you're being hit. Seems like a great way to get out of a jam, although I can't imagine you'd be able to survive the time it takes for a pack or an elite to hit you.

I have those, I don't think I've ever actually used them in that fashion though.

Question on reforging.

Found a 2800DPS socketed 2H for my crusader, would it be more beneficial to reroll the elemental damage to str, or damage %? (assuming I get lucky enough to roll one of them)

Granadier

The first time I realized the music was way better in act V was in the bone halls or whatever. So melancholy ..

Probably 5 > 1 > 2 = 3 > 4 for me.

Yep, that's where I noticed it best as well.

I just wanted to hang out there with all the bodies.

Did a lot of rifts on T1 yesterday with my bud. They're so much fun. The randomness and the way all the areas look familiar, yet with crazy layouts and cool aesthetic changes keep it feeling fresh. The mob density is really good too, however recently I was playing Marvel Heroes and it also has a few instances where you just fight in areas against random mobs. Those areas are static though which kind of sucks, but their mob density is even greater. I wish D3 had that many mobs on screen. Maybe in T6?

I am having no luck upgrading my DPS. I'm like at 300k but 9m toughness. I haven't really skipped DPS upgrades in place of toughness either.

Question on reforging.

Found a 2800DPS socketed 2H for my crusader, would it be more beneficial to reroll the elemental damage to str, or damage %? (assuming I get lucky enough to roll one of them)

I would say str but I don't have a crusader so I could be wrong. My guess is the +str would be more beneficial than the damage percentage.

Granadier

Did a lot of rifts on T1 yesterday with my bud. They're so much fun. The randomness and the way all the areas look familiar, yet with crazy layouts and cool aesthetic changes keep it feeling fresh. The mob density is really good too, however recently I was playing Marvel Heroes and it also has a few instances where you just fight in areas against random mobs. Those areas are static though which kind of sucks, but their mob density is even greater. I wish D3 had that many mobs on screen. Maybe in T6?

I am having no luck upgrading my DPS. I'm like at 300k but 9m toughness. I haven't really skipped DPS upgrades in place of toughness either.

D3 used to have much more mob density, but they scaled it back sometime before 2.0 I think.

It ended up not working out for the better, even if it was pretty cool to demolish entire screens of enemies.

Shifty76

Fair enough. I can't play very much myself because I've been inundated with school work at the moment, BUT it's the very last 2 weeks of school I will have for the foreseeable future. Graduating from University after this semester!

Congrats!

I think I had a 3 day hangover after my University graduation...

D3 used to have much more mob density, but they scaled it back sometime before 2.0 I think.

It ended up not working out for the better, even if it was pretty cool to demolish entire screens of enemies.

I've been playing since beta. It's was never like MH density. I also never thought it was a problem.

So, I've been playing non stop since 2.0 but I can't seem to hit anywhere near the DPS and Toughness you all are talking about. Here's a link to my main monk.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong here or if its simply just a matter of my gear? I'd greatly appreciate it. Currently, I'm running a fire build as I got some gear that adds to that. Some of the gear isn't reflecting the + % to fire attacks since I re-enchanted them.

Thanks.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/NineLives-1662/hero/40906491

Decado

Friend of mine and I decided to bite the bullet and order DIII (not ros). A few questions:

Do all the active skills and spells have unique death animations linked to them? Fire burns enemies, ice shatters them, blades decapitate, blunt splatters etc.

Trying to decide which class to play. Since there seems to be little character development, I figure I'm going to go with the one that unleashes the most variety of interesting deaths.

If you are playing in co-op, is it OK to start off on Hard mode? These types of games are typically pretty easy and I get bored quickly when they reach that point.

Also...I assume there is voice chat, right?

Wow glad you guys mentioned Unity. Solo monk with fire ally, enchantress, bovine bardiche and haunt of vaxo (they both summon creatures) and my DPS goes from 279 unbuffed to 305 (enchantress and fire ally) to 385 with all of them up. Awesome. I still have a lot of room for upgrades.

Shouta

Question on reforging.

Reroll the damage %. That affix only affects the final DPS value on the weapon itself as far as I can tell. The elemental damage (i.e. the number valued one like 800-1600) is where the main source of DPS on a weapon comes from. if you lose that, then the weapon just becomes poop.

DrBo42

Act V

Starts off well enough, we get a nice cutscene and immediately are brought into a disaster we have to fix. Reapers are introduced, reapers get old after about 10 minutes. We travel through ultimately a pretty uninspired city but it has some cool side mission lore with the king and populace. Mal bounces, gotta track down Adria. In my mind that that point I'm like damn, finally she gets to pay for what happened with Leah. Travel through some swamps and dungeon type areas, fight the spider lady with big breasts. She goes down and nothing happens. There's no final word on what she did or more importantly any discussion of setting Leah's soul at rest or what her fate was that was important just one act ago, we move on. Only way to get to Pandemonium is through High Heaven, yadda yadda, back with somehow an even flatter version of Imperius. "He's gotta be put down, follow the rule of three to get in there. I won't say thanks." Okay, later I guess. Collect some siege runes because reasons, have a legitimately cool moment on the ram. Get inside, great environment, cool lore moment. Somewhere around this time, we get a thrown together illustration of "Oh hey, this soulstone is now wiping out humanity." Now I have no problem with that being Mal's ultimate goal but presentation, pacing, and tension are important and none of these are firing correctly. How am I supposed to feel the situation is dire inside this lonely fortress? In all the previous acts you're engaged in what's going on when it matters. Belial is fucking shit up, people are screaming in the streets, Heaven is under siege etc. You see evidence of these things all around you previously, but not here. Outside of the very beginning of the act I felt very disconnected from what is supposed to be happening in the world and what the stakes are. Ultimately it took me out of the world and made me feel like I was running WoW instances.

So, I've been playing non stop since 2.0 but I can't seem to hit anywhere near the DPS and Toughness you all are talking about. Here's a link to my main monk.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong here or if its simply just a matter of my gear? I'd greatly appreciate it. Currently, I'm running a fire build as I got some gear that adds to that. Some of the gear isn't reflecting the + % to fire attacks since I re-enchanted them.

Thanks.

Yep, it comes down to gear. Yesterday, I farmed bounties in normal and found quite a few upgrades, added almost 200k DPS. I would start doing that, since it's much faster in normal, and the drops are still good. I saved up all the cache's from completing all the bounties in an act, 10 total, and opened them all at once because it looks fucking cool. Got 3 legendarys from 10 bags.

I believe its been mentioned that they are looking at going back and adding new special abilities to legs that don't have any. So hopefully that happens.

That would be nice. What I do like about blizz is that they continually try to update. They're just incredibly slow at it =P

Dahbomb

It's too bad you don't get any bonuses from using skills w/o runes.
Wait what? Explain this more please.

You are saying that my unruned LTK will not be getting bonuses from +% LTK damage and +% Physical damage?

That can't be right... I am getting like 8 million crits with my LTKs.

If this is true then I need to change my gear up... LMAO!

Granadier

You are saying that my unruned LTK will not be getting bonuses from +% LTK damage and +% Physical damage?

Why are you using LTK without a rune?

Yep, it comes down to gear. Yesterday, I farmed bounties in normal and found quite a few upgrades, added almost 200k DPS. I would start doing that, since it's much faster in normal, and the drops are still good. I saved up all the cache's from completing all the bounties in an act, 10 total, and opened them all at once because it looks fucking cool. Got 3 legendarys from 10 bags.

Wow even in normal? Hmm maybe I'll give that a shot. Hell, I can plow through even master relatively quickly.

Friend of mine and I decided to bite the bullet and order DIII (not ros). A few questions:

Do all the active skills and spells have unique death animations linked to them? Fire burns enemies, ice shatters them, blades decapitate, blunt splatters etc.

Trying to decide which class to play. Since there seems to be little character development, I figure I'm going to go with the one that unleashes the most variety of interesting deaths.

If you are playing in co-op, is it OK to start off on Hard mode? These types of games are typically pretty easy and I get bored quickly when they reach that point.

Also...I assume there is voice chat, right?

Death Animations are pretty much the majority of the animation Blizz provides for monsters, with the philosophy that killing them is the most important part and it happens so darn often anyways. You've got a bunch of death animations... for each weapon type and then some. So probably ~10 for each. On top of that there are fricking amazing physics but you'll see that for yourself.

I'd currently suggest the Wizard for most variety. He's just a blast to play and got all kinds of builds you may be interested in. Some of the legendary items that affect certain blizzard abilities are also amazing.

I would suggest to not go with the Barbarian currently as it's just lacking compared to the other classes imo.

The difficulty implementation in D3 is pretty much the best I've seen in a game. As total beginners I would suggest indeed starting out on hard. But it doesn't even really matter what you chose at first, you can also change the difficulty. Ingame you can lower it as much as you like while in order to increase the difficulty (more than one time) you have to log out of the current round.

So whenever you feel like it's not challenging enough or getting to hard you can adjust it immediately.

Decado

Death Animations are pretty much the majority of the animation Blizz provides for monsters, with the philosophy that killing them is the most important part and it happens so darn often anyways. You've got a bunch of death animations... for each weapon type and then some. So probably ~10 for each. On top of that there are fricking amazing physics but you'll see that for yourself.

I'd currently suggest the Wizard for most variety. He's just a blast to play and got all kinds of builds you may be interested in. Some of the legendary items that affect certain blizzard abilities are also amazing.

I would suggest to not go with the Barbarian currently as it's just lacking compared to the other classes imo.

The difficulty implementation in D3 is pretty much the best I've seen in a game. As total beginners I would suggest indeed starting out on hard. But it doesn't even really matter what you chose at first, you can also change the difficulty. Ingame you can lower it as much as you like while in order to increase the difficulty (more than one time) you have to log out of the current round.

So whenever you feel like it's not challenging enough or getting to hard you can adjust it immediately.
So different death animations for spells, too? That's great to hear. Wizard would probably look cool in 3D vision, as well.

Dahbomb

Why are you using LTK without a rune?
I explained this before... I have a bunch of gear with +% Physical damage and +% LTK. There are only two LTKs that are Physical damage... the unruned version and the Armada rune.

Armada gives a slight damage boost but it knocks enemy extremely far away. Pretty shitty if you use Exploding Palm... you pretty much have to do stuff like LTK -> Cyclone Strike -> LTK. Really annoying... this might be useful if I was using that Legendary that gives you more damage after knockback but for my build's crap.

I just want the straight damage from LTK.

Edit: nm.

He just means that there's no real incentive to use an unruned skill 99% of the time.

Dahbomb

Ah OK in that case I get to use my gear.

And if it's useless 99% of the time then I guess I am that 1%. In my situation, it's in fact the best option.

Granadier

I explained this before... I have a bunch of gear with +% Physical damage and +% LTK. There are only two LTKs that are Physical damage... the unruned version and the Armada rune.

Armada gives a slight damage boost but it knocks enemy extremely far away. Pretty shitty if you use Exploding Palm... you pretty much have to do stuff like LTK -> Cyclone Strike -> LTK. Really annoying... this might be useful if I was using that Legendary that gives you more damage after knockback but for my build's crap.

I just want the straight damage from LTK.

Understandable then.

Would be nice if that damn Armada rune didn't knock enemies into the next county...

So different death animations for spells, too? That's great to hear. Wizard would probably look cool in 3D vision, as well.

Well in a way. Spells are from certain damage types. So e,g, a poison ability for example dissolves the monsters skin first and you can see the bones for some time. Then there's also a lot physics effects depending on the ability. For example the "Bash" ability from the Barbarian has a chance to knock a monsters skeleton out of the body on death. A lot of the more 'impactful' abilities have stronger knockbacks and what not attached to them.

Like when you use the Wiz meteor and it lands on corpses those are thrown up in the air again etc.

Instro

Act V makes the rest of the acts look like amateur hour. Seriously though. The pacing, the music, even the story is better.

The villain doesn't go around proclaiming he will beat you, he just does his shit and you gotta find him.

Yeah I'd have to agree completely on this one. Everything is just better. Areas are more dense and complex with lots of event variety, better music, better visuals, etc. No villain yelling how evil they are every other minute is a big plus. Cool NPC sidequests. I'm nearing the end, and I do find Imperious to be annoying as shit, but otherwise this is a completely superior experience to the other acts.

Dahbomb

BTW I was in a party today where we played a huge Rift (one area Act 3 Battlefields) that had around 25 champ packs in it.

Yes you read that right and yes I counted. Shit was hype... I got 3 Plans and a Legendary from that Rift.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So judging by the reviews, this is more like a reboot/Realm Reborn type of reboot than a expansion, right?

Naa, it's definitely an expansion as far as blizzard expansions go. It's still very clearly diablo 3, just with a few totally new features/options and some revamps that range from fairly to very significant.

BTW I was in a party today where we played a huge Rift (one area Act 3 Battlefields) that had around 25 champ packs in it.

Yes you read that right and yes I counted. Shit was hype... I got 3 Plans and a Legendary from that Rift.

Really? That is awesome. I hear there can also be a bunch of treasure goblins

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Naa, it's definitely an expansion as far as blizzard expansions go. It's still very clearly diablo 3, just with a few totally new features/options and some revamps that range from fairly to very significant.

it's somewhere in between imho. the biggest difference is that a huge chunk of that is available to original D3 owners. with that being said, you don't get adventure mode without the expansion which IMHO is the biggest update after loot 2.0.

Dahbomb

Really? That is awesome. I hear there can also be a bunch of treasure goblins
Yea ran into a rift full of treasure goblins.

Also a Rift with Whimsyshire mobs.

Honestly the Rift with 25 packs was the best moment. I already knew about the treaure goblin rift beforehand but didn't know about a Rift where packs outnumbered white mobs!

Taz

Thanks.

Looking at your gear you need to upgrade all of it lol ,

Here are some tips for dps

Helm should always have crit plus main stat (dex)

Shoulder dex vit allres, then life% or armor or skill dmg boost

Gloves attk speed crit chance crit dmg and main stat ignore everything else

Bracer crit vit main stat

Legs/chest/belt/boots main stat vit then whatever but get full sockets

Rings/amu main stat attk speed crit chance and crit dmg

Weapons socket with emerald main stat

Now your Probs thinking these are impossible stats to get well with the mystic it's now a lot easyer, just remember crit >attk speed > crit dmg > main stat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom