• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

Dashing around doesn't really help me to kill goblins either considering you can only get one or two hits in before they run out of reach again...

Yeah but what are you going to do when your skills are off cooldown?

I never said to only use cooldown skills, but if your class sucks at one thing it doesn't make much sense to gear up just to fix that.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Crusader is a fucking boss. I just fought the butcher by standing in his face and hammering the shit out of him. That's standing in his face no matter what. Ignoring all his strikes and fire, just going to town. He was stunned, blinded, or charmed half the time and I never lost more than 1/4 health.

Dunfisch

Man, the Yoshi Shenigans. Grouping that shit up like nobody's business! Shame I got like zero DPS by comparison, but hey, playing a certain role works well too. If that means I facetank the mobs while he plays the artillery, so be it. Loot and Exp for all!

BTW, where the fuck is the mentioning of HYPE?! I'll settle for no less than 2 HYPE per Minute next binge.

GorillaJu

Yeah but what are you going to do when your skills are off cooldown?

Also skills that are on cooldown are more designed to fight elite packs than clearing out white mobs quickly. Stuff like Seven Sided Strike and Inner Sanctuary of a Monk you don't waste that on some random white mobs you use it on a big pack or a champ/elite. Most of your time in this game is spend clearing trash mobs... you can't rely on cooldown skills for this job.

It's fine having 2 maybe even 3 cooldown skills but having your entire strategy rely on cooldown skills is not a good idea. Generally speaking the game is designed this way for every character:

You have one resource generator (not a cooldown skill)
You have one skill that you use to dump your resource on (not a cooldown skill)
You have one skill that is for defensive/mobility purposes (cooldown skill)
You have one skill that is on cooldown which is pretty powerful
You have on skill that is like an aura/companion that you have on for a long duration (passive but most have an active component with a short cooldown)
You have one skill that is a good control controller, keeps enemies in position. (can be on a cooldown, some aren't like Cyclone Strike)

Crusader is actually good at 4 of those, maybe even 5 (his Wrath moves aren't that bad). The problem is really that his resource generation is bad which in turn makes his Wrath moves bad as well as he can't spam them as much. This is also compounded by the fact that he can't dual wield so he can't attack fast and even if he could dual wield he would get destroyed due to no 30% damage mitigation.

You are mostly correct here. My problem is that the generator abilities simply do too low of weapon dmg when you consider how often you have to use generators vs. spenders as Wrath disappears just too quickly.

The way to mitigate that problem is to have shorter cooldowns on things like Heaven's Fury and Condemned, which makes me think the ideal shield is that one where cooldowns are reduced by 1 second on block. Items like Helm of Rule add an 11% block chance and I think Blackthorne pants (or another I cant remember) add block % as well, so you can conceivably hit 40-50% block rating.

That's the best way to go about it IMO because it works in all situations - you block attacks from bosses, from elite packs and from trash, so you'd be able to use your cooldown abilities more, which makes up for the lack of dmg on generators.

Still, I'd like to see better generators and better spenders across the board. Both in terms of weapon DMG % and wrath generated. It's the area where Crusaders are clearly lacking.

Crusader is a fucking boss. I just fought the butcher by standing in his face and hammering the shit out of him. That's standing in his face no matter what. Ignoring all his strikes and fire, just going to town. He was stunned, blinded, or charmed half the time and I never lost more than 1/4 health.

Yeah, what level were you and what difficulty was it? I can put it on normal mode and kill the Butcher in <5 seconds.

Ashodin

maxcrusadertha2o.gif

THE CRUSADE MARCHES ON

Iorv3th

I have found one (shitty) legendary my whole time playing RoS. My RNG luck is beyond bad. I have 100+ hours in this game and have never had a set item drop before.

Yeah same here. Got my demon hunter to 68 and can't even take maltheal on normal. I keep finding terrible items so all my gear is for lower level.

Dahbomb

IMO the way to play Crusader is this.

*Get 2H Flail with a shit ton of Wrath regeneration (also has a secondary with + Max Wrath). Use the 2H passive.

*Get Crusader shield with Wrath regeneration (also has a secondary with + Max Wrath)

*Get Diamond in Helm (you read that right) for cooldown reduction.

*Do not get Attack speed on gear/jewelry, get cooldown reduction instead.

*Get skills that further decrease cooldown. Best examples includes. Akarat's Champion - Rally rune combined with Hammers and Consecration.

*Get big ass CD moves like Bombardment/Heaven's Fury/Condemn.

*Use Lord Commander passive so that you have reduced cooldown on Steed and Bombardment.

Basically my build for Crusader would look something like this:

Skills:

Blessed Hammer - Limitless or Burning Wrath
Akarat's Champion - Rally
Bombardment - Annihilate
Consecration - Shattered Ground
Falling Sword - Superheated or maybe Condemn
Steed - Whatever rune

The idea is simple. You have enough Wrath regeneration to spam Blessed Hammer... however the real secret to this build is in Akarat's Champion Rally rune. During this form when you are spamming Blessed Hammer you are reducing cooldown on your skills dramatically. You can also get more ticks by Consecration and Falling Sword which do damage over time in ticks as fire damage so you can get the CDR that way. Basically you start a big fight, turn on Akarat's Champion immediately use Bombardment, Falling Sword + Consecration and then spam Blessed Hammer. If you do the combo right you might be able to do those spells again before Akarat Champion runs out, maybe even 3 times.

White trash mob you can take out with Blessed Hammer spam. I don't have any Wrath generator move on this build because you don't really need it if you have the gear specced for it... you only spend Wrath on Blessed Hammer and they are fairly cheap.

Ashodin

Crusader has really OP Legendary items though so who knows how they will end up being.

Your build is similar to how I play as well - wrath spenders eat whites, while CDs are for elite packs. AC + Rally is OP strong with the cooldowns on Crusader.

when do crusaders start becoming fun during leveling?

hammers are fun, but all these generator skills feel terrible. the chain lightning is the only one that seems ok so far.

GorillaJu

Crusader has really OP Legendary items though so who knows how they will end up being.

I have quite a few of them. Including a flail that removes the wrath cost of blessed shield, and a shield that makes blessed shield bounce to 6 enemies instead of 3

still not better than Slash/Sweep though lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
finally hit about 450k dps with my crusader

Starting to really like it

Thing with crusader is there is a few workable builds but when it doesnt work, it just flat out does not work and makes you feel useless.

Have to control your wrath and not rely on CD skills

Ashodin

I have quite a few of them. Including a flail that removes the wrath cost of blessed shield, and a shield that makes blessed shield bounce to 6 enemies instead of 3

still not better than Slash/Sweep though lol

SLASH ZEAL

ZEALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
i got a ring that spawns an elite mob whenever I use a tower thing (you know +25 exp, + attack speed towers)

I keep forgetting about it.. and click the tower then die :(

Marjar

Banned
Oh God, the Crusader is glorious.

I only just started my character and I'm blazing through enemies like they're tissue paper holy shit.

Heh. The CE art book is pretty cool...
... my kitty thinks so too.
i got a ring that spawns an elite mob whenever I use a tower thing (you know +25 exp, + attack speed towers)

I keep forgetting about it.. and click the tower then die :(
Hahaha... was doing a rift earlier and Robin64 clicked on a shrine RIGHT as the rift boss spawned (he has one of those equipped too). The four of us owned it though. :)

anthym

Neo Member
Well I had today off and nothing to do so naturally I played d3 all day long. Did adventure mode and did all the bounties to collect something like 40 rift fragments. Power leveled 2 friends to 62 with them creating torment 6 games at level 1. Only took an hour. Then decided to run these rifts I collected. Playing on master and I'm loving how fast I get kills. There are a few champs that drop my health pretty quick. Decided to try torment 1 to see how I would do. As soon as I step into the rift, it's the one thats an open field with nothing but champions. I died in like 3 seconds and died instantly when I respawned. Guess I'll stick with master until I get some better gear. Currently sitting at 320kdps and 4 mil toughness on my WD but barely any healing.

Shout out to GAFMAX, loving the clan. (ncslamm here) See you fellas tomorrow

ElyrionX

Ummm Frozen Orb is not that great guys. A lot of its damage output comes from the explosion at the end and that is not easy to pull off when you're playing solo.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm level 58 currently, and getting close to finishing act 5. What level do I want to be at when I kill the last boss for the best loot?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yesterday I got this hilarious 2500 dps two hander while gearing my barb with -25 level requirement. I used it to power level my crusader today. 2hours of adventure mode 45-70.

Coulda been faster, but for solo it aint bad.

Now I am having the worst luck with legendaries on my crusader. I've only gotten shields to drop...which is cool but uh I'd like to upgrade the rest of my gear ;_;

IMO the way to play Crusader is this.

Thanks for posting this. It's drastically different than how I'm currently playing my crusader, but the class seems to be fairly well-rounded in terms of build options. I'm not saying any of those options are as good as what the others classes are putting out, but I'm having fun with mine.

Right now I'm playing a complete cheese mode thorns reflecting build. It basically kills trash at a medium pace, then completely melts elites in a matter of about three seconds. It's very atypical in that I don't use hammers, don't use falling sword, and don't use consecration. Instead I pop two cooldowns, purposefully stand in the fire, and watch elites kill themselves through reflected thorn damage.

It's silly and actually feels a bit OP, maybe even bugged. I'm not complaining.

Sanctuary

Screenshot003_zps72645224.jpg

Not sure yet if it's worth the slot, or if I should just carry it around for elites specifically.
My character already has a belt that randomly procs blind on virtually half of the screen too and it procs constantly.

Lain

I almost made it to level 65 on my Wizard.
I already liked D3 before, and really liked what the patch did pre-RoS, but this expansion is really really good for me. I'm loving every minute of it. Whenever I start playing I just can't stop, which is good that I only found time to play a couple of days with breaks between them, or I'd be dead.

Not sure yet if it's worth the slot, or if I should just carry it around for elites specifically. My character already has a belt that randomly procs blind on virtually half of the screen too and it procs constantly.

I like the cooldown reduction on it. Would go really well using Akarat's with the rally rune.

valeo

First time back for about a year - played about 5 hours and havent had any decent drops. Is there something I'm missing; am I supposed to be resetting my quests or something?

Dahbomb

For both those first two items I would roll a stat to get crit on them. They are good items.

3rd item isn't very good unless you really want to run around at cap MS. You can roll the Grasp of Dead stat into 3 sockets to make it a solid chest piece.

Cipherr

Which is why it's great with Black Hole. :D

Indeed. I use the Absolute Zero rune on blackhole. Very fun to find a champ pack and drop the blackhole on top of them and a bunch of trash mobs, grab 20 stacks for a 60% damage increase and just unload with frozen orbs on the pack melting them all.

Dresden

if you play a lightning build, that soj is pretty awesome. Soj is one of the best elemental build rings.

For both those first two items I would roll a stat to get crit on them. They are good items.

3rd item isn't very good unless you really want to run around at cap MS. You can roll the Grasp of Dead stat into 3 sockets to make it a solid chest piece.

Cool, thanks for the help.

Carm

Finally get the shield from the cache and it's a massive downgrade, over 100k dps loss compared to the random rare shield I had. I've gotten 6 weapons at 70 on the Crusader all kinda blah, only the 2h had a socket, had to reroll the movement speed to str, still no legendary flail or crusader only shield.=(

The only semi luck I've had is I've gotten 4 of the cache legendaries so far, two of them below 60 though.

Really don't like the attack speed using a 2h as 1h, hopefully a good 1h flail drops soon.

Different shield transmoged (Denial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom