• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st time playing? It can take quite long soloing... for better results find someone to join you, or get to a public game. Low level chars are kind of boring to play alone by the lack of skills.

Not first time playing but first time solo yes. Maybe that's it. I just don't remember it taking anywhere near his long, going on 3 hours now. Has been a long time since playing though.

Do you have a high level character? Just socket a Marquis Ruby or Topaz on your crusader's weapon and the early levels are a cakewalk.

I have a 54DH with a bunch of gem's but no socketable weapon for my Crusader yet.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That's just shitty. Blizz just has so much trouble balancing risk/reward. I have only 300k dps and 3m toughness and I still like to play T1 since it's not faceroll for me yet. Grinding normal would be boring as fuck.

Yeah, even if Normal is the best thing to farm legendaries, I would never touch that mode unless its a low lvl character. One shotting every enemies is no fun. What's point of grinding the easiest difficulty for better gear if you're already one shotting everything anyway.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Not a good excuse for poorly implemented risk/reward in a game that is all about farming efficiency.

I saw a pretty good idea on battle.net forums today. While power leveling alts on T6 with the help of higher level players, check the drop rate per kill of various activities. (The game tracks these stats, so you can just get them before and after your session).

For all players in the group, so far they saw about 1/10 from purple mobs, 1/120 from elites, nothing observed from trash mobs, and no increase on chests. (I think the last one is intended)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12311741104

Needs more data, but it's a good idea for speeding up the testing.

Kssio_Aug

Not a good excuse for poorly implemented risk/reward in a game that is all about farming efficiency.

Ok, It may not be the best way to look at it, but for me its kind like it: for exp you should do harder difficulties (as long as you can still survive well enough and not killing too slowly), to get better gear you should do the higher difficulty where you can kill everything really fast. It may not be perfect, but I am enjoying it.

Takuan

I dinged 60 last night with the Crusader and pimped him out with some of the stuff I had collected on my various other 60s. I agree with all of the criticisms in here; wrath generators are boring, wrath abilities are too expensive/arguably also boring, and the best abilities are cooldowns. For me personally, there might as well not be any generators/wasters beyond Slash and Fist of the Heavens; everything else feels piddly in comparison.

That said, I can't get enough of initializing Condemn, rooting a large group of enemies with Justice, and then jumping into the fray with Falling Sword. Currently my favorite way to initiate against elites/rare mobs.

I've gotten used to the movement and attack speed, but still wish you could Steed at will with no CD (lol).

That's just shitty. Blizz just has so much trouble balancing risk/reward. I have only 300k dps and 3m toughness and I still like to play T1 since it's not faceroll for me yet. Grinding normal would be boring as fuck.

It's not any more boring than speedrunning in any game or game type is. Hard to get bored when you're only spending 30-40 minutes, and the speed of it all while blowing everything up is pretty entertaining in and of itself.

There's no right or wrong way to do it. It's just a matter of what mood you're in and what you feel like doing. If you're too good to speed run on Normal and suggesting it must be boring makes you feel better about grinding slowly through T1, stay on T1 and knock yourself out. Hell, I spend most of my solo time at T1 and T2 these days. Just understand that kicking the shit out of everything can be quite satisfying after spending days working hard on T1 and T2. You're under no obligation to struggle (and 300k dps on T1 is the definition of "struggle"), nor is anyone else. As one who was playing when the game was *all* struggle (launch, second GAFer to hit Inferno), I'm quite happy to have options.

eek5

I saw a pretty good idea on battle.net forums today. While power leveling alts on T6 with the help of higher level players, check the drop rate per kill of various activities. (The game tracks these stats, so you can just get them before and after your session).

For all players in the group, so far they saw about 1/10 from purple mobs, 1/120 from elites, nothing observed from trash mobs, and no increase on chests. (I think the last one is intended)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12311741104

Needs more data, but it's a good idea for speeding up the testing.

Wait where can you see drop rate stats?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I dinged 60 last night with the Crusader and pimped him out with some of the stuff I had collected on my various other 60s. I agree with all of the criticisms in here; wrath generators are boring, wrath abilities are too expensive/arguably also boring, and the best abilities are cooldowns. For me personally, there might as well not be any generators/wasters beyond Slash and Fist of the Heavens; everything else feels piddly in comparison.

I think my only beef with wrath generators is that so few of them work well when dealing with large groups and also work well against 3 or less targets, currently my favorite wrath generators are a mix between Slash - Zeal and Justice - Crack. I like Justice with Crack a bit more because being able to fight at range helps a lot at times.

I really do like Blessed Hammers with Limitless on them, you can just keep dumping them and the fact that they hit everything they pass through is great for "on hit" effects and they do really good area damage, coupled with other abilities like condemn and consecrate it works really damn well.

Also, I've noticed that to use Wrath dumps well you sort of need an additional support ability like provoke or blind with the 9 wrath per blinded target, I prefer blind with the rune due to lower CD and added utility. The best stats I've found for crusader tend to be, resource cost reduction and attack speed, those two synergize really well together.

My sader I leveled in like 2 hours and even then his gear is okay after doing only 3 box runs for a total of 15 popped boxes.

230k dps an 7.2mil toughness. It's not good but for a fresh character it ain't so shabby. I think I'll main him for a while.

scy

As far as Crusader goes, I've pretty much settled on this setup sans the Righteousness passive (Holy Cause once I get a Holy Damage weapon). Wrath generation from the left-click is so-so but Condemn being Wrath free damage on a low CD + Shield Glare giving full Wrath allows for a full wrath dump every ~8s or so.

Also, I've noticed that to use Wrath dumps well you sort of need an additional support ability like provoke or blind with the 9 wrath per blinded target, I prefer blind with the rune due to lower CD and added utility. The best stats I've found for crusader tend to be, resource cost reduction and attack speed, those two synergize really well together.

Resource Cost and CDR from Paragon points helps a lot. Getting 10% from there for both of them smooths out the itemization a lot :x

Sothpaw

It's not any more boring than speedrunning in any game or game type is. Hard to get bored when you're only spending 30-40 minutes, and the speed of it all while blowing everything up is pretty entertaining in and of itself.

There's no right or wrong way to do it. It's just a matter of what mood you're in and what you feel like doing. If you're too good to speed run on Normal and suggesting it must be boring makes you feel better about grinding slowly through T1, stay on T1 and knock yourself out. Hell, I spend most of my solo time at T1 and T2 these days. Just understand that kicking the shit out of everything can be quite satisfying after spending days working hard on T1 and T2. You're under no obligation to struggle (and 300k dps on T1 is the definition of "struggle"), nor is anyone else. As one who was playing when the game was *all* struggle (launch, second GAFer to hit Inferno), I'm quite happy to have options.

It's funny because at 300k dps T1 is "easy" for my WD to the extent that I rarely die. Elites can take a minute or so to kill. I feel like a "struggle" means I would die multiple times per bounty.

Edit: I guess I like to see solid progression and put it to use. What is the point if getting all that gear in normal if T6 doesn't offer any reward in a loot based game? You one shot normal at 400k or 400m dps all the same.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
What rune are people using for slash? I'm assuming either Crush for damage or Guard for defense, since the 5% IAS from zeal seems meh and the other options don't look too amazing.

Maximus.

That said, I can't get enough of initializing Condemn, rooting a large group of enemies with Justice, and then jumping into the fray with Falling Sword. Currently my favorite way to initiate against elites/rare mobs.

I've gotten used to the movement and attack speed, but still wish you could Steed at will with no CD (lol).

I agree that they aren't as fast at killing mobs as a wizard for instance, but I personally enjoy playing the Crusader. Coming from the barb, the skillset and variety of moves are nice for the crusader. I do agree that it sucks how fast wrath is spent and waiting for cool downs, but while leveling I have had zero issues so far. I mean things could be different once I go to higher difficulty (I have done upto torment 2 with the crusader). Overall I think it's a great class and I am having a ton of fun, despite all the complaints I have heard. I am sure Blizzard will have many changes for the Crusader in the near future in response to the criticisms.

I do agree that the movement and attack speed is a big change, but I have some gear that fixes that. Steed also shouldn't have such a long cool down! I feel if anything the cool down times need to go down for all the moves haha.

Kssio_Aug

It's funny because at 300k dps T1 is "easy" for my WD to the extent that I rarely die. Elites can take a minute or so to kill. I feel like a "struggle" means I would die multiple times per bounty.

With 300k dps youre killing elites at T1 in a minute and rarely die?? Well... I believe that most of the players cant do that with the same stats. At act v, t1 with 300k is definetely VERY struggling.

scy

Nephelem Glory from Crusader's Law helps offset the movement penalty. Plus, it's essentially +10% AoE Damage along with the +10% MSPD it gives.

What rune are people using for slash? I'm assuming either Crush for damage or Guard for defense, since the 5% IAS from zeal seems meh and the other options don't look too amazing.

Zeal for the Holy Damage to benefit from equipment.

Sothpaw

With 300k dps youre killing elites at T1 in a minute and rarely die?? Well... I believe that most of the players cant do that with the same stats. At act v, t1 with 300k is definetely VERY struggling.

To be honest I am a really busy guy and only had a chance to mess around with T1 last night. 325Kish dps, 3Mish toughess and I ran full Act 1 and 2 bounties plus one rift on T1 with my WD. One or two deaths for all that (included siegebreaker and skele king). Leeching Beasts and Piranado runes are really strong.

Edit: I have also been playing since launch (of Diablo 1) but skill doesn't exactly play a large role in this genre.

This...
Act v dinged 70 @urzrael...
Has to tone down difficulty... I could not kill Adria on t1 with 310k dps and 1,7m toughness...

Sothpaw

This...
Act v dinged 70 @urzrael...
Has to tone down difficulty... I could not kill Adria on t1 with 310k dps and 1,7m toughness...

I had to turn it down in campaign as well but the two acts worth of bounties I ran were easy on T1 with your dps and double the toughness.

RDreamer

Found this bow while on my Monk and it motivated me to get my DH up to 70. It seems like a pretty damned good bow, but I dunno.

VeI6lGF.jpg

Raticus79

Wait where can you see drop rate stats?

Sorry, I mean it tracks the kill counts. It doesn't do the full stat calculation for you. It's in the player profile I think. It updates when you log out and back in. It'll show elite kills and regular kills, but you do have to track the legendaries individually since we would be looking for tracking individual drop sources.

J2d

Any monk players here have Natalya items drop? I don't wanna play a dh just to get a ring and boots( which could take forever).

DarkJC

Re: the farming on normal discussion, don't you miss out on the new legendaries at 70 if you don't play on at least Torment I?

Instro

WDs with fetish army or the passive fetish skill can blast through elite packs and bosses much quicker than chars of similar dps. Particularly if they have mask of jeram. They are extremely strong against single targets or small packs that the fetishes can gang up on. Ive worked through most of act 5, through level 70 too, with much lower DPS than that until just recently. WDs tend to survive very well as well since spirit walk can cool down fairly quickly with the right passives.

Kssio_Aug

WDs with fetish army or the passive fetish skill can blast through elite packs and bosses much quicker than chars of similar dps. Particularly if they have mask of jeram. They are extremely strong against single targets or small packs that the fetishes can gang up on. Ive worked through most of act 5, through level 70 too, with much lower DPS than that until just recently. WDs tend to survive very well as well since spirit walk can cool down fairly quickly with the right passives.

Wow, I think its time for me to put my WD back to the action! lol Didnt know about that, seems op!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Wow, I think its time for me to put my WD back to the action! lol Didnt know about that, seems op!

Mask of Jeram is the item I want most on my WD. i love my army of fetishes, I want them to hit 75% harder!

Giggzy

Re: the farming on normal discussion, don't you miss out on the new legendaries at 70 if you don't play on at least Torment I?

Yes, but for me it's about gearing up as quickly as possible to even start doing torment I. Once I can start farming T1 at a good speed I'll stop doing normals.

Instro

Mask of Jeram is the item I want most on my WD. i love my army of fetishes, I want them to hit 75% harder!
It can drop up to 100% I believe. My level 60 one is at 94%, so I generally switch to over to whenever I drop fetish army. I'd really like a level 70 version.

Shouta

Not first time playing but first time solo yes. Maybe that's it. I just don't remember it taking anywhere near his long, going on 3 hours now. Has been a long time since playing though.

I have a 54DH with a bunch of gem's but no socketable weapon for my Crusader yet.

First time sockets become available are on level 15 items, I believe. You can get them from drops or craft them on yellow items.

Kssio_Aug

I am enjoying playing it like it is. But I understand and agree with that complains about doing normal or t1 only. It can feel quite useless to try harder difficulties. But its still fun, I believe Blizzard will try something to encourage playing at higher torment levels.

Speaking of that Skorn a page back:

xozzJUg.png

My crusader is already 70 though and this is what she's actually using right now anyway. Will be nice for getting the barb to 70 from 60 whenever I get around to that though.

If I was really greedy I could reroll the str to int for an eventual witch doctor.

I hear you bro. I was one of the few GAFers who went through the entirity of Act 5 while leveling from 60-70 with nothing but my original level 60 items. DH, roughly 330k dps, Kridershot with maybe about 40% buffs to it via elemental and skill-specific affixes.

It took me maybe 10 minutes and at least 15 tries to beat Urziel (sp?) at maybe level 66 at the time. My 1.5m crits were barely chipping him.

By the time I hit 70, everything was chipping and my 1.5m toughness meant surviving was hard. I made that hit happen, though. I had to tick the difficulty down for Mal to Master after a few runs made it clear it would be simply unrealistic amounts of time to drop him, but I was T1 all the way up to him. With 60 gear. 300k base dmg and just 1.5m toughness. I was able to handle a lot of mobs, but only because I had 3 wolves tanking, a Kridershot giving me free aoe 1m-1.5m crits on everyone for free, and the ability to go invulnerable for a couple of seconds. Depending on the mob, it still would take 3 or 4 lives to manage.

So idunno man. If it's "easy" for your 300k dps WD to clear any and all manner of elite mob in "a minute" well...I've seen 300k dps T1 play. "Easy" is not how I'd classify it. But if taking 60-90 seconds to kill one mob pack isn't "struggle", perhaps you're into masochism. If so, carry on.

I am enjoying playing it like it is. But I understand and agree with that complains about doing normal or t1 only. It can feel quite useless to try harder difficulties. But its still fun, I believe Blizzard will try something to encourage playing at higher torment levels.

No, the value in playing above T1 is for when you're in the mood for a real challenge. Sometimes I'm in the mood to struggle. I have a 700k dps DH and a 900k dps Wiz for a reason. When I'm not in the mood for struggle, I'm happy to have an option that can keep me entertained and playing the game.

Normal bounties are a nice change of pace from T2/T3 rifts though :x

correct.

xozzJUg.png

My crusader is already 70 though and this is what she's actually using right now anyway. Will be nice for getting the barb to 70 from 60 whenever I get around to that though.

If I was really greedy I could reroll the str to int for an eventual witch doctor.

epic.

Anoregon

It can drop up to 100% I believe. My level 60 one is at 94%, so I generally switch to over to whenever I drop fetish army. I'd really like a level 70 version.

I don't even use the fetish army skill, just the passive. It's enough to have 8-12 little dudes following me around at any given point. If I get a Starmetal Kukri I'll probably us it though (or maybe BBV)

DarkJC

All they would have to do is up the reward for slogging through the harder mobs. I'm sure they're going to wait a while to let the expansion release dust settle first though -- let people get into a groove and adjust from there.

Raticus79

Yes, you miss out on some new sets, follower legendaries and legendary potions.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9582428450?page=1#1

It's possible to gear up very well without any of those, but I think they'll be essential for hitting the top farming speed. The Witch Doctor dot set is apparently ridiculously strong.

xozzJUg.png

Is it actually letting you equip it with an offhand item or is it just a display bug?

scy

xozzJUg.png

Greed is good though.

Zvolen12

Neo Member
The butcher in D1 is completely memorable and iconic, but it's not like there was really anything there from a gameplay standpoint. He's just a dude who melees you hard and has a scary voice. D1 in general was all (amazing, untouchable) atmosphere, the gameplay was very simplistic
I remember kiting Diablo in D1 for ages and at that time you could quick save anywhere. Oh that game holds a special place in my heart.
*Fresh Meat*

wsippel

Banned
The bosses can take way too much punishment in T1. Had a cursed chest event asking me to kill Ghom in 30 seconds or something. 545k DPS were not even remotely enough.

The DPS figure isn't really the full story. My wizard for example has 225k DPS, my DH 545k according to the stat screen - but the wizard deals just as much damage. Because I only use arcane skills and have tons of bonus arcane damage and bonus disintegrate damage, neither of which is reflected in the stats.

ferr

It's possible to gear up very well without any of those, but I think they'll be essential for hitting the top farming speed. The Witch Doctor dot set is apparently ridiculously strong.

Is it actually letting you equip it with an offhand item or is it just a display bug?

Should be a bug, I'm seeing crossbows show up as 1h eg http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/arcane-barb

I mean.. 2H crossbows should be 2h, right?

Kssio_Aug

The bosses can take way too much punishment in T1. Had a cursed chest event asking me to kill Ghom in 30 seconds or something. 545k DPS were not even remotely enough.

The DPS figure isn't really the full story. My wizard for example has 225k DPS, my DH 545k according to the stat screen - but the wizard deals just as much damage. Because I only use arcane skills and have tons of bonus arcane damage and bonus disintegrate damage, neither of which is reflected in the stats.

I understand that, but still 300k sheet dps usually means youre not that geared to do t1. I can see however that exist exceptions then.

Ashodin

Nephelem Glory from Crusader's Law helps offset the movement penalty. Plus, it's essentially +10% AoE Damage along with the +10% MSPD it gives.

Zeal for the Holy Damage to benefit from equipment.
Bzzt wrong. The Nephalem Glory movement speed doesn't work with heavenly strength. You are capped at 10 no matter what. Check your movement speed in the window. Without, it's at 35. With, 10.

Shouta

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/marauders-carapace

Holy crap at that 6 piece set bonus for DH. =O

The other unique set bonuses are really good too. Wiz gets Essence Burn on their Firebird set, for example.

Anoregon

So I got the Pender's Purchase recipe last night, and like most people I have a few adventure journals taking up space. I havent' crafted any yet because I need RNG to give me the white glove base item, but the question is should I? There's nothing special about them. I guess it's just worth it for guaranteed high stats?

RS4-

So I got the Pender's Purchase recipe last night, and like most people I have a few adventure journals taking up space. I havent' crafted any yet because I need RNG to give me the white glove base item, but the question is should I? There's nothing special about them. I guess it's just worth it for guaranteed high stats?

I crafted one. Shit compared to my trifecta rare.

I'm wondering if I should craft the new hallowed set. I'm just missing the fist item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom