• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

The gloves (I think) that make gold rain on massacre bonuses

I had those gloves at 60 in 2.0. Those Gloves' legendary affix to make "gold rain" is incredibly false advertising let me tell you that. The affix should read something like "makes you poop out a bit of pocket change after a massacre"

Xevren

The way I have been acquiring gold is simply that I just do Rifts and collect all Rares as normal. At end of run I vendor them all (they can get you 5K per rare). After a few runs I also have many Shards that I use to buy a 5 shard item and then vendor that.

It still feels like I am making ends meet although I guess after a while this won't be an issue... most of my gold is taken up by gems upgrading/unsocketing. Enchanting gear is really bottle necked by Forgotten Souls really.

That's how I've been making money, I don't do a lot of gem upgrading though. Most of mine is wanting to make my legendaries perfect and like you I'm bottle necked by Forgotten Souls.

Zeliard

Been pretty lucky with new drops on Torment 1 since the hotfix, as well as enchants. In just a few hours today I got about 5 legendary gear drops - one of which was a weapon upgrade - 3 leg mats, and one set item which just happened to be a Firebird helm w/ socket (I was already wearing Firebird boots, so I got a nice +500 bonus to INT). Used an enchant on the helm and got +15% damage to Disintegrate on the first attempt, the exact buff I wanted.

The leg upgrade I found was a wand with good DPS, +15% to Arcane damage (rather convenient as I was already running an Arcane build), and I managed to roll a socket on it in the third or so attempt. The leg affix reduces cooldown on Slow Time by 52%, and I use the rune that adds 10% damage to every enemy caught in the bubble. I can pretty much keep two of them constantly up now and I combine it with Blackhole Spellsteal (which has its own +damage buff), so stuff gets vacuumed into the time bubbles and inevitably just melts in short order with Disintegrate Entropy.

Passives include Glass Cannon, Audacity, Unwavering Will, Force Weapon, and I also have +Disintegrate damage, +Blackhole damage, +Arcane damage on several pieces of gear, none of which are lower than 13%.

Quite liking this build.

Kadin

Hey Ash, just wanted to give ya a head's up that I dropped from the clan. Sent a message to Raticus just a bit ago and let the others know in chat. Was fun running with you and the rest of the group but got some friends who recently came back to the game who I'll be joining up with.

That means a spot is open now for one of the other hundreds of people who want to get in! :)

I dont know how all these attack speed wizards survive. This seems like too big of a toughness hit for a little attack speed. It'd be even worse on my amulet.

OjUFRSs.png

Shakala

Think of that Bleed effect as around 80% damage per second that happens every one of three hits.

That's not that great despite being a slight DPS boost. A crit chance will be a better investment overall.

Bleed effect probably not so bad on weapons as they aren't competing for crit. If it's between Vit and Bleed I will take Bleed.

Thanks for the response! Also, I have one more question: would it be better to replace vit or all resist for 3 sockets on a chestpiece? I could replace either with gems but I'm stumped as to whether there's a better choice of the two

Cipherr

Hey Ash, just wanted to give ya a head's up that I dropped from the clan. Sent a message to Raticus just a bit ago and let the others know in chat. Was fun running with you and the rest of the group but got some friends who recently came back to the game who I'll be joining up with.

That means a spot is open now for one of the other hundreds of people who want to get in! :)

Aww snap, an opening in the first GAF clan? Whose gonna get it whose gonna get it!

So after contemplating it for awhile, I don't really miss the AH, but I do think more expansive trading is lacking. I mean what if I want to trade/give something to someone in clan who wasn't in my party? The AH facilitated trading to such an extent - too much - that searching for items there was the optimal way to gear. The friction from having to directly barter with people through forums (D2JSP, official, wherever) or chat channels slows down item progression enough to have a healthy economy. Or even something where people could set up their own little stores that you'd have to browse manually, without search functions.

For softcore at least (hardcore it'd probably be okay), the game isn't currently tuned around trading being in - and that's okay. However, I do think with the introduction of ladders/seasons, those characters should be able to free-trade with each other, especially if they're just going to be wiped at the end of the season.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Forgotten fucking Souls. Getting to the end of a Rift and not getting a Forgotten Soul is.... soul destroying. I have items that need fixing!

joesmokey

I salvaged them for Forgotten Souls... :(

I will be the first to admit it... I have a gambling problem in this game. I have salvaged decent/good Legendaries for Souls just so I can have one extra crack at the mystic.
I have the same problem :(. Some of my legendaries with unique affixes I have regretted salvaging, even though they are crap. That need to get that perfect roll though...

isual

I notice that the folks who are on my friends list don't pug adventure or story mode..it seems like they'll just go at it alone or play with friends whom they know personally.

Is this true for everyone else?

JCizzle

I notice that the folks who are on my friends list don't pug adventure or story mode..it seems like they'll just go at it alone or play with friends whom they know personally.

I usually do, but only so I can freely pause when my wife bitches for attention. It's almost as if she doesn't appreciate the importance of D3, SMH

Ceebs

So are there any general guidelines when trying to gear up your toughness?

Like how is All resit weighted toward say, armor and vitality.

BPoole

So I just bought Diablo 3 last week and already have a level 60 Wizard. Should I wait til I hit 70 before buy Reaper of Souls?

aka_bueno

Can someone repost the super quick power leveling method, a buddy wants me to power level his alt but I'd like him to try out the method that someone posted a few pages back, but cant find it.

It was a certain act and chapter and involved talking to a guy if he's by the stairs or something for a quest?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
So are there any general guidelines when trying to gear up your toughness?

Like how is All resit weighted toward say, armor and vitality.

Vitality is very over-valued, past a certain threshold (depends on class) you should stop stacking Vit and focus on all res. Around 300k-400k HP ballpark, depending on your class.

Armor gets hit pretty hard by diminishing returns after like 75%, usually AR is the best bang for buck when it comes to effective HP, so that's what I'd go for, given the choice, in almost all instances.

Also, don't ignore Healing. You can have all the HP in the world, but with no way to get it back, you're as good as dead.

Armory's broken and doesn't show enchanted stats, but here's my crusader: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Noray-2106/hero/38675576. I actually have around 6.5-7m toughness and just under 700k DPS.

Got 3 legendaries from Kadala today. I love her. I also love my bros in EU GAF <3

xero273

Vitality is very over-valued, past a certain threshold (depends on class) you should stop stacking Vit and focus on all res. Around 300k-400k HP ballpark, depending on your class.

Armor gets hit pretty hard by diminishing returns after like 75%, usually AR is the best bang for buck when it comes to effective HP, so that's what I'd go for, given the choice, in almost all instances.

Also, don't ignore Healing. You can have all the HP in the world, but with no way to get it back, you're as good as dead.

Armory's broken and doesn't show enchanted stats, but here's my crusader: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Noray-2106/hero/38675576. I actually have around 6.5-7m toughness and just under 700k DPS.

Got 3 legendaries from Kadala today. I love her. I also love my bros in EU GAF <3

Also, if you are monk, stack single res and use OWE

Fularu

Banned

I mostly run alone and just accept whoever joins my game.

I've mostly ran with good old D3 GAF though (you know, the people who played when it was cool to shit on the game :p)

Megasoum

Banned
So I huh...hmmm.....yeah...sooo I just found out my templar was still using a level 7 amulet (I'm a lvl 70 wizard with 456k dmg lol)....

What annoys me right now is that I can't make some amulet of strength at the jewel crafter cause I don't have any Perfect Square Ruby anymore... Now the only way to get any would be to play a lower level character and hope I get some? Wtf...

okay
gear critique..
the head..
take away the life/spirit and put in crit via reforge..
either that or find a 5 property head with
life
dex
socket
life/spirit
random property that will be rerolled into crit..

the amulet..
that's a nightmare rather than an amulet..
i can accept that you need the loh..
but if damage is your focus cdr is a commodity.. crit please..
honestly i'd go with an amulet with
dex
vit
crit dmg
crit chance
pick a random rare with 400ish dex&vit that has either HIGH (8.5) crit and another crappy star or viceversa HIGH crit damage (85+) and another crappy stat.. you'll just reroll the fourth stat..

steady striker
i don't want to sound a jerk, but they're terrible.. they have loh.. they have asp.. they have crit... but no vit and no dex..
either reroll the armor into vit (or dex.. if you have enough toughness definitely go for def), OR if you are sporting an elemental build, i'd go for bracer with
+x element damge of your choice
+dex
and two additional stat.. one of which SHOULD be either a decent amount of crit (always rule of tumb never go for sub 5.. 5 is the MINIMUM you're seeking) and the other a survival stat that you like (vit? loh? your call)

chest
drop that shit..
you can find plenty of chest with
dex
life
+one nice suffix
if you REALLY aim for the cyclone strike bonus, at least be a man and reroll the bonus armor.. either into dex or into life...
frankly i'd forgo everything and try to nag and reroll a rare chest so that it offers
410ish dex
400ish life
loh
3 sockets
the socket number is mandatory, and a rare chest with 4 primary property and dex+vit+loh+crapStat is easy to come by.. and the reroll is painless..

boots
this slot is ok, but i'd try to reroll a secondary into a bonus for a skill of choice.. i don't remember which skill the boots can be rerolled on but do consider it in the future..

legs
take away the armor
the only reason i'd go for legendary "generic" legs is if they offer say
dex
life
2 sockets
resist all
else just go with rare pants with
dex
life
sockets
+one stat as whatever you feel like..
if you want to keep your leg you should REALLY reroll them, but frankly i'd say that as a waste of a shard since they're really a weak item...

guantlets
again aim for a 4 property guantlets
they should have
dex
vit
crit chance
1 crap to be changed to crit dmg..

if you really don't find anything on those lines, try something with
dex, vit, loh, + crap and reroll the crap suffix into crit chance :p

stone of jordan
soj.. eh.. the other stats are okayish but the elite dmg +30%? most of times you'll be fightining NON elites, so either you put this one on during boss or stuff like that or you don't use it at all :)
plus a ring is a KEY item for so many bonus
frankly you should get aim for a
dex
crit chance
crit dmg
then either vit or attack speed depending on your toughness..
my general approach for ring is
dex and crit as a combo are easy to come by.. if you find one that has 4 property (MANDATORY), 5 critical chance and either 6 attack speed or a sizeable amount of vitality/ther stuff and the last stat is crap.. you're golden, just reroll the crap stat into crit dmg... same if you find a ring with crit chance, HIGH crit dmg, vit and a crap stat... reroll the crap stat into dex..
rule of thum is always aim for 4 useful stat.. if AFTER a reroll you're left with 3 useful stat and 1 shit, most likely it means that either you reforged wrong OR you picked an item with 1 great modified, 1 decent modifier and two trash modified.. and that won't serve our purpose to optimize

ring2
the same general advice as ring1 applies.. tough if you really are attached to this ring, you can reroll the armor bonus into crit damage bonus (try to get at least 40...)

offhand
you've got a socket which is nice, but you can easily find a decent dex, vit, weapon with a socket or with a crap stat that can be rerolled into a socket with way more dps than 1,7k.. try to abandon that weapon in favour of a 1,9k rare one hander with vit, dex and a crap stat that you'll reroll into a socket.. if you find one that has LOH on top of all these stuff even better, but it's just icing the cake...

mainhand
just NO..
damage is okay, but really no socket? that's stupid... remove the 6% attack speed or remove the vitality and put an emerald in a socket there...

belt
I don't like the belt.. the loh is low, it just has three stats....
but beggars can't be choosers..
personally i'll use on my monk a string of ears i've found.. it has comparable dex, it has vit, and another stat.. plus it has a secondary which reduces physical damage by 25% (which won't cover a whole lot of enemies, but it will at least reduce the damage of some of 'em)..

so a quick general recap..
if you have to choose
socket on weapon
crit dmg//crit %
dex
attack speed (this may go down depending on spec/classes)
socket on armor
defensive stat (life, life%, loh, all res)

non standard stat like
+X to skill
+X to elemental damage
deserves more information, as they are becoing more and more widespread..
if your build has a specific type of elemental damage your BEST bet would be to have a modifier for that element on the wrist as this is a common affix, or bonus to a specific moves (most likely coming from helm, chest, whatever...)
this won't count as on-paper dps but they really adds up in terms of numbers...

of course if your toughness is REALLY low the defensive stat may rise a few position, but in the long run as you get more and more equipped, you get to choose what exacly you can sacrifice and what you can't sacrifice (and when you hit the sweetzone for toughness on your "usual" playing difficulty, either you ramp up the difficulty or tweak your gear so that additional toughness is actually dps stat, since you don't need anymore toughness at that moment)

hope this help..
If you were in the eu, i'd say come with me and get a bit carried for a few bounty till we get 5 horadrim chest.. rack up on rares and check if any rare is "worth" using/rerolln.. then open the horadric chest...

alas you're on us so, that's that...

Cipherr

Things can't kill me because they're frozen or dead.

Yeah, stuff like mobs freezing themselves on your ice shield every time they land a single hit doesnt show up on your Toughness calc, but contributes massively to survival. Toughness and DPS really only tell part of the story.

J-Rzez

So Kadala was nice enough to give me the other green 1h crossbow. Seems like a big dps drop for me though. Now. If i reroll a socket on the 2nd one does that crit dmg gem work as well since its in a weapon or does it becone just a dex gem?

so..
change the ***** to "************" without quotes, as for some the forum is blocking tinypic and i don't have another image hoster at hand :X
my future amulet as soon as i secure another top tier emerald..
2a0038j.jpg

if it was a 5 property rare ammy with vit as well i'd be REALLY happy, but as it is, it's a solid upgrade nonethless :)

anddd
today rng was nice to me and i dropped a dead man's legacy..
BUTTTT

294go7t.jpg

the rng giveth the rng taketh..
16 asp on 20 top
8 crit on 10 top
sooo not to jelly atm..
especially since i have to reroll for sure one stat (most likely hate regen) to get back the elemental arrow bonus...
so i'm ot too thrilled about this update :/

Trickster

Tank Wizard best Wizard.

With or without buffs ?

Edit - also, get 3 sockets in your chest, and 2 in your pants

Bro, do you even heal

Healing stats have scaled incredibly bad between 60 and 70. So it's kind of a waste to invest in it. I mean at lvl 60 you could get around 8-900 life regen per second on items right? On lvl 70 slot pieces, it seems to cap at 2.5k regen a second. Which is terrible considering I have around 6 times my lvl 60 health :/

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but what are some good ways to farm/make gold? I'm currently running T1 Adventure Modes/Rifts. I only have 100k cause I've been fucking re-rolling and gemming so much shit. And my gear is still shit. I have gotten nothing but legendary mats and patterns the whole game.

Thanks.

Trickster

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but what are some good ways to farm/make gold? I'm currently running T1 Adventure Modes/Rifts. I only have 100k cause I've been fucking re-rolling and gemming so much shit. And my gear is still shit. I have gotten nothing but legendary mats and patterns the whole game.

Thanks.

I think Dahbomb said something about selling all his rares to vendors rather than salvaging them. Other than that I dunno. I get 6-7 million a day just by playing.

crazyprac

Today is good day! Skorn with socket. Firebird 2 piece. 2 amulets. The other level 70 mage plan. Crafted 10 royal gems... I'm broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom