• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekushiria

Neo Member
Found these two lovely items yesterday ^_^ The game just became twice as fun. My effective DPS has sky rocketed and the ball of hate really gives me insane AP regen.

5I2Avnf.png
f1ndNzh.png

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I must have the worst luck ever. Been playing a ton since release and I have found only 2 legendaries that I could equip on my wizard. Both on launch day. Neither particularly good, just barely better than rares. Game doesn't feel rewarding at all. I can't even get forgotten souls from rifts. Seriously I've found like 2 out of 50 rifts. It's not like I need them b/c I don't even have any legs to enchant, but still. I feel like banging my head against my desk would be more productive.

Tarazet

I need help. I die all the time on Master and even sometimes on expert.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Baliun-1348/hero/1471225

What am I doing wrong? I figure at level 60 with 20 some paragon levels I shouldn't be struggling so bad. I'm in adventure mode and usually just run them on expert until a hard boss and drop to hard. :( I suck.

Change from Sixth Sense to Seize the Initiative, and I would also use Serenity instead of Seven-Sided Strike. Being able to selectively ignore anything on the screen is amazing.

Al13n

Neo Member
In the real world someone could get fired, but Blizz didn't even fire Jay Wilson, and that says a lot.

OMG Jay Wilson!

Would be a perfect candidate for the 2nd expansion Reaper of Diablo with him starring as the end-boss..

Anyone know what he is up to atm?

scy

Kadala pls. 6,000 shards in now and she has not given me anything but blues/yellows.

My comrade. Nearly 10,000 shards and not a goddamn thing.

Especially since Crusader doesn't have the innate damage reduction that Monk and Barbarian do, you'll want to value pieces with high rolls of Strength, Armor and Resist All much more than high Vitality rolls. 400-500k should be enough hit points for most content.

~350k or so is probably the sweet spot imo. 15k Armor / 1000 Resists / 1600 LpWS and steamrolling T3 rifts (when my DPS are all logged on).

Skab

plz blizz

UAmtqXt.png

plz..

I honestly don't think it will ever happen. WD are not a replacement, I know this, but this expansion has made actual summon builds possible. So that class type has been fulfilled.

But we don't have a shapeshifting class. So bring on the Druids, Blizzard. I am ready.

Dahbomb

My Crusader has 8 million toughness and feels so squishy in T1. My resistances are sitting at 600 for all. Is that too low?
600 resistances is aweful. I have 1500-1600 resistances and I still feel that isn't enough some times for a melee. And Crusader doesn't even have the 30% mitigation of the other melee!

Toughness values are not good because they over value health. It's damage mitigation that makes you tankier. This means resistances (I would try to get above 1000 for all of them except maybe Arcane. Arcane is the easiest to avoid followed by Ice) and high armor values. At that point you can have 300K health and still be tanky. It will also make your blocking better.

You also should get some healing. Life per Wrath spent is good for Crusader as is some life regen. He has a passive that heals him when he blocks which is very effective if you have a high block chance.

OMG Jay Wilson!

Would be a perfect candidate for the 2nd expansion Reaper of Diablo with him starring as the end-boss..

Anyone know what he is up to atm?

He's listed as the lead of the Hearthstone Strike Team, which handles balance issues in that game. There's other notable Blizzard employees like Dustin Browder (heading two games right now) and Chris Sigaty on the team, so I don't imagine it's a very formal or time-consuming team.

MYE

In the real world someone could get fired, but Blizz didn't even fire Jay Wilson, and that says a lot.

Why should Jay Wilson be fired? lol
Vanilla D3 was what it was because Blizzard was fully behind the product.

Dont vilify the man and put the new team leader on a pedestal because Blizzard fucked up during his time and knew what to fix afterwards.
The fan base calling him a fat fuck and wishing him dead is a million times more embarrasing than the RAH or poor drop rate.

Nymerio

I need help. I die all the time on Master and even sometimes on expert.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Baliun-1348/hero/1471225

What am I doing wrong? I figure at level 60 with 20 some paragon levels I shouldn't be struggling so bad. I'm in adventure mode and usually just run them on expert until a hard boss and drop to hard. :( I suck.

I'd get rid of Seven-Sided Strike and pick up Dashing Strike. It's one of the best skills the Monk has in my opinion. I'd also swap Inner Sanctuary for something else, if you still need a defensive skill after Dashing Strike try Serenity. If you don't have some + Fire Dmg on items you could swap Lashing Tail Kick rune to Scorpion Sting. 1.5 sec stun with 85% chance is really good. Epiphany with the Windwalker rune is really nice to have for elite packs, activate it and burst them down while you heal yourself through your spells. I assume you have Beacon of Ytar for SSS? If you get rid of SSS you could swap it out for Seize the Initiative for the extra armor. Depending on how you survive then you could also get rid of Near Death Experience and go for something better. I used Guardian's Path for a long time, coupled with Sixth Sense you should have a pretty good chance to dodge lots of attacks.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Feels good being a Pet Witch Doctor build and not having to focus directly on just straight DPS numbers.

My DPS numbers are only in the 500k range but I have some retardo DPS with my fetishes due to them not benefiting from %Crit Dmg Increase stats. I am stacking a ton of +physical damage and attack speed and my crit chance is around 45%. I just need a Mask of Jeram. I cant seem to get one.

Once I have that I will be pretty set. My Fetishes w/o the Mask of Jeram are hitting for 1.7-2.0 million each hit. With it they will hit for pretty much double that each hit. And I have Tasker & Theo which gives my pets a 50% attack speed buff.

With all the +physical dmg buffs, my Pile On Zombie Charger skill is hitting for about 6-7 million per hit. lol

Just got my WD to 70 and wanting to go the pet route. By +physical dmg buffs, do you mean items that have "Physical skills do X% more damage" or whatever it is? Or is there a item affix I'm not aware of and need to keep an eye out for?

Edit: Also, at what point of Life per Hit amount does leeching dogs become worth it?

Kacho

600 resistances is aweful. I have 1500-1600 resistances and I still feel that isn't enough some times for a melee. And Crusader doesn't even have the 30% mitigation of the other melee!

Toughness values are not good because they over value health. It's damage mitigation that makes you tankier. This means resistances (I would try to get above 1000 for all of them except maybe Arcane. Arcane is the easiest to avoid followed by Ice) and high armor values. At that point you can have 300K health and still be tanky. It will also make your blocking better.

You also should get some healing. Life per Wrath spent is good for Crusader as is some life regen. He has a passive that heals him when he blocks which is very effective if you have a high block chance.

Yeah, my cousin has a Monk and he doesn't budge during combat. Meanwhile, I'm running away like a wuss shortly after combat starts lol. Hopefully I'll find some better gear today. I'll start with the resist gems and use the passive you're referring to.

Dahbomb

Yeah, my cousin has a Monk and he doesn't budge during combat. Meanwhile, I'm running away like a wuss shortly after combat starts lol. Hopefully I'll find some better gear today. I'll start with the resist gems and use the passive you're referring to.
That's really because Crusader isn't a strict melee class.

Use skills that attack from a distance. Stuff like Hammers or Blessed Shields. Get a ton of Wrath regen so you can just do stuff like Hammer, move a bit, Hammer so you are regaining some Wrath in between. Even one of his Wrath generators hits from a distance.

JCizzle

If I beat Mathael at lvl 69, can I just kill him again once I reach lvl 70 and get a legendary?

If you're 69 already, just grind to 70 before facing him. Only way to get a guaranteed legendary once you beat him the first time is to reset quests and go through the whole game again.

ElyrionX

Massive lag on Americas for me as well.

The game guide page on Blizzard's site doesn't seem to have been updated for RoS. I'm trying to find info on the Tal Rasha set. Any idea where I can get this?

Just got my WD to 70 and wanting to go the pet route. By +physical dmg buffs, do you mean items that have "Physical skills do X% more damage" or whatever it is? Or is there a item affix I'm not aware of and need to keep an eye out for?

Edit: Also, at what point of Life per Hit amount does leeching dogs become worth it?

Yes to Phys Skills do +X% is what you want to go for.

Int & Phys Skills do +X% & Aspd & Crit Chance

Don't put anything in Critical Bonus Damage. Pets get a standard 50% no matter what so putting anything in there would be bleh.

As for Life per Hit - I don't have any in Paragon. I do use Leech Dogs though. I rely a bunch on Life regen per sec and rarely have issues sitting in the middle of mobs and not dying as my resists are over 1000ish now. I have a good amount of Vit as well so I'm around 450K health.

scy

Even one of his Wrath generators hits from a distance.

Justice is full ranged and the rest are all longer-than-normal-melee range.

And I have no problem wading into full melee alongside the Monk I normally have around. If anything, I'm the tankier of the two with the Armor/Resist total mitigation vs his. Well, if not for the 30% inherent DR discrepancy ;___; Having a revive for every fight helps a lot too, though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
endgame spoilers

i played as a wizard; is it supposed to be implied that your mentor is the hero from diablo 2?

Ketch

finally got the expac.... got my crusader to lvl 40 hardcore in like a day. good times.

Is anybody else playing hardcore?

I can't wait for ladders (I hope they're real)

BigDug13

You're messing with the pet skills now and that's cool, but if you ever want to remove zombie dogs from your skill bar, there's a way you can still keep zombie dogs:

Here's a tip that I don't see many Witch Doctors take advantage of, and I'm pretty sure this has worked since day 1 of the game. You can have Zombie Dogs for free, but they will be without any runes. But they can be free if you wanted.

Use the Circle of Life passive that gives percent chance to spawn zombie dogs when things die around you. Keep using it until you you have 3 zombie dogs spawned. Now you can get rid of Circle of Life passive and change to a passive you'd rather use. Zombie Dogs remain by your side after you've changed out of Circle of Life passive.

Free dogs.

Atlantis

You're messing with the pet skills now and that's cool, but if you ever want to remove zombie dogs from your skill bar, there's a way you can still keep zombie dogs:

Here's a tip that I don't see many Witch Doctors take advantage of, and I'm pretty sure this has worked since day 1 of the game. You can have Zombie Dogs for free, but they will be without any runes. But they can be free if you wanted.

Use the Circle of Life passive that gives percent chance to spawn zombie dogs when things die around you. Keep using it until you you have 3 zombie dogs spawned. Now you can get rid of Circle of Life passive and change to a passive you'd rather use. Zombie Dogs remain by your side after you've changed out of Circle of Life passive.

Free dogs.

I've been doing this with the legendary ring that gives you one large powerful dog instead of three, it's awesome.

MYE

Any tips for my lightning wiz build? My off-hand is crappy but I haven't gotten a SINGLE off-hand drop in RoS...

Helm and pants have 1 socket each. Don't know why they don't show up here.

terrisus

You have to consider the impact it had on the game. It was balanced around the AH existing, and making loot drops have such an insane stat allocation that you'd have an abysmally low chance of finding anything worthwhile for yourself. It isn't fun to grind gold and spend hours on the AH searching through pages of gear to find an upgrade at a reasonable price. The worst part is when you finally come about a significant amount of gold only to spend all day on the AH trying to figure out how to spend it on the most optimal upgrade possible.

It may seem like it makes sense to add an AH to the game because it does make it easier it trade, but the negative impact far outweighs the convenience. Being able to upgrade your gear by playing through the game yourself and with friends is much more enjoyable and true to the genre/series.

I'd also like to add that those websites, regardless of the AH, still existed and were used for D3. Private trading through those means will always exist. I also feel there's more of a sense of community through trading with people personally, rather than through a menu.

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't agree.

There's no reason at all that item balance and configuration couldn't have been changed while leaving the auction house in place. None. The fact that Blizzard presented it as such is a complete red herring.

If one chooses to "grind gold and spend hours on the AH searching through pages of gear to find an upgrade at a reasonable price," well, that's on you. Again, there's nothing forcing you to do that - especially if the item changes were made where it was easier to find good gear for yourself from your own drops.

While it's true that websites like that still existed even with the auction house, it's nothing but a good thing to give people a legitimate option as opposed to making anyone who wants to do that go to other websites for it.

Also, you may feel it gives "more of a sense of community to trade with people directly," but, I don't feel there's anything of a community in people spamming chats with advertisements. But, hey, if you like to do that, you could still do that even with the AH. Sure, many people might not have wanted to trade directly when they could get more on the AH - but that's just another sign that the AH was a superior option. And, even aside from that - frankly, I don't really care about a "sense of community." I pretty much play Diablo as a single-player game, and am not really very interested in participating in a "community."

Not everyone plays the game the same way, and forcing everyone into a particular playstyle when it doesn't need to be that way (and wasn't that way before - a change was made to make things more restrictive) is a definite negative.

terrisus

Why can't I still choose to appear offline to my friendlist/specific member?
WHY BLIZZARD???!

Yeah, it simply baffles me this option hasn't been put in yet.
I could swear I heard they were going to be putting it in like last May, and yet here we are nearly 11 months later, and still not there.

MYE

AH just led people to farm for gold to buy insanely overpriced loot, instead of actually feeling rewarded in getting their own powerful gear more often.

Play to pay to win VS Play to get rewarded and win

Why would anyone want the first?

terrisus

AH just led people to farm for gold to buy insanely overpriced loot, instead of actually feeling rewarded in getting their own powerful gear more often.

Play to pay to win VS Play to get rewarded and win

Why would anyone want the first?

But, again, there's no reason at all that item drops and stats couldn't have been adjusted while leaving the AH in place.

To wit - if we were getting the same exact drops we are now, but the AH still existed, people who didn't want to use the AH would have the exact same items they do now. Meanwhile, people who wanted to use it could continue to use it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Can you do a character from 1 to 70 on Adventure mode, then switch to Campaign to get a guaranteed lvl 70 legendary from all Act bosses?

MYE

But, again, there's no reason at all that item drops and stats couldn't have been adjusted while leaving the AH in place.

To wit - if we were getting the same exact drops we are now, but the AH still existed, people who didn't want to use the AH would have the exact same items they do now. Meanwhile, people who wanted to use it could continue to use it.

But that would mean that overabundance of any given item (due to higher drop rate) would devalue their AH prices and populate the online scene with overpowered players 1000x quicker.
Being given the option to buy the best of everything discourages build experimentation and ultimately shortens the replayability of the game.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
and with malthael down, it's time to delete my bootcamp partition and return to the land of 'oh fuck i have a phd thesis to write and only 18 months to do it ;_;'

GiJoccin

but where it's at now, if the AH was back in, there would most likely be a drive to make the good loot less common in order to find a balance between finding loot on your own, and finding loot via AH.

basically, the AH would represent the drive to keep drops/stats in check

GiJoccin

Can you do a character from 1 to 70 on Adventure mode, then switch to Campaign to get a guaranteed lvl 70 legendary from all Act bosses?

i think they're on different saves, so you can do adventure all you want, but that will never advance the campaign on that particular character. you would still have to do that separately.

terrisus

But that would mean that overabundance of any given item (due to higher drop rate) would devalue their AH prices and populate the online scene with overpowered players 1000x quicker.
Being given the option to buy the best of everything discourages build experimentation and ultimately shortens the replayability of the game.

So the solution is to make it more awkward and difficult to trade, and make people go other routes for auctions?
If that's such an issue, why not just moderate the AH instead? Like they did with setting minimum prices on gold and such like that. Set some sort of minimum price based on the item's in-game gold price or something.

There are plenty of ways to work around issues other than taking their ball and going home.

but where it's at now, if the AH was back in, there would most likely be a drive to make the good loot less common in order to find a balance between finding loot on your own, and finding loot via AH.

basically, the AH would represent the drive to keep drops/stats in check

Again, there's no need at all for that to happen. None.

Megasoum

Banned
So is there any ways to get lower level gems when you're 70 other than leveling another character?

I'm kinda stuck right now. My wizard is 70 farming adventure mode but my templar has shit amulet/rings... The thing is since I'm a wizard I never get str drops and I could make amulets of strength with the jewelcrafter but for that I need lower level gems that I don't have anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom