• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexi

Banned
Fill me in. What would ladders do in Diablo? I understand the point for competitive games but I'm confused as to how it would apply here.

Also, I broke a million DPS, but I don't think that tells the whole story. Magic missile is 3x stronger than normal O_O

Bloody hell my Mirrorball only rolled '1 additional magic missile' affix! DAMN!

Ceebs

I really love my Blade of Prophecy, but I would *kill* for a Fate of the Fell.

Also, The Mortal Drama is the best item name in all D3.

EDIT: Talking about Mortal Drama... just dropped.

be3c145b1668a20dcce979857cf5f140.png

Got one of these earlier today, but it had abysmal rolls on everything. Not even the mystic could salvage it.

Then I must have had some super bizarre RNG when it started me in Act V over twenty times in a row.

Because when I want to do Rakkis Crossing on T6 for gold, I don't want to have to keep clicking to the world map. Call me lazy, but it gets pretty annoying having to do that every time.
Yeah that is pretty lazy given that it's literally one single extra click.

Can't remember who it was, but someone in clan chat was moaning about bounties where it says "kill all monsters in <dungeon name> level 2" not warping you straight in to the start of the dungeon.

Seems to be a bit of a common thing. Now that Blizzard have streamlined the game experience tenfold, it's still not good enough for people who literally want to be spoonfed legendaries without having to do even a little bit of work.

KePoW

Banned

Can't remember who it was, but someone in clan chat was moaning about bounties where it says "kill all monsters in <dungeon name> level 2" not warping you straight in to the start of the dungeon.

Seems to be a bit of a common thing. Now that Blizzard have streamlined the game experience tenfold, it's still not good enough for people who literally want to be spoonfed legendaries without having to do even a little bit of work.

Totally agree with you. Gamers are some of the whiniest people around.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Dinged 70. Have only ~185K DPS though, since pretty much nothing dropped for me from 65-70. So I can't really do much, yet. I survive Rift runs on Hard, but it's pretty dicey.

Anyone know of any strong WD builds? I'm running something just for fun now, that I suspect isn't even close to optimized.

ameleco

So, I play a level 70 wiz and I started to farm on torment but found myself dying way too much and it taking forever to kill anything so I switched to hard and now I kill everything pretty quickly and never die. The issue: I haven't really made any massive gains in stats since I hit 70 at all. It's all been trade-offs (more damage for less toughness, etc). When will I actually see real gains so I can get up to torment difficulty? Most guides say that speed is better than the percentage differences you get from higher difficulties, but I am tired of playing a couple hours and seeing crap legendaries and rare gear that aren't upgrades but side-grades. Should I farm on another difficulty? Expert? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

scy

My main complaint with the "Kill all monsters in X Level 2" is the Act 3 dungeons that are huge sprawling massive areas. But that's more from a "trying to speedrun all 5 Act Bounties" sort of thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, I play a level 70 wiz and I started to farm on torment but found myself dying way too much and it taking forever to kill anything so I switched to hard and now I kill everything pretty quickly and never die. The issue: I haven't really made any massive gains in stats since I hit 70 at all. It's all been trade-offs (more damage for less toughness, etc). When will I actually see real gains so I can get up to torment difficulty? Most guides say that speed is better than the percentage differences you get from higher difficulties, but I am tired of playing a couple hours and seeing crap legendaries and rare gear that aren't upgrades but side-grades. Should I farm on another difficulty? Expert? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

At this point the game becomes about farming legendaries for crafting materials to improve the good legendaries that you might already have. That's sort of the impression that I've gotten since I've hit a similar wall, except my character is stuck in T1 for the most part.

ameleco

At this point the game becomes about farming legendaries for crafting materials to improve the good legendaries that you might already have. That's sort of the impression that I've gotten since I've hit a similar wall, except my character is stuck in T1 for the most part.

Ah okay. So basically using the mystic, then?

Naeblish

The rune Resolved for the crusader skill judgment says:
Damage dealt to judged enemies has an 80% increased chance to be a Critical Hit.
Does this mean, CHC + 80% or CHC * 0.8. In case of the first i'm gonna try to make a build around it. Use condemn to suck the enemies in, judge them, then falling sword and condemn all critical hit for huge dmg!

Radec

Ah okay. So basically using the mystic, then?

Mystic is your best friend in this expansion.

Don't ignore the yellows that drops. Some are pretty good and you can enchant them to replace a stat which can improve your character.

Right now farming normal is almost the same as other difficulty except torments.

Personally i go adventure in normal and rifts in torment.

Went from 100k to 700k from that and by enchanting yellows. I got awful luck on huge dps legendaries so I abuse these yellows and elemental damage.

Fill me in. What would ladders do in Diablo? I understand the point for competitive games but I'm confused as to how it would apply here.

It's not about MMR as applied shooters, Dota, etc. Ladders is more of a throwback phrase to the Diablo II system. "Seasons" is probably the more appropriate word. You'll play/gear fresh characters on their own instance of the game (ala the harcore/softcore separation now) and try to max out as much as you can before they're either wiped or moved down to the default leagues. Now pure XP/levels isn't as compelling a metric for softcore as it is for hardcore ladder players, but that's where you have things like the tiered rifts with speed clear leaderboards come in. So you're competing with fresh characters in a limited timeframe to level, gear and get fast times. At the end of a season you hand out rewards like achievements, portraits, banner designs, transmog skins, etc. based on participation and ladder position. For example, the top X% would get some special stuff ala the titles and mounts handed out after WoW arena seasons.

When/if actual PvP is implemented, that could be another aspect of the system, with MMR rankings involved.

And that's not even touching some of the interesting things that Path of Exile has done (which could be done in Diablo as well) with races and ladder "affixes" so to speak, see here for some examples.

Another long one that needed its own post:

I do wish that playing on higher torments was more akin to playing the latter acts of Inferno/higher MPs in vanilla where you'd have more higher iLvl drops. iLvl is pretty much gone now though, but what I'd do (saw this suggestion somewhere else) is make the higher torment ticks have an improved chance of rolling better stats just by progressively narrowing the possible ranges upward. So you could still roll a perfect item in Torment 1 compared to Torment 6, it would just be more rare. Quick example: Torment 1 the range on main stat for an item would be 400-600. Torment 6 it would be something like 575-600. (numbers completely made up). Using the mystic would be even more of a gamble on a T6 rolled item, since she'd still give you the full range of rolls (perhaps even lower than maximum drop roll), so you'd have to choose carefully or possibly end up sinking tons of gold/mats.

For that latter example, which could just be applied to the game as is (and might be an interesting addition) - you have the mystic able to get close, but not roll quite as high as the possible dropped range. So say, the range for a stat on the dropped item is 400-515. Mystic would only be able to roll 400-500. So you might get very close to perfect, but not completely without it dropping that way in the first place.

dengatron

The rune Resolved for the crusader skill judgment says:

Does this mean, CHC + 80% or CHC * 0.8. In case of the first i'm gonna try to make a build around it. Use condemn to suck the enemies in, judge them, then falling sword and condemn all critical hit for huge dmg!

it's 80% crit hit chance. you will have 100% crit with 20 on gear. it works well with the condemn/bombardment burst build

scy

Personally, it's also a pretty bad build unless you have massive amounts of CDR% to bring the cooldowns all down to reasonable levels.

Naeblish

Personally, it's also a pretty bad build unless you have massive amounts of CDR% to bring the cooldowns all down to reasonable levels.
Still lvling my crusader, but was planning on doing that anyway. Crusader has 11 cooldown skills from a total of 24 skills (17 if you dont count primaries and laws). Some of those hit like a truck, so i figured CDR is probably worth it.

Acidote

I played this weekend with some friends, as I never play this game alone, with no luck at all while they had legendaries drop here and there. After hours and hours and while we were clearing a rift, a legendary finally dropped for my wizard: A scoundrel relic, and with intellect instead of dexterity. I ragequitted so hard that I left the house.

Bradach

I played my first adventure mode game last night. I like it a lot.

When I finish all 5 bounties in an act I get a bag of goodies, then if I have enough yokes I can open a Nephalim Rift. But when I killed the boss in there I didn't get a bag of goodies, is this correct?

I though the Nephalim rift was meant to be full of loot with the motherload at the end? I found the nephalim rift to be about the same as the bounties from a loot point of view.

scy

Still lvling my crusader, but was planning on doing that anyway. Crusader has 11 cooldown skills from a total of 24 skills (17 if you dont count primaries and laws). Some of those hit like a truck, so i figured CDR is probably worth it.

CDR is worth it but you'll get more damage out of utilizing shorter cooldown skills to deal with things rather than relying on the large ones. I run Condemn as my cooldown damage skill with Shield Glare for CC + Wrath Generation and Heaven's Fury with Fires of Heaven as my Wrath dump. It's basically the DH Cluster Arrow build in regards to how it plays out but in melee. Ranged build would probably just bite the bullet on Bombardment being used if only due to the lack of another good option that doesn't rely on dropping the best Wrath dump.

Dedicating a skill slot to Judgment just for the sake of spiking a big crit, something you can just gear to accomplish most of the time anyway, leads to streaky damage as you're heavily cooldown gated. That's all.

Edit: Also, you can't really gear all that much CDR% unless you start dropping vital stats on other slots. Maybe go for CC/CD/CDR as your trifecta roll but that still leaves you at under-45%, I believe, even with ~20% from Helm + Paragon + Shoulders.

dengatron

If you're one shotting elites, cooldowns don't necessarily matter. After I get blade of prophecy, I'll dump bombardment for akarat's or something more useful. My mortal drama roll sucks anyways, and I'm getting bored of maximus doing all of my damage.

Zuly

I am never ever changing the look of my helm.

7QzdD.jpg

With that said, I am slowly and I mean, very slowly upgrading my gear. I am up to 800k now, so my next task is to increase my toughness without sacrificing damage.

I also saw someone in clan chat get some badass shoulders for WD for behold, he salvaged them because he has no need for them. This Account Bound thing is starting to annoy me. :(

Arkanius

Also, I broke a million DPS, but I don't think that tells the whole story. Magic missile is 3x stronger than normal O_O

Take a look at what Path of Exile is doing with Seasons/Ladders

http://www.pathofexile.com/seasons

It should give you a good idea what to expect (Or at least, what we want)

ElyrionX

I don't think these are two different affixes. There is only one element bonus and it's the one that applies to skills.

I have not seen anything that isn't "X skills deal 15% more damage".

Tbh, I don't have it on any of my equipment except for legacy gear (zuni boots and triumvirate). However I have seen it on my friend's triumvirate and he claims that one is an RoS drop. Will check out his profile again when I get back later.

I'm pretty happy about this drop. It did take about 12 rerolls to get that socket on it though.

f73b74a92a1a883c0a6bb05fb2edd581.png

Man seeing this....2-Handers are still weak compared to a one hander,I mean 2200-2400 for 1 hand or 2700-2900 for a 2hander,why not just go for 2 1 handers and be done with it.

Unless I'm missing something, someone care to enlighten me? as so far nothing has changed, 1H>>>>>2H.

Totakeke

Man seeing this....2-Handers are still weak compared to a one hander,I mean 2200-2400 for 1 hand or 2700-2900 for a 2hander,why not just go for 2 1 handers and be done with it.

Unless I'm missing something, someone care to enlighten me? as so far nothing has changed, 1H>>>>>2H.

Well...

rwcU5IQ.png

Unfortunately I also have a 2050 dps WKL. Can't win everything.

Kssio_Aug

Which class is the most recommended to play at Hardcore mode? I was thinking about a Crusader, but I dont really know how this class is handling things.

Grampasso

After a long session in adventure mode yesterday I managed to update quite a bit of my 60 equipment, in particular my weapon (Danetta's Spite with socket rerolled, 2,4k dps). I tried to run on Master in the first act but it took definitely too much to kill enemies. How much dps is needed? I think my thoughness is ok but dps isn't that high and since my main DPS source should at least be on par with the definitive one if will ever drop (Kridershot) I'm wondering if there has been a general ramp up in difficulty or I'm still missing stats.
When I was 60 and came back to play after more than a year it took me 2-3 full game runs on expert to be able to run on master but it doesn't seems the same situation now. Is it the same for you as well?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Which class is the most recommended to play at Hardcore mode? I was thinking about a Crusader, but I dont really know how this class is handling things.

Play whatever you want, you'll probably be playing on a difficulty that makes it very hard to get killed on.

Radec

Hi everybody,

A number of hotfixes were applied over the weekend that amongst other things buffed the drop rates of Legendary items.

These particular hotfixes are aimed to help improve the reward curve for players as they start to reach higher Torment difficulties:
The chance for a player to earn a Legendary item from Kadala has been significantly increased.
The drop rate for Legendary items in Torment 1-6 has been increased.

We are interested in hearing what you think about these hotfixes, so please do not hesitate to share your feedback below :)
http://www.diablofans.com/blizz-tracker/topic/53432-recent-hotfix-to-legendary-items

J2d

Has anyone done a rift in 2 minutes? I'm puzzled by that achievement as I don't see how you could possibly do it even if you one shot everything.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know for sure if weapon procs, like from Scourge (demonic fury) or Thunderfury can crit? I've been told they can but would like confirmation, can't test atm.

Does anyone know for sure if weapon procs, like from Scourge (demonic fury) or Thunderfury can crit? I've been told they can but would like confirmation, can't test atm.

Thunderfury can. I've got my display to only show crits and in between Frenzy hits I would see triple the damage pop up when I had it on my barb

ElyrionX

The cracks are starting to show in this game's "endgame". I have no problem grinding for hours for legendary items; but when 90% of them are worse than the rares I'm using, I start to question what I'm doing.

This is a problem with all ARPGs and was a major problem with D3 vanilla as well. I thought this was a major reason for people leaving and then when people came back to RoS claiming how much better it was because they were finding so many legendaries, it was pretty clear that complaints like yours would come sooner rather than later.

The thing I like a lot about D3 is that it cut out a lot of the artificial replayability of D2 by allowing for instant respecs and higher drop rates. However, this definitely does mean that the endgame grind will become meaningless a lot faster for people who see their stats plateau out. Legendaries with gameplay changing affixes are a way to solve this issue bit there doesn't appear to be enough of them around.

Svafnir

Sweet, thanks, Googled it but did not find that very informative page. So the Scourge proc takes the same % of weapon damage that the ability that procced it did? That would be pretty amazing.

Someone else tested that particular item, not me. So I cannot confirm 100%

Wunder

This is a problem with all ARPGs and was a major problem with D3 vanilla as well. I thought this was a major reason for people leaving and then when people came back to RoS claiming how much better it was because they were finding so many legendaries, it was pretty clear that complaints like yours would come sooner rather than later.

The thing I like a lot about D3 is that it cut out a lot of the artificial replayability of D2 by allowing for instant respecs and higher drop rates. However, this definitely does mean that the endgame grind will become meaningless a lot faster for people who see their stats plateau out. Legendaries with gameplay changing affixes are a way to solve this issue bit there doesn't appear to be enough of them around.

Yeah I think this is just a fundamental issue or 'feature' with ARPGs. It hooks the player in with the gameplay and draws them in with the constant upgrading of loot but because it begs to be played, it can become exhausting very quickly. It really isn't sustainable for more than a month or so, I feel, because most people are playing every day for 6-10 hours, or more.

With so many other great games to watch and play, it's a very hard sell and an extremely tough task to keep playing for more than a few concentrated weeks, I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom