• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
every mmo and rpg suffer from im all geared up what now. annihilate shit like they are butter, or raid and gain nothing but an epeen and feel like your uber when infact your shite cause you have to group and pound a monster for several hours.

the idea is once you feel your char is satisfactory you should be playing because its fun you enjoy the game, im enjoying getting new gear, but i also cant wait till im at that sweet spot with gear and know i wont be getting new gear unless i get a god like roll.

Darkone

Dam this thread makes me want to jump back to D3 after almost 2 years.
Crusader looks bad ass to play, If i to start a Crusader what is the recommended difficult setting to start playing?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Crusader looks bad ass to play, If i to start a Crusader what is the recommended difficult setting to start playing?

hard is a sweetspot (depends on what gems you have and paragon bonus i guess too).

i choose hard its a nice jump for xp but it doesnt take you while to kill things compared to jumping straight to expert or master.

ElyrionX

lNS2pyP.png

What should I sacrifice for a socket on this weapon? I was leaning towards Attack Speed at first since I'm running a Frozen Orb build but thinking on it further, it seems like re-rolling the Cold skill damage affix would make more sense as that would make the weapon more useful for more skill builds. Any thoughts?

ElyrionX

I don't think these are two different affixes. There is only one element bonus and it's the one that applies to skills.

I have not seen anything that isn't "X skills deal 15% more damage".

Ok, I just checked my friend's profile and you're right. It's only one affix. The legacy +% element affix probably does not roll on new items anymore.

ParityBit

Where is a good place to get build ideas? I got my Wiz to level 40 and feel like I am just running around with a mix/match of skills/runes.

Do it, I am in love with the game all over again. Jumped straight into a Crusader and love it.

Moff

which proc is better, mad monarch or thunderfury? I got both but mad monarch has higher DPS, and I would have to reroll it for a socket

TheContact

This is a problem with all ARPGs and was a major problem with D3 vanilla as well. I thought this was a major reason for people leaving and then when people came back to RoS claiming how much better it was because they were finding so many legendaries, it was pretty clear that complaints like yours would come sooner rather than later.

The thing I like a lot about D3 is that it cut out a lot of the artificial replayability of D2 by allowing for instant respecs and higher drop rates. However, this definitely does mean that the endgame grind will become meaningless a lot faster for people who see their stats plateau out. Legendaries with gameplay changing affixes are a way to solve this issue bit there doesn't appear to be enough of them around.

Some of the best memories i have of d2 was maxing MF and doing boss runs before class

hard is a sweetspot (depends on what gems you have and paragon bonus i guess too).

i choose hard its a nice jump for xp but it doesnt take you while to kill things compared to jumping straight to expert or master.

I'm going Expert on my Crusader and I'm in act 2 right now, only just getting to the point where I'm starting to feel strong. Act 1 was a bit of a struggle but it was definitely more fun than my first playthrough as a dh on normal, that was just a steamroll.

Ohnonono

Just to note for Crusaders out there. If you have a non-holy bonus damage weapon and you find a holy one switching to Holy Cause will not update the compare % on the weapon. When you equip the weapon though it will take it into account and inflate the number. Very strange to have a weapon show -4.4% Damage and then when you equip it you gain 10k damage, lol.

It does mean though that without that passive the other weapon does have higher damage. I feel like needing Holy Strength really makes passive skill choices hard for the crusader. You always feel one slot short of covering your bases.

Moff

Im at level 26 with my crusader right now, master is easyily doable with some crafting.
only the treasure pigmys are too fast.

GorillaJu

Im at level 26 with my crusader right now, master is easyily doable with some crafting.
only the treasure pigmys are too fast.

Yeah, that pretty much never changes :lol You'll be forever kited by treasure goblins. Fucking heavenly strength will make you look like an ass.

Orcastar

I'm starting to get annoyed at how the difficulty levels are balanced.

I'm currently playing on T1 as a wizard with around 250k DPS (higher in reality thanks to Mirroball) and around 4 million toughness. For the most part I'm breezing through it, meaning that normal enemies give me no trouble whatsoever, but elites can still be challenging sometimes. The thing that annoys me is that it seems completely impossible to clear cursed shrines and chests or kill treasure goblins in T1. My best attempt at a cursed chest so far was 51 enemies killed before time ran out, I've only ever managed to get to wave 3 with cursed shrines, and treasure goblins always teleport away with at least 25 % health left, even if I manage to corner them. It feels like the game is basically telling me to lower my difficulty, but I don't want to do that since on Master or lower the whole thing will turn into a total cakewalk and I'll be bored out of my mind.

In other words it's beginning to feel like the game is balanced for unchallenging loot-farming and that I'm missing out on loot from cursed shrines/chests and goblins because I actually want the game to be challenging. Mind you I haven't been on lvl 70 for long or even finished act V yet (just killed
Adria
), but I've been having the same problem since before the expansion.

DSmalls84

Since I don't see a ton of people in the GAF Clan maining a Crusader I thought I would post about my experience thus far with the class.

Stats
913k Damage (Laws of Valor)
5.4 mil Toughness
3300 Healing

Build
Slash (Zeal) - I really don't care for many of the Primary skills but this hits multiple targets, generates attack speed, and has Holy damage (Reaper's Wraps Bonus).

Blessed Hammer (Limitless) - Thunderstruck is an equally fine option, but I'm stacking holy damage w/ Reaper's Wraps.

Shield Glare (Zealous Glare) - This skill has a low cooldown, basically makes you invincable for 4 seconds, and refills your wrath!

Steed Charge (Endurance) - Mobility/Panic button

Laws of Valor (Critical) - Damage buff for Elite packs and/or bosses.

Akarat's Champion (Rally) - Generates Attack Speed, Wrath, and Cools down other skills.

Passives

Heavenly Strength - Currently using a 2-handed sword on my build so necessary.

Rightousness- Wrath Generation/Pool

Wrathfulness - Health Regen while Hammering.

Blunt - Enough Said.

If you would like to see my gear I am DSmalls84#1321 on NA.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DSmalls84-1321/hero/43725298

Just a disclaimer this is probably not the best nor most efficient build, but as a D2 veteran this is the style I wanted to play. Feel free to comment ot criticize etc.

So far I am able to farm T1 pretty well with this build. Wizards seem like the most efficient class by far for farming, but since I enjoy the crusader I want to keep gearing it. The main issues I have so far are:

Wrath Generation - Somewhat mitigated by Shield Glare and Reaper's Wraps Bonus

Single Target Damage - None of the primary skills seems really that effective, and I don't really want to use the nuke skills.

Overall enjoying the class but there is definitely room for improvement.

ElyrionX

which proc is better, mad monarch or thunderfury? I got both but mad monarch has higher DPS, and I would have to reroll it for a socket

Mad Monarch's proc isn't that great because you can't control when it happens and it's even worse when you're playing in parties because kills made by your allies don't stack the kill count for it.

ElyrionX

I'm currently playing on T1 as a wizard with around 250k DPS (higher in reality thanks to Mirroball) and around 4 million toughness. For the most part I'm breezing through it, meaning that normal enemies give me no trouble whatsoever, but elites can still be challenging sometimes. The thing that annoys me is that it seems completely impossible to clear cursed shrines and chests or kill treasure goblins in T1. My best attempt at a cursed chest so far was 51 enemies killed before time ran out, I've only ever managed to get to wave 3 with cursed shrines, and treasure goblins always teleport away with at least 25 % health left, even if I manage to corner them. It feels like the game is basically telling me to lower my difficulty, but I don't want to do that since on Master or lower the whole thing will turn into a total cakewalk and I'll be bored out of my mind.

In other words it's beginning to feel like the game is balanced for unchallenging loot-farming and that I'm missing out on loot from cursed shrines/chests and goblins because I actually want the game to be challenging. Mind you I haven't been on lvl 70 for long or even finished act V yet (just killed
Adria

Torment is the highest tier difficulty. You can't expect to faceroll all the challenges T1 throws at you without at least some bit of farming.

NZNova

Ahh, Diablo. Leveling my crusader, in act 3 on master. Run around all night smashing pain-in-the-ass champions for loot that's no good. End of night, shoot random barrel, get legendary belt.

Ohnonono

Since I don't see a ton of people in the GAF Clan maining a Crusader I thought I would post about my experience thus far with the class.

Stats
913k Damage (Laws of Valor)
5.4 mil Toughness
3300 Healing

Build
Slash (Zeal) - I really don't care for many of the Primary skills but this hits multiple targets, generates attack speed, and has Holy damage (Reaper's Wraps Bonus).

Blessed Hammer (Limitless) - Thunderstruck is an equally fine option, but I'm stacking holy damage w/ Reaper's Wraps.

Shield Glare (Zealous Glare) - This skill has a low cooldown, basically makes you invincable for 4 seconds, and refills your wrath!

Steed Charge (Endurance) - Mobility/Panic button

Laws of Valor (Critical) - Damage buff for Elite packs and/or bosses.

Akarat's Champion (Rally) - Generates Attack Speed, Wrath, and Cools down other skills.

Passives

Heavenly Strength - Currently using a 2-handed sword on my build so necessary.

Rightousness- Wrath Generation/Pool

Wrathfulness - Health Regen while Hammering.

Blunt - Enough Said.

If you would like to see my gear I am DSmalls84#1321 on NA.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DSmalls84-1321/hero/43725298

Just a disclaimer this is probably not the best nor most efficient build, but as a D2 veteran this is the style I wanted to play. Feel free to comment ot criticize etc.

So far I am able to farm T1 pretty well with this build. Wizards seem like the most efficient class by far for farming, but since I enjoy the crusader and want to keep gearing it. The main issues I have so far are:

Wrath Generation - Somewhat mitigated by Shield Glare and Reaper's Wraps Bonus

Single Target Damage - None of the primary skills seems really that effective, and I don't really want to use the nuke skills.

Overall enjoying the class but there is definitely room for improvement.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/crusader#WlRifQ!WaYe!YcYZbb

Here is by build. I have about 480k DPS with valor and a bit over 5mil toughness. I have +30% holy damage though and +10% to Heavens Wrath that don't show on the damage number. T1 is pretty easy and T2 is not so bad at all. Thinking about switching out judgement for Shield Glare and Contemplating slash with zeal (though I like the heal from Smite.)

LCGeek

formerly sane

Solo if you can handle the game go to hard or expert once you get decent gear.

If you have a friend already leveled just start power leveling and get over the part of the game I dislike the least which is starting off. Getting paragons and working towards a decent setup then to something that is really good is infinitely more fun.

Getting to lvl60 takes about 15-45 minutes depending on the method you choose. There use to be ways to do it in minutes but blizzard has nerfed it. Getting to 70 is another hour if you have someone that can grind a game that you happen to be hosting if the torments are high. Do set them down as you lvl as it will scale to you.

Game is solid right now but if blizzard works at things it could easily be great.

Adria

Difficulty is misleading in diablo right now. I know it's not exactly warranted but abuse all levels depending on your need. I play at 4 different levels right now to get what I want and along with using both modes at times. Elites are not challenging once you get the gear various gaffers can back me up and I play at T3 now, before expansion t4-t6. Right now I melt them with a 40% bonus to them that is not including my electrocute which is near 50% and some lightning and cold bonsues as well. You have to gear up if that is paper dps you needs something more consistent as if you don't kill in torment mobs tend to run you over as they build up. I go through t1 like I can go through the normal difficulties for the most part. T2-T3 are currently where I have a challenge especially when I get sloppy in the later acts.

Feel free to add to add me if you're in the na and want some help or gear as being around me I seem to make it rain legendaries in comparison to a lot of others in the thread or chat.

DSmalls84

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/crusader#WlRifQ!WaYe!YcYZbb

Here is by build. I have about 480k DPS with valor and a bit over 5mil toughness. I have +30% holy damage though and +10% to Heavens Wrath that don't show on the damage number. T1 is pretty easy and T2 is not so bad at all. Thinking about switching out judgement for Shield Glare and Contemplating slash with zeal (though I like the heal from Smite.)

I would definitely recommend Shield Glare as a must use skill. That 12 second cooldown means you can spam it pretty often. Can't imagine not using it at this point.

Orcastar

Torment is the highest tier difficulty. You can't expect to faceroll all the challenges T1 throws at you without at least some bit of farming.

I think you missed my point.

The fact is that I am pretty much facerolling everything; like I said, regular enemies give me no challenge whatsoever, while elites are sometimes a challenge, i.e. I might die once or twice against a pack of elites with particularly nasty affixes, but I'll still get them down easy enough. Cursed shrines/chests and treasure goblins, however, are impossible at this point.

In other words, the problem is not that the game is too easy or too hard, but the fact that there's a huge gap between regular gameplay and cursed shrines/chests/treasure goblins. By the time I have good enough gear to take down shrines/chests/goblins in T1, regular enemies and elites will have become too easy.

Difficulty is misleading in diablo right now. I know it's not exactly warranted but abuse all levels depending on your need. I play at 4 different levels right now to get what I want and along with using both modes at times. Elites are not challenging once you get the gear various gaffers can back me up and I play at T3 now, before expansion t4-t6. Right now I melt them with a 40% bonus to them that is not including my electrocute which is near 50% and some lightning and cold bonsues as well. You have to gear up if that is paper dps you needs something more consistent as if you don't kill in torment mobs tend to run you over as they build up. I go through t1 like I can go through the normal difficulties for the most part. T2-T3 are currently where I have a challenge especially when I get sloppy in the later acts.

Feel free to add to add me if you're in the na and want some help or gear as being around me I seem to make it rain legendaries in comparison to a lot of others in the thread or chat.

That's pretty much I intend to do once I finish act V, but I still find it annoying. I wish Blizz would balance the game so that you wouldn't need to hop between multiple difficulty levels to get the most out of it.

Ohnonono

I would definitely recommend Shield Glare as a must use skill. That 12 second cooldown means you can spam it pretty often. Can't imagine not using it at this point.

I think I would have to lose condemn for it which would make me cry :(. Running into a pack busting judgement, LoV, condemn and spamming Heaven's Wrath is silly fun. Getting back all my wrath and shooting 3 more Heaven's Wrath is prolly better in the long run though.

Dawg

I would definitely recommend changing Akarat's champion to Rally for the cooldown. Most of the other skills/runes will come down to what benefits your gear the most.

All right, is consecration (what I'm currently using) -> Shield Glare something I should do as well? I've always liked popping consecration because it feels nice having a huge bubble healing me in a big pack but I'm not sure the healing is that good compared to the blindness from Shield Glare.

Braag

What is the difference between T1 and T2 anyways, as in how much better chance of finding a legendary per tick do you actually have on Torment?
T1 has become quite easy for me so I've moved to T2 but the difference in drop rate doesn't really seem to be different. I know it all comes down to chance but I have a feeling the faster pace at T1 will net me more legs...

Ohnonono

All right, is consecration (what I'm currently using) -> Shield Glare something I should do as well? I've always liked popping consecration because it feels nice having a huge bubble healing me in a big pack but I'm not sure the healing is that good compared to the blindness from Shield Glare.

Glare or judgement all day.

DSmalls84

Well Consecration has a 30 second cool down and lasts 10 seconds.

Shield Glare is 12 second CD with 4 seconds of blind.

I think Glare is the better skill. Less down time with it, and it stops the enemies from hitting you which saves you more health than you would probably regen with Consecration. You can also rune Shield Glare to refill Wrath or get a 20% damage bonus.

Try it out for yourself in game and see how it works with your build.

Tendo

If I am farming bounties and horadric caches is there any reason to be on anything higher than normal other than increased gold and xp and blood shards?

Also - Do you ever get anything good with bloodshards? All I've gotten on my main is junk that I salvage.

Trickster

*sigh* Kinda knew that RoS wouldn't have very good longevity long before it came out. Didn't think it'd happen within a single week though. Poor item stat variety + lack of trading + smartloot + mystic = a game where your character get loot that is very good, very fast. And then, because there's no way to trade the stuff you find after you've reached that "easy to reach" point, where most legendaries you find are worse than what you already have, if just quickly find yourself without any good incentive to play.

I mean, what's there to play for, when the main end game feature of the expansion is just randomized dungeons that you farm for loot. The problem with that, being you don't really need new gear yourself. But at the same time, all the gear you do find is restricted to your account, and designed for the character you found the item on, who's already at the point where almost all gear drops aren't useful anymore...

Man, feels good to have my own build idea working out well in hardcore. I'm running a fire damage/skill/elite multiplier Seismic Slam/Avalanche Barb. Sheet dps of 500k, crit elites for 20 million. Aww yeah.

I call the build "Miami Heat".

DSmalls84

If I am farming bounties and horadric caches is there any reason to be on anything higher than normal other than increased gold and xp and blood shards?

Also - Do you ever get anything good with bloodshards? All I've gotten on my main is junk that I salvage.

Higher difficulty gives you a better legendary drop rate, but most of the time it is quicker to get caches in normal. Shards can get you Legendary Gear but apprently the chance is super low.

DSmalls84

*sigh* Kinda knew that RoS wouldn't have very good longevity long before it came out. Didn't think it'd happen within a single week though. Poor item stat variety + lack of trading + smartloot + mystic = a game where your character get loot that is very good, very fast. And then, because there's no way to trade the stuff you find after you've reached that "easy to reach" point, where most legendaries you find are worse than what you already have, if just quickly find yourself without any good incentive to play.

I mean, what's there to play for, when the main end game feature of the expansion is just randomized dungeons that you farm for loot. The problem with that, being you don't really need new gear yourself. But at the same time, all the gear you do find is restricted to your account, and designed for the character you found the item on, who's already at the point where almost all gear drops aren't useful anymore...

Definitely agree that Trading and PVP need to be added sooner rather than later. Until then it is gearing Multiple Characters/Grinding Paragon.

garath

Glad I was playing Torment yesterday. My very first set piece ever dropped.

VMmBM8p.jpg

Amazingly it dropped off a normal mob during a cursed chest event on a bounty. Crazy.

It was even an upgrade over my current boots. Works for me. Going to have to see if there's something worth rerolling on it. Maybe the armor.

Making progress. In game sheet dps shows just under 490k. Toughness 4mil. For someone that doesn't play THAT much, it's definitely progress.

Still searching for an elusive second 1h xbow with decent damage. I got all excited when a legendary one dropped but the base damage was pretty low and it would take a forgotten soul to reroll it in hopes of a socket. I think it'd be better just to wait out a rare one.

I had a decent 2400 dps one that I tried rerolling but my luck was poor and I spent 15 death breath and over 1 mil gold trying to get it. No luck lol. It's up to 160k for the next roll or something. Forget that.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/garath-1132/hero/40752152

I need new rings stat. And a new amulet eventually.

edit: and I can't decide what kind of gem to socket in my chest for the final slot. Leaning dex over resists. Things can't kill you if they're already dead right? lol

Tendo

Higher difficulty gives you a better legendary drop rate, but most of the time it is quicker to get cdaches in normal. Shards can get you Legendary Gear but apprently the chance is super low.

Will the game remember I got a cache in normal? What if I farm in normal, switch to a higher difficulty and then open the cache? I'm going to assume Blizz has thought of that.

DSmalls84

Will the game remember I got a cache in normal? What if I farm in normal, switch to a higher difficulty and then open the cache? I'm going to assume Blizz has thought of that.

Items stats are generated when they drop not when you id it. I'm not positive but I would guess caches work the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom