• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmalls84

It does stupid damage and with a cinder coat and some fire damage mods things melt in seconds. Especially with the passive that gives increased damage to enemies with over 75% health. When you see something, buff up with wolf and let it rip

Pretty sure I enchanted res on that exact piece. I think I coverages to it from a skill boost roll

Hmm the stat I was trying to replace was a skill boost as well. I will have to double check later but I didn't see the option for All Res to roll.

RDreamer

Got these last night:

B5NXiKc.jpg

isIMafP.jpg

Never used a Daibo with my monk, but the damage on this was much better than any fists I've found thus far. The pants seem like they'll be awesome when I get more of that set, too.

And I found these the other day and didn't show 'em off yet.
bLKKgop.jpg

tEtNd6v.jpg

Thundergod's great because my monk uses lightning res.

I feel like I'm going back and forth between my monk and DH because each one keeps finding good shit for the other one instead of for itself. Weird.

Also found this:

YXiAnf1.jpg

But I have no one to wear it. The crusader uses str as main stat right? Might start one, because I also have a justice lantern with 15% block.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've opened about 20-30 caches and no legendary drops yet. Is this abnormal?

How many caches do you guys go through before getting A legendary drop?

That does seem abnormal, yeah. 1 out of every 10 caches is probably about standard.

Firemind

So I was checking potential leg drops on the main site and... there is only one lvl. 70 crusader set while every other class has one lvl. 60 and TWO lvl. 70 sets?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Nymerio

So I was checking potential leg drops on the main site and... there is only one lvl. 70 crusader set while every other class has one lvl. 60 and TWO lvl. 70 sets?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Don't know why there's only one lvl 70 set but why would there be a level 60 set? You can't play the crusader without RoS anyway so a level 60 would be useless anyway

That does seem abnormal, yeah. 1 out of every 10 caches is probably about standard.

What?! Really? I didn't get one yet, but I still have almost a complete stash tab full of caches left. The problem is that a couple of them are from when I was power leveling a friend's crusader. I hope I still get at least something useful...

I got an item that says Grenades do +%damage on my DH. Does this mean only the basic skill grenades does extra damage or is it all skills that drop grenades have increased damage(like the grenades that cluster arrow drops for example)

GorillaJu

Got these last night:

B5NXiKc.jpg

isIMafP.jpg

Never used a Daibo with my monk, but the damage on this was much better than any fists I've found thus far. The pants seem like they'll be awesome when I get more of that set, too.

And I found these the other day and didn't show 'em off yet.
bLKKgop.jpg

tEtNd6v.jpg

Thundergod's great because my monk uses lightning res.

I feel like I'm going back and forth between my monk and DH because each one keeps finding good shit for the other one instead of for itself. Weird.

That is a godlike damage roll on your Daibo. Socket that sucker and you've got a real winner, though I'm not sure if Monks like to use 2h weapons.

If a 2900 DPS fate of the fell dropped I think it'd break Diablo 3.

That is a godlike damage roll on your Daibo. Socket that sucker and you've got a real winner, though I'm not sure if Monks like to use 2h weapons.

I would use that Daibo with a socket for Tempest Rush. It would be glorious haha.

RDreamer

You see, I'm fucking dumb and didn't check if I could put a socket there before already rerolling. I rerolled the level requirement thing that originally rolled on it into blind. Didn't even think about sockets until hours later. Fuck.

He already rerolled it to chance to blind on hit, so he can't socket it. It would also lose a significant amount of damage if he had rerolled the attack speed. The spirit regen might not be rerollable as it might be the "legendary affix" for that item.

Moff

over the last few days I opened 5x15 horadrim chests
once I had a leg in it, and it wasnt even for my class

I found surprisingly many under rocks though, and in a chest in westmarsh (not horadric) I had even 2 at the same time.

greenry

Finished up act 4 and got my Crusader to level 43. If I don't have a buddy to power level me, what's the fastest way to get up to 60? I kind of want to experience act 5 at 60.

GorillaJu

He already rerolled it to chance to blind on hit, so he can't socket it. It would also lose a significant amount of damage if he had rerolled the attack speed. The spirit regen might not be rerollable as it might be the "legendary affix" for that item.

He wouldn't lose that much dmg, it'd still be really high. 5% is the minimum IAS bonus.That initial dmg roll is insane.

I didnt see that he had already rerolled a secondary. Sad mistake unfortunately, but not missing out on too much I think because most monks gravitate toward two 1h.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So Sunday morning I decided to start my new crusader and play him in adventure mode for a while just to see what leveling a character there would be like, skipping story mode entirely. I only intended to play for an hour or so, just a few levels.

My crusader is now level 48.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mengy-1287/hero/43913254

Holy Balls is leveling in adventure mode fun! I must have done a dozen bounty / rift cycles. Started on normal but discovered how awesome crafting is now for leveling and gradually notched it all the way up to master. Found a legendary hammer with a socket that both increases blessed hammer damage and size, so I put an imperial marquise ruby in it (+190 weapon damage) and now I'm tearing shit up. Saved all the blood shards to gamble for new gear on my 70 wizard too.

Adventure mode is so much fun, I don't think I'll ever play the story mode again. And Act V was really good too. The rifts are what I really like though, so much diversity, huge monster density, and just general craziness.

I'm liking the crusader a lot so far too. He does well against large trash packs but hard single elites sometimes give me issues, and they can take a long time to kill too. Single target damage seems to be less than I would expect. One boss really gives me trouble with the crusader: Mathiel. I had three bounties that required me to kill him and eventually I got to the point where I dreaded it. He is just such a non-friendly melee boss, once I even had to notch the difficulty down just to beat him. I was never a huge fan of blessed hammer in D2 (I know most people loved it) but in D3 I'm really liking the skill. There are a lot of neat skills for the class so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm considering putting my wizard aside and focusing on the crusader, but I think I'll get him to 70 and compare them back to back before I really decide either way.

This game has me addicted, truly addicted, for the first time. It finally is feeling like a Diablo II sequel in that "I want to play it constantly" feeling.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You see, I'm fucking dumb and didn't check if I could put a socket there before already rerolling. I rerolled the level requirement thing that originally rolled on it into blind. Didn't even think about sockets until hours later. Fuck.

Yeah, I was gonna say, that was a... unwise enchanting choice.

Firemind

Don't know why there's only one lvl 70 set but why would there be a level 60 set? You can't play the crusader without RoS anyway so a level 60 would be useless anyway

You can get lvl. 60 items at lvl. 70. I can't think of any other reason than "shit, we have a deadline to meet. fuck the crusader. ship it!"

So you're competing with fresh characters in a limited timeframe to level, gear and get fast times. At the end of a season you hand out rewards like achievements, portraits, banner designs, transmog skins, etc. based on participation and ladder position. For example, the top X% would get some special stuff ala the titles and mounts handed out after WoW arena seasons.

As someone that can only play this game a little bit at night and more on weekends, this doesn't sound appealing at all. I'd never be in a position to compete or race for anything. But that's probably a ton of fun for people that engage in that stuff regularly.

which proc is better, mad monarch or thunderfury? I got both but mad monarch has higher DPS, and I would have to reroll it for a socket

I'm currently using Thunderfury and the proc is crazy good. It happens often and the dmg is awesome. I have another weapon with the same spec sheet DPS, but Thunderfury kills stuff so much faster. I can't really speak to Mad Monarch though. Haven't seen it drop yet :(

I have, however, dropped 3 pig stickers. WTF.

LCGeek

formerly sane
wonder if you could tell me how often Thundergod's procs because it seems like a great item for my melee wizard

Well with my wiz, I take that, hydra, blackhole, and sit on mobs and nearly kill them instantly with some of builds, this is for t1-normal.

Lightning is ungodly right now depending on the class.

Mobs will proc it a ton and then own themselves as you beat on them.

I'm in need of a "company wellness day" today. I'm feeling like diablo is the only cure to my ailment. Please understand my fine coworkers.

RDreamer

You've gotta be kidding me. Party hits the rift guardian and my game client crashes during teleporting to the fight. Goddammit.

Raytow

Can't believe there is an item set that makes fetishes summons stay until death, I want that badly, are there more items to make the WD create a small army?

LCGeek

formerly sane
I've fantasized about that since the necromancer skeleton army in D2.

Someone in gaf had a setup that abused the glory globes in a similar fashion. You can spawn tons of them if that's your worry. Unsure if it's exactly like D2 but I've seen nasty swarms of dozens of them be it gaf or public on the wd who have a game plan to bring massive amounts of pain.

Tokubetsu

Finally sat down and got my DH alt up to 70. I'm not totally geared yet but are DH's supposed to be this squishy? I'm doing so much to live here where as I was basically face tanking or straight out destroying everything when my wizard was around the same level gear wise.

I shouldn't be getting legendary "crusader shields" on my wizard. Ever. Smart loot my ass. Just drop me a forgotten soul and save me the time.

Stupid horadric caches :(

Ohnonono

It is truly a blessed world when I have to chose between my awesomely rolled Scourge or awesomely rolled Skywarden. Holy Cause makes the hammer win out but damn game needs to give me a legendary amulet or somethin.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
*sigh* Kinda knew that RoS wouldn't have very good longevity long before it came out. Didn't think it'd happen within a single week though. Poor item stat variety + lack of trading + smartloot + mystic = a game where your character get loot that is very good, very fast. And then, because there's no way to trade the stuff you find after you've reached that "easy to reach" point, where most legendaries you find are worse than what you already have, if just quickly find yourself without any good incentive to play.

I mean, what's there to play for, when the main end game feature of the expansion is just randomized dungeons that you farm for loot. The problem with that, being you don't really need new gear yourself. But at the same time, all the gear you do find is restricted to your account, and designed for the character you found the item on, who's already at the point where almost all gear drops aren't useful anymore...

Try playing Hardcore.

The thing I notice playing on non-hardcore is that there's no character regression - Once you get excellent gear, you'll always have it. One you level a character, it'll always be levelled. And in the era of smart loot and loot 2.0, your character will get great class-specific gear sooner or later.

In Hardcore mode, if you die, you lose your character. You lose your equipped gear. You lose your inventory. In other words, there's consequences. You can move forward, and you can move backwards. I had a pretty awesome barbarian reach about level 56 before I lost everything, pre-RoS but during 2.0. I forget what it's called, but it had a legendary which caused exploding arcane damage on melee hits. Just insane DPS, and I fucked it up and died.

Anoregon

Can't believe there is an item set that makes fetishes summons stay until death, I want that badly, are there more items to make the WD create a small army?

More items? MORE ITEMS? Starmetal Kukri, son.

Secondary
Reduce the cooldown of Fetish Army and Big Bad Voodoo by 1 second each time your fetishes deal damage.

scy

I shouldn't be getting legendary "crusader shields" on my wizard. Ever. Smart loot my ass. Just drop me a forgotten soul and save me the time.

Stupid horadric caches :(

Smart loot has an intended amount of "drops stuff for other classes" in there so you can still get loot for other characters.

It is truly a blessed world when I have to chose between my awesomely rolled Scourge or awesomely rolled Skywarden. Holy Cause makes the hammer win out but damn game needs to give me a legendary amulet or somethin.

Worth noting that the passive on Skywarden seems bugged as far as I can tell. Or maybe it just doesn't play nice with having an actual Law running.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Alright so with 810k dps and 7.2mil thoughness I am breezing through T1 rifts on my Crusader.

Well breezing through everything unless the rift guardian is the cheap knock off ghom.

Those fart clouds everywhere wreck me so hard.

I think I've got a good handle on my Crusaders build, I decided blessed hammers weren't very good for a few reasons.

1) They're kind of a crapshoot to hit, some times they wont land on what you want them to
2) You are completely immobile while using them, you can't poop one out and be on the run unless you use the dominion rune which is a rather mid tier rune.
3)The same hammer doesn't seem to be able to hit the same target multiple times, I tested this roughly by kiting a mob through one hammer and I only saw damage numbers pop up once. But that could be a hit box issue on the hammer, even then though I don't like it.

So with that in mind I decided to explore other options and similarly to before I finally settled on Sweep Attack with holy shock because it's actually semi decent healing bonus, I would rather use the fire rune but it's still broken :\

Anyways the build is rather block and crit heavy but you also need a good base of attack speed because it scales really well with your wrath generation especially with a two hander of slowness, so my suggestion is dump paragon points into attack speed, gear for crit.

So yeah

LMB - Punish - Roar - This gives you a really good chance for AoE damage, pair this with some minor Area Damage and you've got a lot of reliable strong damage that's almost passive, Punish itself does pretty good damage too.

RMB - Sweep Attack - Holy shock - I haven't' really settled on a rune for this yet, I am constantly in flux between Holy sock and gathering sweep, the pulls enemies to you effect is really good because it sort of lifts them off the ground which gives a bit of additional damage mitigation. However Holy shock is a GOOD AMOUNT of LoH, in big packs and multi elite pulls it easily gives back 100k hp per sweep.

1 - Laws of Valor - Critical - This is the core of the burst damage in the build. 100% Crit damage on demand for 4 seconds gives you a window just big enough to use all your other skills and then dump sweep attacks for insane elite killing, pack clearing, t1 rift stomping damage.

2 - Shield Glare - Divine Verdict - The basic idea with all my other skills besides the mount button ones is that they're cool downs that work off each other, I typically try and trigger them together, that being said Shield Glare with the 20% damage to targets blinded is perfect, it's not only damage mitigation but it's also control, you can use this to set the enemies up for absolute destruction with your other skills.

3 - Heaven's Fury - Blessed Ground - This rune will really shine when you've got critical up but otherwise it does fantastic supplementary damage, the burning ground effect is more versatile in big packs than any of the other rune effects if you ask me. Ascendancy is only useful against a single target, and the 3 beams called down is a bit unpredictable, mean while this solo beam will either just sit on the elite and burn everyone around him (as well as the elite) or travel around spreading its flames and killing things too.

4 - Condemn - Shattering explosion - While there are other better runes, the increased radius of Shattering explosion is enough to make me ignore superior effects because you can do so much more with a bigger radius on Condemn. You can catch more enemies in it, you can play with your distance a bit more, and you can even catch enemies on the run. If you absolutely don't think this is a very good rune then I would take vacuum instead, if not then the one that increases damage based on damage taken during charge up.

Passives: Since Holy Strength is basically required unless you've been graced with an incredible 1 handed weapon, the 3 passives I use are:

Finery: My gear has a lot of sockets and this works well with that

Renewal: High block chance means this has great synergy with that and punish - roar. Every time it blocks and you deal damage you also heal yourself. It's a pretty good amount I believe at 70 it's 12k or so per block?

Hold Your Ground: More block is great!

Gearing tips:

Like I said before this build is crit heavy and block heavy, I personally run with 44% crit and ~50% block. Attack speed is pretty important as well because it is your only real method of Wrath generation, wrath generation might feel slow but basically it should be maxed by the time at least one of your cool downs is up.

Gameplay style:

Whenever you can BLOW ALL YOUR COOL DOWNS TOGETHER! I made this build around popping all 4 abilities together, so every 12ish seconds you'll do some high burst damage. That being said don't hesitate to use your cool downs as they come up, they'll help a lot. I generally only save Law of Valor for a special situation, everything else I just dump as soon as it comes off cool down.

Paragon point usage:

Strength
Attack Speed
Resist All
Resource Cost Reduction

The reason I go for attack speed here is because it seems to eek out more performance per paragon point spent than crit chance or crit damage. It helps with wrath generation enough and it also helps with dumping everything in the 4 seconds of murder when your 100% crit dam buff is up. Resource cost reduction is a weird choice and I'm not entirely too sure I am pleased with it since I don't typically gear for RCR but I like how it feels so far. Especially since I don't run any additional wrath generation passives.

Can't you salvage it for the forgotten soul anyway? Or does it not work like that

You can. Just sucks to see a potential wizard legendary drop wasted on a class I do not even have a character created for. I have a monk and DH but I'm not sure I'll ever play them again. It's all I can do to focus on 1 character.

Smart loot has an intended amount of "drops stuff for other classes" in there so you can still get loot for other characters.

Well that makes sense. Barbarian belts be everywhere.

Strider

I can't play any other class besides monk until I get the Thunderfury.

I can't risk going over to my lvl 60 Wiz and getting the TF drop on him. Nope. Not happening.

Settin

Finally sat down and got my DH alt up to 70. I'm not totally geared yet but are DH's supposed to be this squishy? I'm doing so much to live here where as I was basically face tanking or straight out destroying everything when my wizard was around the same level gear wise.

Being handed 600 or so resist all from your int makes a huge difference for the wizard.

scy

LMB - Punish - Roar - This gives you a really good chance for AoE damage, pair this with some minor Area Damage and you've got a lot of reliable strong damage that's almost passive, Punish itself does pretty good damage too.

Just to note, Area Damage% is an add-on damage, not something that boosts skills that do AoE Damage. Having X% Area Damage means you have a 20% to deal (AttackDamage * X%) to a 10 yard radius from the target.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Just to note, Area Damage% is an add-on damage, not something that boosts skills that do AoE Damage. Having X% Area Damage means you have a 20% to deal (AttackDamage * X%) to a 10 yard radius from the target.

Naw I'm aware, but punish roar procs area damage insanely often.

Bradach

I think I've got a good handle on my Crusaders build, I decided blessed hammers weren't very good for a few reasons.
/Snip/
Thanks for those tips. I've been slowly coming to the same conclusions as yourself and play my crusader in a similar way. i'll go through your build in detail later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom