• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mileS

So the item for reaper's wraps only drops off mathiel? How annoying. It still drops in normal difficulty right? I may just spam that to try and get the piece tonight.

There was a blue post saying the drop rate is bugged and they plan to fix it soon. Basically. If you don't get it the first time you kill him on a new character, you won't get it.

This is coming from someone who killed him on 4 different characters, and then farmed him for about 5 hours straight.

Ohnonono

Smart loot has an intended amount of "drops stuff for other classes" in there so you can still get loot for other characters.

Worth noting that the passive on Skywarden seems bugged as far as I can tell. Or maybe it just doesn't play nice with having an actual Law running.

I think it can totally roll the same law you have going. I have seen it work for sure but it does not seem as reliable as it sounds in the item description. If it is bugged I hope they fix it because running around without a law should pretty much seal the test on that one.

Ohnonono

Alright so with 810k dps and 7.2mil thoughness I am breezing through T1 rifts on my Crusader.

Well breezing through everything unless the rift guardian is the cheap knock off ghom.

Those fart clouds everywhere wreck me so hard.

I think I've got a good handle on my Crusaders build, I decided blessed hammers weren't very good for a few reasons.

1) They're kind of a crapshoot to hit, some times they wont land on what you want them to
2) You are completely immobile while using them, you can't poop one out and be on the run unless you use the dominion rune which is a rather mid tier rune.
3)The same hammer doesn't seem to be able to hit the same target multiple times, I tested this roughly by kiting a mob through one hammer and I only saw damage numbers pop up once. But that could be a hit box issue on the hammer, even then though I don't like it.

So with that in mind I decided to explore other options and similarly to before I finally settled on Sweep Attack with holy shock because it's actually semi decent healing bonus, I would rather use the fire rune but it's still broken :\

Anyways the build is rather block and crit heavy but you also need a good base of attack speed because it scales really well with your wrath generation especially with a two hander of slowness, so my suggestion is dump paragon points into attack speed, gear for crit.

So yeah

LMB - Punish - Roar - This gives you a really good chance for AoE damage, pair this with some minor Area Damage and you've got a lot of reliable strong damage that's almost passive, Punish itself does pretty good damage too.

RMB - Sweep Attack - Holy shock - I haven't' really settled on a rune for this yet, I am constantly in flux between Holy sock and gathering sweep, the pulls enemies to you effect is really good because it sort of lifts them off the ground which gives a bit of additional damage mitigation. However Holy shock is a GOOD AMOUNT of LoH, in big packs and multi elite pulls it easily gives back 100k hp per sweep.

1 - Laws of Valor - Critical - This is the core of the burst damage in the build. 100% Crit damage on demand for 4 seconds gives you a window just big enough to use all your other skills and then dump sweep attacks for insane elite killing, pack clearing, t1 rift stomping damage.

2 - Shield Glare - Divine Verdict - The basic idea with all my other skills besides the mount button ones is that they're cool downs that work off each other, I typically try and trigger them together, that being said Shield Glare with the 20% damage to targets blinded is perfect, it's not only damage mitigation but it's also control, you can use this to set the enemies up for absolute destruction with your other skills.

3 - Heaven's Fury - Blessed Ground - This rune will really shine when you've got critical up but otherwise it does fantastic supplementary damage, the burning ground effect is more versatile in big packs than any of the other rune effects if you ask me. Ascendancy is only useful against a single target, and the 3 beams called down is a bit unpredictable, mean while this solo beam will either just sit on the elite and burn everyone around him (as well as the elite) or travel around spreading its flames and killing things too.

4 - Condemn - Shattering explosion - While there are other better runes, the increased radius of Shattering explosion is enough to make me ignore superior effects because you can do so much more with a bigger radius on Condemn. You can catch more enemies in it, you can play with your distance a bit more, and you can even catch enemies on the run. If you absolutely don't think this is a very good rune then I would take vacuum instead, if not then the one that increases damage based on damage taken during charge up.

Passives: Since Holy Strength is basically required unless you've been graced with an incredible 1 handed weapon, the 3 passives I use are:

Finery: My gear has a lot of sockets and this works well with that

Renewal: High block chance means this has great synergy with that and punish - roar. Every time it blocks and you deal damage you also heal yourself. It's a pretty good amount I believe at 70 it's 12k or so per block?

Hold Your Ground: More block is great!

Gearing tips:

Like I said before this build is crit heavy and block heavy, I personally run with 44% crit and ~50% block. Attack speed is pretty important as well because it is your only real method of Wrath generation, wrath generation might feel slow but basically it should be maxed by the time at least one of your cool downs is up.

Gameplay style:

Whenever you can BLOW ALL YOUR COOL DOWNS TOGETHER! I made this build around popping all 4 abilities together, so every 12ish seconds you'll do some high burst damage. That being said don't hesitate to use your cool downs as they come up, they'll help a lot. I generally only save Law of Valor for a special situation, everything else I just dump as soon as it comes off cool down.

Paragon point usage:

Strength
Attack Speed
Resist All
Resource Cost Reduction

The reason I go for attack speed here is because it seems to eek out more performance per paragon point spent than crit chance or crit damage. It helps with wrath generation enough and it also helps with dumping everything in the 4 seconds of murder when your 100% crit dam buff is up. Resource cost reduction is a weird choice and I'm not entirely too sure I am pleased with it since I don't typically gear for RCR but I like how it feels so far. Especially since I don't run any additional wrath generation passives.

You have an assload of DPS and toughness. I would think t2 and maybe 3 might be a breeze. T1 is easy for me and my sheet DPS is way lower than yours and toughness as well. I stack holy damage and stuff so that does not show but 800k damage is real high.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You have an assload of DPS and toughness. I would think t2 and maybe 3 might be a breeze. T1 is easy for me and my sheet DPS is way lower than yours and toughness as well. I stack holy damage and stuff so that does not show but 800k damage is real high.

I can go up to T3 but for efficiency's sake I stick to T1.

scy

Thanks for those tips. I've been slowly coming to the same conclusions as yourself and play my crusader in a similar way. i'll go through your build in detail later.

Honestly, I feel like most builds for Crusaders will trend towards not relying on Valor + Judgement rotations unless you have the CDR to always have it up between pulls. Given a better way to dump Wrath outside of FoH, I can see going to a more ranged Smite/Justice build with FoH back to the cooldown runes but it's just hard to give up FoH's burst damage that doesn't interfere with attack animations as often as the other skills (/why do the other wrath dumps suck).

For comparison's sake, my build when soloing. ~1M Damage 8.5M Toughness, T1/T2 for the sake of clear speed. T2-T4 depending on group make-up for rifts with me usually tanking it.

I think it can totally roll the same law you have going. I have seen it work for sure but it does not seem as reliable as it sounds in the item description. If it is bugged I hope they fix it because running around without a law should pretty much seal the test on that one.

Yeah, it looks like it can double roll the Law which really sucks for it and it also seems like the timer for it resets way too often. Honestly, it's probably best just used when soloing and thrown on the Enchantress.

I really wish your profile on Battle.net would reflect rerolled stats.

Getting a passive that decreases damage received for being stationary and increasing your damage helps.

My wizard can just stand in the middle of an elite pack most of the time and survive so long as I'm spamming attacks and getting life on hit (Torment 1). Unwavering Will is awesome. And even though Blur is a really boring passive, it's pretty much on every wizard I see because 17% reduced dmg is.... pretty good.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Can't post here... too busy playing.

On behalf of all of us currently at work on a Monday after a weekend Diablofest:

6ovi8N4.gif

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Honestly, I feel like most builds for Crusaders will trend towards not relying on Valor + Judgement rotations unless you have the CDR to always have it up between pulls. Given a better way to dump Wrath outside of FoH, I can see going to a more ranged Smite/Justice build with FoH back to the cooldown runes but it's just hard to give up FoH's burst damage that doesn't interfere with attack animations as often as the other skills (/why do the other wrath dumps suck).

I don't like relying on Judgment with 80% crit on it but the 100% crit damage effect on valor works insanely well with other effects, especially with decent crit chance on your actual gear. FoH is easily the best wrath dump but unless you have a flail with additional wrath generation and a lot of wrath effects it is hard as hell to maintain consistent use of it. I'd wager that you could probably get 3 out every 12 seconds with non specific gear for it? Also it has no other potential effects besides big damage and it has an extremely narrow attack animation which makes it kind of awful for clearing out a lot of enemies. I've also never been a huge fan of Akarat Champion style cool downs, big pay off every 90 seconds? I didn't like that on Archon or Wrath of the berserker, this one is no different, but I'm not denying it's a good skill I just don't personally like it.

scy

On the subject of Crusaders, does anyone have experience with Smite and the Armor of the Kind Regent Legendary? It says it casts Smite at an additional target but I did a few runs with it on to test it and I can't tell if it's working. Like, in theory it should double the Smite damage as long as there's 2+ targets nearby but didn't seem to be working? I dunno. Probably going to give it some more tests for the sake of it.

I don't like relying on Judgment with 80% crit on it but the 100% crit damage effect on valor works insanely well with other effects, especially with decent crit chance on your actual gear. FoH is easily the best wrath dump but unless you have a flail with additional wrath generation and a lot of wrath effects it is hard as hell to maintain consistent use of it. I'd wager that you could probably get 3 out every 12 seconds with non specific gear for it? Also it has no other potential effects besides big damage and it has an extremely narrow attack animation which makes it kind of awful for clearing out a lot of enemies. I've also never been a huge fan of Akarat Champion style cool downs, big pay off every 90 seconds? I didn't like that on Archon or Wrath of the berserker, this one is no different, but I'm not denying it's a good skill I just don't personally like it.

Akarat benefits fairly well with CDR so the downtime of it is around ~30s after activation. It's mostly there for group play where it effectively doubles my Health pool due to the revive. I like having the one big fuck you cooldown around and between it and Bombardment, it's pretty much just AC for the choice. If the Wrath dumps get better, it'd probably be Heaven's Fury here again and I'd gear towards ~33% CDR.

As for FoH, it's fairly easy to have full Wrath to dump and then Shield Glare it back up so it's closer to 6 shots before needing to manually refill it. A full Wrath dump between it and Condemn is around ~80M damage with my gear so it's usually a case of not needing much besides them. Most the bonus effects from the other Wrath dumps are fairly bad so it's not like I'm giving up any utility on the skill slot.

joesmokey

I got the plans for the Sage's Journey set to drop. Two piece bonus is +250 primary stat with the three piece bonus being an extra death's breath drop.

Sounds pretty interesting, right? Each set piece requires a different flawless royal gem to craft! Yeah, no thanks.

DSmalls84

On the subject of Crusaders, does anyone have experience with Smite and the Armor of the Kind Regent Legendary? It says it casts Smite at an additional target but I did a few runs with it on to test it and I can't tell if it's working. Like, in theory it should double the Smite damage as long as there's 2+ targets nearby but didn't seem to be working? I dunno. Probably going to give it some more tests for the sake of it.

Akkarat benefits fairly well with CDR so the downtime of it is around ~30s after activation. It's mostly there for group play where it effectively doubles my Health pool due to the revive.

As for FoH, it's fairly easy to have full Wrath to dump and then Shield Glare it back up. A full Wrath dump between it and Condemn is around ~80M damage with my gear so it's usually a case of not needing much besides them. Most the bonus effects from the other Wrath dumps are fairly bad so it's not like I'm giving up any utility on the skill slot.

What rune do you use for FoH? I was trying to find a way to use that skill.

I tried this as well and couldn't really tell if it was working. I don't regularly use Smite though.

I really wish your profile on Battle.net would reflect rerolled stats.

My wizard can just stand in the middle of an elite pack most of the time and survive so long as I'm spamming attacks and getting life on hit (Torment 1). Unwavering Will is awesome. And even though Blur is a really boring passive, it's pretty much on every wizard I see because 17% reduced dmg is.... pretty good.

Couldn't you just switch out for Dominance and equip Force/Energy Armor? The former gives you a snazzy looking shield and the latter nullfies damage to a great degree.

scy

What rune do you use for FoH? I was trying to find a way to use that skill.

Just to clarify, I mean Heaven's Fury with Fires of Heaven. Fist of the Heavens I haven't found to be all the impressive / only has one Holy option.

On that note, Crusader skills are awkward for Elemental builds. None of the Punish options are Holy Damage and then many skills are stacked with multiples of the same Element (e.g., Fist's 4 Lightning options) anyway. :(

nothing

Dinged 70. Have only ~185K DPS though, since pretty much nothing dropped for me from 65-70. So I can't really do much, yet. I survive Rift runs on Hard, but it's pretty dicey.

Anyone know of any strong WD builds? I'm running something just for fun now, that I suspect isn't even close to optimized.

most people run fetish build, but i never really enjoyed that. this is what i used when leveling to 70 and i also posted what i use currently which has been way too much fun. T1 and T2 have given me no problems as of yet.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gRUeij!YfT!ZacZZZ

SB, SW, and Mass confusion will trigger rush of essence to keep your mana up. Acid Cloud is your primary DPS. Hex keeps any mobs on you off of you and it also works on elites giving you a 20% damage boost to nuke them down quickly. I open up on a large group of mobs with mass confusion so I can summon 3 dogs. The dogs are what will be tanking and keeping most enemies off of my while i cast away. I do MC because it keeps a slot available for Hex, plus mass confusion works on elites which helps as well.

My 70 spec is tweaked only a little bit.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gfUedl!YfTc!ZccZcb

I have enough mana regen where bears is now an option. I swapped hex for soul harvest for the instant dmg + int boost which brings my dps to 750k at 5 stacks. I changed mass confusion with piranhado for the pull in which makes mass mob farming easy and the damage buff is ace. The 16 cool down is almost nonexistent due to Grave Injustice eliminating cool downs by 1sec per enemy dying.

Sounds pretty interesting, right? Each set piece requires a different flawless royal gem to craft! Yeah, no thanks.

AND a legendary mat that can take hours to just get 1. Knowing how crappy the stats can be, I'd probably prepare to craft 10 at a time. Yeah. No thanks indeed.

I thought forgotten souls might be my bottleneck but I'm actually sitting on 24 of them and I don't know what to do with them.

Couldn't you just switch out for Dominance and equip Force/Energy Armor? The former gives you a snazzy looking shield and the latter nullfies damage to a great degree.

I use energy armor but not force armor. I feel like if I'm going to use anything other than energy tap, I also have to use Astral Presence for the extra arcane.

Dominance sounds good when fighting trash mobs but would be not so useful against a pack of elites or bosses. That's the only time I ever have trouble. And usually only when I'm against bullshit unavoidable combos like vortex\jailer + frozen.

DSmalls84

Just to clarify, I mean Heaven's Fury with Fires of Heaven. Fist of the Heavens I haven't found to be all the impressive / only has one Holy option.

On that note, Crusader skills are awkward for Elemental builds. None of the Punish options are Holy Damage and then many skills are stacked with multiples of the same Element (e.g., Fist's 4 Lightning options) anyway. :(

Awh thought you were talking about Fist of the Heavens. Always thought that was a pretty cool skill but couldn't find a use because of the wrath cost.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Akarat benefits fairly well with CDR so the downtime of it is around ~30s after activation. It's mostly there for group play where it effectively doubles my Health pool due to the revive. I like having the one big fuck you cooldown around and between it and Bombardment, it's pretty much just AC for the choice. If the Wrath dumps get better, it'd probably be Heaven's Fury here again and I'd gear towards ~33% CDR.

As for FoH, it's fairly easy to have full Wrath to dump and then Shield Glare it back up so it's closer to 6 shots before needing to manually refill it. A full Wrath dump between it and Condemn is around ~80M damage with my gear so it's usually a case of not needing much besides them. Most the bonus effects from the other Wrath dumps are fairly bad so it's not like I'm giving up any utility on the skill slot.

Yeah that's true, AC does build off CDR better than other abilities because of it's innate long as shit cool down lmao. Yeah it has a lot of value, a lot of my earlier builds when I was in worse gear revolved around Rally + Bombardment and hammer spam to reset the cool down on bombardment faster, but I just didn't really dig that style.

If you ask my the biggest weakness of the Crusader class is how wet noodly a lot of our wrath dumps seem to be. Very few of them are very good so that's why a lot of people feel like they have to resort to FoH to turn it into a useful one. Something I honestly agree with, I was toying around with other substitute wrath dump abilities, I even gave Phalanx - Stampede a shot. It was actually really good! A lot of control semi decent damage and really good range as well as a broad attack width. However it had one, dreadful drawback. It scattered enemies everywhere...

The main reason I like sweep is because I can use it a good bit, 2 sweeps are almost as good as 1 FoH, 2 sweeps = 800% damage vs 1 FoH = 985%, but the potential flexibility makes me feel like it's worth it.

Then again I am 99% sure that I'll end up switching back to FoH in a second if I get the legendary flail that gives it 2 additional beams. Because holy shit that's really good.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
i think the RNG gods want me to rot in hell. 500 rift shards and spending dozen of hours doing act 2 normal split for glove of worship...no luck. I'm really losing my sanity

scy

Awh thought you were talking about Fist of the Heavens. Always thought that was a pretty cool skill but couldn't find a use because of the wrath cost.

Yeah, my bad. Fist is neat but I just can't figure out a way to utilize it due to how weak it feels. The Wrath cost, for me, isn't that big of a deal since I generate so much of it in actual fights.

The main reason I like sweep is because I can use it a good bit, 2 sweeps are almost as good as 1 FoH, 2 sweeps = 800% damage vs 1 FoH = 985%, but the potential flexibility makes me feel like it's worth it.

Maybe when soloing I'll give going back to Sweep / Heaven's Fury setup but I liked FoH because my normal rifting group kills so fast that I'd rather just dump my Wrath as quickly as possible. That and Holy Shock is, for some reason, Physical damage still.

i think the RNG gods want me to rot in hell. 500 rift shards and spending dozen of hours doing act 2 normal split for glove of worship...no luck. I'm really losing my sanity

Nearly 8000 shards have gambled me zero Legendaries ;__;

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Maybe when soloing I'll give going back to Sweep / Heaven's Fury setup but I liked FoH because my normal rifting group kills so fast that I'd rather just dump my Wrath as quickly as possible. That and Holy Shock is, for some reason, Physical damage still.

Yeahhhh Sweep needs a holy damage rune asap. I use the gathering sweep rune for when I do group stuff. My friends play wizards so me pinning stuff away from them just helps them dump orbs without a care in the world :p

Give it a shot though, especially if you're running high block!

Tell me what you think.

jkanownik

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12089209247

Under this condition, all 432 legendaries have an equal chance of dropping. The probability of finding a specific item looks as follows:

http://imgur.com/MrIKPXp

The 50% point is at 223 hours; the 75% point is at 447 hours; and the 90% point is at a whopping 742 hours. That means if these drop rules apply, there are some unlucky individuals who will invest over 1,000 hours in Diablo 3 and not see an item that they'd really like to drop.

I'm not part of the clan, but I played with someone from GAF today doing public adventure mode on normal! Verfallen (playing a monk) left quickly once all the bounties were done - before we talked to Tyrael!!! :D

Grampasso

Mmmh all my recent drops on DH brought really down my CC so now I only have +4.5% and I'm using the DH passive to outdo that. Should I reroll everything to CC? Right now due to the frequent changes to my equipment I'm trying various skill combos but nothing seems to work efficiently.
This is my equip, any tips would be appreciated (yes, I need to regem :p)
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Link-2866/hero/102681

Crisco

Banned
Man, some of the Act V encounters seem way overtuned. I started out at Torment 2 and gradually had to keep dropping it as I went on until dropping it to Expert to finally beat Mal. I guess that was by design since the balance at level 70 is totally different than 60, but it was still kind of annoying to be cruising along and then get slapped with a boss fight with seemingly impossible HP and damage output. I'm stubborn too so I died a lot before deciding to drop difficulty.

joesmokey

I thought I'd try my hand at torment VI with ~1m dps and 10m toughness and the results were a spectacular fail. I went to Fields of Misery and the first thing I came across was an elite bison pack. One charge took 99% of my health pool (thanks diamond skin proc) and the next attack finished me off.

Not quite ready for that yet...

RS4-

I thought I'd try my hand at torment VI with ~1m dps and 10m toughness and the results were a spectacular fail. I went to Fields of Misery and the first thing I came across was an elite bison pack. One charge took 99% of my health pool (thanks diamond skin proc) and the next attack finished me off.

Not quite ready for that yet...

Even t3 is a problem with those kind of stats. Well, more like a challenge.

DSmalls84

Yeah, my bad. Fist is neat but I just can't figure out a way to utilize it due to how weak it feels. The Wrath cost, for me, isn't that big of a deal since I generate so much of it in actual fights.

Nearly 8000 shards have gambled me zero Legendaries ;__;

The wrath cost itself isn't really too high. I was talking more about the wrath to damage ratio. Feels underpowered for a big spender.

scy

Yeahhhh Sweep needs a holy damage rune asap. I use the gathering sweep rune for when I do group stuff. My friends play wizards so me pinning stuff away from them just helps them dump orbs without a care in the world :p

Give it a shot though, especially if you're running high block!

Tell me what you think.

My old setup was Punish / Sweet / HF :x It was just too slow for our rift runs / we almost always had a Monk on so I wanted a better DPS + Tank spec so I did the current one. Plus, it lets me use Answered Prayer for group play with the 100% uptime 3x Nephalem Glory stacks.

The wrath cost itself isn't reall too high. I was talking more about the wrath to damage ratio. Feels underpowered for a big spender.

Oh yeah, definitely. There really needs to be some tweak to the Generators / Spenders numbers. There's just very few that are really good.

LCGeek

formerly sane
lNS2pyP.png

What should I sacrifice for a socket on this weapon? I was leaning towards Attack Speed at first since I'm running a Frozen Orb build but thinking on it further, it seems like re-rolling the Cold skill damage affix would make more sense as that would make the weapon more useful for more skill builds. Any thoughts?

I did the socket as it happens to be my main weapon for the moment. Add socket with the crit you can get cold damage on other parts of your equipment easy.

Joe Molotov

Do caches count when you get them or when you open them? If I save all the caches I get while leveling till I'm 70, am I gonna end up with a bunch of Lv 50 gear?

I don't believe this is true. Arcane weapon / electrocute applies 2 elements straight away. Assuming you have Familiar Sparkflint there's your 3rd with fire. Round it out with Frozen Orb for frost and you're set.
Huh, interesting that it specifically works contrary to every other elemental weapon / skill interaction. Thanks for verifying!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Do caches count when you get them or when you open them? If I save all the caches I get while leveling till I'm 70, am I gonna end up with a bunch of Lv 50 gear?

As far as I know, caches work like this

They have a hidden level on them, but roll when and where you open them.

So if you get a cache at level 30 but you open it in t6 at 70, you'll get the t6 amount of loot but it will all be 30.

They don't scale, so it's when you get them.

As far as I know, caches work like this

They have a hidden level on them, but roll when and where you open them.

So if you get a cache at level 30 but you open it in t6 at 70, you'll get the t6 amount of loot but it will all be 30.

I did not know this, cool.

Kssio_Aug

Today someone from GAFMAX powered my Monk to level 42-61 at something like 20min in adventure mode! It was a BIG help! Much appreciated! :))
I want to put every class at level 70 and define my next char to upgrade. Loving my Wizard but sometimes I want to play as a different char! Atm I have a level 70 Wiz, a level 62 WD, level 61 Monk, level 60 Barb, level 27 DH, and a very low level Crusader. However, after my Monk the next one will be that Crusader!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom