• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

As a heads up if any of you have Cox for your internet, don't expect to play today. Looks like they're having their bimontly connection issues with battle.net. The ones cox claims aren't their fault yet only their customers are having connection issues.

Fuck cox -_-

I have cox at work and I have noticed issues getting to battle.net today. I have cox at home too :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The site doesn't show re-rolled affixes but anyone have any suggestions for my Witch Docter in terms what slots I should be going for when spending my blood shards?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/KarmaCow-1953/hero/40572598

I've been mostly relying on hand me downs from my Wizard, so I'm missing out on some bonuses to skills.

Gloves for Magefist could be a good choice for any firebat-centric WD build.

Question: so rifts and crap When you finish them you get items and that purple currency. The currency is spent at that Npc for random items. Could you get legendaries from him? Next question is sometimes while doing these rifts I get an item I right click. I guess the stash. How are these acquired? I just randomly see them in my inventory.

You can get legendaries from Kadala, but the drop rate is quite low. It's all you can do with blood shards though, so you might as well keep plugging away.
The Horadric Cache is from bounties, not rifts. If you get them while in a rift, it means someone else in your game completed an act of bounties.

Takuan

My buddy told me about the Adventure mode farming and said it's prolific to the point where it's an unspoken word that everyone goes about doing this automatically in public games. I did a few runs yesterday and it was alright, but I'm not strong enough to really power through fast. There was one encounter where two guys were happy to leech drops from boss encounters, which kind of sucked but wasn't a big deal since we detected it early on and just left the game.

I hit 70 on my Crusader finally. For equipment upgrades, I've basically been ignoring rares that only have 5 stats even if they yield bonuses. I figure I'm better off keeping rares with 6 stats, so I can replace one via enchanting for maximum benefit. Naturally, upgrades have been slow (though I've only done the "team" runs twice). Link to my profile:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Derelicte-1547/hero/43569823

I've essentially been looking for Str, Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Cost Reduction, AS and +% Damage (either a skill I use or damage type). I've died a few times in full games on Normal difficulty due to poor positioning and lack of an escape clause (I only recently swapped in Falling Sword in favor of Bombardment). Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Edit: Just realized I don't need to be running Insurmountable right now. Will fix this tonight.

The problem with doing this for loot is that the caches can ONLY give their specific act-separated, cache-specific legendaries. You will never get a Kridershot or a Thunderfury out of a bounty cache, for example.

But couldn't you get one of those from the elites/bosses you defeat while doing the bounties, or does the loot that drops in Adventure mode differ from Campaign?

Filth

Gloves for Magefist could be a good choice for any firebat-centric WD build.

You can get legendaries from Kadala, but the drop rate is quite low. It's all you can do with blood shards though, so you might as well keep plugging away.
The Horadric Cache is from bounties, not rifts. If you get them while in a rift, it means someone else in your game completed an act of bounties.

I see friends of mine getting legendaries every 5-10 minutes. When I'm in a rift it's like 1 per run if I'm lucky. Am I just unlucky? Or am I doing something wrong.

As a heads up if any of you have Cox for your internet, don't expect to play today. Looks like they're having their bimontly connection issues with battle.net. The ones cox claims aren't their fault yet only their customers are having connection issues.

Fuck cox -_-

so we can't blame blizzard this time? lulz.

jrcbandit

I see friends of mine getting legendaries every 5-10 minutes. When I'm in a rift it's like 1 per run if I'm lucky. Am I just unlucky? Or am I doing something wrong.

Your friends are either really lucky or they save up a ton of caches and only open a few at a time :p. I played a lot yesterday and only got 1 usable legendary and a couple I salvaged.... Perhaps they were also crafting?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
As far as I'm aware, caches can drop regular Legendaries as well.

Yeah but I think the difference in drop chance between cache specific legendaries (like the set requirement reduce ring) and actual legendaries is pretty big. In my experience cache specific legendaries seem to have a 1 in 15 boxes chance to drop, I've never even seen a regular from them.

scy

Think the Bounty Legendaries just have a higher drop chance in general. I dunno, I haven't tracked any stats out of laziness.

Yeah but I think the difference in drop chance between cache specific legendaries (like the set requirement reduce ring) and actual legendaries is pretty big. In my experience cache specific legendaries seem to have a 1 in 15 boxes chance to drop, I've never even seen a regular from them.

I've gotten a green beam once of these and thought "oh cool, even got a regular dro... never mind. A recipe :|"

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
would anyone be kind enough to power level me some levels on eu ?

ferr

I got a Kridershot... except the dps is kinda low compared to my 1h.

So what makes the Danetta's dps so much higher? I guess in this case it's the inherent attack speed? Looking at the damage rolls it's not exactly low on the Kridershot either, but the dps difference is very significant. Also, how are weapon damage calculated into skills? It's not using the dps right?

Having elemental arrow as a hatred generator is soo good though. Hmm. I guess I'll try to reroll the vit into increased damage to elites to make up some that difference.

nice job on the KS!

i wonder where kridershot stands versus a standard clustershot build. at some point frost arrow might be so good for spamming that you might put everything in +% elemental arrow and +% cold damage instead of CA/Fire. when i had a KS pre-ros i felt most effective by just spamming FA and using FoK. unless i'm wrong, CA interrupts FA, FoK does not.. so it would be optimal to spam FA and FoK at the same time for maximum burst damage.

Olli128

So I bought diablo 3 (base version) as it was on sale to celebrate the release of RoS. Just killed
diablo
at the end of the game and I'm level 38, is it worth buying RoS now or should I wait till I'm max level?

Btw the whole game was really easy, only died twice (cause I didn't realize that fire chains reflected damage) as a barbarian, first playthrough on "hard". I'm guessing the new loot system unbalanced the game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

No one is getting legendaries every 5-10 minutes outside of the occasional streak of luck or abusing runs that are likely to be nerfed shortly.

So I bought diablo 3 (base version) as it was on sale to celebrate the release of RoS. Just killed
diablo
at the end of the game and I'm level 38, is it worth buying RoS now or should I wait till I'm max level?

Btw the whole game was really easy, only died twice (cause I didn't realize that fire chains reflected damage) as a barbarian, first playthrough on "hard". I'm guessing the new loot system unbalanced the game.

You can't get max level without RoS. And no need to put spoilers for the end boss of the base game called Diablo 3.

Dahbomb

I have been disconnecting from games all day long. No idea what's going on... really killed my excitement as I was having some great runs (including a great upgrade on my helm).

Ok this explains it... I have Cox too.

This sucks. :(

scy

I have been disconnecting from games all day long. No idea what's going on... really killed my excitement as I was having some great runs (including a great upgrade on my helm).

Ok this explains it... I have Cox too.

This sucks. :(

That explains it :( Was wondering what happened.

Kssio_Aug

Wich class do you people believe is the most uninteresting to play?
I have a old barb lvl 60, but its not as fun to play as Wizard. And, from what I could see, even the monk (still melee) seems more interesting to play! Cant say however about the Crusader and DH, because I did not played as them enough. Wiz, WD and Monk are all nice classes to play however.

Giggzy

What are the most common barb builds? Think I'm going to get my barb from 60-70 today. Are people enjoying them at 70? All I see are Wizards/DH/Crusader in public games with the occasional monk/WD/barb

ViviOggi

Honestly, I feel like most builds for Crusaders will trend towards not relying on Valor + Judgement rotations unless you have the CDR to always have it up between pulls. Given a better way to dump Wrath outside of FoH, I can see going to a more ranged Smite/Justice build with FoH back to the cooldown runes but it's just hard to give up FoH's burst damage that doesn't interfere with attack animations as often as the other skills (/why do the other wrath dumps suck).

For comparison's sake, my build when soloing. ~1M Damage 8.5M Toughness, T1/T2 for the sake of clear speed. T2-T4 depending on group make-up for rifts with me usually tanking it.
I've been running the exact same actives sans Slash, but drawing inspiration from your rune and passive choices really fleshed out my build. As far as I'm concerned you're the Gaffer to listen to when it comes to Blizzard games. :p

Love your avatar. Bosozoku Kamiya is the best Kamiya. :)
Thanks, he really is!

Olli128

You can't get max level without RoS. And no need to put spoilers for the end boss of the base game called Diablo 3.

Haha okay thanks I'll buy it now then. Only spoilered it cause he doesn't come into play until the last act, even though it's so obvious you're gonna have to fight him at some point :)

scy

I've been running the exact same actives sans Slash, but drawing inspiration from your rune and passive choices really fleshed out my build. As far as I'm concerned you're the Gaffer to listen to when it comes to Blizzard games. :p

lol, I just like theorycrafting

I use Slash|Zeal since it's one of the few Holy attacks but the primary reason is that my normal group is a bunch of DPS classes and sometimes a Monk so I need to be the melee up there. Given free reign to pick whatever, I'd possibly use Smite or Justice depending on which is best (probably Justice?). Punish is also great in general but I really really liked the Holy Damage bonus + my belt at the time had Slash damage anyway and now I just default to it always.

I've been trying to figure out how I'd want to go full ranged with the build but it'd probably be a full-on retooling with Heaven's Fury back to a cooldown skill in place of Condemn and probably Fist of the Heavens as the Wrath dump. Can stick to Zealous Glare for the Wrath but getting the +20% Damage may be the best there. This leaves Akarat as an awkward choice as it's primarily a melee CC break + revive so it's probably here that you're best suited with Judgement utility. This is where it's awkward that there's such weird Elemental options. Holy on Phalanx would be amazing, for instance, as it gives you another short cooldown skill you can pop with Bowmen here.

I can't fucking stand this. Why join a game and then not play? Who the fuck does that.

I like getting carried every rift run np :x

dengatron

bounties are so much more rewarding that rifts lately. i don't really enjoy rifts unless it's just absolute batshit mobs wall to wall.. the loot is slower, the time spent is longer, and they're less fun, imo.

bounties are so much more rewarding that rifts lately. i don't really enjoy rifts unless it's just absolute batshit mobs wall to wall.. the loot is slower, the time spent is longer, and they're less fun, imo.

Rifts can be a lot of fun with the right group :D

Especially when doing Torment III. GREAT xp, chance for good drops too. The other night I literally had between 5-10 legendaries over the course of the night. This was right after they buffed the drop rates btw.

That said, I still love doing bounties and opening 20+ bags at once. It gets very addicting. Who am I kidding, this entire game is addicting.

scy

My problem with bounties is I can't resist alt-tabbing between them. Rift runs at least I pay attention constantly
because otherwise someone will yell at me

As someone that can only play this game a little bit at night and more on weekends, this doesn't sound appealing at all. I'd never be in a position to compete or race for anything. But that's probably a ton of fun for people that engage in that stuff regularly.

I mean it's definitely not going to be for everyone, especially those that chew through the game slower. But you might find yourself at the point where you have nothing else rewarding to do either and the fresh start granted from a ladder will be nice, even if you don't think you'll place high. You also might be more intrigued by things like the short Path of Exile races, that could last as little as an hour, just trying to see how far you can get vs. friends.

Either way it's a different style of play meant to extend the longevity of the game. As it stands, besides just infinitely grinding paragon levels, you can pretty much cap out on the order of low-mid hundreds of hours (at least on softcore with no penalties that result in regression of power). For some (many?) people, that's getting more than enough out of the game. Others will need the regression/power sink of ladders to keep things interesting over the course of years.

RS4-

Yeah, there are some rift maps that are an absolute bore. Malathael's and the Enchantress side quest one.

The Butcher area and the uhh, prison one as well.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

I dunno man, depends on a lot of factors, t1 rifts only take like 10 minutes and it feels like a 50/50 shot for a forgotten soul. A full clear of bounties on the other hand with a full group of 4 can be anywhere from 20-35 minutes.

I think they're both good to do.

Kosma

Banned
There should be some endless rift mode with no need for keys

I dunno man, depends on a lot of factors, t1 rifts only take like 10 minutes and it feels like a 50/50 shot for a forgotten soul. A full clear of bounties on the other hand with a full group of 4 can be anywhere from 20-35 minutes.

I think they're both good to do.

How do you clear a rift in 10 min, full group?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Yeah, there are some rift maps that are an absolute bore. Malathael's and the Enchantress side quest one.

I don't mind those last two because they tend to have good mob density. The first two aren't bad, but they seem to come up to often.

The worst is desolate sands though. Fucking huge and mob density is poor.

scy

I think the biggest thing would be some way to dump more Fragments into improving Rift quality. Like, increasing mob density, adding random Purple enemies (for drop purposes), increasing Elite quantity, etc.

Prison is one of my favorite areas. Usually a huge straightforward map that has a higher-than-normal elite spawn rate.

Taz

What are the most common barb builds? Think I'm going to get my barb from 60-70 today. Are people enjoying them at 70? All I see are Wizards/DH/Crusader in public games with the occasional monk/WD/barb

Prema WW/Rend/Avalanche Barb

Left click - Rend bloodbath
Right click - Whirlwind wind shear
Skill 1 - War cry charge
Skill 2 - Avalanche volcano
Skill 3 - Wrath of berseker insanity
Skill 4 - Sprint run like the wind or the 40% one

Earthen might
Unforgiving
Blood thirst
Anyone you like

With wind shear earthen might and warcry you can perma Sprint and WW with a big group of mobs rend.

Rokal

The class-balance situation at 70 feels the same as it did at 60 in 2.0. Wizards (and to a lesser extent DH) still out-pace the other classes by a huge margin. I've got a Barb and a Crusader at 70 now and it feels like I have to invest so much into defensive stats just to survive Torment that even with "good" gear I'm still doing a fraction of the damage that a Wiz in average gear does. Whenever I play in a group it's obvious that I'm not really contributing anything compared to a Wiz.

The ability to live through melee damage isn't worth doing 80% less damage. The role of soaking damage so that targets can be slightly more stationary for the Wiz's in group is not fun. Where is the class balance?

joesmokey

Guys, I have so many rings that I honestly have no idea what to equip or re-roll for anymore.
pPFnd11.png

I've been farming with Vitalized Testimony and Ring of Royal Grandeur and switching to the Stone of Jordan on boss fights.

Now with the Oculus, maybe I should use Ring of Royal Grandeur + Oculus on higher difficulties? Should I even re-roll any of these stats? Why can't I get an off-hand to drop :(.

Dahbomb

I disagree unless you are split farming for caches in Normal with 4 players. I feel like that would be nerfed.

The advantages of Rifts are the following:

*On average more Elites to kill per hour spent.
*Considerably more Blood Shards awarded which leads to easier ways to upgrade your items if you have Rares.
*Much better chance of acquiring Forgotten Souls (Rift Guardian has a good chance to drop).
*More challenging than Bounties and usually more fun too. When you get a high density Rift it's pretty amazing.

Disadvantages of Rifts:

*Can't get Cache exclusive Legendaries.
*Less loot than Bounties if you are split farming Bounties or just joining people as they complete (will likely get nerfed).
*Restriction to Rifts, requires keystone which isn't a big deal as many people have more than enough at this point.
*Probably less EXP but it's hard to say for sure.

I feel it's well balanced. If you want good loot then you can just do Rumsfeld runs on Story mode or Core of Arreat. Hell those Act V areas have a crap tone of weapon/armor racks you can open up. The advantage of Bounties/Rifts is that you get good EXP, there is lack of monotony, you get currencies and solid enough loot for time spent.

Honestly just do whatever you want, that's the beauty of RoS. I will keep doing Rifts because I am a gambler and love using Forgotten Souls to reroll Legendaries. I also love using Shards and have gotten many upgrades from the gambler. For me personally Rifts have been more rewarding. I have done many Bounties but for me it hasn't provided good enough returns.

Taz

The class-balance situation at 70 feels the same as it did at 60 in 2.0. Wizards (and to a lesser extent DH) still out-pace the other classes by a huge margin. I've got a Barb and a Crusader at 70 now and it feels like I have to invest so much into defensive stats just to survive Torment that even with "good" gear I'm still doing a fraction of the damage that a Wiz in average gear does. Whenever I play in a group it's obvious that I'm not really contributing anything compared to a Wiz.

The ability to live through melee damage isn't worth doing 80% less damage. The role of soaking damage so that targets can be slightly more stationary for the Wiz's in group is not fun. Where is the class balance?

Barbs farm T1 Bountys n Rifts faster than any class atm, I stopped playing my Wizard because the amount of people playing them is insane lol

scy

Now that we're nearly a week in, how are people liking the crusader?

The main problem with the class is that they have a pretty high gear floor requirement to feel right. Some CDR to get cooldowns to the right spot so they're up for each fight (or multiple times in one fight) and then the normal desire of CC/CD/stats to just hit sufficiently hard.

The biggest problem is their numbers for most skills feel undertuned so you end up shoehorned into the few skills that are good. Their generators and most their spenders are fairly weak for their returns. Many can get +20-30% damage on them and not be above what other classes would see. Increasing their base Wrath generation by 1 point (5->6) would help a lot too.

Besides that, their Elemental options are just poorly balanced. They're stacked heavily to favor one type on a skill rather than having multiple options per skill. Just feels like that it's rather limited in getting an assortment of skills to match a single +Elemental% type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom