• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eek5

Yeah, thankfully. My screen would old be tornadoes if it wasn't but that sometimes is the case anyway with packs, essence burn and Crippling Wave/WOTHF lol.

I haven't used SW as much outside of combining it with essence burn recently. Mostly have SSS and Epiphany in set slots with the 4th being Mantra. That 3rd slot and my right click swaps around as necessary.

I've transitioned to a CDR build with SSS, Epiphany, Serenity, and an Ally. My Epiphany downtime is under 20 seconds now I think which isn't bad at all since I have SSS and serenity (dmg one) at my disposal for DPS while epiph is down.

Epiph fire rune is insanely strong on a tempest rush build too. The only problem is two of my core TR pieces are lightning resis so I might have to switch resists to bring it into T1 and beyond.

Yeah, thankfully. My screen would old be tornadoes if it wasn't but that sometimes is the case anyway with packs, essence burn and Crippling Wave/WOTHF lol.

I haven't used SW as much outside of combining it with essence burn recently. Mostly have SSS and Epiphany in set slots with the 4th being Mantra. That 3rd slot and my right click swaps around as necessary.

I keep going back and fourth with SW. My CC is pretty high, so I put it back in, but I keep thinking of swapping it for LTK or SSS. It's great experimenting.

Dahbomb

I've transitioned to a CDR build with SSS, Epiphany, Serenity, and an Ally. My Epiphany downtime is under 20 seconds now I think which isn't bad at all since I have SSS and serenity (dmg one) at my disposal for DPS while epiph is down.
Neat build.

You could also probably add Blinding Flash in there. I personally would replace Serenity with it.

Allies are really underrated especially the Fire one IMO. If I make a Fire Monk I will be using Fire Ally for sure. It's a 10% passive DPS boost along with a mini SSS.

Tendo

I'm trying to farm the Staff of Herding

If I know where a piece is located do I need to do anything special to reset the zone? Or can I just TP out, leave game, start game, and head back?

Does being on a higher difficulty increase drop rate?

Link to build?

And still getting disconnected here in EU. Goddamn there some huge DDoS attacks going on this isn't fun anymore.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/AnathemicOne-1625/hero/7620124

Of course it doesn't show rerolled stats but I generally aimed for crit chance on most of my items.

I ran with Arcane Orb/Orbit rune a bunch as a melee wiz beginning of 2.0. Was tons of fun.

What made you stop? I've yet to test it out via act bosses, I'm hoping Ray of Frost will supplement in a scenario where melee sin't possible. Debating on whether to change that though as I've stated previously.

This is most likely a no bit figured someone has tried it or asked and I may not be on for a few days to try it out.

If I loot a weapon on my wiz but take the weapon to the mystic with my witch doctor can I possibly switch the skill specific stat to a witch doctor skill?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Huge Rift - don't click if you don't like spoilers

Unsure if this is has been done before but the rifts are huge as hell. Finish these with a nemesis bracer and thank the fortune for the spoils. Between this and the graveyard I'm quite happy with the improvements to the game.

This is most likely a no bit figured someone has tried it or asked and I may not be on for a few days to try it out.

If I loot a weapon on my wiz but take the weapon to the mystic with my witch doctor can I possibly switch the skill specific stat to a witch doctor skill?

Yeah as long as they both can use the item to begin with you can always reroll the stats granted you have materials and the money.

Shouta

Epiph fire rune is insanely strong on a tempest rush build too. The only problem is two of my core TR pieces are lightning resis so I might have to switch resists to bring it into T1 and beyond.

Yeah, I'm considering going with Fire later on but I'm running holy right now with the lightning from my WKL. SSS - Fulminating Onslaught is digusting and Fists of Fury can crit for 1.2 mil on on the 3rd hit and like 300k on the fast punches.

if I can get that 1h Fire Axe, then I'd be happy to try all fire all the time. =o

I keep going back and fourth with SW. My CC is pretty high, so I put it back in, but I keep thinking of swapping it for LTK or SSS. It's great experimenting.

LTK is actually really good for damage and very low cost in spirit. When I had my Lightning bracers on, LTK with the Stun rune was giving me 6 mil a crit easy. It sucks as an AOE of course but is wonderful for single targets.

eek5

Neat build.

You could also probably add Blinding Flash in there. I personally would replace Serenity with it.

Allies are really underrated especially the Fire one IMO. If I make a Fire Monk I will be using Fire Ally for sure. It's a 10% passive DPS boost along with a mini SSS.

Yeah I'll check blinding flash out. I'm mainly using serenity for a bit more survivability right now plus the damage on it is decent. Fire ally is really good. I sometimes forget to use it but it does quite a bit of burst damage and the CD isn't that bad especially if your'e stacking CDR.

arimanius

So are Nephalem Glory orbs worth it or not? I see that the crusader has a rune under law of valor that makes them pop more. I've tried it out and I can get the buff x3 pretty easier just don't know if it's worth the rune spot or not.

So are Nephalem Glory orbs worth it or not? I see that the crusader has a rune under law of valor that makes them pop more. I've tried it out and I can get the buff x3 pretty easier just don't know if it's worth the rune spot or not.

In group, it's insane especially as its the only rune that benefit the entire group

Yeah as long as they both can use the item to begin with you can always reroll the stats granted you have materials and the money.

So if the stats are increased meateor damage for a wizard, I can re-roll for increased damage with fire bats for the witch doctor? Just making sure since my initial question may not have been worded clearly. Obviously the item would have the other important stats that the two classes already share.

scy

For grouping, it is the best rune imo. +10% AoE Damage and +10% Movement Speed really hastens the run.

Shouta

They really should add a bonus based on your own level relative to the level of torment you're in and not just flat bonuses. It'd make it worthwhile to fight harder enemies in that case or to challenge yourself.

It'd probably get abused somehow though.

Cipherr

So sad to see long time Monk users jump ship.

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

I was initially playing a monk, but honestly Im either going to main my Wiz or my DH now. It helps that I prefer ranged, but Im sick of how difficult it seems to get a high dps monk with decent toughness relative to other classes. Honestly the dex based classes in general piss me off. STR/INT work so much better as primary stats as they contribute IMO much better to smoother damage reduction than dodge does. Does fucking sucks and I cannot believe they didnt do anything to make it more attractive.

I dont care if I dodge 7 out of 10 attacks if the 3 that do get through WRECK me. Id rather have consistent and smoother incoming damage. I feel way to roped into certain passives as a Monk too. Its just a number of little annoying things that make it less fun to play.

KarmaCow

Levelling a Wizard was a bad idea. They're so much easier to gear up to a reasonable level that going back to my WD of Monk feels like they're still level 60. It really kills my motivation to play them for gear when it's so much easier almost one shotting everything as a Wizard.

Trickster

They really should add a bonus based on your own level relative to the level of torment you're in and not just flat bonuses. It'd make it worthwhile to fight harder enemies in that case or to challenge yourself.

It'd probably get abused somehow though.

They should just make drop chances scale better with difficulty levels. There really doesn't seem to be a big reason to do torment difficulties 1 or 2 levels higher than what your default farm level is currently.

I mean why would I take a risk and play torment 2 or 3 on hardcore, when I can farm safely on torment 1, and get pretty much the same amount of gear as I would, trying to farm t2/t3 more inefficiently?

Gaz_RB

They should just make drop chances scale better with difficulty levels. There really doesn't seem to be a big reason to do torment difficulties 1 or 2 levels higher than what your default farm level is currently.

I mean why would I take a risk and play torment 2 or 3 on hardcore, when I can farm safely on torment 1, and get pretty much the same amount of gear as I would, trying to farm t2/t3 more inefficiently?
Agreed. The challenge is fun, but Diablo is about rewards. There needs to be better rewards on higher difficulties.

Kacho

They definitely need to change the reward scaling for difficulties. There also needs to be some sort of progression that keeps you moving up.

scy

The other issue is the streaky nature of the drops makes it hard to judge if the difficulty is doing much. When we first shifted to T3 runs, the first few had most of us getting 2-3 Legendaries really fast (I got 4 the first run, I think). But after ~50+, it just feels like the same ol' drop rate as before.

Dawg

World First Hardcore Torment 6 Malthael Kill
5 days after RoS' release Malthael was killed by a Hardcore hero on the highest difficulty - Torment 6! Now when I say "hero" I mean it not only as a D3 character, but as a player as well - the fight took him THREE HOURS!

1340163943195.gif

The one problem I'm having with torment is gems. I don't think I've seen a single non-marquis gem in the last few hours. Otherwise the drops and gold/xp are worth bumping up now that I can handle it.

zashga

Anyone else getting extreme, unplayable lag in Diablo 3 today? It was fine yesterday and before, but now there's a multi-second delay between clicking on something and anything happening. It also keeps disconnecting me.

kafiend

Anyone else getting extreme, unplayable lag in Diablo 3 today? It was fine yesterday and before, but now there's a multi-second delay between clicking on something and anything happening. It also keeps disconnecting me.

From the launcher:

Diablo, World of Warcraft, StarCraft and Hearthstone players may be impacted by high latency and disconnections during their gaming experience that are the result of a series of DDoS attacks on certain European online services. Although Blizzard’s infrastructure isn’t targeted, the disruption effects rippled and have been felt by a portion of our players’ population.

While we are closely monitoring the situation we wanted to thank you for your patience and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please follow @BlizzardCSEU_EN on Twitter for further updates.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Just a tip, replace your +dmg gem in the shard of hate with a crit dmg gem. You will gain A LOT of dps by doing it

Just a tip for everyone as not everyone realizes it. This is true for more or less everyone --unless you're a summon focused witch doctor. Because of how pet scaling works they should go ruby in the weapon. As far as I'm aware any other spec/class though should go emerald all day long though,

So I'm running melee Wizard and its fucking fun as hell. I do way more damage than my previous Disintegrate build critting for 3 million. My only question is whether I should switch out Energy/Force armor for Diamond Skin and Ray of Frost for Arcane Orb. The former I wouldn't mind but I really don't want to do the latter as I like to be unique and not go for the mainstream Frost Orb builds every wizard uses.

So many wizards make this mistake, and it is rather painful to look at. Why do you have three spenders? Granted Explosive Blast is on a small CD, but still. How are you making effective use of Ray of Frost a channeling skill with a skill like Wave of Force that requires you to spam it to do any real damage? IF you want to go Melee and you want to stick to the fire build, use something like this:

Melee Fire

You will drastically increase your EDPS/EHP with Unwavering Will. You can also switch out Energy Armor with Pinpoint by using Blur/UW. Using Audacity as a passive is a no-brainer considering you are going to be in melee range, this bumps your DPS instantly by 15%. The build will also increase your Crit Chance by 11% (Pinpoint/Conflag).

I'm going to quote Jaetch's guide concerning the issue with using multiple spenders:

So we pick a spender to build on. Let's say we pick Arcane Orb - Frozen Orb. This skill will be our primary damage dealer. We will kill the majority of the content with this skill. If we're running multiple spenders (say, Frozen Orb along with Energy Twister - Mistral Breeze), chances are we're going to run out of resources very fast and we'll be sitting around wondering what went wrong. This also applies to combining a traditional spender with a channeling spell. If we're running Frozen Orb with Ray of Frost, we have an issue. If we're channeling Ray of Frost, we're not using Frozen Orb. If we're casting Frozen Orb, we cannot channel Ray of Frost. So a skill is wasted. So generally speaking, we focus on one spender. Now we have to figure out how to sustain this spender to keep it going constantly throughout a fight.

You could switch out Wave of Force: Heat Wave for Energy Twister: Gale Force, this would further increase stacking Fire damage. Personally I hate Energy Twister, the random pathing really sucks. Granted you would be using Black Hole: Blazar to group the enemies up, so maybe it wouldn't be all that bad. Tons of options. It is one of the greatest things about the Wizard class as a hole, we have much more build diversity than the majority of classes out there (opinion obviously). Additionally, are you stacking +Fire Damage on your gear, cause you should be. Increasing my +Cold Damage from 0% to 60% with three pieces of gear drastically altered my killing speed. We are talking about Magic Missile going from 1.5m to 3m+, Frozen Orb 3m to 6.5m+.

I think he is talking about Imperial gems. Those don't exactly drop like hot cakes, you occasionally get them here and there on Torment.

Yea, this.

I'm liking LTK on my monk instead of SSS, I run out of spirit more often, but it's better than waiting for the cooldown.

How do players leech, exactly? I thought you couldn't get xp while in town. Do they wait for zones to be cleared and then pick up items?
They're getting the prizes in the end, aswell the exp of killing bosses
What I mean is... Maybe they're not getting the exp of killing the monsters, but in the end of each bounty they get a prize, so that's why

Dahbomb

So we pick a spender to build on. Let's say we pick Arcane Orb - Frozen Orb. This skill will be our primary damage dealer. We will kill the majority of the content with this skill. If we're running multiple spenders (say, Frozen Orb along with Energy Twister - Mistral Breeze), chances are we're going to run out of resources very fast and we'll be sitting around wondering what went wrong. This also applies to combining a traditional spender with a channeling spell. If we're running Frozen Orb with Ray of Frost, we have an issue. If we're channeling Ray of Frost, we're not using Frozen Orb. If we're casting Frozen Orb, we cannot channel Ray of Frost. So a skill is wasted. So generally speaking, we focus on one spender. Now we have to figure out how to sustain this spender to keep it going constantly throughout a fight.
This logic doesn't just apply for Wizards but for pretty much every other class there is.

The only time you have two spenders is if one is for AOE and one is for single target... even then it's not optimal because you normally use single target spells for bosses... which you can just change around your skill prior to fighting (like I use Impale against bosses as a DH).

I may have posted this before but this is how I build pretty much all of my characters:

One resource generator skill (some exceptions include stuff like Monk with the Combination strike passive)

One resource dumping skill (this is the skill that you dump almost all of your resources into for big damage. Stuff like Loaded for Bear Cluster Arrows, LTK, Wall of Light, Arcane Orb. These are usually the skills you get on your Boots and Helm.)

One utility damage skill (this is a skill that you cast once to activate for some utility purpose. You don't spam this. This is also usually a crowd control type ability. Examples include Cyclone strike, Monk Ally, DH's Sentries, Shield Glare. These skills you normally get on your Chest and Shoulders)

One defensive/mobility skill (this is a skill you use to stay alive or avoid bad situations or even move around. Stuff like Vault, Dashing Strike, Teleport, Steed charge even Leap and Spirit Walk fall into this).

One big cooldown ability (this is usually a transformation type skill or a big nuke type thing. Examples include Black Hole, Archon, Epiphany, Rain of Vengeance, Bombardment. You usually have this skill to complete your build, something that glues everything together)

One semi passive ability (This you basically turn on once in a while if that. It's usually just to buff you up. Stuff like Crusader Laws, Monk Mantras, DHs companions, Battle Cry)

I am pretty sure this is how the game was designed as. Sure there are exceptions but this is a good primer for new players.

Sigmaah

World First Hardcore Torment 6 Malthael Kill
5 days after RoS' release Malthael was killed by a Hardcore hero on the highest difficulty - Torment 6! Now when I say "hero" I mean it not only as a D3 character, but as a player as well - the fight took him THREE HOURS!

I would like to see this... Holy shit that must've been nerve wrecking as fuck.

Xamdou

Kadela hooked me up again and gave me this today:

RevanEyeofTheStormLegendary.jpeg

My other legendary from her the other day:

RevanTyrael.jpg

My firewalker boots, don't think I'll ever change em:

RevanFireWalkers.jpg

And finally lvl 60 Band of Rune of Chambers w/ trifecta stats and has 45% more spirit generating proc:

RevanBandOfTheRueChambers.jpg

Dahbomb

I would like to see this... Holy shit that must've been nerve wrecking as fuck.
He had 50 million toughness though.

It's still a big accomplishment considering that he muscled through the game's content with crap DPS and still had the balls to take on T6 Malthael. Not sure if he practiced on lower Mathael beforehand... he must have to check for a really powerful enrage mechanic.

A feat of endurance... I wonder if he ever got close to dying in that 3 hour fight.

Trickster

On the issue of higher difficulties not being rewarding enough. I think something that could help would be to increase set item drop rates as you increase the difficulty. They just sem to drop so rarely atm.

Seth C

I really wish this game had decent difficulty scaling. I can slaughter Master, it's absolutely not challenging at all, but I die a ton on Torment I. Seems silly.

Trickster

I really wish this game had decent difficulty scaling. I can slaughter Expert, it's absolutely not challenging at all, but I die a ton on Torment I. Seems silly.

There's this difficulty in between those 2 called master, maybe you should try that ? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom