• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had Blackthorne's pants twice now, one gambled, one dropped. Only set items I've seen (besides plans). And I haven't been below Torment 1 in awhile, so it's not just that they weren't available to drop. They definitely seem much rarer any other legendaries. Gonna take forever to complete a set without trading.

just farm better loot for a while by doing normal bounties or something until you can do torment 1. I honestly don't feel like Torment 1 was a massive step up from Master. Fuck T3 though.

vilmer_

There needs to be god like drops that are only available in T6 (or perhaps even T4-T6). In D2 there were amazing items/ilvl's that you could only get in Hell difficulty (Tal's armor, etc). It gave you a real incentive to keep pushing forward. That feel when you saw a purple texted Lacquered Plate drop was orgasmic. The D3 team is on the right track, but still have some work/research to do. I don't think many of the Irvine D3 team even played the first two Diablo's, until this expansion went into production.

IceMarker

Remember to double check your shipping address guys or you'll end up calling customer service to have it corrected and wait an extra day in fear that they heard you correctly or not.

There needs to be god like drops that are only available in T6 (or perhaps even T4-T6). In D2 there were amazing items/ilvl's that you could only get in Hell difficulty (Tal's armor, etc). It gave you a real incentive to keep pushing forward. That feel when you saw a purple texted Lacquered Plate drop was orgasmic. The D3 team is on the right track, but still have some work/research to do. I don't think many of the Irvine D3 team even played the first two Diablo's, until this expansion went into production.

Agreed. This is one of the major problems with the game currently. There truly is no reason to do higher difficulties if you cannot farm them just as fast as T1-2 (minus the xp). They could set up two or three different tiers of difficulty/items. T1-2, T3-4, T5-6 or T1-3, T4-6. Tiers would drop higher rolled versions of loot. So 650, 700, 750...or w/e. The reasoning for this is pretty straight forward, it would give players a sense of progression.

Personally I'm hopeful, they obviously saw an immediate problem with having Class sets drop in sub Torment level difficulties. Hopefully they address this issue. If they do not want to do a tiered change they need to drastically increase the drops in T4-6. Until they do I will not move beyond T2-3.

Kvik

He had 50 million toughness though.

It's still a big accomplishment considering that he muscled through the game's content with crap DPS and still had the balls to take on T6 Malthael. Not sure if he practiced on lower Mathael beforehand... he must have to check for a really powerful enrage mechanic.

A feat of endurance... I wonder if he ever got close to dying in that 3 hour fight.

His DPS is lower than 200k, that 50mil did come with a price.

Screenshot025_zps97c41888.jpg

Did he get a leg drop for his (commendable) efforts?

Xevren

I have the same problem with my monk in torment. Master is too easy but Torment can be too much, I know if I can get some life on hit it will be good but not having much luck finding a good source of that other than running MoH with the life on hit rune. Just really bad luck weapon wise lately.

Dahbomb

Is it confirmed that higher torments have higher drop rates?
It's confirmed but it's not really something that is noticeable.

This is how I see it:

Let's say in Torment 1 you get 1 Legendary after every 1000 enemies killed (let's say 1 out of 1000).

And in Torment 6 you get 1 Legendary after every 600 enemies killed (let's say 1 out of 600 chance).

However... it takes you half the time to kill stuff in Torment 1 than in Torment 6 (so by the time you killed 1000 enemies in Torment 1 you would've only killed 500 in T6)... why would you ever do Torment 6 if all you wanted was better loot?

I know this isn't exactly how the math works but this is about what is happening but with different ratios. The only way it's worth doing higher Torment is if you are clearing them at around the same brisk pace as Torment 1... which means one shotting stuff with your spender skill.

Zeliard

Levelling a Wizard was a bad idea. They're so much easier to gear up to a reasonable level that going back to my WD of Monk feels like they're still level 60. It really kills my motivation to play them for gear when it's so much easier almost one shotting everything as a Wizard.

Pretty much. I find DH a lot more engaging mechanically but it isn't easy to justify playing it much when Wizard is so much more efficient for gathering loot.

I'm doing all adventure mode right now with a new character and is there any way to get followers or do I have to do campaign mode to get follows on a new character?

Pretty much. I find DH a lot more engaging mechanically but it isn't easy to justify playing it much when Wizard is so much more efficient for gathering loot.

The Wizard club is growing, which concerns me greatly. I'm happy if people are playing Wizards because they truly enjoy them, what I do not want is people playing them because they are 'more efficient'. Knowing Blizzard, they will take the easy route and merely nerf Wizards, rather than buffing other classes. While some people might rub their hands with glee over this, it does pose a significant problem. Let me explain. People are merely going to jump to the next 'most efficient' class if Blizzard nerfs Wizards. Then we will repeat the same process over and over again, until we have an entire roster of nerfed classes.

Personally I enjoy the Wizard because of the vast build diversity. The reasons I'm using Cold right now are two-fold. First, the items that are dropping pushed me in the direction of Cold (I'm looking at you Azurewrath). Second, I'm still more than a bit squishy as I'm using a couple level 60 items. Cold allows me superb crowd control via the passive ability to slow/freeze monsters, not to mention the actual passive that increases my damage. As soon I get some solid Fire items I'll be giving a Fire build a whirl (same goes for Arcane and Lightning). Honestly I just feel like the Wizard class is the most 'complete' class in the game right now. Granted I haven't touched a single class other than the Wizard since RoS dropped. However, I have looked over numerous builds/specs/etc. I just do not think they offer near as much synergy.

b9Uhkh0.jpg

scy

Honestly I just feel like the Wizard class is the most 'complete' class in the game right now. Granted I haven't touched a single class other than the Wizard since RoS dropped. However, I have looked over numerous builds/specs/etc. I just do not think they offer near as much synergy.

Yeah, this is pretty much the case. Like, Wizards have viable options for basically every elemental type they want when making a build. That's not really the same for the other classes. Sure, Frozen Orb crowds out the other Arcane Orb options but there's still viable options however you want to go.

Dreavus

So I'm running melee Wizard and its fucking fun as hell. I do way more damage than my previous Disintegrate build critting for 3 million. My only question is whether I should switch out Energy/Force armor for Diamond Skin and Ray of Frost for Arcane Orb. The former I wouldn't mind but I really don't want to do the latter as I like to be unique and not go for the mainstream Frost Orb builds every wizard uses.

http://i.imgur.com/kG9yBlM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm using Spectral blades (thrown), Disintegrate with the close range rune (Entropy), and black hole with spell steal. I wasn't a fan of Disintegrate at first but I've ended up boosting it's damage by 38% thanks to a new wand and a lucky roll on some boots.

I've never found that I needed diamond skin, and if you're already using teleport that should get you out of sticky spots well enough already.

If you're looking for a substitution, Black hole is just an awesome skill. A hefty amount of damage with a really good disable to go along with it. I'd say try giving that a shot, but it does have a cool down which might be something to keep in mind. But hell if you're having success with ray of frost just keep rolling with that.

Is it confirmed that higher torments have higher drop rates?

It is 'confirmed' so far as we will ever know. The slider says so and they recently 'increased' the drop rates for higher torment. Regardless, it is so minimal that it is still better to farm T1-2.

Yeah, it's "confirmed" but the exact percentages aren't known. Even without having raw numbers, the difference currently still isn't enough for the jump in time required to kill things to be worth it.

---

In other news, been reading a lot about the 2H vs. 1H discussion and how the Crusader and Heavenly Strength really throws a wrench in it all. Pretty interesting since there are multiple ways it could be addressed, but one thing's for certain - it does need to be dealt with.

You can either:

a) Allow Barbs to dual wield 2Hers with a damage penalty
b) Allow 2Hers to roll 2 sockets (combined with heavenly strength damage penalty)
c) Rework Heavenly Strength to buff 1Her usage and penalize 2H damage (probably removing the reduced speed component as well)
d) Raise the damage on all 2Hers while including a more severe penalty on Heavenly Strength
e) Allow crusader shields roll +damage, but disable this bonus when using Heavenly Strength

Any of those and more, or a combination of them. There's also the option of just baking the Heavenly Strength bonus into the class rather than having it as pretty much a mandatory passive.

Some work definitely to be done there.

Chocobro

First legendary from Kadala after spending 20 blood shards today.
5193bc80e62402c45ea93be330b3b58f.png

I wish I was able to give it to my cousin because he wanted it and was playing the campaign on his crusader.

Zeliard

The Wizard club is growing, which concerns me greatly. I'm happy if people are playing Wizards because they truly enjoy them, what I do not want is people playing them because they are 'more efficient'. Knowing Blizzard, they will take the easy route and merely nerf Wizards, rather than buffing other classes. While some people might rub their hands with glee over this, it does pose a significant problem. Let me explain. People are merely going to jump to the next 'most efficient' class if Blizzard nerfs Wizards. Then we will repeat the same process over and over again, until we have an entire roster of nerfed classes.

Personally I enjoy the Wizard because of the vast build diversity. The reasons I'm using Cold right now are two-fold. First, the items that are dropping pushed me in the direction of Cold (I'm looking at you Azurewrath). Second, I'm still more than a bit squishy as I'm using a couple level 60 items. Cold allows me superb crowd control via the passive ability to slow/freeze monsters, not to mention the actual passive that increases my damage. As soon I get some solid Fire items I'll be giving a Fire build a whirl (same goes for Arcane and Lightning). Honestly I just feel like the Wizard class is the most 'complete' class in the game right now. Granted I haven't touched a single class other than the Wizard since RoS dropped. However, I have looked over numerous builds/specs/etc. I just do not think they offer near as much synergy.

That isn't to say I don't still find Wiz to be quite fun to play, mind you. I wouldn't bother playing it at all if it was purely a farming machine. But with a certain amount of time to invest in the game, I'm more inclined to play the class that will net me the most amount of loot in return, and at this stage DH doesn't come close for me.

Yeah, this is pretty much the case. Like, Wizards have viable options for basically every elemental type they want when making a build. That's not really the same for the other classes. Sure, Frozen Orb crowds out the other Arcane Orb options but there's still viable options however you want to go.

Wave of Force: Static Pulse was my go to when I had a full lightning set. The AE on that skill is HUGE, plus the 15% additional lightning damage from the rune made it hit like a truck. Overall though, Frozen Orb is not really the problem that everyone makes it out to be. Cold damage is the issue. The passive effect of Cold grants snare/freeze, then you add the actual Cold passive ability and you get an additional 10% damage. The passive effects of Arcane, Lightning, and Fire all seem rather weak when you compare them to Cold. You pick the passive ability that you want: Stun, Snare, Crit Chance, Increased Damage. Two of the four are on a different tier than the others. Most wizards running Arcane and Lightning do not even bother slotting the Snare/Stun passives. Every Cold and Fire Wizard will slot their respective passive ability.

Kammie

Level 52 and I just can't feel comfortable playing as a monk. I feel like I always need one more skill than what I have available. I'm not sure, I just feel awkward.

Is there any way in this game to bind the left mouse button to just walk, and put the primary attack on a key? It's the way I played Path of Exile, I just can't deal with trying to get out of a group of mobs but attacking them instead. I've been trying the middle/other buttons on the mouse, but it's just not as intuitive and I keep dying. Very difficult to untrain myself after 1100 hours of using left click to force walk.

Edit: Ctrl+Left Click seems to work. I can maybe deal with this.

Dreavus

That isn't to say I don't still find Wiz to be quite fun to play, mind you. I wouldn't bother playing it at all if it was purely a farming machine. But with a certain amount of time to invest in the game, I'm more inclined to play the class that will net me the most amount of loot in return, and at this stage DH doesn't come close for me.

The only caveat is that while you can find loot more efficiently on a more appropriately geared Wizard, thanks to loot 2.0 you'll be finding Wizard/int items a vast majority of the time. This is totally fine when progressing as a Wizard, but it also means that the best way to gear up another class is still to play that class even if it is less efficient (unless you had a WD as an alt, I guess) because there's going to be int on everything you find!

EDIT: at least, that's in my limited experience. I'm not one to make a lot of alt characters for the most part.

ElyrionX

The only caveat is that while you can find loot more efficiently on a more appropriately geared Wizard, thanks to loot 2.0 you'll be finding Wizard/int items a vast majority of the time. This is totally fine when progressing as a Wizard, but it also means that the best way to gear up another class is still to play that class even if it is less efficient (unless you had a WD as an alt, I guess) because there's going to be int on everything you find!

EDIT: at least, that's in my limited experience. I'm not one to make a lot of alt characters for the most part.

Pretty much this. However, if you are in a party, gear that drops will sometimes be relevant to those other classes in your party. The large majority of drops will still be for your class though.

Dahbomb

You can either:

a) Allow Barbs to dual wield 2Hers with a damage penalty
b) Simply allow 2Hers to roll 2 sockets
c) Rework Heavenly Strength to buff 1Her usage and penalize 2H damage (probably removing the reduced speed component as well)
d)Raise the damage on all 2Hers while including a more severe penalty on Heavenly Strength
e)Allow crusader shields roll +damage, but disable this bonus when using Heavenly Strength

If Crusaders didn't have Heavenly Strength they would be kinda bad IMO. The passive makes them good but still not broken. They still aren't clearing content as fast as Wizards or DHs.

As far as your solutions go:

A) If wielding 2Hs dual wield style resulted in a damage penalty then what would be the point in using them? Like say if they reduced the damage to the value where it would be the same as 1H weapons... why not just use two 1H weapons and just save up a passive slot? If you don't reduce the damage enough then just like the Crusader everyone would use the passive. Some of the stats on 2H weapons are insane. I predict that it would be a Crusader type situation where it would be mandatory on Barbs if it's good and if it's not good then no one would waste a passive on it.

B) 2H with sockets would be kinda broken. Remember 2 socket Manticore? Made every other Bow look like a joke.

C) I don't see the point in buffing 1H usage with HS... if that's the case then everyone would just use 1H with Heavenly Strength if 2H Heavenly Strength had lower damage.

D) More 2Hs have good damage the problem is that they can't compete with double sockets or 1H weapon + Source. The inherent problem is simply that Crit gems are too good.

E) If Crusader shields rolled with + damage then they would just be Sources... but better. Think about it... they would give you + damage, blocking, crit chance plus other Crusader specific buffs. It would basically be like having HS.. but without the MS penalty and the passive slot taken up.

The core of the problem is simply that Dual wield or 1H + Source/Quiver option beats 2H solo. DHs don't have to worry about 2H vs 1H, for them 2Hs are better for the most part because they can carry a Quiver (so technically they always have Heavenly Strength). If you nerf the crit gems then that makes 1H + Source the best option in the game making Wizards even more powerful. If you nerf Sources/Mojos then that makes dual wielders better.

In order to make 2Hs better while not messing up the HS balance they would probably have to nerf Source/Mojo damage and the CHD gem to the point where carrying a 2H weapon matches those combinations. If after these changes Crusader ends up being the new Wizard then slightly nerf HS if you have to.

I'm really hoping in the future they allow you to toggle smart loot to another class. I know some people wouldn't like that and all. It would serve two purposes. First, it would help people transition to another class without feeling like they were basically starting over. As it currently stands, once you reach a certain point it is nearly impossible to switch to another class. Second, it would allow me to roll with a different follower. Currently, I am all but forced to use the Enchantress when I'm soloing. I have no decent way to get gear for the other followers, which kinda of sucks to be honest. I would much rather use the Templar or Scoundrel.

Totakeke

I like to farm on my DH pretty much because it lets me gear up my monk at the same time to some extent. It's nice to be able to play both ranged and melee classes.

scy

If Crusaders didn't have Heavenly Strength they would be kinda bad IMO. The passive makes them good but still not broken. They still aren't clearing content as fast as Wizards or DHs.

If they're going to make it a Passive slot, they should give some kind of extra incentive. Right now, the biggest issue for that is that most of that incentive is locked in Legendary affixes. 2Hers just need an extra adjustment probably through the passive so it doesn't cause power creep in other classes if that's the line of action. Honestly, I find my damage strictly from the 2Her to be fine; a full rotation of my skills is pretty much DH level of damage (in terms of raw damage values, not DPS) barring ridiculous Cindercoat+Pride's Fall setups, though that's more of a "wow, Fire builds are sweet" issue. We need more build diversity while keeping that same level; comparable engage burst with a longer build up back to full.

Personally, my issue is that there needs to be better usage of having a Shield. Put another way, I have zero incentive to actually use a Crusader Shield instead of a regular Shield. In a perfect world, I'd love if Crusader Shields just had a free stat in the form of Wrath Regeneration. Or, alternatively, link Wrath Regeneration to our Block Chance. Or something. My Shield is pretty much just a stat stick.

Kssio_Aug

Today I played with the clan, and dude that was good! Learned some things that I did not know (like the pool bonus exp being comulative till dying), and have seen how procs and elemental damage can do the difference! lol

Sad that I got no big luck from getting gear drops. At least I could get some legendary set plans, I guess it will help in time. But I couldnt upgrade none of my gears... and it feels like a waste! T-T

MrDaravon

Tonight was a good night for the looting. My DH is running the instant-explode Bola quiver and Cluster Arrows, so decided to finally start trying to stack fire damage. Managed to re-roll the life regen on a good Promise of Glory (457 Dex/494 Vit/6% CC) into 18% fire. Then spamming Kadala hundreds of time finally paid off with a solid Magefist (17% fire/697 Dex/666 Vit/6% AS) where I also re-rolled life regen into 9% CC on my first attempt. The 34% Fire Skills damage came only a very slight sheet DPS loss (~2%) but has made a noticeable difference and I can faceroll T1 pretty comfortably now. I also got a really good quiver (Holy Point?) that's like a 10% DPS increase with no re-rolling, but holding onto my Bola quiver at the moment. Also got the Helm of Rule plan, as well as a really good roll on a Nemesis Bracers that came with higher dex/vit and also 18% Fire Skills, just need to try to re-roll the movement speed to CC and it's basically a wash with my current bracers but I don't have to swap out at shrines.

Maybe a silly question, but since I'm stacking fire damage (all of my attacks are fire) would the amulet on the right below would still be an actual effective ~4% DPS increase?

Obhea5d.jpg

I really need a new Andy's and/or a Cindercoat to complete the Fire Skills stacking. I still do have a Cloak of Garwulf I'm at like 15 tries on trying to get 3 sockets on. I'm going to lose like 400 Vit, but would gain the movement speed and 3 wolves which I think will be worth it...maybe.

Dahbomb

Put another way, I have zero incentive to actually use a Crusader Shield instead of a regular Shield. In a perfect world, I'd love if Crusader Shields just had a free stat in the form of Wrath Regeneration. Or, alternatively, link Wrath Regeneration to our Block Chance. Or something. My Shield is pretty much just a stat stick.
What? Crusader shields are way better than regular shield.

On Crusader shield you can get Wrath regeneration on a primary and + Max Wrath on a secondary affix. And some of the Legendary Crusader shield are absurd.

Salz01

Does the expansion have unique loot, outside of the crusader, that's not to be found in the vanilla game?
Debating about getting the expansion since I swore I wouldn't. But I'm getting weak. Do not want to get burned again,

KarmaCow

Is there a list of Legendaries that Kadala can give you? I got a Magefist for my WD but it was shitty roll so I kinda want to try again for it but it might be better to try for other items.

Also are there any soft caps for X% elemental or skill damage?

Dahbomb

Is there a list of Legendaries that Kadala can give you? I got a Magefist for my WD but it was shitty roll so I kinda want to try again for it but it might be better to try for other items.
Kadala can get you every Legendary in the game except cache specific Legendaries.

Does the expansion have unique loot, outside of the crusader, that's not to be found in the vanilla game?
Debating about getting the expansion since I swore I wouldn't. But I'm getting weak. Do not want to get burned again,

I don't think you will be. Adventure mode is like a nonstop cow level.

JCizzle

Something like 70 legendaries I think? Not 100% on that though.

Kadala can get you every Legendary in the game except cache specific Legendaries.

I was under the impression that Kadala could NOT give you class specific pieces, i.e Tal Rasha. In fact I'm pretty certain that she cannot give you these class specific items or any Torment only item for that matter.

scy

What? Crusader shields are way better than regular shield.

On Crusader shield you can get Wrath regeneration on a primary and + Max Wrath on a secondary affix. And some of the Legendary Crusader shield are absurd.

They're better Armor/Block Value/Block Chance but it's not highly relevant. Not to the point that it would outclass a good stat stick off-hand Shield. Though, yeah, saying I had zero incentive for Crusader Shield over a regular Shield is the wrong way to word it. I more mean that I have no reason to use it over what I have now if my current regular Shield offers basically all the right stats I want as well. The big missing one is the Wrath Regeneration but that means I lose something else for it.

And Wrath Regeneration on the Primary slot is part of the problem. It's already a super crowded slot for most shields as it's there with STR, Crit%, Skill Damage% (or Damage to Elites%) and then most of them auto-Block% roll. I guess you can just ignore any EHP stat on the Shield and get the Wrath Regen there in place of Block% and then hope for the +Wrath Secondary roll. The issue is the sheer amount of stuff you could get. It's just super crowded and it'd be nice if it at least had something for free as an extra incentive.

Edit: Though, worth noting the Skill Damage% part only applies to Crusader Shields so there's that. And I also realize that every other class doesn't have that kind of incentive so it would be totally unfair.

Megasoum

Banned
Ok this is an incredibly small pet peeves but why don't they show the % number permanently on the rift progress bar? Stupid to have to hover over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom