• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's RNG? The npc who you gamble shards in?

Random number generator, in other words you cannot 'farm it'. Diablo III, is not a game where you can see an item someone has and ask them where they got it. It does not work in that manner, where they got the item is insignificant. You could 'farm' the spot they got it and never get it. You could also farm somewhere completely different and get it. Does that make sense?

Pepto

Banned
For all of you Witch Doctors, I've seen some build and most of the Witch Doctors uses FireBats-Vampire Batsand not Soul Barrage-Well of Souls?
Whys that?

I use it because my Mark of Jeram gives me +90% pet damage (Vampire Bats + Fetish Sycophants gives me a small army of fetishes). As an added bonus it can do pretty good AOE damage.

Nymerio

I got the Strongarm Bracers on my monk yesterday. I was trying to incorporate the bonus damage from the knockback into my build but I found out that the LTK rune that knocks back enemies knocks them back too far. I don't want to use Waving Light because it uses too much spirit for my liking and I don't want to switch to another spirit generator because of the Shard of Hate proc. Are there any items that provide knockback with a high percentage proc rate?

fedexpeon

Banned
5 legendaries today: 3 weapons, 1 chest, 1 belt.

Only able to use armors because crusader is a dumb class that needs to be buff or remove heavenly strength...fricken pigeon-holding me into 2H for dps/toughness with shield.
Blizzard need to consider of giving a 30% buff like Barb/Monk if using 2H for Crusader.

Crusader isn't fun at all even with 400k dps =/.
All their skills are on a long CD, or just plain worst when comparing to other classes. Like 3/4 of the movesets for Crusader are just copy/paste of other classes.

Right now I am playing the class as a support with Justice+healing, and just hammer+thunder all day...Sure my team and I won't die, but seeing other classes having fun while you just holding hands is not the point of Diablo.

Right now I am playing the class as a support with Justice+healing, and just hammer+thunder all day...Sure my team and I won't die, but seeing other classes having fun while you just holding hands is not the point of Diablo.

This seems to be one of most vocal complaints about Crusaders. I imagine the first major patch will bring a massive re-balancing for classes; in a nutshell, Crusaders will get buffed and Wizards will get nerfed. Everyone else will stay remotely the same.

KuroNeeko

Only able to use armors because crusader is a dumb class that needs to be buff or remove heavenly strength...fricken pigeon-holding me into 2H for dps/toughness with shield.
Blizzard need to consider of giving a 30% buff like Barb/Monk if using 2H for Crusader.

All their skills are on a long CD, or just plain worst when comparing to other classes. Like 3/4 of the movesets for Crusader are just copy/paste of other classes.

Just my advice from the outside looking in but, if the class you're playing doesn't fit your playstyle, maybe you should try another one? It's possible that Blizz will alter the class later on but if you don't enjoy it in its current state then why keep playing it?

I'm not sure how effective it is, but it looks like using Akarat's Champion + Rally can help reduce your cooldown times, as well as items with CDR. You could make that a goal of your build. My future build will be Smite and Fist of the Heavens...maybe? I'm not really high enough to comment but that's what I want to try.

edit: Looks like the CDR from Rally is only while AC is active? Yikes!

jersoc

oh fuck yes! tonight has been great. just got the crazy mace from act 1 caches.

and then i get back to back blackthorne items. too bad the ammy sucked.

anthym

Neo Member
I started doing t1 bounties instead of normal tonight. Using my gloves of worship I had a fleeting and empowerment shrine the whole game(lasts an hour with gloves) so I flew through it. In that one game I got 3 legendaries and saved my caches for last. Opened them all at once and what do you know? Thunderfury. I was soooo happy :)

desverger

I just got back from my week long trip, so it's due time I got started with RoS!

First, a couple of questions that people can probably answer now:

Which is faster for leveling new characters these days, adventure mode or the campaign?

Is there any point to keep my pre-RoS crafting materials, gems and items anymore?

How was the launch? Did the servers cope? :p

Bradach

Which is faster for leveling new characters these days, adventure mode or the campaign?

If you haven't completed Act 5 yet Adventure Mode won't be unlocked for you yet.

I suspect Adventure mode would be quicker for levelling though. the bounties don't take long (10-15 mins) and i've been getting 2-3million XP for completing.

I just got back from my week long trip, so it's due time I got started with RoS!

First, a couple of questions that people can probably answer now:

Adventure mode by far, but keep in mind you need to have completed Act V on a character first to unlock it. Separate for Hardcore and Softcore

Is there any point to keep my pre-RoS crafting materials, gems and items anymore?

For the most part no, outside a few niche cases - achievements, leveling gear (crafted or reduced level requirement), extremely good items (e.g. legacy Witching Hour)

How was the launch? Did the servers cope? :p

Wasn't there at midnight, but not nearly as many server issues as the first week of vanilla.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I will need a Clan invite in US

Gromph#1483

Vampire Bats considered as pets?

No but Vampire bats with good attack speed can spawn fetish sycophants fairly frequently due to how many attacks it gets per second.

With something like 2.3-2.4 attack speed, you can be attacking up to 5 hits per second with Vamp Bats which is 5 different times that Fetishes can spawn.

Vamp Bats also just costs 0 mana channeling and does pretty decent damage as well if you have some pieces that give +% bonuses.

My Fetishes currently hit for 1.8mil - 2.0mil and I don't even have a Mask of Jeram yet. So with the Mask I will be hitting for about 4mil a hit per fetish.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The only caveat is that while you can find loot more efficiently on a more appropriately geared Wizard, thanks to loot 2.0 you'll be finding Wizard/int items a vast majority of the time. This is totally fine when progressing as a Wizard, but it also means that the best way to gear up another class is still to play that class even if it is less efficient (unless you had a WD as an alt, I guess) because there's going to be int on everything you find!

EDIT: at least, that's in my limited experience. I'm not one to make a lot of alt characters for the most part.

You say this like I didn't get four (4) Legendary DH items on my Crusader yesterday.

Granted, it was the first time I even got any non-Crusader Leg, but damn, man. Got 2 cloaks from Horadric caches (when I really wanted the shield from act 2), a crossbow with extra target piercing and plans for Archfiend quiver (I even have the mats!) Guess I'll have to level my 60 DH soon.

decided to take a little break from the Crusader to level my Barb, got a level 70 Shaeffer's Hammer with -13 level requirement. Went from 61 to 66 in like an hour doing bounties, pretty sweet.

Trickster

So basically it is an ARPG?

Look, D3 is in the best state that it has ever been in. Additionally, it is without any doubt the most polished ARPG on the market currently. As a game type, ARPG's are inherently difficult to garner long term support. You are talking about a massive balance game between giving players upgrades and trying to keep them playing. Give players upgrades too quickly, and they quit due to boredom. Give players upgrades too slowly, and they quit due to a lack of progression. Out of all the games out there, ARPG's are one of the hardest to get right. D3 fucked it hard prior to 2.0, there is really no doubt about this. The game was a complete shit fest (technical term), regardless Blizzard has made an attempt to re-invent the wheel. As a game, as an ARPG, it is without any doubt the best out there.

In the end the biggest problem within the ARPG genre...happens to be the players. OMG, do not stone me. It is true, hurts doesn't it? Players today want instant gratification, they want quick progression, etc. Guess what kiddos, ARPG's are not about instant gratification or quick progression. You aren't getting a new map pack in four months, you aren't getting another DLC drop in six months, grinding is THE game. ARPG's do not mesh well with today's gamer's. Sad, but true.

Figure out what you want out of D3. If you want to level each class to 70, farm up some gear, and hit T1 for a bit; do so. You will be able to do that with relative ease, far easier than ever before. If you are wanting to farm Torment 6, then you are looking at the long haul.

TL:DR; D3 is the most polished ARPG on the market. It is in the best state that it has ever been in, this is how the game should have launched. Regardless, it is still an ARPG, if you do not want to grind at all then GTFO.

Yeah it's an ARPG, and yeah it's the best state that D3 has been in. But so fucking what? The game still has a lot of damn glaring issues. Lack of incentive to play higher difficulties, no trading, smartloot makes getting loot for alts/followers a pain in the ass, stats on items still focus largely on the same stats that were critized heavily in vanilla d3 due to their boring nature, and still no fucking pvp ( which will probably never come ). The game is still far, far from being completely cured of bad design decisions. And I'm sorry, but it's just stupid to accept these things about the game that is obviously bad or flawed, just because "hey, at least it's now where it should have been 2 years ago when it launched *shrug*"

Also, please don't respond to me, acting as if I'm some fucking idiot child that's never played this type of game before, and all I want is instant reward. Not even 24 hours ago I made a post stating that I'm getting tired of this game in large part because I am able to get great gear to fast. Which in combination with how smart loot works, makes me less inclined to keep playing. Because If I want to keep having that carrot on a stick to chase, I essentially need to switch over to a completely different class. A class, that thanks to smartloot and no trading, would have no way of having decent gear unless I stop farming on my well geared "main" and switch over to a terribly geared character, just to give me the opportunity to find gear for a different class.

Foaloal

Got the best rift yet earlier:

AN98Ws1.jpg

Jh3NzKp.jpg

Some of you have probably seen this but I thought it was pretty cool.

Moff

I really dont like the pony level because of that music, it gives me headaches. enemies arent as good aminimated as the other ones either. its a nice idea, but poorly executed imo.

Kssio_Aug

If you have a Mad Monarch's and a Thunderfury in each hand of a Monk will both procs work out?? I mean... will you do the 2XX% of Thunderfury + 12XX% poison nova of Monarch's? If so... wouldnt it be damn op??

jrcbandit

So I got a Cindercoat and a level 60 Mask of Jeram for my WD. I was going to run Vampire Bats to spawn Fetishes, but what other flame spells should I use? I also have a bracer (legendary) and amulet with fire damage, but should the amulet be physical damage instead for the pets? I also have an extra Stone of Jordan that I could re-roll for fire or physical, but it lacks cc, chd, or as.

No but Vampire bats with good attack speed can spawn fetish sycophants fairly frequently due to how many attacks it gets per second.

With something like 2.3-2.4 attack speed, you can be attacking up to 5 hits per second with Vamp Bats which is 5 different times that Fetishes can spawn.

Vamp Bats also just costs 0 mana channeling and does pretty decent damage as well if you have some pieces that give +% bonuses.

My Fetishes currently hit for 1.8mil - 2.0mil and I don't even have a Mask of Jeram yet. So with the Mask I will be hitting for about 4mil a hit per fetish.
I used spirit barrage and it worked great so far, But I'll try this build, sounds cool
Firbats attacks faster than Spirit Barrage?

DSmalls84

Found a Scourge last night that was a 50k damage loss over my equipped weapon. Decided to try it out and see what the proc skill did, and I'm happy I did. The skill procs for like 6 mil aoe damage every few seconds! Great sword and kills stuff faster than my vanilla Blackguard did. Nice to see items that can be game changers without just having superior stats.

BPoole

I am completely hooked on this game. This was actually my first Diablo game since I avoided it with the RMAH and bad loot system, but I went ahead and bought it last week and already have 50 hours into it. Got my Wizard to level 70(20) and am loving Adventure mode. I feel this game easily tops Torchlight 2 at this point.

DSmalls84

Continue to gear up and it gets easier. I'm sitting at 860k damage now and T1 is a breeze to solo. Also check back a few pages in the thread. Many of us posted builds we were using that do not require long CD skills. It gets better :)

ferr

New Windforce (48%KB) and Blind Faith. Decked out in black and gold
xBWwXZP.png

Reminds me of black and gold armor used in record of lodoss war.
15226.jpg

mandiller

I've been trying to connect to the Americas server and it says there is a temporary outage then boots me out of the game. Is everyone experiencing that?

Has anyone tried doing heart of sin runs on T6 and JUST going after chests and not killing anything? I heard you can get a lot legs this way or was it nerfed?

tinantlu

So I got a Cindercoat and a level 60 Mask of Jeram for my WD. I was going to run Vampire Bats to spawn Fetishes, but what other flame spells should I use? I also have a bracer (legendary) and amulet with fire damage, but should the amulet be physical damage instead for the pets? I also have an extra Stone of Jordan that I could re-roll for fire or physical, but it lacks cc, chd, or as.

The Locust Swarm with fire damage rune, plus some version of Fire Bomb would be a good start.

I run a build with firebats, locust swarm, and piranado, and it is very effective. With the passive that makes the casts last "forever" it's just a set it and forget it type thing, then start nuking with the firebats. Let your little guys take care of the rest.

Fetishes do benefit from +physical, but I would say either physical or fire would be good, since you are stacking fire you might see better results with the locust swarm.

Man, even on expert that final Act V battle was intense as shit! I was more excited to unlock adventure mode than beat the game. I was able to complete the Act I bounties and get one of those loot bundles. God damn it is satisfying unpacking those. Can't wait to hoard a bunch and loot-gasim.

This expansion is so damn fun.

DSmalls84

Really want to start gering my WD again once I get my Crusader the last few legendary pieces I want (Still no Boots, Helm, or Shield.) Pirahnado is such an awesome skill.

Might as well ask here since I've tried to Google but haven't been able to find a definitive answer...

Does anyone know if the +meteor damage and +elemental damage has any effect on the meteors summoned by the wizard's Tal Tasha 4 set? I'd test myself but I can't see all the numbers with so many meteors flying around.

Exactly why I feel it's a PR move and not an intelligent design decision. People will scream P2W even when it's not.

Its an intelligent move if they want to bring in new players and sell more copies of the game to former Diablo fans put off by the rather obvious money grab that the game was originally. The fact that D3 was basically an eBay simulator didnt sit right with me or my circle of friends, for example. And yet most/all of us are now excited to play the game because Blizzard finally gave us a monster killing/loot hoarding game to get excited about.

Regardless of its original intent, the very existence of the AH undermined the entire central point of the game (their words in the press release were spot on in this regard). Over time the AH became synonymous with the game being a rip-off that not only wanted to charge $60 up front but also used FTP principles and require you spend more $$$ in the RMAH to stay competitive and progress. A FTP game design that isnt free = no thanks. Now that RMAH is gone many people who loved D2 but wouldnt touch this shit will pick it up.

Personally, I felt betrayed by the original design with the AH. Blizzard went from being one of my favorite developers to basically a bunch of Wall Street inspired pricks trying to disguise a money generation machine as a game. Now that the AH is dead and gone - good riddance - Im looking forward to D3 on PS4.

garath

Finally broke 600k on my DH. Still only about 4.5mil toughness but it's enough that I survive. I think I need more lifesteal though. I seem to chug more pots than I used to.

Still looking for a nice bow. I'm making do with a 2400dps 1h xbow that I rerolled with a socket but I need a solid weapon. My monk friend that I duo with got a 2950 dps staff last night. Man, what I would do with a 2950dps weapon. sigh.

Tried out a new grenade based build last night. It seemed ok. I miss the constant slows from frozen arrow and entangling shot though. The slows make it SO much easier to kite. I was running around frantically last night trying to stay away long enough to explode mobs.

Kssio_Aug

Has anyone tried doing heart of sin runs on T6 and JUST going after chests and not killing anything? I heard you can get a lot legs this way or was it nerfed?

I think I've read the same topic as you at D3 official forum. But man, I can't understand all of those complains about the drop rate!

I mean... I believe the reward system needs some improvements, need some balance to make higher levels of difficulty more interesting to play to loot then Normal or T1 only, but I believe this will be fixed by Blizzard soon. HOWEVER drop rate is not really the problem here! I get that sometimes the RNG do not help and give you nothing, but when you're with the "good RNG" you will drop stuff! The luck times come and go away to everyone.

I can't stand this guys saying that the drop rate need to be even higher!! Come on... theyre asking to a drop rate like 2 legs per hour (if not more, later)... and that seems too much and would definitely hurt the game in a period of time! I believe that Blizzard should find a way to make higher levels of difficulty more rewarding without prejudice the lower levels, and then implementate a more smart system (like percentage of chance to drop legendaries that roll stats higher then the ones youre using). Maybe even a better chance to loot with better rolls at higher levels. But no way they should rise the drop rate even more to please this guys who want a collection of legs per day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom